• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Divvy

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
I think people are missing the point of the video, which isn't necessarily advocating for veganism or vegetarianism. They argue for a reduction in meat consumption, and especially a reduction in ruminant meat (cows, sheep, etc.) consumption.

For those that didn't watch, if everyone on the planet reduced red meat intake to once a month and cut other meat consumption to one meal a day, global greenhouse gas emissions could be cut by 14%. That is roughly equivalent to the emissions generated by all forms of transportation combined.

Edit: Reducing meat consumption is also the easiest way to reduce your individual impact on global warming and environmental degradation.

Depending on where you live and how local electricity is generated, an electric car might actually generate more emissions than a gas-powered car. Plus the production of electric vehicles generate a considerable amount of greenhouse gases, not to mention the materials that need to be mined and refined to produce them.

This seems to wildly vary from person to person. But the greatest impact by far seems to be having fewer children

Xgum5oM.jpg

That is not to say that people should be eating less meat, which they probably should.

MrT

Oct 27, 2017
I'm gonna continue stuffing my face with meat pizza until scientists figure out a good replacement for meat.
Have you tried seitan? Or things like the beyond burger?

I'd rather let cars goes away so I can keep the meat.

Funny how this subject always seems to forget about the corn,soy and wheat fields that run for miles and destroy the vegetation, habitat and our health
You mean things that are fed in huge quantities to the animals that are then killed for the meat?

Deleted member 13148

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
they don't, that's the point. the acreage of pasture needed per cow basically makes it impossible for them to have a sizable carbon footprint. Also they have significantly less waste by not being forced to consume the tons (literally) of grain that their digestive tracts are unable to handle.

HOWEVER, your last point is indeed valid, at least at a scale by which we have cheap beef available now. But I don't care, in that poor people certainly don't have a right to beef/etc. And if it works its way outside of my price range, then that's the way it is. The same how wild caught fish is an arm and a leg ($30/lb for some salmon depending on where you live)... but you get what you pay for. food raised an an environmentally responsible way (that is almost always healthier for you) costs money. if the world did away with the less environmentally responsible stuff for vegan alternatives, I'd be for that.. and still pay for the real meats.
On a CO2 per kg protein basis, there's not a significant difference in carbon footprint though, which is my point. Switching out factory farmed beef for grass fed, on a 1 to 1 ratio doesn't significantly reduce your carbon footprint.

Source

Funny how this subject always seems to forget about the corn,soy and wheat fields that run for miles and destroy the vegetation, habitat and our health
Most of those corn, soy, and wheat fields are being fed to farmed animals, not directly consumed by humans.

Chamaeleonx

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

This is a helpful video to go over the hump towards vegan/vegetarian. Only looking at it as a binary problem was never the pragmatic solution for society. Reduction is helpful.

Didn't watch the video but from the title I can roughly guess what he proposes.
You simply only eat meat on the weekend. I believe this was/is typical for Germany. Normally you eat bread, noodles, rice and stuff over the week and on the weekend when you have more time you can actually cook some meat and enjoy it with your family. This "stop gap" can help to naturally reduce your meat consumption.

While probably true, we need to eat something in the end. Otherwise we simply die. =x

gruenel

Oct 27, 2017
My wife and I reduced our meat consumption to about once a week. I feel like this is the most I can do, since I haven't found a replacement product that didn't taste like absolute crap, and I just need that steak or burger once in a while.

Oct 27, 2017
Have you tried seitan? Or things like the beyond burger?

Beyond Burger is $12 a pound. Until they can get the cost way down from that it really isn't going to catch on with the majority of people. Also, like just about all of the fake meat products, there's way too much of a reliance on sodium to add flavor.

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Nah, I enjoy meat too much to give it up and I'm not sure how much it would actually help. There's still other people buying it even if I don't. I'd rather take walks, bike instead of driving and other stuff to combat climate change.

gruenel

Oct 27, 2017
Nah, I enjoy meat too much to give it up and I'm not sure how much it would actually help. There's still other people buying it even if I don't. I'd rather take walks, bike instead of driving and other stuff to combat climate change.
No offense and more power to you if you do other stuff to combat climate change, but that's not how supply and demand works.

