• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Primal Sage

Virtually Real
Nov 27, 2017
We see it again and again in VR threads. "Game looks like a vomitfest" or "Looks great but not sure I can handle VR" or "I tried VR and it made me dizzy". A dismissal of vr based on reasons ranging from spurious to entirely legitimate and sometimes rooted in experience. With PSVR2 on the near horizon and people constantly buying Quest 2 headsets I thought this guide could help those about to jump into VR for the first time.

Why do some people get motion sick in VR?

First of all, let's take a look at why some people experience motion sickness in VR. What it really boils down to is a disconnect between what your eyes are seeing and what your body is feeling. The best example is probably rollercoaster rides.

190705153928-millennium-force-rollercoaster-004.jpg

When the rollercoaster does a sharp turn in the real world, you feel the g-force pulling on you and your brain compensates to protect you. In VR there is no physical "input" the brain can match up with what the eyes are telling it is happening. You are still sitting in your comfy and completely stationary sofa. Motion sickness in real world car rides is the same kind of thing, just reversed. Many people can't handle reading a book while on a car because they get the physical stimuli (the car turning) but not the visual one because they aren't looking out the windows. Remember when you were a kid and the ones who easily got car sick had to sit in the front seats on the bus? That was because they needed to see the road turns.

Almost no one – even those of us with good "VR legs" – are able to handle an aggressive rollercoaster in VR. But that's not to say that games with fast movement and hectic action is a no go. Far from it. But don't expect what you can handle in flat games to translate into what you can handle in VR from the get go. I remember what the reaction to Doom was back in the day – no, not the one from 2016. I'm talking about this Doom:

capsule_616x353.jpg

"It's too fast. It makes me feel nauseous", "it will never catch on". That's what a lot of people said back then. Why? Because this was a brand new thing for most people. They weren't used to games this fast or even games where you played from a first person viewpoint. Most people went from games like this:
0000002397.600x338.jpg

To this:
ss_c8f0c20768412066cd1e182705b14d26acc4beb0.1920x1080.jpg

And they could not handle it. You might now be thinking "but I have played FPS games for years! Surely I should be able to handle an FPS in VR, right?"

Maybe, but it's not a given.

Your experience with flat games does not mean you automatically are ready to dive in at the deep end when it comes to a VR game. Watching a trailer for a VR FPS, it looks pretty much like playing a flat FPS but actually doing it in VR is nothing like what you are seeing in that trailer. The immersion, the feeling of "being there", the sense of scale and above all, it being your entire world means that it's not really comparable. You could have the worst sense of balance in the world and play Titanfall with no issue on your TV. But in VR that sense of balance matters a lot, because it's not just your thumbs you are moving to adjust your view – it's your actual head. When you play an FPS on your TV, you are constantly seeing the world around the tv in most of your vision. One could say it "grounds" you in the real world. When playing VR, the game is the only visual input you are getting.

So what's the solution? To ease you in. To learn. Practically no one goes directly from this:
1200px-Nintendo-Entertainment-System-NES-Controller-FL.jpg

To this:
sony-playstation-5-dualsense-controller-white_2_1024x.jpg

You need the steps in-between first. The SNES controller had four face buttons and shoulder buttons. The PS1 controller added extra shoulder buttons. The N64 controller had a thumbstick. Then we got two sticks. Then we got gyro etc.

So what, I need to play simple games for years before playing Resident Evil 8 in VR??

No, not at all. Getting your VR legs does not need to take long and almost everyone should be able to do it. You just need to pace yourself in the beginning. Get used to playing in VR before jumping in to hardcore VR. You might be able to go straight to a fast-paced game but if your first experience is a bad one and you don't stop in time because you think you can power through it, when/if you get motion sickness your brain will associate VR with motion sickness from that point, and it becomes much more difficult to learn to handle VR later on. You will in a sense pollute your future VR prospects. And that's a real shame because VR can provide gaming experiences that flat games can't get near.

So here are the recommendations for newcomers to VR.

