• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Are you upgrading to the Valve Index?

• Yes

Votes: 27 38.6%
  • No

Votes: 21 30.0%
  • Upgrading to a different headset

Votes: 11 15.7%
  • First time buyer

Votes: 11 15.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 23, 2017
As a former PSVR owner (1 year), and current owner of an Oculus Rift (3 years), its been quite the exciting time to be an owner of VR technology.

With about 1 week away from Valve introducing their own flagship VR headset for SteamVR, the Valve Index, one has to ask the question: With what we currently know and what we have seen so far, is it enough to entice you to make the purchase/upgrade?

valve_index_store_page.jpg
(This information was leaked awhile back but we won't have more information until May 1st)

https://www.roadtovr.com/simple-guide-oculus-quest-rift-s-valve-index-hp-reverb-comparison/

Last edited:

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
Yes. I want to experience HLVR and the other Valve titles in the most authentic way possible.

If it has a 135 degree FoV, I will be pretty happy with that until a Rift 2 in 2022.

Akronis

Prophet of Regret - Lizard Daddy
Oct 25, 2017
After how disappointed I was with the Pimax, yes.

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
If it is a nice upgrade over my Rift, then yeah I might. Haven't been using VR much lately but might do again with this.

Metal B

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If there is some kind of Eye Tracking, i will buy it day one. Otherwise i would just buy the controllers.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I'm very much excited to hear more about what Valve's put together, but I think I'll probably stick with my Rift unless Valve's really created something special.

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe? I'd Like to suggest a poll option for index controllers only as it sounds like all you need are the lighthouse boxes to make them work. At the very least I'm buying the index controllers. Been waiting for a long time to move on from the vive controllers.

I didn't think about this until now but index controllers will work with all Vive games? I hope so.

dodo667418

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 28, 2017
I will most probably, yes. Really curious what the headset will offer, but I'm most likely in.

Being an owner of the Vive, I plan to keep my current Lighthouses v1 and just get the headset and knuckles. If the price for the overall package is surprisingly cheap, I might get this bundle and sell my Vive as a complete package. But, and this is more likely I fear, if it all is more expensive than expected, I might also just get the Knuckles for now and upgrade to the Index headset later on. It will all depend on its features, prices and availability.

Super excited, though!

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
Not enough info. There's a lot of things that could get me to, and a lot of things that would keep me away.

I'm still pretty happy with Oculus Rift CV1 in most respects, so it's not like I'm dying to upgrade.

Ionic

Oct 31, 2017
I mean, probably? We should revisit this thread next week when we know the details and the press has given their impressions.

Okii

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Getting the Index controllers day 1, when I hear more info on the headset I'll decide then.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
Will likely get it. Will depend on impressions from others that use it as well as the pricing

I got Oculus Rift when it released. Was interesting but returned it. As its been a while and the market has matured a small bit more will check this out.

JoeBoy101

Oct 25, 2017
That's a fail poll, OP for lack of a 'Maybe' option. My Oculus ran me $400 and as excited as I am to see index, I'm going to temper expectations until I see stats, cost, etc.

That said, i'm hella interested.

Carbon

Deploying the stealth Cruise Missile
Oct 27, 2017
More than likely yes. Will largely depend on pricing when I actually pull the trigger though.

Better resolution and higher FOV with better hand controllers? YES PLEASE.

Absent Uncle

Oct 25, 2017
Oslo
Probably if the sde is low enough. If not I might just get an oculus S or maybe HP reverb to tide me over until proper next gen headsets arrive (I'm assuming Index is $600+ in this scenario)

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
I bought a Vive a little over a month ago. I think I'll be fine.

Kaako

Oct 25, 2017
I definitely need much more info & polished content designed from ground up for that sucker; primarily for the index controllers.

VirtualCloud

Aug 3, 2018
no, i dont think this is generation 2 of vr yet but its starting to get there for sure. Until something like eye tracking comes out and is reasonably priced ill be sticking with my rift.

Deleted member 21996

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Having only bought my Rift last year (and very happy with it) I've not got the upgrade itch yet. Boneworks does look fantastic, but from what I've read Touch seems like an adequate substitute for the Knuckles.

Exciting times ahead either way for VR.

Deleted member 46922

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 21, 2018
It's been said before, but you shouldn't decide to upgrade to something of which the specs are still unknown.
I think I will, because I think this will be a great headset with even better controllers, but i just don't know for sure yet. :)

Zodzilla

Oct 25, 2017
I'm waiting on the reviews, but for now, it's a tentative yes.

At the very least, if I can get the knuckles controller separate, then I'll do those. The Vive Wands are unbearably prohibitive.

j^aws

Oct 31, 2017
UK
Looks like they nailed the Knuckles controllers to be intuitive and versatile, so hopefully sets an industry standard where more content is developed across all VR systems. Get the controller right and hopefully developers follow. Looking forward to next generation kickstarting a new wave of games.

Heid

Jan 7, 2018
This thread is premature OP, we'll have actual details soon.

Then you can actual replies containing information tangible to a discussion other than hype and theory crafting.

Albin

Jun 29, 2018
Headset, probably not right now, I need to upgrade my gpu first.

Controllers, day 1 without a doubt.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Wasn't planning on it, no.

If I were to plop down money right now to upgrade, I'd get the Rift S so I wouldn't have to setup anything if I want to use it. That's the reason I never use my current Rift, because setting up the sensors is such a chore. I don't think we know yet if the Index has some updated tracking method or not, but I guess I really don't pay attention too closely to this stuff nowadays.

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, I haven't bought a VR headset yet, so I chose that poll option, but we don't really know enough about this for people to make informed decisions on it yet.

shiftplusone

Oct 25, 2017
I have a vive and PSVR now, don't think my wife will let me get a 3rd all at once lol

if it can be done peacemeal though, maybe. Would like the controllers on their own first, and go from there.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Official Staff Communication
Thread closed per OP's request.

Status
Not open for further replies.