• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
This is a very Trumpian argument tbh. I lost track of all the times I heard people talking about welfare queens sponging off of the taxpayers and then you mention that Trump basically didn't pay taxes because he exploited loopholes to full advantage and it's "well any good businessman would!"

They shouldn't be GETTING the tax breaks. They are lobbying for this shit because they want to get off as tax free as they possibly can and they're paying politicians to make it happen. They should be fucking harangued at every opportunity for how much they are getting to keep because these motherfuckers are paying for it. They aren't just waiting to see what happens and then, "Welp, I guess I got some free money!" That's not how this works.

Okay? I never said they should get breaks. I said that they don't owe you, John Q Taxpayer, anything so why would they give away the chance at free money when their ENTIRE PURPOSE as a publicly traded company is to make MORE money? You can dislike it all you want, I certainly find it sad, but it's not like consumers as a whole give a shit.

All this environmental stuff, the 100% renewable energy usage, the diversity initiatives, the privacy concerns (from Apple and a few others), the not using child labour in China etc, you think these big tech companies would do it if they *lost* money on it in the end? Maybe if we found a way to make them paying more taxes actually benefit their bottomline in a demonstrative way they would, but until then they are gonna get while the gettings good.

Keyboard

I thought kids only cared about their $1000 talking emoji machines.

Nothing else matters.

Aselith

Oct 27, 2017
Okay? I never said they should get breaks. I said that they don't owe you, John Q Taxpayer, anything so why would they give away the chance at free money when their ENTIRE PURPOSE as a publicly traded company is to make MORE money? You can dislike it all you want, I certainly find it sad, but it's not like consumers as a whole give a shit.

All this environmental stuff, the 100% renewable energy usage, the diversity initiatives, the privacy concerns (from Apple and a few others), the not using child labour in China etc, you think these big tech companies would do it if they *lost* money on it in the end? Maybe if we found a way to make them paying more taxes actually benefit their bottomline in a demonstrative way they would, but until then they are gonna get while the gettings good.

They owe us the taxes that they should be paying just like I owe them the taxes that I should be paying. As part of society, you pay your share. Companies are not. Pretty simple.

zychi

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Chicago
So does this hypothetically mean having Apple shares will be beneficial for me when this happens? Or is this strictly Tim Cook will get a 15 billion dollar stock increase and the stock price will jump a bit for normal Joes like myself?

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
Fund insurance for children from low income families for four years or $50 billion to Apple? Hmmmm.

I would say though Apple is one of the only companies I could see them actually considering trickling down some of that money.

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
Nah, Apple is just as shitty of a company.

And the thread is specifically about the huge gains Apple is going to get with the tax bill, not Amazon.

Apple is the largest taxpayer in the world. Also, Cook has publicly argued against tax policies like this. It's amazing that Apple -- one of the greenest companies in the world, who makes products that are more accessible than most any consumer electronics company, who employees 80,000 direct employees in the U.S. with decent wages, has gone up against the FBI to prevent the government from gaining access to customer records when companies like Microsoft were happy to roll over for the Feds -- is by your estimation "just as shitty of a company". I cannot disagree with your estimation more emphatically.

Oct 26, 2017
Apple is the largest taxpayer in the world. Also, Cook has publicly argued against tax policies like this. It's amazing that Apple -- one of the greenest companies in the world, who makes products that are more accessible than most any consumer electronics company, who employees 80,000 direct employees in the U.S. with decent wages, has gone up against the FBI to prevent the government from gaining access to customer records when companies like Microsoft were happy to roll over for the Feds -- is by your estimation "just as shitty of a company". I cannot disagree with your estimation more emphatically.
Isn't Apple #1 in avoiding taxes via offshore havens?

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't like apple but I'm typing this on a Macbook Air. :/

Do you know how much Apple has in the bank? Taking consumer dollars from all over the world and just hoarding it like Smaug? They can do what they want but I'm not gonna read posts like this and act like Apple is a great fucking company. Fuck that noise.

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
Do you know how much Apple has in the bank? Taking consumer dollars from all over the world and just hoarding it like Smaug? They can do what they want but I'm not gonna read posts like this and act like Apple is a great fucking company. Fuck that noise.