Start with something without locomotion or at least very limited/slow locomotion. A puzzle game. A lightgun style game. A table tennis game. Get used to being in a VR space. Get used to doing stuff in a VR space. Moving the controller around and seeing it translate to virtual hand movements, swords swinging, guns aiming, moving objects around etc. Then play something where you are moving around in the world. Preferably with a not-too-speedy pace. If there is the option to control how fast you move, try starting out slow for a while and when you feel good about that, go a bit faster until you are used to the full speed.

And don't be afraid to use comfort options. Almost every VR game has some sort of comfort options and they can be very useful until you are used to VR. Here are some of the most typical.

The Comfort options - your best friends in VR:

Locomotion
:
1*bzotsAkcTIrGHv_rrUcdmg.jpeg

Teleport or smooth. Teleport has you pointing to the location you want to go and then pressing (or releasing) a button to go there. Some games have you teleporting instantly while others do a splitsecond movement (meaning: You move REALLY fast). Smooth refers to using the stick to move like ordinary console games or in the case of PSVR1 (which has no sticks) you hold down a button and point in the direction you want to walk/run. Some games also let you adjust the maximum speed of smooth locomotion.

Vignette:
chi2019-354-fig3.jpg

This one is a bit controversial since it can have the opposite effect and increase discomfort. What it does is to block out your peripheral vision when moving. Basically, you are getting a limited view of the world unless you stand still.

Some games let you adjust the level of vignetting. Others just do on/off. There is no doubt that the more aggressive the vignette is, the less immersive the experience will be since you are losing out on some of the image. But for some it can be a necessary evil. I would recommend trying every other comfort option first to see if you even need vignetting. Also, some people actually become motion sick when using it rather than it helping.

Turning:
Click-turning/Snap turning or smooth turning. How do you want to turn around? Smooth turning is using the sticks to turn like you are used to. Click-turning has you turning in increments (which often can be preset) of typically 30-45 degrees. Just like the 180 degree turn in a Resident Evil game just… fewer degrees :-D.

Using smooth turning is NOT recommended for VR beginners. Even those of us with VR legs rarely use it. I myself prefer click-turning. Your view turning slowly without your body turning feels very unnatural which is why click-turning is more comfortable for most. It resembles teleport. Which brings me to a hot tip: Only use controller-based turning when you need to. If you are playing standing up, just turn your actual body. It's much more immersive and it feels completely natural. Which brings me to.

Sitting or standing:
3dRudder-image-3-1024x658.jpg

Ok, for cockpit-based games, there is no question that you should sit down. But for first person games where the player character is walking around, then you highten immersion by standing up and it helps drastically with reducing motion sickness. Simply because that is what fits with what your eyes are telling your brain. On the other hand, standing up in the game, but your legs and butt are telling you that you are sitting down: Disconnect -> Discomfort.

Here's the part where someone chimes in with "I don't want to stand up when playing! I want to relax!". And I get it. I used to be the same way. That's not why I game, I thought. But then I started doing it more and more (some games lend themselves more to standing than others) and… yes, it is less relaxing, but it makes the games so much more fun. Not only because it feels more natural (= combats motion sickness) but you also feel a lot less limited in performing the gameplay tasks. It's easier to quickly look at stuff around you, easier to aim at something on a lower elevation, easier to lean around virtual objects. Most games will have a seated option but it's often less fun to play like that unless you are also seated in the virtual world. Even though you don't have a lot of space to move around, standing can still make the experience much more immersive and downright practical. Ducking under something is also quite a lot easier.

Also, it's good for the body to stand up! You burn calories and without breaking a sweat (unless it's a fitness game) you sleep better after a gaming session in the evening than playing sitting down. Try it out. Cured me of hemorrhoids (no joke).

Head or hand movement orientation: When moving in the VR world using a thumbstick, you move in the direction you push the stick. But what if you want to look in another direction than the one you are moving? Or rather, do you want your legs to be independent of your head? Let's say you press the stick forward. You are now moving forward but turning your head will make what you are seeing the new forward if you are using Head Movement. With Hand Movement, the direction you are holding the controller determines what direction forward is.

It's very individual what people prefer. Experiment and find the one that suits you.

