• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MJPIA

Oct 25, 2017
Look at all y'all fancy voters who got stickers.
But eh a candidate was handing out candy so I'm loaded on sugary bribes.

Forgot the names of PA supreme court judges and the voting machine was confusing so I was using my phone to google their names in the booth to remember which ones to vote to retain.

lunchtoast

Oct 26, 2017
Mailed in a few weeks ago for VA. Wish everyone could vote by mail or use an online system. Things would be much different.

YaBish

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Voted a few weeks ago on an absentee ballot to give my former school district a break on the tax levy. Not that I had much choice. My uncle is the superintendent.

Zeron

Oct 27, 2017
Iowa
If anyone wants to know what it's like to live in rural Iowa: the Facebook page of one of the 2 guys running for mayor says he graduated from the "school of hard kncoks"

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like a fucking idiot and didn't know there was an election until this morning. I didn't register or anything, am I fucked?

iksenpets

Oct 26, 2017
Dallas, TX
I went and voted for all my local bonds in Dallas, plus the trivial bunch of state constitutional amendments that were up. I think I was the youngest person there by like 30 years. And it was like five people total. But we had no actually offices up for election this year, so it's somewhat understandable.

mentallyinept

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Voted in my local election here in MD... hopefully we get some good news about he results.

Trouble

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle-ish
qDRLYQo.png

_ifigured

Oct 29, 2017
Submitted my votes in Bucks County, PA. There was a nice selection of cookies and snacks.

Oct 25, 2017
Just got home from voting in Virginia Beach. Hoping Northam can pull it out, but not optimistic when it comes to the local elections. This city's voters always fail me.

hibikase

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Vote for what exactly?

OP could use some actual details. As a non-American I would like to know what this is about.

But whatever I guess

Last edited:

Andrew J

Oct 26, 2017
The Adirondacks
Voted today in upstate NY. Straight Democratic ticket for local elections, No on the constitutional convention, Yes on the other propositions and the local library budget.

Sobriquet

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Wilmington, NC
Just got back from voting. City Council and Mayor.

Important for me but the future of America isn't exactly at stake, like in the NJ and VA gubernatorial elections.

lunchtoast

Oct 26, 2017
Vote for what exactly?

OP could use some actual details. As a non-American I would like to know what this is about.

But whatever I guess
here you go

https://www.vox.com/2017/11/7/16618888/election-day-2017-polls-results

Voters in a handful of states will go to the polls today, Tuesday, November 7. Key election results to watch include the Virginia governor's race, the New Jersey governor's race, a ballot initiative to expand Medicaid in Maine, and a special election in Washington state.

ciro

Oct 27, 2017
Look at all y'all fancy voters who got stickers.
But eh a candidate was handing out candy so I'm loaded on sugary bribes.

Forgot the names of PA supreme court judges and the voting machine was confusing so I was using my phone to google their names in the booth to remember which ones to vote to retain.
Yeah, some of the lower level judges up for retention didn't have anything online except "I went to this school!" and primary info from however many years ago. They were all bar recommended, so I just did the safe no republican rule.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
I went and voted for all my local bonds in Dallas, plus the trivial bunch of state constitutional amendments that were up. I think I was the youngest person there by like 30 years. And it was like five people total. But we had no actually offices up for election this year, so it's somewhat understandable.
Prop 4 definitely isn't trivial

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Vote for what exactly?

But whatever I guess

The US typically has ~2 days a year where polling is open for specific local races... Usually state, county, city, or town races. Typically earlier in the year, states will have a primary for contested elections, or polling days earlier in the year (typically in March) are for local seats on specific boards or to affirm administrative appointments. Beyond that, though, the first Tuesday of every November (as long as that Tuesday is not November 1) is the traditional election day in the US and there are elections held every year.

This year there aren't many major national stories, really just two governor's races in Virginia and New Jersey that have national interest. Governors are basically the "president" of each state, the 'executive' of that state who will sign laws that state legislatures pass, oversee interstate business, approve the budget, etc. In the New Jersey race it has some national implications because the incoming governor of New Jersey is likely to appoint a new Congressman shortly, as a sitting Democratic congressman from New Jersey is embroiled in a bribery scandal, is going to be (or was already?) indicted, and may have to resign. If a Republican is elected governor, it's likely that he'll appoint a Republican congressman to fill the seat until the next election can take place, if a Democratic is elected governor, it'll likely be a democrat. Further, this race has some interest because the sitting governor who is leaving office when his term is up is Chris Christie, who was a Republican presidential candidate in 2016, but who was one of the first mainstream Republicans to endorse Donald Trump. While Trump has been outright rude to Christie throughout the years, Christie has become Trump's bitch and it was thought that he would be appointed to some position in the Trump administration because of his loyalty, but he wasn't.

