• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
People say this all the time. 'It's not for me', 'I'm not interested', 'It adds nothing for me', 'I physically can't use it'' (usually a lot harsher sounding) and in a lot of cases, it couldn't be further from the truth. I've seen diehard horror fans and racing enthusiasts completely dismiss the technology, disabled folk who would gain significantly from using the technology but think their disability stops them from using it, MMO diehards who think it's anti-social, and there are people who live for immersive gaming that apparently think it doesn't add anything extra.

Some of these people passively pass it off, and while that's a shame, it's also not uncommon for people to do to any foreign concept, but it's a real shame when people go so far as to bash the technology just because they think they apparently don't want it or can't use it. It's really bizzare seeing disabled people that wish the technology to quite literally die when there are disabled people who's lives have been transformed because of the tech, and possibly the very people saying this in the first place could gain such benefits. It's the same thing for people who love immersive games and stories and yet they see VR as a waste of resources that needs to die off, despite it being perfectly suitable for immersive games and stories.

Another little thing that people tend to misunderstand is the types of games VR is useful for. There are people who seem to think that it can't even work for FPS games, let alone 3rd person games, platformers, RTS, so when people say 'It adds nothing to types of games I play', it really often falls apart as an argument; unless you stick to only fighting games or 2D games, there's no area that it wouldn't add to.

Of course this notion of 'It's not for me' very much can be true. If someone has physical difficulties wearing an apparatus on their head, there's nothing they can really do until it gets much slimmer. However the vast majority of comments that I see definitely fall into the preconceived notion that it isn't for them, when it very much could be. There are also people who get sick no matter what they try, but this is so rare that most of the people saying sickness is physically stopping them cannot be correct. Reason being because almost all sickness is related to the vestibular mismatch that otherwise won't occur in games like Beat Saber, Moss, or SuperHot.

Don't get me started on the people who refuse to ever try it until it's SAO Full Dive levels of good. If you're already interested in the core concept, why wait for a fantasy that may never happen in your lifetime? No one is saying stop what you're doing and go out and try it right now, but to dismiss any attempts until then is illogical because there's a declaration of interest in VR in the statement.

So pretty much, many people, if not most people saying this are generally not correct and can very easily change their mind after trying high-end VR. Would be nice to see more mall demos that don't rely on just 7D VR Chairs that put people off the technology.

Deleted member 60729

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 20, 2019
You don't need a reason to not be interested in a product. It shouldn't be "you should buy this thing unless you have a good enough reason not to".

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
People are free to like or dislike something for whatever reason that they want. Stop telling people that they are wrong because they don't want to use the stuff you like.

Ambient80

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
No one owes anyone else an explanation on why they may not want to throw down $1k on a high-end VR system, or even $100-200 for a low-end entry level system. If they say they're not interested, then that's that.

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I'm not interested in VR that doesn't mean I'm wrong for not being interested.

Deleted member 12129

Oct 27, 2017
A lot of people just play games to relax. As a VR headset owner, the gaming experience, while fun, is anything but relaxing.

Deleted member 135

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It causes motion sickness that can't be overcome for a lot of people.

I'm not going to dope up on dramamine just to play some bite sized experience.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I only noticed that here. At my job (where I work with it too) and in my friend circles, relatives etc. they always have a blown mind and after Christmas many of them bought the Quest now because there is no stupid cable anymore. Since the Quest I also didn't have a single person being sick from it which I had with the PSVR many times.

Bregor

Oct 27, 2017
People have the right to judge for themselves whether something is for them or not. Who are you to claim otherwise?

ventuno

Nov 11, 2019
Pressuring people into trying VR isn't great as is, but singling out people with disabilities that can figure out what is or isn't accessible for themselves better than you can really isn't helping your stance.

OP
OP
DarthBuzzard

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
People are free to like or dislike something for whatever reason that they want. Stop telling people that they are wrong because they don't want to use the stuff you like.
There's a difference between having a logical and illogical opinion. People are free to like/dislike whatever they want, but it gets bizzare when people dislike something that is very much in line with their ideals. Something that would absolutely be in their interest, but outwardly they say otherwise.