Screen shake:
Capture.JPG

We established earlier that seeing something your body doesn't feel can induce motion sickness. Having the screen shake when you hit another car in a flat driving game is unpleasant to some people. Imagine that in VR. Your whole world is shaking according to your eyes but you don't feel it. Turning off screenshake can help if you find it uncomfortable. But that can also feel even more unnatural to some because your eyes are telling your brain "something happened and I SHOULD be shaken. I hit a bloody car!". In some games you can even turn off seeing anything during a crash. The screen will fade to black in stead of you being in the crash. Visuals come back after the car is stationary again.

With PSVR2 I do see the potential for a remedy for this. The rumble in the headset would be perfect to accompany screenshake. It could be enough for the visual shake to feel natural because of that little bit of actual feedback.

Don't worry – be excited
https%3A%2F%2Fhypebeast.com%2Fwp-content%2Fblogs.dir%2F6%2Ffiles%2F2022%2F11%2Fpalmer-luckey-oculus-virtual-reality-headset-death-black-mirror-tw.jpg

If you are new to VR, everything above might sound like a lot but don't worry about it. Most games will have presets for beginners, intermediates and experienced users where it automatically sets these options for you. If you are a beginner, do NOT treat this as difficulty options. It's there to make your experience comfortable – not easier. Start out gently and work your way up. You might be strafing around enemies and running full speed after playing for a week. Or shorter. Or longer. Start small and then add on options until you find what works for you.

Also worth noting, back when VR was new, it was the wild west. A lot of comfort options did not exist. Best practices for what works in VR, what is comfortable etc. was not entirely known. Modern games are starting to standardize things. If you tried VR in 2016 and found it uncomfortable, it might just have been a case of bad design or you going too far too fast.

It bears hammering it home: Don't try to power through discomfort.

That's like someone who gets easily car sick asking the driver to drive faster through the turns. Take a break. Come back and try again – maybe after changing some options. Or trying another game. And suddenly you will be marvelling at something that made you queasy earlier on being completely comfortable to you now. And then you'll be able to play everything. Imagine that - you have broadened the types of games you are able to play. Games. That's why we are here on Era. To play.

I hope some of you will find this helpful.

Last edited:

KingDrool

Oct 27, 2017
This is really great advice. Before I got PSVR, I was looking forward to VR for years. When I got it and started playing RIGS, in particular, it made me crazy nauseous and I was so disappointed that I might not be able to play this new tech I had been looking forward to. But I read someone give similar advice: take it slow and "get your legs". So I did that. After a few sessions I was all in, and was able to play through tons of games. Now looking forward to PSVR2!

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
Great thread, nice job Primal Sage!

The standing/sitting example is the one I think I spend the most time trying to explain to non-VR players who still think most good virtual experiences require you to have shitloads of space to jump and roll around in like a madman.

Oct 25, 2017
In my experience by playing a PSVR, Ginger candies also help deals with nauseous and dizziness while playing it and it worked.

OP
OP
Primal Sage

Primal Sage

Virtually Real
Nov 27, 2017
Great thread, nice job Primal Sage!

The standing/sitting example is the one I think I spend the most time trying to explain to non-VR players who still think most good virtual experiences require you to have shitloads of space to jump and roll around in like a madman.

I can't really think of a single game I own that requires a large play space. Almost everything works absolutely fine standing still. You just need to be able to stretch out your arms without hitting anything.

That's not to say I don't have games that benefit from having room to move around. But it is by no means something mandatory in order to enjoy the games. Developers know full well that the space people have varies a lot. Back when VR was new you were pretty much fucked if you did not have a free 2.5 x 2.5 metres.

Diablos

has a title.
Oct 25, 2017
Amazing post, really nice effort OP.

What is most interesting to me about VR is from what I've played, I never get motion sick.

meanwhile, motion blur in any non-VR game will make me nauseated.

Cilidra

A friend is worth more than a million Venezuelan$
Oct 25, 2017
Ottawa
Other tips:

If you feel weird /bit nauseous STOP IMMEDIATELY. Do not resume until ALL weird feeling are gone (probably best to be the next day).

Use a fan on you.

Use ginger-type food/nausea relief before if you get motion sick easily.

Use those comfort setting (as the OP said).

DO NOT START with free movement games like RE8 if you are new to VR. (As op said). Game where you stay in place are best (like Beat Saber).

Vast majority of people do get trained to VR fairly quickly so don't get discouraged. Just start easy and move up the level of VR sensory difficulty.

