• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
I hope it's a continuation of the story from IV. I wanna see what batshit crazy things they can come up with regarding time travel.

King Alamat

Nov 22, 2017
nice, please spend some more effort and money on the city this time.

3 and IV are nice games, but the map really hurts the games. It's just bland with not enough details for the most part.

Especially the fake steelport in IV was really bad and uninspired.
Steelport is legit one of the worst cities I've ever explored in an open-world game, it's like someone fed an AI maps of the most ho-hum cities in the flyover states.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
I hope this leads to them also doing a Saints Row 1 and 2 remaster at some point. I didn't jump into the series until 3, and never got the chance to play part 2. Something tells me I would've enjoyed SR 4 even more than I did.

And maybe I need to check out Agents of Mayhem. The blah reviews kind of made me shy away from it, but an offline, single-player shooter is something that I've been missing for a long time.

Megawarrior

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully it's more like 3 but not a 60$ expansion pack this time. I play that game at least once a year.

Oct 29, 2017
And maybe I need to check out Agents of Mayhem. The blah reviews kind of made me shy away from it, but an offline, single-player shooter is something that I've been missing for a long time.

Gameplay-wise it's roughly in the same ballpark as SR3. The G.I. Joe/Saturday morning cartoon vibe is either going to hit or miss with you (it didn't do much for me) and the setting and characters are overall just not as engaging as the Saints crew (even though several of them are literally alternate-universe versions of Saints characters). It's far from a terrible game though.

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I hope it's a continuation of the story from IV. I wanna see what batshit crazy things they can come up with regarding time travel.

I don't even care about time travel just set it in the far future with the saints having established an intergalactic empire and we get to play Saints Row: Freespace. I want Jane Austin on my wing.

DarkStream

Oct 27, 2017
Time to dial it back.
Saints Row 3 was amazing. Tremendous game despite the repetitive side content.

Saints Row 4 went too far with the superpowers etc.
It didn't feel exciting anymore. The side content felt more monotonous.

FAKE EDIT: Kanye West - Power is the opener to every workout of mine since then. So good.

Nov 14, 2017
I honestly don't know why that went over some folks heads when it came to that game.
People just didn't know what the game was. If it was a Saints Row sequel, it's not what they wanted. Was it an Overwatch clone? Was there multiplayer? Why is there no multiplayer in this Overwatch clone?

Deep Silver completely shat the bed with the marketing. Every trailer was basically just "character shoots a thing, it blows up, character switches to second character, repeat, maybe one of them does their ult".

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
A saints row time traveling game? I'd be so in. Saints Row Western portion? Old England. So in.

Actually city sandbox game that used time travel as a gameplay and story mechanic would be incredibly refreshing and exciting. 4-5 versions of the city, all in different eras would be so cool to see. Obviously it would be hard to do and expensive, but they could go for a smaller city and some of the eras, like the prehistoric one, would probably be easier to make because you really wouldnt made a huge city in that version of a the map.

This is an opinion I've honestly not heard before in my life. I thought Saints Row 2 was a mess, and never really heard anyone heap praise upon it.
Resetera now and neogaf at the time both LOVED saints row 2. I wouldnt call it a similar thing to the love mario sunshine gets, because saints row 2 is a better game, but the way it didnt stand out from GTA (only thing were that you could make your own character and some of the funky sidestuff) makes me always suprised when i see the praise. I suppose that with gta getting more serious and saints row getting more funky the middle ground that gta san andreas and saints row 2 had of serious but slight comedy doesnt exist anymore, but honestly, as someone who was bored of saints row 2 and gta san andreas stories i dont want volition to ever go back to that.

Its true that the city of sr2 was actually better than sr3 and 4, but other than that and some funny mechanics 2 had i dont want to ger back to that style of game.

Dinda

Oct 27, 2017
Glad that it's finally confirmed, love Saints Row.
I would love if it would be a Reboot. But even if it isn't the superpowers have to go 100%. They themselves weren't bad, but it totally destroyed the rest of the game. No need to drive or anything....stupid collectibles everywhere so that i have reason to jump everywhere....
Naahh, go back to the old "GTA but fun" gameplay.. It can be as stupid as 3 no problem, or a bit more serious like before, just not like it has been after 3.

