• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
For the love of God, please drop all the superhero rubbish. Redo SR1 and go back to the good old GTS clone days.

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
After Crackdown 3 being as bad as it was i really hope the next Saints Row will let us use powers again (like in IV).

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
Damn yes!
As a SR 3 and 4 fan, i really hope they still go with the absolute crazy. I dont want a semi copy of GTA. Im also sad for them that agents of mayhem didnt work out, with a little polish that would have been a great spinoff series.
I would love if it finally looked graphically similar to the saints row 3 cgi trailer.

I havent read the thread but im sure people are already asking for it to be more like 2. Nah mate, dont @ me.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
Please be for Switch! Diversity on Switch sucks ass and Saints Row V could be fill the absence of sandbox action games. The Third is already in the system, you know the audience is familiar with it...

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
Better be a continuation of Saints Row IV and not a reboot.

The Saints need to go interstellar.

Nacery

Jul 11, 2018
I really liked certain aspects of Agents of Mayhem specially the character designs and the balance between superhero/I still need vehicles. Hope they get the best parts from it and manage to make a great game.

Bjoern

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Hopefully they go back to the roots. Saints Row 2 was the best one.
I'm sure they won't.
The over-the-top zaniness of SR3 and 4 sols copies and was majorly accepted (I certainly liked it more), so as a personal opinion I certainly hope they go as crazy as they went with SR3 and 4.

I mean, if you wanna play GTA, why not go and play GTA?

Yazuka

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
I hope it will be more like SR2 or SR3.
I do like 4 but the superpowers took away some of the fun for me.

Camisado

Nov 3, 2017
Yeah, the only way of capturing my interest on anything Saints Row now would be basically a complete reboot.

Tone it way back down to the GTA style it started with and then let it grow naturally outwards again, if they try and force humour or 'wacky' superhero stuff it'll just feel as forced as Gat out of hell did, and no one wants that.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure they won't.
The over-the-top zaniness of SR3 and 4 sols copies and was majorly accepted (I certainly liked it more), so as a personal opinion I certainly hope they go as crazy as they went with SR3 and 4.

Basically.

Yeah, the only way of capturing my interest on anything Saints Row now would be basically a complete reboot.

Tone it way back down to the GTA style it started with and then let it grow naturally outwards again, if they try and force humour or 'wacky' superhero stuff it'll just feel as forced as Gat out of hell did, and no one wants that.

Except sales say otherwise. And me, and the guy above.
The only times i hear people praise 2 so much are here. Everyone that likes the series that I know IRL are like SR2 and 1? The little bit more funny and worse copies of GTA?

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Time travel is up for the taking.

The saints could find a time machine that not even Zinyak dared to try (because it could destroy the timelines, etc.) but one of the saints jus go "fuck it" and activates it...

They could go so extremely crazy and interact with some of biggest personalities of all time.

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
Time travel is up for the taking.

The saints could find a time machine that not even Zinyak dared to try (because it could destroy the timelines, etc.) but one of the saints jus go "fuck it" and activates it...

They could go so extremely crazy and interact with some of biggest personalities of all time.
Meet up with Abraham Lincoln and George Washington to give the world a stealth Conduit 2 sequel.

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This is an opinion I've honestly not heard before in my life. I thought Saints Row 2 was a mess, and never really heard anyone heap praise upon it.

Weird since it's a pretty common one. It at the perfect balance between activities, engaging story and fun gameplay and good mission design.

I'm sure they won't.

SR2 is not like GTA though.

Completely different take on the genre. That's like saying there's no need for Splinter Cell because Hitman or MGS exist.

Oct 27, 2017
I've no interest in the franchise but I welcome more games trying to take on GTA. I'd prefer if they went back to a more realistic style personally. I also expect this will be a full series reboot.

Obligatory fuck THQN comment as well.

bulletyen

Nov 12, 2017
I'm sure they won't.

Did you even play Saints Row 2?

Did GTA let you make your own male/female/trans/fat/anorexic badass with 6 distinct voice options and 4 different fighting styles? Commit ragdoll insurance fraud? Spray shit all over the city with a sceptic truck? Surf taxis naked? Take down pirates/ninjas for a cop show? Stride along with your pimp cane which doubles as a shotgun and slap everyone into space with your pimp hand? Power yourself up in the middle of a gunfight by smoking a doobie downing a 40oz? Have anonymous sex in a public bathroom? Melee pedestrians with any road sign you yank out of the ground? Fight a kill bill inspired samurai gang and have a boss battle with katanas? Force your archnemesis to accidentally roll over his gf in a monster truck as revenge for your homie?

Saints Row was ridiculous in the 2nd installment, it's only the people who didn't pay attention who thinks it's like GTA.