Last edited:

DC5remy

Jan 20, 2018
Denver co
Love the thread considering I've been stressing about the psvr2 coming in, having never tried VR.

Awesome advice!

Nateo

Oct 27, 2017
I had awful motion sickness. Tried everything getting past it tried playing in small bursts if full loco everything NOTHING. WORKED. Until... I played Climby, you know how boomers supposedly threw kids in the deep end of the pool? Same principle. Motion sickness gone after just 30 mins of full fledged motion bullshit with climby.

OP
OP
Primal Sage

Primal Sage

Virtually Real
Nov 27, 2017
This is really great advice. Before I got PSVR, I was looking forward to VR for years. When I got it and started playing RIGS, in particular, it made me crazy nauseous and I was so disappointed that I might not be able to play this new tech I had been looking forward to. But I read someone give similar advice: take it slow and "get your legs". So I did that. After a few sessions I was all in, and was able to play through tons of games. Now looking forward to PSVR2!

Hah! Are you me from the past? 🙃

Rigs was the only game at launch I had a hard time handling. The moving in one direction while looking in another was unpleasant. I then played a lot of the other launch games with no issue. Then I went back to RIGS and had a blast. From that point I haven't played anything I could not handle. I even tried to test my limits via DriveClub VR. Come to think of it, I actually have the gameplay from that test. Driving at high speed with my head out the side window, focusing on the side mirror through the turns, crashing deliberately, driving backwards through turns. Nothing fazed me.

View: https://youtu.be/k-nbPJNBbqA?t=31

("Braektest" is Danish for "vomit test")

Last edited:

joeblow

Oct 27, 2017
Laker Nation
Nice thread. It should be noted that the PSVR2 features haptic technology in the headset itself (you're welcome). It's been said that one of the perks for this tech is that it can be used to mitigate motion sickness in VR.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
Great thread! I'm excited to get into the PSVR 2 when it's released. I had some of the best gaming ever with the first headset.

This...

It bears hammering it home: Don't try to power through discomfort.

...is key.

I remember getting really sick playing RE VII with smooth turning & free locomotion and just stubbornly trying to persevere. That was a bad night.

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
I'm appreciating everyone saying that if you feel sick to stop.

And there is a point that you may have to concede that this is not accessible to you and you are not able to use a VR headset. I know I hit that, and I've tried plenty of different headsets, and nearly all of these options and it's immediate sickness for me.

I'd love to play it, it seems fun, but I'm just going to have to keep waiting and trying from time to time... but the cost of trying is steep.

Edit: as someone who also gets nauseous from intense haptic/vibration on controllers if it's going off too much... I am terrified of putting on a headset and having it vibrate.

cakefoo

Nov 2, 2017
Always here to vouch for ginger candy. Results may vary, but it instantly boosted my tolerance from 5 minutes without, to an hour with. After a couple weeks, I quit cold turkey and I simply had my VR legs.

NeverWas

Feb 28, 2019
When you turn your head in VR, turn your head in real life. That's the best advice I could give anyone. You'll get off that click-turn business in no time.

KingDrool

Oct 27, 2017
And I'd also like to say that taking my time with VR and "getting my legs" in VR was totally worth it. RE7 and AstroBot were two of the best gaming experiences I've had in the past decade or more. Can't wait for next gen.

fl1ppyB

Jun 11, 2018
Half-Life Alyx might sound like the apex VR experience but it's actually really beginner friendly and really eased me into VR movement as my first VR game.

It has a hybrid control-mode where you can use teleportation but also use a joystick for direct movement as well. I would do a little direct movement here and there but mostly stick to teleporting. Then about halfway through the game I was so into the experience of dodging a certain enemy I didn't realize I'd been using the joystick to do it.

I've rarely had any VR sickness since that point except in games that do the big no-no of taking control away from you.

Oct 27, 2017
I remember when I first got PSVR, I started off with Astrobot and it felt weird but it was fine. I then switched over to GT Sport and that destroyed me for a couple of hours. I was so nauseous.

Funny thing, I gave it a try a few days later and I was fine. then I gave Ace Combat 7 and that was great as well.