Krauser Kat

Oct 27, 2017
Beyond Burger is $12 a pound. Until they can get the cost way down from that it really isn't going to catch on with the majority of people. Also, like just about all of the fake meat products, there's way too much of a reliance on sodium to add flavor.
people should have never been eating meat that often anyway. the 12 dollars a pound is probably lower then the real cost to the world beef has.

Deleted member 2595

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I typically opt for locally sourced free range meats. You pay through the nose, but it side steps most of the global warming issues presented by pen-raised/grain-fed animals.
This is fine and well in the short term but isn't a long term solution.

The land it would take for everyone on the planet to eat only "locally sourced" and "free range" meat would be several Earths over. Gross, wasteful industrialisation is the only way to meet global demand - and it still requires chopping down all the rainforest.

The real solution is to eat less (ie once a week or month) or no meat.

Deleted member 8860

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This seems to wildly vary from person to person. But the greatest impact by far seems to be having fewer children

Sure, if you and your descendants never existed, you'd be saving quite a bit in greenhouse gas emissions. Hey, if you could go back in time and kill your great-grandparents before they reproduced, you could save even more in emissions!

While probably true, we need to eat something in the end. Otherwise we simply die. =x

What better way to reduce our environmental footprint?

Deleted member 2595

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The meat industry does more damage than cars and traffic combined IIRC.

You don't need to quit eating it entirely. Just eat it far less frequently. It doesn't need to be eaten every day. And we're reaching a point where almost equally good alternatives are readily available if you're in a city.

Divvy

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Sure, if you and your descendants never existed, you'd be saving quite a bit in greenhouse gas emissions. Hey, if you could go back in time and kill your great-grandparents before they reproduced, you could save even more in emissions!

Not really sure why you're being dismissive, but if your goal is to reduce your impact, having less kids is going to outweigh anything else you can do.

Deleted member 888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The main problem with a lot of these diet advice articles is they go from 0 to 100 quicker than you can snap your fingers. Advising on a balanced diet is always the way you'll get people to listen/potentially make small changes. Jumping right to not eating meat, or browbeating meat eaters by laying the climate change problems of the world on their shoulders is often just going to get sarcasm, ridicule and mockery thrown back.

To be honest, the sooner we can grow meat in the lab the better.

The soy and B12 supplement diet.

Soy seems to have some sort of troll pushback on the internet right now. You look online and the "soy boy diet" gets mocked

There's nothing manlier than dairy, right? What could be a better display of masculinity than downing a pint of whole milk?

This is the bizarre thinking behind the far right's new favourite insult: "soy boy".

It's becoming more widely used online and can be used as an adjective too, with people or actions being described as "very soy."

The idea is that if you drink dairy-free milk alternatives, you are obviously weak and feminine (based on the thinking that soy products increase men's oestrogen levels, even though this hasn't been scientifically proven).

And then there's the fact that soy is often used as a meat alternative, and as we all know, real men eat meat. And women only ever eat sad plates of salad.

According to Urban Dictionary, the term soy boy means: "Slang used to describe males who completely and utterly lack all necessary masculine qualities. This pathetic state is usually achieved by an over-indulgence of emasculating products and/or ideologies.

"The origin of the term derives from the negative effects soy consumption has been proven to have on the male physique and libido.

"The average soy boy is a feminist, nonathletic, has never been in a fight, will probably marry the first girl that has sex with him, and likely reduces all his arguments to labeling the opposition as 'Nazis'."

The term has largely taken the place of the word "cuck", which has for a while been the insult of choice of many far right people - it's short for "cuckold" and is used to imply that a man's wife or girlfriend is cheating on him with a more masculine male.

For the men who use terms like cuck and soy boy, being called anything related to femininity is the ultimate insult. God forbid anyone be an actual woman.

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-...far-right-men-masculinity-women-a8027816.html

Gotta love the internet.

y2dvd

Nov 14, 2017
I became a vegetarian about 4 months ago and it's becoming easier to do. I cheated eating meat a few times in the first few weeks, but I've been able to avoid meat altogether for 3 months now.

Honestly, I don't find my grocery bill to be any more expensive than when I was eating meat, but I was avoiding fast food most of the time.

Galaxea

Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
The soy and B12 supplement diet.

Woah. I eat primarily plant based and I try to mostly avoid soy unless fermented. Instant pot makes vegan dishes easy. It's a cheap diet if you buy bulk lentils, quinoa and other grains. It is fun and fulfilling to make homemade food from several countries. I only eat stuff like beyond burgers if I have a craving for it. I love the flavor and I buy them when on sale plus coupons. It's still processed so it isn't healthy to eat it every day.

