• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Gonna just say i'm a bit disappointed. Was hoping Volition would either go back to Red Faction or do something else.
Though I suppose Agents of Mayhem underperforming forced them back into their old money maker.

Hopefully the newest title is fresh and goes with one of the endings in Gat out of Hell.
Particularly this one,

Zips

Oct 25, 2017
1. I wonder how that studio is right now after the mass layoffs a number of years back. I know that some of the old team returned recently (including one of the original founders), so that's a positive sign.

2. Please at least be better than Agents of Mayhem.

Edit: Ah... right... THQ.

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully they go back to the roots. Saints Row 2 was the best one.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
Thank God we finally got an official announcement. Gat Out of Hell just wasn't enough, and SR4 is one of my favorite games ever. I can't wait to see what direction they plan to take the series in.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, another story with the tone of SR2 would be great. I enjoyed the hell out of SR3, but 2 had just the right of grit and gravity to it that made it excellent. If it had SR3's gameplay, SR2 would be the best open world sandbox ever.

flaxknuckles

Oct 25, 2017
It must be the other AAA game along with Dead Island 2 that Deep Silver's putting out next year. I hope it gets revealed soon because I am fucking itching over here.

Deleted member 1839

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Gonna just say i'm a bit disappointed. Was hoping Volition would either go back to Red Faction or do something else.
Though I suppose Agents of Mayhem underperforming forced them back into their old money maker.

Hopefully the newest title is fresh and goes with one of the endings in Gat out of Hell.
Particularly this one,

Wasn't a new Red Faction accidentally leaked? Might even be revealed at gamescom.

Silver-Streak

Oct 25, 2017

Particularly this one,

I hate to have to be the one to break this to you, but Agents of Mayhem was literally based off this ending.

Agents of Mayhem was their not-so-secret Saints Row reboot.

Last edited:

DarkDetective

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Volition employed 148 people (of which 132 direct developers) shortly after Koch Media was bought by THQ Nordic. However, Agents of Mayhem was already released before that acquisition, so they didn't have the rights to use the Red Faction IP back then (unless some special deal between Deep Silver and THQ Nordic was made at the time). So this makes most sense, and it's happening. This is most likely one of the two AAA games that is coming out before March 2021. I wonder if it will have a cross-gen release.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Wow. Has it really been that long?

Technically, Agents of Mayhem is in the Saints Row Universe (With more than just cursory nods
I hate to have to be the one to break this to you, but Agents of Mayhem was literally based off this ending.

Agents of Mayhem was their not-so-secret Saints Row reboot.

I beat Agents of Mayhem lol. When I say using that ending, I mean keeping it modern times and doing the whole "bad cop" angle. That's on me for not being more specific.

Natiko

Oct 25, 2017
About time. I hope it's good. Never did get around to playing Agents of Maybem since I heard nothing but negative feedback.

Technesis

Apr 13, 2019
Have they actually come out and said it now ? They said they have been working on something for a while now but never outed it was Saints Row (even though we all knew it was).

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018
I feel like this series' time has passed, and unless they're retracing their steps to achieve something closer to SR2, then I certainly don't want it.

TheAbsolution

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta, GA
Only if they return to the best game of the series, SR2, will I be hyped for this one. Can't wait to see what they've got cooked up, it's been too long!

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Not surprising, but it needs to have a clear direction. And I think that also means it can't devolve further into a parody of itself. Regardless of one's opinions of where the series went (I'm on the side that SR2 was the peak with its balance between humor and drama), the escalation of absurdity wouldn't be able to maintain itself past SR4. They need to scale things back.

Zero-ELEC

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
México
Friendly reminder that THQ held an AMA on 8chan (now defunct website known for being delisted off Google because of all the child abuse material), and at least one THQ executive felt perfectly comfortable responding to posts that contained drawn underage girls being groped and homophobic slurs~

flaxknuckles

Oct 25, 2017
Not surprising, but it needs to have a clear direction. And I think that also means it can't devolve further into a parody of itself. Regardless of one's opinions of where the series went (I'm on the side that SR2 was the peak with its balance between humor and drama), the escalation of absurdity wouldn't be able to maintain itself past SR4. They need to scale things back.
I already see it now. A piano riff plays and then a gangster jumps out of a helicopter with dildo bat rotor blades and powers bombs a purple ninja turtle into gibs. The Saints Row Episode Five logo shows up and the trailer ends.

ColdSun

Together, we are strangers
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I'd be down for some more SR3. Not so much SR4. Either way, I'm glad they're making a proper Saints Row and not something along the lines of AoM.

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
They really need to do something different, move away from the futuristic/super over the top stuff imo, the last ones felt like Crackdown in terms of setting and it really didn't help it.

I'd love to see one that goes back more to being about the gangs and coming up in one/starting out, etc. You can still have the comedy and weirdness but just dial it back to where it's more Boyz n the Hood and a little less Pootie Tang.

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
After Agents of Mayhem i dont really care what the direction is as long as it has a decent budget and writing, AoM had neither

ColdSun

Together, we are strangers
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
A saints row time traveling game? I'd be so in. Saints Row Western portion? Old England. So in.

bulletyen

Nov 12, 2017
Gang bangers are now out of style, I wonder what the saints will manifest themselves as this time. I wouldn't mind cops, but I'm done with the old characters. I hope it's a hard reboot without any of the old characters which I loved at some point but have been played out.

Personally I would like to see the Saints become a group of underworld assassins ala John Wick.
Mark Dacasco's boss character which balanced dangerously violent but darkly comical (sometimes just plain comical) gave me serious Saints Row 2 vibes. Hell his whole gang of ninjas on motorcycles gave me Ronin gang vibes.

source.gif

giphy.gif

(in celebration of the lovably glitchy games of Volition)

Faenix1

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
If it's just saints row 3-3 (IV was a glorified 3 expansion), then hell no.

If it's an actual new entry, then count me in.