Volition working on new Saints Row game

HairyFist87

Jun 17, 2018
Saints row 2 or 3 style is good for me. Happy for it to be completely outrageous but that super hero shit was just annoying and not what I wanted from a SR game.

Matthew77

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Massachusetts
Guaranteed in, love Volition and a second playthrough of AoM without anticipation softened my feelings on it, it wasn’t bad as all as much as they made their version of a hero shooter but it was single player with no online. I think if it had online it’s rep might be somewhat different. All the pieces are there it’s the connective tissue that dropped the ball.

And while I also would love to see a return to an older franchise SR is fine and I am in.

CD_93

Dec 12, 2017
Friendly reminder that THQ held an AMA on 8chan (now defunct website known for being delisted off Google because of all the child abuse material), and at least one THQ executive felt perfectly comfortable responding to posts that contained drawn underage girls being groped and homophobic slurs~
...there are multiple layers between those executives and Volition.

Oct 28, 2017
Yay! Whatever style of Saints Row we get, I'm excited. Over the top superhero shit or a return to the series roots, I look forward to more Saints Row.

Grayswandir

Jul 26, 2019
Really hope it has a serious Saints Row 2 vibe. By far the best in the series. It's not that I disliked SRIV (far from it, it was really fun), but that particular direction and the ever-growing meta-humor resulted in my not really giving a shit enough to ever play Gat out of Hell.

I can't support THQN so I'll probably try to buy it from Craigslist or something that'll deny them money they'd get from me. I'd always rather play things like this on PC, but there's no good way to buy a copy without supporting total shitfaces.

Zelas

Oct 25, 2017
SR name doesnt get me excited anymore. Add in THQ and I’ll definitely be skipping.

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Finally, cant wait to see how it turns out.

But I wish they would remaster or re-release the first one and remaster the second one too.

Oct 27, 2017
Crazy to think that were gonna go an entire console generation without a new saints row game. I guess its joining the same club as gta and the elder scrolls

Oct 27, 2017
Sweet. I like each of the games in the series to varying degrees (SR2 is by far the best, with 4 next in line), so I'm definitely hoping this turns out great. Although I think a lot of the people that made the old games are gone from the company.

Richter1887

Oct 27, 2017
I want to be excited but god damn THQ is involved...
Did you even play Saints Row 2?

Did GTA let you make your own male/female/trans/fat/anorexic badass with 6 distinct voice options and 4 different fighting styles? Commit ragdoll insurance fraud? Spray shit all over the city with a sceptic truck? Surf taxis naked? Take down pirates/ninjas for a cop show? Stride along with your pimp cane which doubles as a shotgun and slap everyone into space with your pimp hand? Power yourself up in the middle of a gunfight by smoking a doobie downing a 40oz? Have anonymous sex in a public bathroom? Melee pedestrians with any road sign you yank out of the ground? Fight a kill bill inspired samurai gang and have a boss battle with katanas? Force your archnemesis to accidentally roll over his gf in a monster truck as revenge for your homie?

Saints Row was ridiculous in the 2nd installment, it's only the people who didn't pay attention who thinks it's like GTA.

Morever, it is over the top in the best way, like Pulp Fiction or Die Hard, it sets up a grounded context and then transcends that context to become ridiculous and surprising, making the small feel big. SR3 and SR4 starts at 11 and keeps bombarding the player at 11, and soon nothing is of consequence or surprise, since all of it is ridiculous. And when everything is ridiculous...

All of that.

Chris Best

Dec 10, 2017
Hope it goes back to being more grounded like saints row 2. 3 and on just got too crazy. Especially didnt like the superhero alien thing

ArgyleReptile

Oct 25, 2017
Jesus it's been that long?

I'm happy to hear they're working on it. It's one of my favorite series.

I hope it's more middle ground like 3, but either way, I hope it's as expansive and detailed as 2. Still the best open world game I've played.

I also hope they got more time and resources for this one. I enjoyed AoM, but it was definitely undercooked.

CD_93

Dec 12, 2017
The money is still going to THQ.
For sure. But if people don't want to send money to bad high level execs in the video games industry, they'll have to stop buying AAA video games completely - not just those in the publishing arms of those that got caught.

There will be plenty of people at Deep Silver and Volition that do deserve to be paid assuming the product is good.

FluxWaveZ

Oct 25, 2017
Did you even play Saints Row 2?

Did GTA let you make your own male/female/trans/fat/anorexic badass with 6 distinct voice options and 4 different fighting styles? Commit ragdoll insurance fraud? Spray shit all over the city with a sceptic truck? Surf taxis naked? Take down pirates/ninjas for a cop show? Stride along with your pimp cane which doubles as a shotgun and slap everyone into space with your pimp hand? Power yourself up in the middle of a gunfight by smoking a doobie downing a 40oz? Have anonymous sex in a public bathroom? Melee pedestrians with any road sign you yank out of the ground? Fight a kill bill inspired samurai gang and have a boss battle with katanas? Force your archnemesis to accidentally roll over his gf in a monster truck as revenge for your homie?

Saints Row was ridiculous in the 2nd installment, it's only the people who didn't pay attention who thinks it's like GTA.

Morever, it is over the top in the best way, like Pulp Fiction or Die Hard, it sets up a grounded context and then transcends that context to become ridiculous and surprising, making the small feel big. SR3 and SR4 starts at 11 and keeps bombarding the player at 11, and soon nothing is of consequence or surprise, since all of it is ridiculous. And when everything is ridiculous...

Another quote, because this is what it comes down to. SR4 already reached the point where I reacted to everything, including the ending, with a shrug.

TheDanger

Oct 28, 2017
nice, please spend some more effort and money on the city this time.

3 and IV are nice games, but the map really hurts the games. It’s just bland with not enough details for the most part.

Especially the fake steelport in IV was really bad and uninspired.

Oct 29, 2017
Thank god, it's been long enough. And I actually kinda enjoyed Agents of Mayhem. Just teleport Daisy into the proper Saints Row universe and it'll be all good.

AYZON

Oct 29, 2017
Germany
Thats really good to hear, after agents of mayhem I was slightly worried they might be in trouble.
I hope this time they can either ditch or significantly upgrade their engine, after 4 (?) games in it looking, feeling and playing almost the same it got pretty old.

Also no super powers please, saints row has never been a difficult game but those made it feel like a lego game where nothing feels challenging.

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
I didn't like SR3 but was really into 4. So I'm cautiously optimistic.

In 4 I didn't really like how vehicles were made completely obsolete, but all the superhero stuff was just extremely fun. It reminded me of platformers from back in the day.

The Archon

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Hope it’s like Saints 3, it was a good balance between saints shenanigans and grounded gameplay.

The powers were a really cool interesting take, but I think i prefer SR3 gameplay

Slayven

You probably post about me on another board.
Oct 25, 2017
I am one fo the 5 people that love agents of mayhem, to me SR is at it's best when it is over the top and doing it's own thing. It's one of the reasons it's the GTA clone that lasted the longest

Rob

Oct 25, 2017
SATX
I loved all of the Saints Row games, but I’d be cool if they scaled back the powers and focused on a new group of Saints.