Also, i would like it go back to a more realistic look graphics wise. (Just the look of the game overall, customization etc should stay as crazy as before)

Village

Oct 25, 2017
Not surprising, but it needs to have a clear direction. And I think that also means it can't devolve further into a parody of itself. Regardless of one's opinions of where the series went (I'm on the side that SR2 was the peak with its balance between humor and drama), the escalation of absurdity wouldn't be able to maintain itself past SR4. They need to scale things back.
Yeah it can, they use the time machine and they start being gangsta's in time.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
That does not sound compelling to me, and it would focus on more "lol random" comedy for the story instead of a character driven one, which is what I want.
I dunno I liked saint's row 3 and 4 and found them pretty compelling espically four in terms of characters. 4 litterally let you get into the mind of all of your homies see what they are about look at their insecurities their desires things like that. It was genuinely interesting, I feel like people miss that part when they think of 4 because " lol presidents and aliens " but alot of the character to character stuff in that game is actually really well done.

I have confidence if they go through time pretty interesting character perspective on wherever they end up.

LuigiMario

Oct 28, 2017
If it plays like a reboot with the humor of 2/3 and solid gameplay mechanics I could see it being a hit. We're probably still 3-4 years off from a new GTA so a Saint's Row hitting in 2021 on new systems could be a big hit.

bulletyen

Nov 12, 2017
Why is playing an 80s action cartoon a hard sell?
80s action cartoon is not a hard sell, AoM didn't do it right. Too many characters, many which felt too similar or are bland (and ugly), didn't commit to the cheesy but sincere histrionic charm of 80s cartoons(Filmation, Transformers, GI Joe) by being too snarky and adult with the humor. The shooting was too chaotic, missions too repetitive and lacking the variety of SR, gamebreaking glitches everywhere, city totally lifeless. Even something so basic like traversal didn't feel good.

I hope they move as far away as possible, stylistically and tonally from this whole AoM affair for the next SR proper. Given its failure, they'd be smart to rethink the whole thing.

Aswitch

Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
While i'll pick it up anyway, I hope it will be more like SR3. I think that game kept a great balance of the right amount of zaniness and (somewhat) realism similar to the classic Grand theft Auto games. Not a huge fan of how far off the rails SR4 and beyond went.

ShinyKyurem

Jul 11, 2019
Can't wait for it! I loved both SR3 and SR4. I think that going that far with the crazy stuff like the superpowers is what makes the game unique, it's like its sign of identity.

CyclotronHGA

Oct 26, 2017
As much as I enjoyed SR IV, I hope this new entry is a little less goofy and doesn't have super powers. A mix of SR 2 and 3 would be perfect.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
The actual issue with Saints Row 4 is that the open world was mostly a relic carried over from SR3. It was clear most of the unique gameplay and even location design were used for one off story locations, separate from the virtual Steel Port, which wasn't even really expanded in spite of reusing the map from SR3.

I think a time travel premise could be interesting and unique for an open world game, but they likely don't have resources to pull it off, so stepping back to something more "normal" might be the best choice.

The_R3medy

Jan 22, 2018
Wisconsin
That's exciting! Wish Volition was doing a full Red Faction instead, but this is great. I was assuming their next game would be coming out next year, as I was poking around their website for tester jobs and found the contract would be ending next Summer. Hope everything goes smoothly for them!

TissueBox

Oct 25, 2017
Urinated States of America
Is...is this for REAL!?

Saints Row... is returning..!!? You know what that means.

*brings out radio*

SING-ALONG TIME!!

But wait.

There's nowhere else for it to go story-wise, and considering what Agents of Mayhem introduces to the lore...

Does that mean, considering this is legit, it may be a reboot of some sort??

I'll miss The Boss and the gang, their story is one of the most genuine feel-good romps in the business.

GamerDude

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This is an opinion I've honestly not heard before in my life. I thought Saints Row 2 was a mess, and never really heard anyone heap praise upon it.

WTF are you talking about? It's a very commonly held opinion. I find it extremely hard to believe you haven't seen that opinion before.

P.S. Saints Row 2 is easily the best in the series.

Ankit Gaba

Banned
Mar 27, 2020
twitter.com

Saints Row on Twitter

“@_sailorsteph A new Saints Row game is in development from @dsvolition. The Saints Row: The Third remaster is being done by Sperasoft.”
gamingroute.com

Saints Row 5 is in Development by Volition along with the Saints Row the Third Remastered - Gaming Route

Saints Row The Third Remaster was earlier announced yesterday the official Saints Row Twitter account replied to someone asking "We didn’t ask for a saints
Their twitter page posted it earlier (Sorry about necrobumping I just wanted to let ya all know)

Oct 17, 2018
Hopefully its not as dumb as 4 was and is more similar to 2. 2 is probably some of the most fun I've had playing coop with friends where as me and my mate couldn't even finish 4 it was so bad.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
I loved 3 but there was something oddly amazing about SR2 and I would be down for a return to something like that. Still hyperreal and over the top and goofy, but not completely Looney Tunes.