• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
I was playing it with Quest and streaming but I was getting terrible stuttering, even though I could see it wasn't stuttering on my PC monitor. I don't know if this person's settings would make any difference. I actually hooked up my CV1 again just to play, it sucks being limited to how much I can turn around, I'm so used to doing that on the Quest instead of snap turning lol.
i'm excited to play this!

hopefully it will drive adoption and lead the way for similarly ambitious VR games.

congrats to sanzaru!!!

Starviper

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
Since this isn't available via Steam VR I suppose i'd need to wait for Oculus Link as I have a Quest. Looks really sweet though, I definitely wanna play!

toastybanana

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone using ReVive got any impressions? Any control complications?
I'm using a launch Vive with iffy touchpads. It's a bit of a pain to turn with swiping as it'll turn the wrong way sometimes. Tapping for the A button sometimes registers as a turn too. Apparently you can remap stuff in Steam VR so I should try that next.. or maybe invest in the Index knuckles controllers? On a 6700k/1080ti it runs fine for me with smoothing on.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
I was playing it with Quest and streaming but I was getting terrible stuttering, even though I could see it wasn't stuttering on my PC monitor. I don't know if this person's settings would make any difference. I actually hooked up my CV1 again just to play, it sucks being limited to how much I can turn around, I'm so used to doing that on the Quest instead of snap turning lol.
are you using ALVR or Virtual desktop?

When I tried ALVR I couldn't get games to run smoothly like other people, but since I could return virtual desktop within 2 hours I decided to give it a try and that was running smoothly for me.

I haven't tried it with this though as I don't like my odds of getting a streaming solution + revive to run smooth :P

StudioTan

Oct 27, 2017
are you using ALVR or Virtual desktop?

When I tried ALVR I couldn't get games to run smoothly like other people, but since I could return virtual desktop within 2 hours I decided to give it a try and that was running smoothly for me.

I haven't tried it with this though as I don't like my odds of getting a streaming solution + revive to run smooth :P

It was the same with both unfortunately. With my crappy WiFi router I usually get a bit of hitching with every game using Virtual Desktop streaming but this was worse. It certainly might just be my setup though.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
It was the same with both unfortunately. With my crappy WiFi router I usually get a bit of hitching with every game using Virtual Desktop streaming but this was worse. It certainly might just be my setup though.
ah yeah. you def need a higher end router with at the min 5ghz setting on it.
I'm running off a $150 router so that helps a lot.

GangWarily

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone using ReVive got any impressions? Any control complications?
Playing on Index here. Mostly fantastic with an exception for grip being overtly sensitive so you get sword swapping from hand to hand.

I had some serious performance issues with a lot of stuttering and reprojections. The most recent release of Revive is working much much better.

im really happy to actually be able to play this game :D

Brodo Baggins

Oct 27, 2017
The new Revive update from yesterday combined with the newest Nvidia drivers fixed most of my performance issues with the game :D I played at high graphics settings at 100% SS and was getting 3% reprojection.

Just finished the second chapter where you
fight Tyr, and have to juggle between shooting projectiles and boxing. Holy shit that was epic. Fighting in that village with everything looking like a diorama felt so badass.

I've been enjoying it more and more as I have been playing. Really hoping it continues to improve. I still find the waiting for parry opportunities kind of tiring, but I feel like I'm getting more and more options in combat so hopefully that feeling goes away later.

dsk1210

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh UK
The new Revive update from yesterday combined with the newest Nvidia drivers fixed most of my performance issues with the game :D I played at high graphics settings at 100% SS and was getting 3% reprojection.

Just finished the second chapter where you
fight Tyr, and have to juggle between shooting projectiles and boxing. Holy shit that was epic. Fighting in that village with everything looking like a diorama felt so badass.

I've been enjoying it more and more as I have been playing. Really hoping it continues to improve. I still find the waiting for parry opportunities kind of tiring, but I feel like I'm getting more and more options in combat so hopefully that feeling goes away later.
What graphics card mate?