Felt

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Oops, I eat some kind of meat every day for my whole life. I tried a vegetarian diet for a week, it was pretty tough. I don't think there are enough resources to help people easily adopt these kinds of diet changes without spending hours upon hours of researching diets and food plans.

Falchion

Oct 25, 2017
Boise
Came in expecting vegan. I know it's crazy healthy for people and the planet, but trying to gain mass on a vegan diet just sounds miserable.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Oops, I eat some kind of meat every day for my whole life. I tried a vegetarian diet for a week, it was pretty tough. I don't think there are enough resources to help people easily adopt these kinds of diet changes without spending hours upon hours of researching diets and food plans.
I mean if you have trouble going vegetarian for even a week.... sometimes I'll go days of being vegetarian by accident.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
I could probably go on the Mediterranean diet once I have the time and money. I don't have the self control to avoid meat completely, especially poultry and eggs.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
There is really no good reason to go full diet for climate change reasons.
foodprint5swond.gif

Switching out beef and lamb to chicken, pork and fish gets you 75% of the CO2 reduction of going full vegan. It's possible to live a life where you help reduce your impact, without having to live with a joyless diet

Kwhit10

Oct 27, 2017

Cornell once did a study that all the grain the US feeds to livestock could support 800 million people.

borghe

Oct 27, 2017
This is fine and well in the short term but isn't a long term solution.

The land it would take for everyone on the planet to eat only "locally sourced" and "free range" meat would be several Earths over. Gross, wasteful industrialisation is the only way to meet global demand - and it still requires chopping down all the rainforest.

The real solution is to eat less (ie once a week or month) or no meat.
so other people can do that, and I will continue to eat responsibly sourced meat. win win.

Deleted member 2595

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Came in expecting vegan. I know it's crazy healthy for people and the planet, but trying to gain mass on a vegan diet just sounds miserable.
It's possible but super, super hard and expensive.

... But surely saving the planet is more important than gaining mass? Like you'll probably be dead within 70 years either way.

so other people can do that, and I will continue to eat responsibly sourced meat. win win.
And every lone else will say the same thing, and continue to eat "responsibly sourced meat" (which basically doesn't exist, as I explained), and in 50 years we'll live in a climate change dystopia where maybe your children or grand children can't survive.

There is really no good reason to go full diet for climate change reasons.
foodprint5swond.gif

Switching out beef and lamb to chicken, pork and fish gets you 75% of the CO2 reduction of going full vegan. It's possible to live a life where you help reduce your impact, without having to live with a joyless diet
Yep, it's truth that beef is the absolute worst and you can do a lot of good just cutting that out.

That said, if everyone stopped eating beef but kept eating other meats there'd just be a shift in columns on that graph - meat is still incredibly inefficient.

Deleted member 10908

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wait people adapt their diets to fight climate change??

I mean i applaud people trying to save the planet and all, but arent emissions from diets a tiny insignificant drop in the bucket? Even if 100.000 people would do that?

Pirateluigi

Oct 27, 2017

I've done it but it's definitely not easy. But it's very easy on a vegetarian diet or simply cutting back on meat.

I had started doing meatless Mondays a while back, in large part to do my part against climate change and within 3 years i switched to a completely vegan diet. It was honestly a lot easier than I would have expected and I was a hardcore meat eater when i started.

Hypron

Oct 27, 2017
NZ
It's possible but super, super hard and expensive.

... But surely saving the planet is more important than gaining mass? Like you'll probably be dead within 70 years either way.

What makes it expensive? Just eat a calorie surplus and enough protein (tons of beans, peanut butter, and 2/3 scoops of protein powder will do the trick).

Cocolina

Oct 28, 2017
Wait people adapt their diets to fight climate change??

