• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Rift S or Quest?

• Rift S

Votes: 56 33.1%
  • Quest

Votes: 113 66.9%

• Total voters

cakefoo

Nov 2, 2017
What about the strap though? What about cable management for PC play?

You only solved one of the 3 problems.
I've tackled comfort with a $20 headstrap and a battery I already owned for a counterweight.
Even though I'll be waiting for the $80 official Link cable for PC connectivity, I'll still only have spent $100.

Uhyve

Oct 25, 2017
The S is better for tracking, if your IPD is within the acceptable range for the S and you have no use for the Quest apps, then the S no question. The Quest is a good entry point, which makes the link a great product but if you're just going to end up using PCVR, just buy an Oculus S.

Last edited:

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
If the area around your PC is suitable for VR and you don't think you'd take advantage of the Quest's portability, then go with the Rift. Otherwise, I'd say there's a good case for going with the Quest. I have both an original Rift and the Quest, and though I don't play a ton of VR, I haven't really noticed enough of a difference between the two in terms of image quality to say the Rift is definitively better. Meanwhile, the freedom of wireless VR is fantastic, even just moving the venue from my computer desk out to my living room. I'd love to take it for a spin in a big empty room one day, and that's something I never see happening with my Rift. (Rift S would make this easier since it doesn't require external cameras to be set up, but you'd still need the PC.)

Also, dear god, is the official Link cable really $80? I count myself lucky that I managed to get Link working with just the $15 Anker cable and a $15 extension to get 25 feet out to my living room.

Oct 25, 2017
It's simple. If you are mainly going to use it with a PC there is little reason to get a Quest.
Rift S is lighter, more comfortable and performs better when connected to a PC
Quest makes sense if you really want to use it standalone for the truly cordless experience. Link is just a nice bonus so you can play the games that aren't ported to it.

Greendomo

Oct 25, 2017
I have PSVR and borrowed a friends Oculus Rift, but both weren't suitable to my environment. My PC is in the corner and i have young kids, so setting it up is a hassle. The Quest is a game changer for me. Just being able to slip on a headset in a clear space in my house to play Beat Saber or Superhot is amazing, and I can also play seated games like Tetris VR and No Mans Sky using the link. So if you have kids or your PC isn't in a place where you can free up enough space, I'd definitely recommend the Quest.

Deleted member 14649

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Quest is great for dicking around at parties too and is easy to setup and play in living rooms etc. Should be a laugh at Christmas.

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
Oculus Quest I believe is also easier to use at recording VR games since it has it's built in recording. I don't think the Oculus Rift S has that unless it's actually there and thus you have to use external programs and setting it up isn't the easiest or straight forward either.

Charpunk

Oct 25, 2017
I have both and I find the quest to be a better built headset overall. Plus having access to be completely wireless playing quest games, and being able to plug in a USB cable and play rift and steam VR games is a no brainier.

That said, for my vision I find the rift s to definitely be a lot cleaner and easier to read text but the convenience of the quest is so good.

ProfessorLobo

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Honestly you could probably get a used original Rift for $200, and I haven't really seen anything that special from the S to not save the cash.

Ororo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What's the best cable to use for Oculus link? Would any USB c to USB c work?

Is it better to get a USB c to USB a 3.2?

Please educate me on USB generations

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly you could probably get a used original Rift for $200, and I haven't really seen anything that special from the S to not save the cash.

Inside out tracking is a really big deal.

I have the original Rift, and it needs 3 sensors to work at roomscale. That means a big room where you can wall-mount your sensors, along with active USB extensions (which aren't that cheap). You also need to worry about USB3 bandwidth unless your motherboard has more than 1 USB controller. For most people, that means running one of the sensors with USB 2. It works, but it's a pain in the ass, and unless you're willing to fish some cables through your walls/ceiling, you're going to have cables all over the place and lose 3 of your PC's USB ports.

You might argue that you're mostly playing games where you're facing forward, but even then any game where you need to crouch (say, to pick up a weapon), you're going to run into occlusion issues with only 2 sensors.

The Rift S and Quest simplify this immensely.

In terms of ease of setup: Quest > Rift S > Vive/Index > Rift

Deleted member 14649

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Can someone explain how the GPU impacts on performance with Quest Link? I'm presuming the lesser cards provide a lower resolution for streaming to keep FPS up? I'm just trying to work out how performance scales.