• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Spark

Dec 6, 2017
Can't wait for this. VR is amazing and needs more deep content like this. I've played enough shooting galleries to last a lifetime.

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
This works in Revive with Valve Index, but I had to turn settings down to "medium" on a powerful system (RTX 2080 Ti, i7-8770K overclocked) to overcome some weird animation stutter issues in Revive. I couldn't reproduce those issues on Oculus Rift S on the same PC.

Also, I'm behind on testing this, but I'm still mixed thus far. I have a certain bar I set for "why does this need to be in VR instead of flat-screen," and the game sure takes its sweet time answering that; it takes forever to get to legitimate sword combat, and when it does, the tutorial completely falls apart.

dsk1210

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh UK
This works in Revive with Valve Index, but I had to turn settings down to "medium" on a powerful system (RTX 2080 Ti, i7-8770K overclocked) to overcome some weird animation stutter issues in Revive. I couldn't reproduce those issues on Oculus Rift S on the same PC.

Also, I'm behind on testing this, but I'm still mixed thus far. I have a certain bar I set for "why does this need to be in VR instead of flat-screen," and the game sure takes its sweet time answering that; it takes forever to get to legitimate sword combat, and when it does, the tutorial completely falls apart.
That's a shame.

I will hold off a few days and see what the general consensus is with Revive and performance.

Quample

Dec 23, 2017
Cincinnati, OH
Yeah, its a great next few months for VR. I'm not in a rush to pick this one up like I am with Stormland, but very glad its getting great reviews. Hope it's profitable, I think Quest getting PC compatibility should help with that.

Edward

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017

I don't know the ocean part in the beginning immediately sold me why it needs to be in VR.

Played about 5 hours and i am absolutely loving it so far. The puzzles, combat, size and scope. The minions everything about this is rad.

furfoot

Dec 12, 2017
Need some more impressions before I jump in. Also on the performance side of things its such an important aspect of VR, shame digital foundry isn't on board with VR just yet.

furfoot

Dec 12, 2017
Finally some decent production values in VR besides Lone Echo. Only problem is it stutters on a 9700k with a 2080 ti (asgard game ready drivers) at totally random moments with 70%+ overhead room on every graphic setting.

oakenhild

Oct 27, 2017
Finally some decent production values in VR besides Lone Echo. Only problem is it stutters on a 9700k with a 2080 ti (asgard game ready drivers) at totally random moments with 70%+ overhead room on every graphic setting.

Do you have the latest nvidia drivers? Reports are that it is much better with those drivers.

OP
OP
DarthBuzzard

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
Need some more impressions before I jump in. Also on the performance side of things its such an important aspect of VR, shame digital foundry isn't on board with VR just yet.
Digital Foundry did do a Wipeout Omega Collection video though. Knowing them, they'll probably be drooling over the idea of making a video on the first dynamic foveated rendering solution in a few years.

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Are there no reviews beside those two from dedicated VR sites?
From what I've heard journalists say there's simply no money in covering VR, that's why regular gaming websites don't do it. Nobody reads those reviews. Only the biggest games get covered and I don't think this one is well known, I haven't heard of it before people started talking about it in the PCVR thread a few days ago. So chances are the journos don't know about it either.

OP
OP
DarthBuzzard

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
From what I've heard journalists say there's simply no money in covering VR, that's why regular gaming websites don't do it. Nobody reads those reviews. Only the biggest games get covered and I don't think this one is well known, I haven't heard of it before people started talking about it in the PCVR thread a few days ago. So chances are the journos don't know about it either.
This is definitely a big factor. It's also why there's so many misconceptions about VR out there - because the media is rarely telling anyone about VR.

Luckily, we have large existing IPs like Medal of Honor and Half Life coming in the near future, so that will start to put a spin in things. Every site is going to be heavily covering Half Life VR, that I can assure you.

You'll see more reviews for Asgard's Wrath come in the coming week though.

GamingCJ

Apr 14, 2019
I was just surprised that not one regular gaming website has published a review. It seems to be a great game with big scope.
There are lots of VR games that get plenty reviews, e.g. Everybodys Golf VR sits at 34 reviews and Blood and Truth at 70.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
The game is great so far but my God those loading times .

Every time I die i get like a minute and a half load.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Looks ... pretty cool.

Getting more of a God of War vibe than a Skyrim vibe from it.

The combat looks a bit weak, though. That first fight he just walks up to a bad guy, sticks to him and swings his weapons for a straight three minutes. I'm sure there are some nuances I'm missing, though.

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
It seems pretty...risky? A big budget game exclusive to VR would need to sell for pretty much everyone with a VR device for it to be atleast successful, right?

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
It seems pretty...risky? A big budget game exclusive to VR would need to sell for pretty much everyone with a VR device for it to be atleast successful, right?
They have to start somewhere. Of course they're going to make losses in the short term but if they don't create these types of deeper and more fully fledged experiences then VR gaming will be forever associated only with casual and quick experiences and never gain any wider traction.

Sure it's a risk though, but not really much of a risk for a company like Facebook.

Fafalada

Oct 27, 2017
It's more AA. Don't quote me on the exact amount, but it was made in like 18 months with 20 people. Something like that.
While by 'flat-screen' standards I'd agree - I think definition should proportional to the market, else we'd have to retroactively classify almost the entire PS2 generation as "AA". I mean noone will spend 100+ on a VR exclusive for a good long while.

Anyway is the OP title stated to be bigger budget anywhere? Given Oculus is publishing and it's 40$ at launch I wouldn't be so sure...

OP
OP
DarthBuzzard

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
This is funded by Oculus. They've funded about half a billion in games, and Facebook in general has no trouble throwing billions around to make VR more mainstream.

OP
OP
DarthBuzzard

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
While by 'flat-screen' standards I'd agree - I think definition should proportional to the market, else we'd have to retroactively classify almost the entire PS2 generation as "AA". I mean noone will spend 100+ on a VR exclusive for a good long while.

Anyway is the OP title stated to be bigger budget anywhere? Given Oculus is publishing and it's 40$ at launch I wouldn't be so sure...
I actually don't think it should be proportional to the market, because then it just confuses things.

If we consider Astro Bot a AAA, most people without VR would disagree and those looking for AAA games would give it a hard pass (unless they actually try it), however if you provide them with a game that is genuinely providing that 15+ hour high budget experience that they're used to, then a lot more eyes will be turned upon it.

PS2 standards are just a different age in general. So much about game development back then has changed. The $40 price tag is likely there to ease people in, as people can be very touchy on spending more than $40 for VR games.

GasPanic!

Oct 28, 2017
Played it for 3 hours and it is growing on me. At first I thought there is a lot of handholding but as you unlock more gameplay mechanics you can approach combat in a lot of different ways.
The Kratos-like axe is very satisfying to use.
Visuals especially in the tavern are really good for a VR game.

Deleted member 40102

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 19, 2018
Ewwe they really need to tune down the effects going , they cover the whole screen and it looks like it would give me a headache sooner than it suppose to be.

Flandy

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Sounds great but I'm not sure I'd be able to run it via revive w/ an Index on my 1080 given I saw complaints of stutter from 2080Ti users

MattAces

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Malaysia
Just played it for maybe 1 hour. First impression is really good. Very well made and felt like a high production AAA game.
Only issue for me is the performance, it's all over the place. But aside from that, great mechanics, great melee combat, great environment design.

Miamiwesker

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
This is what I got VR for. Not experiences. Not arcade games. But REAL action adventure games that can't be replicated on consoles. Thank you!

OP
OP
DarthBuzzard

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018