I mean i applaud people trying to save the planet and all, but arent emissions from diets a tiny insignificant drop in the bucket? Even if 100.000 people would do that?

emissions from plant based diets are far more dangerous yes

borghe

Oct 27, 2017
And every lone else will say the same thing, and continue to eat "responsibly sourced meat" (which basically doesn't exist, as I explained), and in 50 years we'll live in a climate change dystopia where maybe your children or grand children can't survive.
you didn't explain it not existing. You implied that it's not feasible to feed our entire population meat like that. Those are two different things. I typically pay ~$13/pound for beef for a quarter or half steer. That is not feasible for most. And because you can't ramp up production of such beef, there really isn't a way to drive that price down (short of where we are already at with mass market beef). Thus equilibrium is maintained. The lack of land and available man power (farmers) already constrains supply well below demand.. and there is no way to realistically increase supply... thus if demand goes up, so does price.

and I'm fine with that. Eventually plant based meat substitutes that don't taste like shit will come down to a price where we can feed the masses with them... and I will continue buying pasture raised quarter or half steers for $13/lb.. or $15/pound. or $20/pound.. etc until I can't feasibly afford to do so.

edit - also people pointing to beans and such as significant sources of protein.. I mean.. there are issues present there with both lack of specific nutrients as well as a variety of anti-nutrients that give our bodies trouble. beans are FAR from some miracle protein that some places try to make them appear.

Last edited:

Felt

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I mean if you have trouble going vegetarian for even a week.... sometimes I'll go days of being vegetarian by accident.

All the recipes I know have some kind of animal protein. I don't make sandwiches without deli meat for lunches 99% of the time... the best I can do is PB&J.

borghe

Oct 27, 2017
This. Not only will you be losing weight and mitigate obesity, which is becoming a major problem in most of the world, but also doing good for the environment.
meat is almost certainly not the cause of significant excess weight or obesity. eat 800 calories of beef and separately 800 calories of donuts and tell me how you feel after each. 800 calories of beef and you probably won't be able to even look at another bite. 800 calories of donuts is.... like.. 2 donuts? obesity comes from maintaining a diet primarily consisting of foods that inhibit the sense of satiation. protein and fats don't typically cause that.

edit - changed prolong to inhibit... mixed up my usage.

gcwy

Oct 27, 2017
Houston, TX
excess meat is almost certainly not the cause of significant excess weight or obesity. eat 800 calories of beef and separately 800 calories of donuts and tell me how you feel after each. 800 calories of beef and you probably won't be able to even look at another bite. 800 calories of donuts is.... like.. 2 donuts?
You're right in what you're saying, that all excess food is bad but sugary foods like donuts are likely to have twice as much (or more) calories in the same amount they consume meat, and it helps that meat has a lot of protein. But if people's diet mostly consists of meat, then it's a direct factor for excess weight and even obesity. Know that vegan diets make you feel full early and discourage binge eating. Obesity is still a problem, and if climate change encourages them to adapt to a healthier diet, then great.

Oct 27, 2017
people should have never been eating meat that often anyway. the 12 dollars a pound is probably lower then the real cost to the world beef has.

That's true but when you walk into the store and one option is $12 a pound and the other is half that you know what choice most people are going to make environment and ethics be damned (if they even care about those issues to begin with).
Personally, even beef has gotten way too expensive and it's really rare that I buy it - less than a handful of times a year. Plus I don't like how the cows are treated and it's horrible for the environment. I have cut way back on meat altogether, especially since my kids don't want it that much anymore.

borghe

Oct 27, 2017
You're right in what you're saying, that all excess food is bad but sugary foods like donuts are likely to have twice as much (or more) calories in the same amount they consume meat, and it helps that meat has a lot of protein. But if people's diet mostly consists of meat, then it's a direct factor for excess weight and even obesity. Know that vegan diets make you feel full early and discourage binge eating. Obesity is still a problem, and if climate change encourages them to adapt to a healthier diet, then great.
in theory yes... however diets (like paleo or primal) that are lower carb by definition cause the body to regulate calories much more naturally making it very difficult to become overweight. it is EXTREMELY difficult to overeat in well balanced lower carb diets (i.e. no grains, legumes, or sugars). I mean you can pervert such diets (high omega-6 fat content, tons of "paleo" sugar, etc).. but fresh meat and veggies with some nuts, etc.. is very hard to become overweight on... despite large amounts of meat/protein. (well actually because of that)

OP
OP
Biosnake

Biosnake

Oct 25, 2017
This video is less about veganism(because most people already know that going vegan is best for the environment) and more about the fact that a Mediterranean diet also works very well in terms of lower carbon emissions(which is good for people like me to know because i still want to eat meat).

At least that's how I took the video.