• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 31333

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
I think a lot of people base their judgement of VR by a google cardboard type experience where they watched a VR video from a cell phone in a headset that made them sick.

That isn't true VR though. It would be like playing an FPS on a mobile phone and declaring that you don't like FPS games.

Deleted member 3294

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You know, when I'm not interested in something, going "oh you are just factually wrong about not being into this" just makes me want to stay away even more.

OP
OP
DarthBuzzard

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
There's nothing strange or illogical about it at all, what are you talking about? Price is a factor in purchasing a thing and something being expensive can put people off it. I get that you're like way into the VR Fandom or whatever but you need to just open your eyes and realise that not everything is for everyone and not everyone is going to get into or like VR. I dunno why you seem to feel like you need to discredit anyone who doesn't like VR, maybe you bought into the pre-launch "VR is the future of gaming" hype or something but regardless, quite simply, bugger off and mind your own business. Don't tell people that they aren't allowed to dislike a thing because you've arbitrarily decided their reasons for disliking it are "wrong."
It's illogical by nature to dislike the concept of something just because of the expense. That simply doesn't compute. That's not my opinion on the matter; that's a matter of fact.

Dislike the price, the value proposition of the product all you want since that's fair, but my restaurant example pretty much speaks for itself on why it makes no sense to dislike the concept of something that you'd have interest in based on the price.

Keep in mind, you're in my thread so you can't exactly tell me to bugger off for having a discussion based on perfectly logical reasoning.

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
"It's not for me" is perfectly viable and acceptable.

I played the first 2 hours of Subnautica in VR. The stress I felt once one of those bomb fish started chasing me was VERY real. I took the headset off and played it normally and had a much better time.

There are going to be a lot of people out there who aren't gonna wanna fuck with VR.
Atleast it wasent one of those sea dragon things

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
It's illogical by nature to dislike the concept of something just because of the expense. That simply doesn't compute.

Dislike the price, the value proposition of the product all you want since that's fair, but my restaurant example pretty much speaks for itself on why it makes no sense to dislike the concept of something based on the price.

Keep in mind, you're in my thread so you can't exactly tell me to bugger off for having a discussion based on perfectly logical reasoning.
Are you a literal emotionless robot?
People don't always like or dislike a thing because of logic, that's not how people work.

I can definitely tell you to bugger off with your dumb condescending bullshit, regardless of whether you're pretending it's "perfectly logical reasoning" or not lol

MrH

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
It's not for me because it's bloody expensive for a good set, if it were more affordable I'd try it, I liked the look of the Walking Dead game.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
I, for one, am highly invested in whether or not other people like my preferred toys.

Bregor

Oct 27, 2017
VR is a computing platform, not strictly an entertainment product.

A distinction without a difference.

Of course they can a have an opinion, anyone can. It's the logic behind their opinion that starts to fall apart.

There doesn't have to be a logic behind their opinion. There may be, and it may be well be thought out. But "I don't like it" is sufficient reason in and off itself. They don't have to justify themselves.

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
I have a vr set. Bought it I think a year and a half ago now.

Played it quite a bit when I first got it, though mostly just superhot and beat saber, but I don't think I've even seen the set for the last half a year.

Setting it up is a pain, and finding time where I won't be disturbed for an x amount of time is difficult as I don't yet live alone.

So yeah, it was fun and I tell myself that I should go back to it sometime, but I have many other things I'd like to be doing instead, things that don't have as large of a setup and desetup time.

OP
OP
DarthBuzzard

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
An opinion is an opinion. I don't have to like shit if I don't want to. I don't need to know more about something (even though I've used VR) to say that it's not for me. Your condescending tone is illogical if I want to be frank. You think that you know people and their interest based on what? You don't know everyone here but you are acting as if you do and what's best for them based off of your criteria and your knowledge. That's illogical. The title of this thread is illogical because there's not a fucking contradiction of someone liking or not liking something.

Your argument is basically like someone telling you the type of person that they like and you find a person that fits that description completely and then when brought to that person...they don't like them and you telling them that they are contradictory because of some "logic". People like what they like and don't like what they don't. We are humans, not machines. It's that simple.
Keep in mind there are really endless examples of people with the exact same opinion who later flipped their opinion because they tried something else, whether that be new hardware or other software. Writing off an entire medium is a bold thing to do when it takes thousands of hours to experience a diverse range of things in that medium.

There's a reason why I say a lot of people fall into the contradiction mindset. It's personal experience; I've seen thousands of people that fall into this category who had it wrong, and that's out of thousands of people in total, meaning most of them.

NekoNeko

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
i mean i own 3 devices and used to own a fourth, played pretty much every title of note and can say confidently that VR right now is not for me.

i still think it can be in like 5 years if it continues to develop but i'm not so sure about that.

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
This isn't your thread. This is a thread on the ResetEra forum where you have the starting post. You don't own it and you can't dictate how it goes. It would be illogical to think otherwise!