Shrike

Oct 25, 2017
In my case it was simply exposure that helped me with motion sickness. Back when I first joined VRChat and played other games I always had to rely on snap turning as any kind of smooth turning would twist my stomach, but after a few months of playing pretty much every single day I switched to smooth turning and was able to quickly get used to it. Now, I can pretty much handle any sort of VR motion without concern or any sort of accessibility features, even various rides and stuff.

I think what happened is that I got so used to the general idea of VR that my brain was able to disconnect the visuals from the "motion feeling" parts of itself, since I know it's not real. I didn't particularly have to push myself into uncomfortable territory to do so, just got lots of exposure to VR at a level I was comfortable with.

RBTeemo

Oct 24, 2020
This is a really helpful thread, thanks Primal Sage. So for someone starting out VR with PSVR2, would the recommendation be not to start with the bundled Horizon game? Is there any PSVR titles for the VR2 that people would recommend to start with? Cosmonious High seems like it fits the bill for a starting one

UltraInstinct

Nov 19, 2017
Really useful advice OP! My only limited experience with VR was with the Samsung Gear VR in 2016 where I found that certain content made me motion sick.

I do tend to get bad motion sickness in cars especially when reading, so I guess it also translates to VR as well. I've got the PSVR2 pre-ordered but I'm actually having second thoughts about it and the motion sickness is a big part of it. Don't get me wrong, there has been some really good advice here for people building their VR legs, but what if you simply can't is my worry. The PSVR2 would be an expensive point of entry just to find out with the only game being RE8 that I would have availale to play. Not sure what to do, hmm.

Dave.

Oct 27, 2017
Really useful advice OP! My only limited experience with VR was with the Samsung Gear VR in 2016 where I found that certain content made me motion sick.

I do tend to get bad motion sickness in cars especially when reading, so I guess it also translates to VR as well. I've got the PSVR2 pre-ordered but I'm actually having second thoughts about it and the motion sickness is a big part of it. Don't get me wrong, there has been some really good advice here for people building their VR legs, but what if you simply can't is my worry. The PSVR2 would be an expensive point of entry just to find out with the only game being RE8 that I would have availale to play. Not sure what to do, hmm.
It doesn't really translate at all - motion sickness in cars is the polar opposite of VR sickness. It does feel exactly the same though. As explained in the OP, motion sickness is the feeling of motion without the visual reference. VR sickness is the visual reference of motion without the feeling in your body. It absolutely does not follow that a person who experiences one will be more inclined to feel the other!

And just like you can cure motion sickness in a vehicle by looking out the windows, or even better by driving - the same applies in VR. You'll do fine if you go in to this thinking "I know what I am doing now, I will ease myself in to it and I'll be fine!". Start off with games where you are in full control of the motion, as little as you like (drive).

OP
OP
Primal Sage

Primal Sage

Virtually Real
Nov 27, 2017
This is a really helpful thread, thanks Primal Sage. So for someone starting out VR with PSVR2, would the recommendation be not to start with the bundled Horizon game? Is there any PSVR titles for the VR2 that people would recommend to start with? Cosmonious High seems like it fits the bill for a starting one

Cosmonius or Tentacular would probably be some of the easiest to ease into VR. Also, if it's anything like Rush of Blood, Switchback could be a very good starting point for an action oriented game. Yes, it looks like a rollercaster game, but it was very gentle. Never any sharp turns, almost no fast pace. You were slowly brought from location to location where you were stationary while shooting.

I would not be too worried about not being able to handle Horizon. Sony are very, VERY good when it comes to comfort and accessibility options. I expect it to be slower paced than something like RE8. They know almost every buyer will get the game so it will be designed around beginners and ease you into it.

Todu

Mar 31, 2020
Other tips that work :

When playing a FPS while standing, try walking in place. It helps giving the brain the illusion that you're moving even if you're not really.

Turn a fan in your direction while playing : it also helps to give an illusion of movement to your brain.

UltraInstinct

Nov 19, 2017
It doesn't really translate at all - motion sickness in cars is the polar opposite of VR sickness. It does feel exactly the same though. As explained in the OP, motion sickness is the feeling of motion without the visual reference. VR sickness is the visual reference of motion without the feeling in your body. It absolutely does not follow that a person who experiences one will be more inclined to feel the other!