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
So pretty much, many people, if not most people saying this are generally not correct and can very easily change their mind after trying high-end VR.
Happy to change my mind if you send me a full Index kit with controllers and a new PC rig.

There's a difference between having a logical and illogical opinion. People are free to like/dislike whatever they want, but it gets bizzare when people dislike something that is very much in line with their ideals. Something that would absolutely be in their interest, but outwardly they say otherwise.
Or have you considered that maybe it's a very expensive investment for a concept that doesn't offer a lot of content at the moment? We're talking about luxuries here.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
Not everyone needs to like the thing you like, move on.

Their opinions are only "illogical" to you because you're discarding them because you disagree with them.

Eumi

Nov 3, 2017
You don't need a reason to not be interested in a product. It shouldn't be "you should buy this thing unless you have a good enough reason not to".
Unfortunately having to justify your disinterest in something seems to be the norm these days.

Which is especially bizarre when we're talking about expensive tech.

DigSCCP

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Basically everything in the world can be a "it´s not for me thing" OP.
I really appreciate your enthusiasm about VR and really like a lot of your posts about the technology...but you have to relax a little bit and accept that there are a lot of people that won´t jump in this ship.

OP
OP
DarthBuzzard

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
Happy to change my mind if you send me a full Index kit with controllers and a new PC rig.

Or have you considered that maybe it's a very expensive investment for a concept that doesn't offer a lot of content at the moment? We're talking about luxuries here.
It's not logical to dislike something just because of an expense. You can choose not to be interested, but to 'dislike' something that you actually would like out of monetary concerns makes no sense. It's like knowing you'd clearly enjoy a Michelin Star restaurant but outwardly dislike it because it's too expensive. Where's the logic in that? Dislike the expense, sure. Dislike the concept? Strange.

iHeartGameDev

Feb 22, 2019
I think we're making huge strides thanks to the Quest. The user base will grow over time as technology gets better, and the overall appeal will grow simultaneously.

Bregor

Oct 27, 2017

It's an entertainment product. They can have any opinion they want about it, whatever the basis for that opinion. And to claim that people don't know for themselves what they like is damn condescending.

Ambient80

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

It's also pretty bizarre that someone tries to tell people that they actually do like a product, despite them having already said it's not for them.

lacer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i'm good on spending 4 figures on what imo has amounted to mostly a novelty so far

Eumi

Nov 3, 2017
It's not the norm at all. Maybe at niche corners like this where people just think about the things they like 24/7 and let it be their worldview.
Honestly I did originally write "around here" too but that came across as kind of a "hive-mindy" accusation so I rephrased it, but yeah, I did mean on here.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
"It's not for me" is perfectly viable and acceptable.

I played the first 2 hours of Subnautica in VR. The stress I felt once one of those bomb fish started chasing me was VERY real. I took the headset off and played it normally and had a much better time.

There are going to be a lot of people out there who aren't gonna wanna fuck with VR.

OP
OP
DarthBuzzard

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
It's an entertainment product. They can have any opinion they want about it, whatever the basis for that opinion. And to claim that people don't know for themselves what they like is damn condescending.
VR is a computing platform, not strictly an entertainment product.

Of course they can a have an opinion, anyone can. It's the logic behind their opinion that starts to fall apart.

Addleburg

The Fallen
Nov 16, 2017
I've yet to try VR, but I'd be game to give it a shot when it fell down to a price range where I could impulse buy it without fear. I know I could always get it at full price and return it if I didn't like it, but since I have no strong interest in the technology one way or another, why bother?

Once I see PSVR for sub-$100, I'll seriously consider giving it a shot.