Now stop changing the subject and send me my free Index!

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
You know, when I'm not interested in something, going "oh you are just factually wrong about not being into this" just makes me want to stay away even more.
Honestly, people like the OP are part of the reason I didn't try VR for so long.
As it turns out, I quite like VR. Wouldn't want most/all my gaming to be done in VR but it's great for some stuff. I can't imagine playing No Man's Sky outside of it at this point for example.

But I was so put off by the concept of it because of condescending people telling me why I should love it. And because I did a bunch of dev work on the prototype Occulus headsets and that was a bad time.

Ambient80

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's illogical by nature to dislike the concept of something just because of the expense. That simply doesn't compute. That's not my opinion on the matter; that's a matter of fact.

Dislike the price, the value proposition of the product all you want since that's fair, but my restaurant example pretty much speaks for itself on why it makes no sense to dislike the concept of something that you'd have interest in based on the price.

What on earth? No it's not, not at all. People don't like PC gaming because a good rig can take a pretty large investment. People don't like Bugatti or Porsche or Apple or Tiffany Diamonds or any number of luxury-class brands/products because of price. "It's not for me" is literally how they feel because they can't afford to drop a million dollars on a car, or $1500+ on a phone/laptop, or $20k on a diamond necklace. It's perfectly logical that someone may feel the same about VR when it can cost anywhere from $150 (plus the rig to run it) up to $1500+ for a high-end VR set plus a rig to run it.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
VR is cool and I've tried my brother's on several occasions but I can't justify the price sink, plus it's literally not for me in that I don't have a room to dedicate to setting it up.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
As a person who kidnaps pedestrians and locks them in my basement with an Oculus Quest, I have thorough knowledge of how people I don't know experience VR.

BennyWhatever

Oct 27, 2017
US
I like VR. I will not use VR, because it literally is not for me.
I cannot commit to using a gaming platform that closes out the outside world for more than a couple minutes. It's too much of a commitment, and the cost of entry is too high. It would go unused.

Therefore, I like VR, but it's not for me.

Noctis

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
I prefer a big ass tv and a controller, with that said I see the appeal of VR. But I ain't interested in it in the gaming space. I do hope it takes off in the gaming arena and outside of it which is where I think it could have an even more lasting impact.

OP
OP
DarthBuzzard

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
A distinction without a difference.

There doesn't have to be a logic behind their opinion. There may be, and it may be well be thought out. But "I don't like it" is sufficient reason in and off itself. They don't have to justify themselves.
No one said there needs to be logic behind their opinion. There isn't a rite of passage required for having an opinion; it's about whether there is logic behind it or not. What I'm saying is that it's a shame to see comments like that.

rochellepaws

Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
I wonder how much of the reluctance towards VR is a legacy from the Wii-era with the perception of so many gimmicks being passed off as transformative technology before vanishing, never to be seen again a couple of years later. I don't think that applies at all to VR but I've certainly heard it from people who see it as a passing fad or something that'll never be more than niche.

It's a long time ago but I had the impression gamers used to be much more adventurous and excited to try new technologies that might evolve the way they play games before the Wii.

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
I think VR is super interesting tech but I personally have zero interest in the "sensory deprivation tank" element inherent in the experience.

Knowing yourself, your personal tastes & boundaries is in no way an indictment against experiences on is not interested in.

Don't get why this is so hard to understand.

I mean, anime brings joy to millions. I'm not one of those, and that's just fine for all parties involved. We can all still be friends.

Bigg

Oct 25, 2017
Your OP seems to completely ignore the issue of motion sickness, which is a big deal for a lot of people and is a huge barrier to enjoying a lot of VR experiences.

I own a Quest and I enjoy it (largely for games like Superhot and Beat Saber that don't require any walking) but there's still a bunch of games I can't play without feeling extremely ill. I tried playing 20 minutes of Sairento and I can't remember the last time I felt so queasy. I'd love to try Boneworks, but from what I've seen and heard of it I am like 99% sure it would make me throw up. And that sucks, quite frankly! Even just regular locomotion in less intense games like Rec Room or The Under can make me nauseous after a short period of time.

It's been 8 years since the Oculus DK1 and developers still haven't found a reliable, non-clunky (ie teleporting) solution to motion sickness. And that's a huge, huge issue. And yes, I know "VR legs" is a thing, but from what I can tell there isn't really an exact science to it, and some people adapt and others don't.

I'm gonna try my best to play Half Life Alyx, but there's a chance that I won't be able to enjoy it at all due to my susceptibility to motion sickness. And that's really frustrating.

Brrandon

Dec 13, 2019
VR literally does not work for me. I have a lazy eye and absolutely no depth perception so vr is absolutely not for me. And before anyone suggests surgery to fix it, thats just cosmetic and doesnt restore depth perception

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
"You're objectively wrong for not budgeting the time and expense required for this consumer product."