Still using 1.8.1 version of revive last night as I heard there was crashing with the newest version.
Was having to run on low with my 1080ti to keep performance optimal, quite surprised how good it looks even on low.

Brodo Baggins

Oct 27, 2017
What graphics card mate?

Still using 1.8.1 version of revive last night as I heard there was crashing with the newest version.
Was having to run on low with my 1080ti to keep performance optimal, quite surprised how good it looks even on low.

I have an RTX 2080 + i5-9600k. From what I can tell there was another performance optimization that was the initial target for the 1.82, but it was causing crashes, so they released some hotfixes to not push that fix to Asgard's Wrath until they figure that out so 1.82 should be safe now. But bundled with that was a whole bunch of other performance improvements that were causing crazy hitching on higher settings.

I was getting total frame drops during combat and when randomly when throwing weapons before the 1.82 on anything but low, but now it runs silky smooth on High settings. I might even try to crank it up to Epic, and turn down the in-game SS a bit.

FYI:

"AAA" !== desirable
"Exclusive" !== desirable

You're right about exclusives, but AAA games are exactly what VR needs right now. We have plenty of really cool small scale experimental games, what we need is more complete well rounded experiences that build on top of everything we've been learning about what does and does not work in VR. High fidelity VR games also require a lot of budget to feel immersive, so unfortunately people need deals to be able to afford to make them since the market is really still picking up for VR.

dsk1210

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh UK
I was getting total frame drops during combat and when randomly when throwing weapons before the 1.82 on anything but low, but now it runs silky smooth on High settings. I might even try to crank it up to Epic, and turn down the in-game SS a bit.

Cool. Will download the latest version when I get home from work.

It takes up crazy Vram, I seen mines at 10.5gb last night.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
Here's a tip I figured out after like 8 hours of playing :

Holding down the B button over a follower not only allows you to switch to another follower, but also tell your follower to go away entirely. This is very useful when you get 4 shielded guys which your follower can't hurt.

If you hold B and point at your feet, it will summon your follower back after you dismissed it.

Avis

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Been playing this and it's been pretty fun, but the stuttering has been really bad and immersion shattering. I saw some people talking about waiting if your playing ReVive for some kind of update to fix this?

dsk1210

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh UK
Been playing this and it's been pretty fun, but the stuttering has been really bad and immersion shattering. I saw some people talking about waiting if your playing ReVive for some kind of update to fix this?
Are you using 1.8.2 version of revive as that seemingly has helped with the stuttering. I ha e only tried 1.8.1 and plan to check out the new version tonight.

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
You're right about exclusives, but AAA games are exactly what VR needs right now.

It's true that AAAs will have a snowballing effect with enthusiasts evangelizing to more casual "gamers" and driving VR adoption but I think the timing is still not quite right.

When the friendliest headset to play is the Quest, which is forward heavy, fairly uncomfortable and with a lowish refresh rate, I can't see casual audience embracing VR. Even without the necessary added cost of a $500-700 gaming PC to experience AAA GFX.

I feel that a lot will depend on PSVR 2. It will have the cheapest hardware available on the market for AAA experiences, and a semi-decent resolution (I still expect terrible RES on it: probably closer to Oculus rift S than the Index).

The issue with that one is that it will be a wired experience once again. I don't completely rule out a $200 premium add-on to convert it to wireless (similar to the Vive) but it's a 50/50 proposition in my mind.

Avis

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Are you using 1.8.2 version of revive as that seemingly has helped with the stuttering. I ha e only tried 1.8.1 and plan to check out the new version tonight.
I'll check that as soon as I get home tonight. But I did download whatever the most current version of ReVive was last night. I'll have to see.

Edit: Nope was using 1.8.1, thanks!

Last edited:

Brodo Baggins

Oct 27, 2017
It's true that AAAs will have a snowballing effect with enthusiasts evangelizing to more casual "gamers" and driving VR adoption but I think the timing is still not quite right.

When the friendliest headset to play is the Quest, which is forward heavy, fairly uncomfortable and with a lowish refresh rate, I can't see casual audience embracing VR. Even without the necessary added cost of a $500-700 gaming PC to experience AAA GFX.