And just like you can cure motion sickness in a vehicle by looking out the windows, or even better by driving - the same applies in VR. You'll do fine if you go in to this thinking "I know what I am doing now, I will ease myself in to it and I'll be fine!". Start off with games where you are in full control of the motion, as little as you like (drive).

Right. Well, in any case I have experienced both. As I mentioned, with my limited playtime with VR, I still experienced discomfort and a level of VR sickness. Regarding curing motion sickness by looking out of the windows, well that depends. If it's full on motion sickness then that simply won't work. Once it's set in and it's at a really high discomfort level then there's nothing I can really do. Completely messes up my day.

My worry is not being able to build VR legs to get to a point where it is no longer a problem. The asking price of the PSVR2 is pretty damn expensive to spend, days, weeks or months trying to build resilience until I'm ready to play the games that actually interests me like RE8. That aspect of VR puts me off, despite being a huge fan of the tech.

cnorwood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
My mom uses sea bands, when I checked the reviews on Amazon most of them say they are great for VR

sms01_.jpg

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
From my experience VR is something you either can get into or not, it's predetermined by your resistance to this type of motion movement. For example me, my dad and my sister had zero issue playing VR games from the get go, even stuff like REVII with full movement. My gf and mom, literally got sick from the simplest stuff like Thumper. Tried my gf to try it again later and she got same reaction.

For me the only VR game I tried that got me slighty iffy for a bit was RIGS on PSVR because you have full movement with super high jumping mechanic, it felt like my brain was being squished during jumping.

Rosol

Oct 29, 2017
Can only really say Dramamine first then maybe ginger to help, and it's just part of it. Though using Dramamine for games seems a bit extreme. I think the sad truth is 'VR Legs' are often extension of your presence being lessened, after you lose presence; you are more able to tell it's a 'game' rather than actually being there - which is not something you want to search for. The whole problem with the 'reverse motion sickness' is that your seeing you're moving but not feeling the g-forces (the opposite of motion sickness - though the sickness is the same.) It's not as easy as 'watching the road' to fix; though snap turns and teleportation are the main things that can reduce it but keep presence. Also, never push through it, learn your limit and take long breaks when you feel it coming on and understand some games handle it much better than others.

Dave.

Oct 27, 2017
Right. Well, in any case I have experienced both. As I mentioned, with my limited playtime with VR, I still experienced discomfort and a level of VR sickness. Regarding curing motion sickness by looking out of the windows, well that depends. If it's full on motion sickness then that simply won't work. Once it's set in and it's at a really high discomfort level then there's nothing I can really do. Completely messes up my day.

Well yes. But nobody is saying to push through until you're vomiting then try and "cure" yourself. Motion sickness in vehicles is cured by looking out windows from the very start, and continuing to do so. Ideally driving, so you are creating the movement and it's not a surprise. Not reading books until you're green then taking a glance outside hoping everything will resolve.

In VR, nobody should ever get to the point where sickness has set in. That is a huge mistake. Take the headset off, you're done for the day well before that point. Come back tomorrow, things will improve!

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
I wish I could stand long periods of time when VR gaming but I have a bum foot from a motorcycle accident and it will really start bugging me after a while. But I find it's not too bad to be sitting either in the games I play. In fact the games I"m most likely to get VR sick are ones where I am operating a vehicle (I cannot play Elite Dangerous's land vehicles in VR period, no amount of easing stops it). For me it's things that I feel get out of my control that make me motion sick (like even games that I'm not used to controls and get out of control easily). Elite Dangerous's land vehicles I always end up bouncing around and losing control and it makes me sick. I'd love to do GTA in VR but I'm pretty sure a lot of the driving I do int eh game would make me VR sick lol.

I do find if I haven't played a while it is good to ease in a little bit. And always always always if you start feeling sick, stop. and try again in 30 minutes (usually that for me eases me in.. play a little bit, if get sick, give it some time, try again. Usually I'm good by the 2nd try).

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
uhm
simplest stuff and the game that has your terror beetle go 9999mph isn't a combination of words I expected to read ITT
I think the "truly test of VR adaptability" VR games are only games with full movement where you can move head and move around as you wish. Static games are pretty chill. As I said they couldn't even handle the demo disc stuff, like the Shark Cage experience.

