• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
Okay, so I just went down a rabbit hole I wasn't even aware of until a few hours ago, and I had to share this.

So last February, a VR game released on Steam known as VRChat: http://store.steampowered.com/app/438100/VRChat/

The basic idea is it's a user-creation focused multiplayer game for socializing with others while everyone uses VR technology. Kind of like an old game with a cult following from the 90s known as Worlds.com where people made worlds and characters in an ever-expanding sea of worlds with the sole purpose of being kind of a chat client for people to screw around in and explore. This game works like that essentially, but in VR.

Apparently within the last few weeks it has received a huge surge in new players and sales for a VR game which has only been exponentially growing within the last few days, and I think I know why because how I even stumbled on this was through Youtube through recommended videos just now with this video (I've been watching stuff from the Ricky Gervais Show, not sure if that somehow lead to this but who knows):

I'm not even really going to comment on this, except it got me rather curious.

So digging into this a bit more, it seems this game recently really kicked off in the Youtube scene within the last week. Basically some medium-big Youtubers got together and decided to play and stream it, and others got intrigued and went in, and now it's having more and more ripple effects. There's a lot of videos from the last few days with hundreds of thousands of views, and I'm assuming YouTube algorithms and people sharing these videos are starting to make this game get some attention.

I kind of wanted to get ResetEra's opinion on this since it's starting to actually really blow up in the last couple weeks then the last 3-4 days I am finding looking a bit more into it.

Last edited:

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I haven't tried it myself, but isn't this what Rec Room on PSVR is supposed to be as well?

Anyway, I've been waiting for this to be a fad since that episode of Ghost in the Shell SAC predicted it years back:

406f04cc7ed0bb4423ba61ca832cd3bde94626c1.jpg

OP
OP
Dusk Golem

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
A minute in, men sexually assaulting anime children, seems about right

Give people a weird VR user created platform and there's weird waifu stuff.

So, I guess to iterate for anyone unaware of what it's making me think of, Worlds.com is still active but kind of hard to make work on modern machines as its this 90s 'chat client' thing that's really just a user developed sea of areas and weird artifacts from the 90s. It's almost fascinating these days because all of these worlds people made 20 years ago in the early internet are just now these barren ruins... I can't not believe this game was inspired by that game since the basic concept is incredibly similar, but to try to spark a more modern version. But of course, it almost becomes something of a human experiment.

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Its actually gaining lots of steam for more than a week now. Apprently getting major exposure on twitch too

The CCU was 50% more than last week, according to the dev.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Kind of like an old game with a cult following from the 90s known as Worlds.com where people made worlds and characters in an ever-expanding sea of worlds with the sole purpose of being kind of a chat client for people to screw around in and explore.

You're the first person i have ever seen acknowledge this program. My father and i used to use it all the damn time, we even bought several copies of the full version. We have a boxed cd copy of the last release, then called worlds chat 3d.

Great memories.

brokenmachine

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Been watching Pokelawls lately and it's absolutely hilarious.

They had a talent show and I was dying.

SigSig

Oct 26, 2017
Once I have my Vive set up again I will definitely check this out, reminds my of Second Life but focussed on the fun parts.
Also, Anime continues to be a mistake.

Avis

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Pancake version has really taken off. It's gotten to the point where if you're using an actual VR headset with controllers you'll be mocked for it.

I feel like the second life/garrys mod/etc crowd have really latched on to it.

I log in from time to time just for the spectacle and because it's fascinating, but make no mistake - the community is a shithole. Usually get about 7 N-word and F-word drops on a good day.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
I just discovered those videos yesterday. Absolutely hilarious and pretty devolves exactly into what you would think it would be.

Deleted member 5596

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is basically 4chan on VR.

I might laugh at some of it, but man I wouldn't play that or definetly not with these ppl.

Pleiades

Dec 12, 2017
I don't know how fun the actual game is but the twitch clips it produces are absolute gold.

OP
OP
Dusk Golem

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
This is basically 4chan on VR.

I might laugh at some of it, but man I wouldn't play that or definetly not with these ppl.

It's definitely going to be a big part of this, and why I debated making this topic, but I think it's worth talking about and it's definitely been blowing up so it's not good to ignore something bubbling in the gaming scene I feel. Given that's also not really what the game is about, just it's a user created online VR social game, so it's definitely going to attract a broad spectrum of people, and definitely the '4chan' corner of the internet. It's a bit fascinating, but as these things go it'll probably show some of the best and worst of mankind with entertainment media due to a shared creative freedom space.

rhn94

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Second life-esque?

Alright don't laugh, but I really think facebook wants some kind of VR Social World where socially awkward/anxious people can communicate; ala Gamer (the hit movie with gerard butler), but hopefully without all the weird ass IRL shit and VR instead (also hopefully no sexual exploitation).. that's why they bought oculus and investing quite a bit into VR

Deleted member 13645

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I tried out VR chat a while ago. It was... an interesting experience. There was a giant Sonic running around. Some guy was 2B and staring down at his cleavage. There was 3 or 4 anime girls with full jiggle physics. It was about what I expected. I went down a rabbit hole of learning how to upload avatars and eventually I could become Link and Pikachu. It's cool that it's taking off somewhat, it's a really neat idea and a experience unlike anything else i've had.

Okii

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's completely insane but really cool how it actually feels like a group of people in a real space despite all the insanity, I played it for the first time a week or so back and it was something else.

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Okay, so I just went down a rabbit hole I wasn't even aware of until a few hours ago, and I had to share this.

So last February, a VR game released on Steam known as VRChat: http://store.steampowered.com/app/438100/VRChat/

The basic idea is it's a user-creation focused multiplayer game for socializing with others while everyone uses VR technology. Kind of like an old game with a cult following from the 90s known as Worlds.com where people made worlds and characters in an ever-expanding sea of worlds with the sole purpose of being kind of a chat client for people to screw around in and explore. This game works like that essentially, but in VR.

Apparently within the last few days it has received a huge surge in new players and sales for a VR game, and I think I know why because how I even stumbled on this was through Youtube through recommended videos just now with this video (I've been watching stuff from the Ricky Gervais Show, not sure if that somehow lead to this but who knows):

I'm not even really going to comment on this, except it got me rather curious.

So digging into this a bit more, it seems this game recently really kicked off in the Youtube scene within the last week. Basically some medium-big Youtubers got together and decided to play and stream it, and others got intrigued and went in, and now it's having more and more ripple effects. There's a lot of videos from the last few days with hundreds of thousands of views, and I'm assuming YouTube algorithms and people sharing these videos are starting to make this game get some attention.

I kind of wanted to get ResetEra's opinion on this since it's starting to actually really blow up in the last 3-4 days I am finding looking a bit more into it.

tenor.gif

Deleted member 8861

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This seems absolutely hilarious but my take on the people actually playing is dependent on whether those anime girl models were from people who they knew and were in on this, or not.

No way I can afford VR in the next 5 years though. So I'll just be content with videos.

Cats

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, youtube ended up sending these my way a week or two ago. Not gonna lie, it led to some of the hardest laughs I've had in a while, but not sure it would be something I'd want to do. I like the idea of being any avatar you want, but I'd need structure other than just trolling for lulz. Like an actual game or something.

Deleted member 8861

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The potential though is incredible

Holy fuck guys, can you imagine something like people acting out plays in VR

Deleted member 8861

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Watched some of it on Twitch, and a few days ago they had a legit talent show in game. So yeah that definitely seems possible
Oh man, that sounds incredible...

Any link to that talent show? Fucking around the way these guys do seems worthwhile but I'd love to see how people utilize something like this when they're taking themselves a bit more seriously