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
It's not logical to dislike something just because of an expense. You can choose not to be interested, but to 'dislike' something that you actually would like out of monetary concerns makes no sense. It's like knowing you'd clearly enjoy a Michelin Star restaurant but outwardly dislike it because it's too expensive. Where's the logic in that? Dislike the expense, sure. Dislike the concept? Strange.
I see a lot of words, not a lot of action. Are you going to send me that Index or not? Put up or shut up! :)

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
There's nothing strange or illogical about it at all, what are you talking about? Price is a factor in purchasing a thing and something being expensive can put people off it. I get that you're like way into the VR Fandom or whatever but you need to just open your eyes and realise that not everything is for everyone and not everyone is going to get into or like VR. I dunno why you seem to feel like you need to discredit anyone who doesn't like VR, maybe you bought into the pre-launch "VR is the future of gaming" hype or something but regardless, quite simply, bugger off and mind your own business. Don't tell people that they aren't allowed to dislike a thing because you've arbitrarily decided their reasons for disliking it are "wrong."

Your constant "logical/illogical" arguments are idiotic in the first place. No, not all opinions are "logical" sometimes people just don't like a thing, even on paper they should. That's fine. You just need to move on and stop getting so obsessed about other people not liking the thing you like.

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
An opinion is an opinion. I don't have to like shit if I don't want to. I don't need to know more about something (even though I've used VR) to say that it's not for me. Your condescending tone is illogical if I want to be frank. You think that you know people and their interest based on what? You don't know everyone here but you are acting as if you do and what's best for them based off of your criteria and your knowledge. That's illogical. The title of this thread is illogical because there's not a fucking contradiction of someone liking or not liking something.

Your argument is basically like someone telling you the type of person that they like and you find a person that fits that description completely and then when brought to that person...they don't like them and you telling them that they are contradictory because of some "logic". People like what they like and don't like what they don't. We are humans, not machines. It's that simple.

SayWord

Banned
Dec 4, 2019
VR is the best thing to happen to me in gaming this generation.

Here is to hoping more and more people realize its greatness! It'll only get better and more accessible too.

Lunaray

Oct 27, 2017
Where is the contradiction? VR causing motion sickness and VR sets being physically uncomfortable or outright unbearable for some people is a very real thing. But even if none of that applies, it's not your place to tell people their preferences are wrong. Asking them to try high end VR before even committing to a preference is just gate-keeping and comes off a bit entitled. People have the right to comment on their subjective experiences.

Of course some detractors go overboard with their extrapolation of a few bad experiences, but that's a small minority and does not represent the vast majority of the people that say that VR is not for them.

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Shit makes me sick so I'll continue to not spend a dime on it, but thanks for your opinion I guess.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
It really isn't for me, I get motion sick from regular first person shooters, when VR is at it's best regarding immersion is when I feel the most ill.

Deleted member 49438

Banned
Nov 7, 2018
Don't get me started on the people who refuse to ever try it until it's SAO Full Dive levels of good. If you're already interested in the core concept, why wait for a fantasy that may never happen in your lifetime? No one is saying stop what you're doing and go out and try it right now, but to dismiss any attempts until then is illogical because there's a declaration of interest in VR in the statement.

Why would I pay out the ass for these inferior versions of VR though? I can just wait another 10 years for the technology to have a good wireless headset with minimal setup rather than pay now for versions with annoying setup that won't live up to my lofty expectations for what VR could be. It isn't worth the cost for me at this time.

Deleted member 135

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"No" is a complete sentence.

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
VR in its current existence is not for me.

It doesn't matter that my interests may align with with things VR might offer. There are other concerns beyond just video games in my life.

Being present in my home while I'm playing video games is more important than the complete immersion of VR. I want to be able to look to the left, or right, or down, and be away from the screen so I can engage with my family. It's the same reason I don't have a separate room where I go shut the door and play video games or something.

Perhaps someday a VR/AR solution will exist for this conflict, but we're not there, and we probably won't be for another 5-10 years. Until that happens, VR is not for me.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
This kinda leaves me speechless and as much as I am compelled to respond I am struggling to form a reply to the notion that expense should not be a motivating factor for one's consumer habits and beliefs.

The entire relationship between consumer and manufacturer is driven by expense.

Status
Not open for further replies.