I feel that a lot will depend on PSVR 2. It will have the cheapest hardware available on the market for AAA experiences, and a semi-decent resolution (I still expect terrible RES on it: probably closer to Oculus rift S than the Index).

The issue with that one is that it will be a wired experience once again. I don't completely rule out a $200 premium add-on to convert it to wireless (similar to the Vive) but it's a 50/50 proposition in my mind.

I agree mainstream breakout is probably a gen or two away, but there are plenty of gaming enthusiasts still taking a wait and see approach with VR that would be willing to bite the bullet on prive if the software side was there. The wired hardware requirements aren't that steep nowadays either plenty of people have capable PCs already.

Just go look at any meta VR thread on this forum plenty of people decrying the games as gimmicky and without meat.

Avis

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I also completely forgot to check the graphics options, punching it down will probably help.

StudioTan

Oct 27, 2017
This game is so good, it really is the VR game I've been wanting since the first headsets launched....and I feel like I'm barely that far into the game because I'm still getting fighting tutorials lol. I love a lot of the little stuff like your companion wanting a high five after a tough fight. It's super immersive.

I'm hoping it won't be too long before we get something on the scale of Cyberpunk. I want to be immersed in more large worlds like this.

Spark

Dec 6, 2017
I thought the RPG elements and world would be my main interests in this game, but the combat is the most addicting part. After you learn how to parry and dash every fight becomes entertaining. In most RPGs I see combat as a means to an end (better gear or stats), but in this game I get into fights just for the fun of it.

GasPanic!

Oct 28, 2017
I thought the RPG elements and world would be my main interests in this game, but the combat is the most addicting part. After you learn how to parry and dash every fight becomes entertaining. In most RPGs I see combat as a means to an end (better gear or stats), but in this game I get into fights just for the fun of it.

I am only on my first character but a huge problem I have with combat is that the followers can't hurt enemies with runic armor. If you fight against 3 guys with runic armor it's like sending them straight into suicide. Best thing you can do is to remove your follower and do the fight alone, which is pretty ridiculous.

Spark

Dec 6, 2017
I am only on my first character but a huge problem I have with combat is that the followers can't hurt enemies with runic armor. If you fight against 3 guys with runic armor it's like sending them straight into suicide. Best thing you can do is to remove your follower and do the fight alone, which is pretty ridiculous.
Yeah I saw that too. I usually just remove them, and enemies only fight you 1v1 which doesn't make it a huge issue. I assume once you upgrade your follower they'll be more useful in that regard, but I have no idea.

StudioTan

Oct 27, 2017
Finished the first hero's main story, loved the boss fight at the end, really cool shit. Then they did some amazing stuff with scale back at the main tavern and the next area looks amazing. This game seems like a steal at $40.

Deleted member 13645

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Been playing this lately and damn it's a lot of fun. I absolutely love how it plays with scale. I'm only at the first character, just beat the first two tombs, but it's so awesome to go into your god form and see the beach and her all looking tiny, like looking down at a diorama, and then pressing a button and flying down and then be looking out of her eyes. What all looked so tiny now looks so huge and real-to-life. The combat has been fun so far though a bit touchy with the Index controllers. The slightest adjustment of my fingers makes her grab the sword. I'm also horrible at throwing the sword and actually hitting anything.

The idea of possessing different characters to be different classes is such a great idea. I can't wait to keep going with it.

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017
So this seems good then? How is the "standing" experience? I don't have much (any) room to walk around. And anyone know how it performs on a GTX1060?

blackw0lf48

Jan 2, 2019
Was looking for another VR game to play after HL: Alyx and this piqued my interest. How is the story and writing?

Wowzors

The Wise Ones
Oct 27, 2017
Was looking for another VR game to play after HL: Alyx and this piqued my interest. How is the story and writing?
It's quite demanding to run if you are using a valve index. I started it but have put it aside until I get a new graphics card (1080), on medium presets 90hz I still get consistent dips.