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
No one said there needs to be logic behind their opinion. There isn't a rite of passage required for having an opinion; it's about whether there is logic behind it or not. What I'm saying is that it's a shame to see comments like that.
Just like how it's a shame that you're not sending me the free Index. If you want more people to experience high-end VR, you should be willing to invest in that right? It's illogical to complain about something you can actively influence without doing anything about it! Logically your best move here is to start shipping the Index kits.

Agamon

Aug 1, 2019
I was looking at getting a 64BG Quest last month and they're sold out in Canada. So, I guess VR is for someone?

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
At the current juncture oh, it's expensive, clunky, and there's not enough games like Astro bot and Alyx. So there's legit reasons because it's new. There's also the newness in its own right, which leads to irrational reasons.

Things are going to heat up. It's flat-out Superior as input and output for every 3D genre. As far as I'm concerned, that's been demonstrated. Price, tech, games are coming. You already have one 1 in 20 PS4 owners with a psvr, and the recent massive Spike and interest thanks to Alyx.

I know you are bullish on VR and I always find myself agreeing with your two cents on it. In this case though, you should have more patience.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I mean this is gaming. If you dare change even the slightest thing people lose their shit.

Belthazar90

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
It's simply a question of not being interested. It's not like VR is a religion and you definitely do not need to preach about it.

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
Keep in mind there are really endless examples of people with the exact same opinion who later flipped their opinion because they tried something else, whether that be new hardware or other software. Writing off an entire medium is a bold thing to do when it takes thousands of hours to experience a diverse range of things in that medium.

There's a reason why I say a lot of people fall into the contradiction mindset. It's personal experience; I've seen thousands of people that fall into this category who had it wrong, and that's out of thousands of people in total, meaning most of them.
Personal experience != Truth
It's not a contradiction mindset...people can just not like things. For all this "logic" you talk about...the simplest thing is going over your head and you act (from your posts) that it's fine to have the opinion but then you contradict yourself with this very thread. How about that for a contradiction mindset?

Bregor

Oct 27, 2017

And whether or not their opinion has logic behind it, it is a valid opinion. They get to choose what they like, and they don't have to defend their tastes.

Schlorgan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Salt Lake City, Utah
As a person who kidnaps pedestrians and locks them in my basement with an Oculus Quest, I have thorough knowledge of how people I don't know experience VR.
PGzX9ru.gif

Eumi

Nov 3, 2017
This just reminds me of a mate of mine that was trying to get me to read a bunch of books written by people who I, to be frank, thought were total idiots. He'd read and really enjoyed them, and with the kind of person I am he swore that if I gave them a shot, I'd really dig them. I hadn't tried reading any, so it's not like my opinion was based on anything, right?

What got him to understand why I wouldn't was actually really simple: why the hell would I spend my time doing something I don't think I'd enjoy when I could instead be doing something out of the endless pile of things I think I would enjoy but haven't gotten around to yet?

There's so much media in the world, and there's so many game series I haven't even touched yet that I'm sure I'd love if I just found the time. But between my job and managing my mental health, my free time has become very particular. If I'm not using it well, I get stressed out, and I know that's dumb, but knowing that doesn't stop me being stressed. I want to do things I enjoy, and neither VR nor my mates favourite self-help books are particularly appealing to me. I just can't see any reason why I would try them instead of finally playing a Resident Evil game, or trying to put together a proper D&D campaign, or getting back into reading Marvel comics, or learning some more Chopin pieces on the piano.

There's not enough time, nor mental endurance, for anyone to try everything. We have to pick and choose what we do, and getting all judgy like this just comes across as needlessly shitty. We already live in a world where companies are trying to monopolise our free time, we shouldn't be doing it to each other too.

ClarkusDarkus

Oct 27, 2017
VR is the only thing in gaming right now i am excited about, Keep you're Tflop arguments and 4K nonsense, Graphics on the TV are already at the ceiling.

Watch how Half Life : Alyx transforms the whole landscape.

Then people begging and complaining that they want a flat version of it even though it's designed from the ground up for VR.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
Am I allowed to say it's not for me if I shelled out $400 for an Oculus and didn't like it?

I prefer looking at a screen, I don't really get anything from floating above my character in a third-person game (besides a touch of nausea) and I don't play many first-person games.

Oct 27, 2017
I liked certain stuff with it and the idea behind it, but it makes me feel woozy, dizzy, and sometimes nauseous. I still remember the first time I tried it with PSVR, I got nauseous and stayed that way for hours. Thats enough to turn me off. I'm willing to give it more tries in the future, but I'd rather play normally than worry about fucking up my day for hours due to being sick.

Oct 25, 2017
Lol. What a weird attitude. VR's not that great. Chill out. It's cool for some stuff and I've enjoyed the games I've bought for it, but 90% of the stuff I play I wouldn't want to play it in vr. And even if it was that great all you're accomplishing here is pissing people off.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
This is honestly a baffling approach to trying to convince people to play VR games. Did you really think heckling them would work?

Status
Not open for further replies.