Welcome to every multinational corp. This is no different than the average person who gets "creative" with their tax returns, it's just at a huge scale. But people automatically think anything that large must be evil and ripping everyone else off. It's not like Apple are doing stuff others aren't, they just have more money because they're a more successful company.

Maybe you should get angry at your politicians for allowing companies to get away with this stuff, instead of getting mad at corps for taking advantage of the loopholes. If you don't want a corporatocracy or extreme wealth inequality, then fight for it.

As for me, I can recognize that these things need to change while also recognizing that Apple generally does a good job of working for the public good within the confines of being a publicly-traded corp that has to appease stockholders seeking maximum profit.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That response is Trumpian. "Hey don't blame me because I'm smart enough to take advantage of tax breaks. It makes me smart!"

I can blame both. Your worship of a company that does not care about you is weird. It's really weird.

Profit over everything else is one of the major issues facing the world.

I fight, I donate, I attend town halls. Don't presume to know anything about me. But I don't have billions to spend on corporate lobbying the way Apple does. So in reality, my opinion means dick compared to Apple's.

Apple is evil. They take money from consumers and don't invest it back in local infrastructure in any comparable way. And why? What is the point of the company having this much money? So they can hold press conferences where they pat themselves on the back because they shrunk some device by half an inch?

Mr. Wonderful

Oct 27, 2017
Fund insurance for children from low income families for four years or $50 billion to Apple? Hmmmm.

I would say though Apple is one of the only companies I could see them actually considering trickling down some of that money.
In my mind at least, the problem is, you're not just going to pay all your employees more magically, dividing up the $47 billion. Salaries wouldn't be sustainable. Bonuses would cause a certain percentage of people to quit, which wouldn't be desirable, either.

The best they could probably do is reinvest it, or do something with their own stock, which, depending on how they do so, could have a variety of different stimulus effects. This investment might be stocks, etc., helping to finance another businesses, or it could be building "Campus 3", which could put a large number of architects, engineers, tradesmen, construction workers, and so on to work. Almost like a mini stimulus package. It could also be a dividend or stock buyback, passing the wealth to stockholders.

The problem is, as others have suggested, the most likely scenario is most of it going full Smaug into bank accounts and stock investments.

Buffer

Oct 27, 2017
Apple will go on a shopping spree.

Gonna create a startup with some buzzwords and blockchain jargon. Fingers crossed I get a payout.

Charsace

Chicken Chaser
Nov 22, 2017
Can't believe people voted in the racist, Reaganomics loving idiot to be our president and to do this type of shit.

bane833

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
So they finally have the money to pay their Chinese slave workers 5 cent an hour more?

Bitsmurch

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
To be honest America, I always thought that your desire to tax repatriated money was kinda silly.

Spine Crawler

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
80000 is nothing when compared to the american populus and they have more money than the US government. its not their fault that they are so rich, they had tremendous success with a revolutionary product and kept improving their product lineup. so kudos to them. however the system as a whole is not in the right balance when a giant corporation like this has a measely 80000 people employed. it means that their spendings on the economy are not very big compared to their size and the money just is locked away in an account for the rest of the economy.

your comment about data privacy. yes it is commendable but there are reasons for that. data privacy is becomming an important sales argument in particular in europe. MS also has put their data center in germany for european customers.

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
Do you think the US should tax profits made in other countries?

Yes, the US should tax companies that operate out of the US on profits made in foreign countries, because the company, by existing in the US, is taking advantage of US things like roads, infrastructure, etc.

Anyway, these large companies usually end up paying less even with the worldwide taxation system (how it works in theory is here: https://taxfoundation.org/press-rel...tional-corporations-pay-foreign-income-taxes/), due to the way the US tax system works (https://www.npr.org/2017/08/07/5417...e-the-highest-corporate-tax-rate-in-the-world).

Ironically you get taxed as a citizen for money you make in other countries. Only the US does this.

You get a foreign tax credit, so for the most part it doesn't affect an ordinary individual that works outside of the US. There is certain kinds of income, and an income level bracket, though, that affect this. That being said, you can always carryforward the credit so...

Deleted member 2171

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
thats not entirely true. germany for example also taxes income abroad, as long as you at least have your usual domicile in germany.

The US version is distinctive because you can literally have no property or residence in the US for decades and still are technically being taxed. Of course, they'll only really try to do anything if you come back to the US.