Thumper isn't considered hardcore, isn't it?

SigSig

Oct 26, 2017
I think the "truly test of VR adaptability" VR games are only games with full movement where you can move head and move around as you wish. Static games are pretty chill. As I said they couldn't even handle the demo disc stuff, like the Shark Cage experience.

Thumper isn't considered hardcore, isn't it?
It's not something I'd give to somebody new to VR. sure, most of the time you look at a perfectly straight track ahead of you, but you also move along that track and jerk around the camera at lightspeed.

UltraInstinct

Nov 19, 2017
Well yes. But nobody is saying to push through until you're vomiting then try and "cure" yourself. Motion sickness in vehicles is cured by looking out windows from the very start, and continuing to do so. Ideally driving, so you are creating the movement and it's not a surprise. Not reading books until you're green then taking a glance outside hoping everything will resolve.

Well, obviously. It depends on person to person and what their tolerances are. Personally, even a mild form of motion sickness where it doesn't get to a point of vomiting still feels almost debilitating. I know when to not let it get to a certain threshold by doing exactly what you mentioned, looking at the road, taking breaks every few seconds from looking at a phone or reading, but even just a mild form of it can still mess up my day.

I'd love to get my hands on the PSVR2. I've been looking forward to it since it was first announced but I'm going to think long and hard about it though.

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
I wish I could stand long periods of time when VR gaming but I have a bum foot from a motorcycle accident and it will really start bugging me after a while. But I find it's not too bad to be sitting either in the games I play. In fact the games I"m most likely to get VR sick are ones where I am operating a vehicle (I cannot play Elite Dangerous's land vehicles in VR period, no amount of easing stops it). For me it's things that I feel get out of my control that make me motion sick (like even games that I'm not used to controls and get out of control easily). Elite Dangerous's land vehicles I always end up bouncing around and losing control and it makes me sick. I'd love to do GTA in VR but I'm pretty sure a lot of the driving I do int eh game would make me VR sick lol.

I do find if I haven't played a while it is good to ease in a little bit. And always always always if you start feeling sick, stop. and try again in 30 minutes (usually that for me eases me in.. play a little bit, if get sick, give it some time, try again. Usually I'm good by the 2nd try).
i used to play E:D for hours on end in Google Cardboard with a little rinky dink $20 dollar helmet and a Samsung phone, I even flew to Sag A in VR, (not back though, lol). But once I switched to Oculus something changed and while it looked more immersive, something was way off, and the slightest jerk or jostle would be so disorienting I'd have to close my eyes. I don't know if it was something with the refresh rate or the FOV or the camera position, but it was unplayable.

With cardboard there was a noticable screendoor effect you just had to deal with. I wish I could figure out what changed or what to change with my Oculus because this was one of my fave games and part of the reason I upgraded. But you might try an inexpensive downgrade.

EduBRK

Oct 30, 2017
Brazil
- Start everyone on VR with Beat Saber. It's the killer app, and is not very intensive.

- Do not give someone Resident Evil 4 to play with Smooth while sitting. Leon is Sonic when running.

OP
OP
Primal Sage

Primal Sage

Virtually Real
Nov 27, 2017
- Start everyone on VR with Beat Saber. It's the killer app, and is not very intensive.

- Do not give someone Resident Evil 4 to play with Smooth while sitting. Leon is Sonic when running.

Agreed. RE4 is one of the best games in VR. But it's a terrible game to introduce someone to VR. The walking (or rather "running") speed is exceptionally fast for a VR game. It does support teleport movement though so if a beginner can keep themselves from using the smooth locomotion it's actually not the worst place to continue after having played some lighter games to get used to being in VR.

Oct 25, 2017
Note: VR games are not all equal.

Getting motion sickness in one game with locomotion does not automatically mean you will get motion sickness from all others.

Just as some flat screen First Person games are more notorious for causing motion sickness than others, some VR games don't handle player movement as well as others.

For example: I have been able to handle full locomotion with smooth turning in many games, but REVII does something different and I felt sick after 5min. For this one game I needed the grid overlay(think FPS crosshair) comfort option turned on, and then I was fine.