DJ Lushious

Enhanced Xperience
Oct 27, 2017
Background Info
I'm a male and have been working for a corporate manufacturing company as a Systems Administrator for the past 5 months. I am housed out of one of their subsidiaries. About once a month I have to go to Headquarters, show my face, and work with my boss and the other IT person.

Dress code is business casual.

Event
I was supposed to go to HQ last Friday (I didn't, but that's unimportant). Preceding my scheduled arrival, my boss was told by the VP that I am not allowed to wear the following belt, citing it's not "business casual." My boss has no issue with the belt, but, ya know, chain of command and all that.

(Please do scope out the belt company, C4 Belts. They are an awesome charitable organization. Image is a hotlink.)

Thoughts
For more than the past 3 years I have gotten countless compliments from Faculty, staff, students, corporate co-workers (at HQ and otherwise), and, just last week, from a manager at one of the subsidiaries. It's hardly a belt I'd consider offensive. My job has called for business casual my entire career and I've worn all sorts of belts throughout the years: one with silhouette foxes, the above, and, in current replacement, a cloth one with anchors on it. Sometimes my work calls for jeans, as well. And, remember, I've been wearing this belt for the 5 months I've been in this role.

Is the VP's request a thinly veiled homophobic one?
Is this really outside the realm of "business casual?"
How would a belt be any different than colorful socks or a tie? Women wear non-conventional belts in the business environment, but that is more generally accepted.

My boss has zero qualms with the belt. Do I only wear a more traditional belt when going to HQ or all the time? I don't know what the repercussions would be if the VP were to visit a site and see me stylin' and profilin'. (Woo!)

The Dress Code is really long and I hesitate to add it to an already long post. I will in a follow-up post, if necessary. I could find no instances of a clause that explicitly applies to this, but I'm not HR.

I have conformed the the request. I'd love to hear others' thoughts/opinions, though.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
That's not business casual, that's loud as fuck. Can't say what your VP's true intentions are though.

Piggus

Oct 27, 2017
Oregon
It's a cool belt, but definitely not business casual. VP still sounds like dick, but you should probably just do as he says to avoid trouble later.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
That is not business casual attire. Like, at all.

Tedesco!

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 30, 2017
Nice belt, but it wouldn't be considered business casual where I work. I could wear that on a dress-down day, though.

Oct 29, 2017
OP, no way in hell is that business casual.

For business casual, always dress on the conservative side:

chinos/suit trousers
white/light blue shirt
black/brown shoes
black/brown belt
blazer/jacket/tweed

CoolestSpot

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Do they not want you to wear it cause it could come off as gay with rainbow colors saying love?

I'd rock that belt.

cubanb

Oct 27, 2017
Haha, I have never seen anything like that in my 10+ years of working in business casual environments.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
I thought this would be like a WWE championship replica or something.

But yeah, I can't think of an industry where that would be considered business casual. Casual, sure.

J-Wood

Oct 25, 2017
I work in a business casual environment, and I'd also say that doesn't fall under business casual.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, not business casual. A bit weird for a boss of that level to care, but he is quite right.

Deleted member 11157

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The link isn't displaying for me. But if you have to wonder if something is business casual, it's probably not. You don't want to stand out.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
That belt is awesome, but yeah, regardless of your VP's intentions, that belt is DEFINITELY not business casual.

At least it wouldn't fly in my office, and we're business casual as well.

Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't matter how many compliments you've gotten, that belt is not business casual. It's just casual. Stop and think about what the business in business casual is supposed to mean.

Your boss being fine with it just means he doesn't care to enforce the dress code so strictly. But his apathy is not equal to company endorsement.

Is the VP's request a thinly veiled homophobic one?
Are you shitting me

The Dress Code is really long and I hesitate to add it to an already long post. I will in a follow-up post, if necessary.
Like for real you're going in that hard that you're combing through the HR dress code and ready to post it on a video game forum for group assessment.
For real right now.
This is real life.

Last edited:

hydrophilic attack

Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
i'd never work somewhere that would tell me what to wear

it's really quite creepy when the boss has opinions about what people should wear

demosthenes

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah. Belt isnt business casual.

Not in business casual enviornments I've been in. (I think there was an edit or something here)

Some might let it slide but you found one that didn't. Sounds like the vp is more conservative. If he came on site i would think there are different rules as your boss is fine with it. When you go to hq, wear a different belt.

Oct 25, 2017
Cool belt, I wouldn't use it for work even in a business casual scenario, over here business casual just means you use jeans once a week.,

JackSwift

Oct 28, 2017
There's casual, then there's business casual. These are casual, and not business casual at all.

Oct 25, 2017
That belt is not professional. If i walked into a business casual office and saw someone like that I'd be like wth

Oct 27, 2017
It's not business casual, but I don't think one with foxes on it would be either. It feels like there may be some implication there, but feelings aren't always correct.

Deleted member 17402

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Without any history to suggest so, if you think your VP's request is thinly veiled homophobia, then that makes most of us in this thread who say it also doesn't appear business casual. I would never think that's appropriate for work, unless I work in a start-up company where they don't give a shit whether you're in pajamas or sweats.

Deleted member 8579

Oct 26, 2017
Definitely too flashy.

Business casual to me is basically a suit without a tie and suit jacket or at least smart chinos and a nice shirt. Muted colours, simple accessories like a brown/black belt.

thecowboypoet

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, if I was the VP, I would fire anyone wearing a belt that ugly. And fire whoever hired the person. Unless it was me. Then I'd give myself a pay raise. What what!!!