Stick

Oct 30, 2017
oh for fucks sake, the lower (me) and middle class are going to be in a world of hurt even more than they already are once that bill goes into effect..... It's going to be scary.

Oct 28, 2017
Interesting way to look at it, but with the current population of the US being at 323 million, it means each person is paying roughly $145 to Apple. Think of it like buying an imaginary iPod.

Arx

Oct 25, 2017
As for me, I can recognize that these things need to change while also recognizing that Apple generally does a good job of working for the public good within the confines of being a publicly-traded corp that has to appease stockholders seeking maximum profit.
Apple is working for the public good?

BlinkBlank

Oct 27, 2017
They're also not obligated to, this is what people need to get over. As stated before once we get past this and begin to not act like every company needs 47 billion in tax benefits can we begin to fix shit.
So you are saying they are doing their fair share? Unless we start asking companies for what they are using, they won't!

I am not just talking about Apple, all companies.

KHarvey16

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yes, the US should tax companies that operate out of the US on profits made in foreign countries, because the company, by existing in the US, is taking advantage of US things like roads, infrastructure, etc.

So it should be taxed twice? Doesn't the US benefit from having a tax structure competitive with the rest of the world, and one that encourages money made abroad to be spent in the US and not somewhere else?

Kensation

Enlightened
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
DuckTales-gif-uncle-scrooge-mcduck-37819935-245-188.gif

Deleted member 9305

Oct 26, 2017
These big corps are like parasites. They love to profit off the people, but give as little as possible in return.

Pet

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
So it should be taxed twice? Doesn't the US benefit from having a tax structure competitive with the rest of the world, and one that encourages money made abroad to be spent in the US and not somewhere else?

It's not taxed twice.

It's taxed, in theory, the difference between what the company paid in the other country and US' tax rate.

Also don't make me laugh. If the UD abolished worldwide taxation those companies would not spend any more money in the US. The US is already perfectly competitive with the rest of the world. Also, don't buy the shit they're selling, we have tax havens in the US. Many companies have no problem sheltering and hiding the money in the US due to state laws.

Apple is an exception, but that money Apple is crying about? They never paid taxes on it on the first place, thanks to the Double Irish and other strats. Now they want to bring it into the US tax free and pay nothing on it. Fuck them.

Falchion

Oct 25, 2017
Boise
I like to imagine they've got a sock with all their cash in it and a note that says, 'money to buy Disney one day'.

BeforeU

Banned for use of alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
rich people getting richer, in america they get richer even faster. For average person like us, money gets added to our wealth, for rich people it multiplies. growth is exponential lol

PeterLegend

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
What wealth? Either you inherit your parents money (generation money) who happened to be very successful or you have to make your own.

Unfortunately I had to make my own and it's not worth much here in SoCal.

KHarvey16

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's not taxed twice.

It's taxed, in theory, the difference between what the company paid in the other country and US' tax rate.

Also don't make me laugh. If the UD abolished worldwide taxation those companies would not spend any more money in the US. The US is already perfectly competitive with the rest of the world. Also, don't buy the shit they're selling, we have tax havens in the US. Many companies have no problem sheltering and hiding the money in the US due to state laws.

Apple is an exception, but that money Apple is crying about? They never paid taxes on it on the first place, thanks to the Double Irish and other strats. Now they want to bring it into the US tax free and pay nothing on it. Fuck them.

If all of that were true, why would Apple want to bring it back into the states?

ccbfan

Oct 25, 2017
Bitch about it as much as you want but it's still better for us that they bring the money back and get a tax break than them storing the money in some off shore account.

Pet

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
If all of that were true, why would Apple want to bring it back into the states?

lol "if"? No, it is true. I only got my graduate degree in tax and work in public accounting now so I'd like to think I actually have a pretty good general understanding of this kind of stuff, but you are still totally capable of googling these things and figuring out the big picture.

Apple wants to bring it back for the same number of reasons why any large publicly traded company wants to bring money back into the states. If you're really curious, go read about what happened the last time the US gave a "tax holiday" to companies bringing money back in. (Spoiler alert: they rewarded their executives and spent money on everything but R&D, paying their employees higher wages, etc.)

Not that that matters at all why they want to bring the money back. The point is, if they do, they should rightfully be taxed on it.