Morever, it is over the top in the best way, like Pulp Fiction or Die Hard, it sets up a grounded context and then transcends that context to become ridiculous and surprising, making the small feel big. SR3 and SR4 starts at 11 and keeps bombarding the player at 11, and soon nothing is of consequence or surprise, since all of it is ridiculous. And when everything is ridiculous...

u1XQzVU.gif

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
sr 2 is indeed the superior game and i'm happy most real ones in here know it too. sr3 was a total letdown in comparison. fun gameplay but bland city and missions were a complete downgrade

ara

Oct 26, 2017
They're gonna have to go back to SR2 style to get me interested at all. 3 was still okay, but 4 was massively disappointing.

Did GTA let you make your own male/female/trans/fat/anorexic badass with 6 distinct voice options and 4 different fighting styles? Commit ragdoll insurance fraud? Spray shit all over the city with a sceptic truck? Surf taxis naked? Take down pirates/ninjas for a cop show? Stride along with your pimp cane which doubles as a shotgun and slap everyone into space with your pimp hand? Power yourself up in the middle of a gunfight by smoking a doobie downing a 40oz? Have anonymous sex in a public bathroom? Melee pedestrians with any road sign you yank out of the ground? Fight a kill bill inspired samurai gang and have a boss battle with katanas? Force your archnemesis to accidentally roll over his gf in a monster truck as revenge for your homie?

Saints Row was ridiculous in the 2nd installment, it's only the people who didn't pay attention who thinks it's like GTA.

Morever, it is over the top in the best way, like Pulp Fiction or Die Hard, it sets up a grounded context and then transcends that context to become ridiculous and surprising, making the small feel big. SR3 and SR4 starts at 11 and keeps bombarding the player at 11, and soon nothing is of consequence or surprise, since all of it is ridiculous. And when everything is ridiculous...

u1XQzVU.gif

Could not agree more. SR2 hits the balance between sort-of-grounded and insanely dumb madness perfectly.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully it's nothing like SR2 and either keeps the continuity of IV with crazy superpowers, or something a bit more grounded but still goes insane like Third.

I'm seriously craving a new Saints Row. It's been so long.

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

u1XQzVU.gif

Exactly this, really feels like we didn't play the same game when people compares SR2 to GTA.

Oct 27, 2017
Basically.

Except sales say otherwise. And me, and the guy above.
The only times i hear people praise 2 so much are here. Everyone that likes the series that I know IRL are like SR2 and 1? The little bit more funny and worse copies of GTA?

Sales aren't the absolute deciding factor in a series' quality though. Typically as a series becomes bigger and more well known the sequels sell better than the first. To a point, of course.

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
After Agents of Mayhem, I can't see it this being very good, but I'll keep an eye on it.

If it goes back to SR1/SR2 and tries to have an actual plot and focuses less on superhero shit, it might be good.

daninthemix

Nov 2, 2017
I'd like a simple SR1 and SR2 remaster please. SR2 is not fit for purpose on PC, and SR1 was never released.

Elephant

Nov 2, 2017
Nottingham, UK
Yes! 3 & 4 were two of the games I had most fun with last gen. They're not masterpieces by any means, they were just highly enjoyable. I mean my two favourite moments of SR3 were the main protag singing along to Sublime in the car at the start of the game, and Bonnie Tyler's "I Need a Hero" kicking in and playing over the last mission. It's simple stuff and a great break from all the games that take themselves seriously.

overcast

Oct 25, 2017
They'll have to ground this just a bit more. I feel like saints row was more popular as a GTA clone.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I don't mind them doing powers again if they have an interesting city. Steelport is okay but it wasn't designed for those powers and just felt bland in 4. Though with how Agents of Mayhem went, I imagine they'll go more grounded, well as grounded as 2 and 3 were.

Flon

Is Here to Kill Chaos
Oct 27, 2017
I wonder what it'll be like.

I have this weird mentality where I finished Saints Row up to 3, and while I did enjoy the third one a lot it also ensured I wasn't interested in 4 when that was shown. Maybe it just went too far in the wacky direction and 3 already filled me on that.

Dandy

Oct 25, 2017
Gonna just say i'm a bit disappointed. Was hoping Volition would either go back to Red Faction or do something else.
Though I suppose Agents of Mayhem underperforming forced them back into their old money maker.

Hopefully the newest title is fresh and goes with one of the endings in Gat out of Hell.
Particularly this one,

I'm a bit disappointed as well, despite loving SR4. I really wanted them to take the whole superhero thing to the next level and do a game specifically all about heroes/villains. The whole criminal gang thing does nothing for me. But you're right... Agents of Mayhem was them trying something new, and it tanked so they probably feel like they need to go with something safe.