The Virginia governors race is also being seen as a rebuke or affirmation of Trump, as the Republican candidate has run a very nationalist, populist race, much like Trump did, and it could suggest what is to come in 2018 if he wins.

Both Democrats have led in the polls, though the Virginia race is tight, just 2-3 points in most polls, which is within the margin of error and polling similarly to the presidential election last year. In New Jersey, the Democrat leads comfortably by double-digits in polls and is expected to win comfortably.

Otherwise, most elections are state and local elections. For instance, my city is electing a new mayor who will serve for 2 years, a new city council, and new school committee, who will also serve for 2 years. This is unlikely to be national, or international, news. There are no broader state-wide elections in my state in 2017, though some other states may.

Importantly, though, groups will often petition for "non-binding resolutions" during off-cycle elections. These are resolutions that are posed to get a sense of the electorate and voting trends... But many of them end up becoming binding resolutions in future votes. For instance, back in 2011 or so, there was a non-binding resolution to legalize marijuana in my state, which got well below 50%, but the trends and demographics suggested it was an issue that could pass in a major election... Which it did in 2016 when it became a binding resolution, which legalized marijuana in my state.

Last edited:

Ashdroid

Oct 27, 2017
Super envious of those who got a sticker, especially that centennial of women's voting one, Salarians.

I voted against a white supremacist sheriff (who will probably be re-elected to his fourth term...) and for a county legislator who will be giving out "free heroin injections", and I voted "Yes" on all of the NY back-of-the-ballot questions.

Last edited:

iksenpets

Oct 26, 2017
Dallas, TX
Prop 4 definitely isn't trivial

That's true. Voted against that shit. I actually voted against all of the amendments except for the ones authorizing raffles (I vote against any property tax carveout, given how hamstrung the state is by limits on revenue, even when they're hyper-tailored to be as sympathetic as possible like the ones on this vote)

Voted for all the local bonds.

LorentzFactor

Oct 25, 2017
Voted in Knoxville TN. Just 5 district places, with one official write-in. Seems pretty dumb that they still make you write her name in and not just include her on the ballot.

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
Voted in Upstate NY. My area had only uncontested Republicans running so I just voted on the propositions. Republicans won't ever get a vote of mine, especially since I can't even choose a more moderate one.

Neutra

Oct 27, 2017
NYC
Also, any other NY'ers who happen to read this, please vote NO on the constitutional Convention, as well as the use of forested land for other uses. The pension question, about forfeiting pensions of public figures convicted of a felony is up to you, as I am not sure how that would affect other, non public figures...

Do you understand the context of Ballot Proposal 3 (land account)? I voted YES and I think others should too. https://medium.com/@johndelsignore_...ion-day-s-three-ballot-questions-726018900e2c

MrRob

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Eh, my ballot was pretty lame today. Only things up for me was Township Trustee's, School Board, Issue 1 for victims rights, and Issue 2 for prescription drug pricing.
I still voted but not with any enthusiasm.

I hope today the Democratic Party can send a loud and resounding message that 'Trumpism" politics WILL NOT be tolerated.

We as a country very desperately need for Gillespie to fail. If he wins dirty ass campaigns like his are going to be much more frequent.

PLEASE Virgina-ERA go vote!!

Voted in Upstate NY. My area had only uncontested Republicans running so I just voted on the propositions. Republicans won't ever get a vote of mine, especially since I can't even choose a more moderate one.

This is ALWAYS what it's like in Ohio District 8 (john boehner district). It's maddening. I wish I could run lol.

guek

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I voted. Not much to worthwhile vote for right now in my district but whatevs, I did my civic duty and y'all should too.

The Climaxan

Oct 27, 2017
NC-USA
NC citizen checking in. Mayor and City Council is all my city is up for. Just got done reading our voting guide cover to cover and checking out a few candidates sites. I am now ready as fuck to vote.

Klotera

Oct 27, 2017
Just had one item on the ballot, special election for state senate (Jackson County, MO - basically southeastern KC and suburbs). One person was leaving the voting location as I walked in and that's the only other voter I saw there.

Voted for dem Hillary Shields.

Republicans were running the scare tactic ads against her on TV the last few weeks, about the liberal who is "too extreme for Missouri". Oh, and the republican candidate sent out cards where he called out the riots in St. Louis and saying he'll help restore law and order. He's representing Jackson County, not St. Louis, so it's obvious what he's trying to do by bringing that up.

witty_mittie3

Oct 25, 2017
Mississippi
I wish I could vote today. Nothing I can vote for in my state (MS.) There are some county elections and some district elections, but none that I can vote in. Next year should be more exciting, with one of my incumbent (R) Senators possibly being challenged by a Bannon-backed Tea Party dude.