• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
I think Sony should allow you to enable 120hz at all times. I think switching from 60hz to 120hz and also VRR on top of that, is tripping up my Denon 3700h used with a LG E9. It sometimes sits there for at least 30 seconds with a black screen until it finally catches up with what the PS5 is outputting. Though I suppose it could be a Denon problem as my Onkyo TX-RZ50 seems to handle it a little better. Directly connected to the TV is the best approach.

AegBrito

Dec 12, 2020
I'm confused with some posts in this thread.

If I put R&C or Miles Morales in fidelity on my 120hz, VRR enable LG CX screen I only get a locked 40 fps.

Is there a confusion here because most monitor (including LG oled) will put information like "118-120hz VRR" but from what i know it's because VRR is active and the fps are inferior to the min Hz required for VRR (48Hz as of now), though reverting to vsync @ screen native refresh.

I guess the patch note of insomniac are confusing or they didn't expect sony to lock the minimum refresh for VRR @ 48Hz. But as of today all their games in fidelity mode on a 120hz screen, at least for me, are locked to 40fps and not using VRR.

Performance RT modes are great though, hovering in the 70-100fps range and brings a lot of clarity when panning/traveling.

I've also tried disabling 120hz to see the improvement on rendering resolution with VRR enabled and on miles morales, especially, you can clearly see some benefits in the pixel count with framerate fluctuating in the 57-60 range.

Micerider

Nov 11, 2017
Definitively. Just because it isn't perfect doesn't mean it won't improve your experience. The game will feel smoother in a lot of situations with enabled VRR.

Yep, just tried it on my LG C9 and it's a MUCH smoother experience. Can't say I could feel and see the drops in FPS like I did before. It's a great addition!

AgentOtaku

Oct 27, 2017
I think Sony should allow you to enable 120hz at all times. I think switching from 60hz to 120hz and also VRR on top of that, is tripping up my Denon 3700h used with a LG E9. It sometimes sits there for at least 30 seconds with a black screen until it finally catches up with what the PS5 is outputting. Though I suppose it could be a Denon problem as my Onkyo TX-RZ50 seems to handle it a little better. Directly connected to the TV is the best approach.

Yup, it's annoying as shit

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
I didn't want to be presumptuous but I know for sure I've never seen or heard reports of screen tearing in UC4.
Yeah, not since uncharted 2, U1 suffers really bad from screen tearing. Tlou1 on ps3 dips a lot too but thanks to triple buffer v sync, it also has no screen tearing issue. It was implemented in most sony 1st party games since killzone 2, that game can run under 20fps but still has no screen tear. Triple buffer v sync is a solution to the lack of vrr display however it also increases input lag.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
Yeah, it's made me realise that the way Xbox has it setup isn't so bad. It'll be perfect once they implement a HDR OS

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
It is kinda weird that they let you force HDR at all times but not 120hz at all times.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It is kind of interesting comparing how each platform holder is doing things with higher frame-rate modes.

I like the idea of uncapping framerates in "supported games" because that just makes sense to me, but I also really like the FPS boost program for specific games on Xbox (I'd just started playing Mad Max again @120Hz on Xbox. Gonna try and finish it this time).
I wonder if there's something how the Playstation OS runs that might hinder a move to a system-level 120Hz mode. I wonder how much work Xbox had to do to implement this. I mean, they did it like 4 years ago, lol.
Not sure what you mean.

Only a couple games on Playstation support unlocked framerates (Spider-Man & Ratchet and Clank is all I'm aware of) and they needed to be patched to allow to do so, just as only a handful of games on Xbox have received FPS Boost up to 120fps, and those also needed to be worked on specifically by the Xbox BC team to allow them to render at that framerate.

digitalrelic

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Yup, it's annoying as shit

Yeah, it's made me realise that the way Xbox has it setup isn't so bad. It'll be perfect once they implement a HDR OS

It is kinda weird that they let you force HDR at all times but not 120hz at all times.

Yeah, 120hz at all times on Xbox is also great because it reduces input latency across all games.

Microsoft now just has to display their UI as SDR in an HDR container, and it'll be perfect. No more display switching/brief signal loss every time I open a game.

Tora

Jun 17, 2018
When you say it isn't so bad, are there known drawbacks to their always 120 hz solution?
People claim that there's stuttering on certain titles - I haven't noticed anything in the games that i've played.

When I said "isn't so bad", I'm mainly referring to when the system has to switch back to SDR anytime you're playing HDR content and switch to the Xbox home screen.
Yeah, 120hz at all times on Xbox is also great because it reduces input latency across all games.

Microsoft now just has to display their UI as SDR in an HDR container, and it'll be perfect. No more display switching/brief signal loss every time I open a game.
Exactly that. I also noticed as well that the C1 menu is a little snappier when at 120hz so it's a nice little bonus.

Wowzors

The Wise Ones
Oct 27, 2017
Anyone test this out with stranger of paradise? Probably the game I would look forward to using this with the most.

Piichan

Oct 28, 2017
Tokyo
I turned on VRR for unsupported games today, and playing Lost Judgment, I'd often get black screens that last for several seconds. I'm playing on an LG C9. Turning off the VRR fixed it… I'd rather not have to switch it on or off per game though. Any ideas for a fix? Or am I missing something?

May 14, 2021
its mostly likely because the game regularly drops below 48fps
if sony hadnt arbitrarily fucking limited the low end to 48, and instead let it go down lower to 40 or so, it would smooth it out SO much
I was wondering why VRR ER on Xbox is much much smoother despite being worse than the PS5 version without VRR. I guess that explains it.

Oct 27, 2017
Has Sony given any reason why there is a 48hz floor? For a console I would think they would try to make it go as low as possible.

Oct 28, 2017
I posted something about this yesterday and I've been searching AV forums and Reddit and can't find anyone who has this problem. I'm on an OLED C1.

When I bring up the game optimizer it shows 120fps but VRR as off. However when I switch to 120hz the frame rate vastly improves. Visually it looks like VRR is working but it's not showing that on the game optimizer menu.

I hit the green remote button a bunch of times to bring up the more detailed menu and it looks like it's working. I'm just not sure why the game optimizer menu is showing VRR off.

VRR is set to automatic and so is Deep Color in the PS5 settings. I'm not sure if there's a TV setting I'm missing here but I went through every single TV menu last night three times.

And yes this is a very frustrating implementation of VRR by Sony. They seem to be kings of these half-ass implementation features. I remember when PS3 launched and it was their big into to the HIgh Def era of gaming but the damn PS3 only supported 720p and a vast majority of TV owners at the time only had 1080i capable TVs. 1080i could only be used on a game by game developer decision basis. So frustrating.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure what you mean.

Only a couple games on Playstation support unlocked framerates (Spider-Man & Ratchet and Clank is all I'm aware of) and they needed to be patched to allow to do so, just as only a handful of games on Xbox have received FPS Boost up to 120fps, and those also needed to be worked on specifically by the Xbox BC team to allow them to render at that framerate.
Oh, I thought that removing the frame limit was "the point" of the VRR patches on PS5. Thought it was at least happening with more than two games, at least.

Yeah, though... I guess FPS boost is all BC games on Xbox. Although it is 40+ games FPSBoost capable of 120FPS on an Series X, so I think "handful" might be selling it short.

I was just comparing them because I saw them as a way for each platform to explore higher-than-60-FPS gameplay through patches.

Kolle

Oct 27, 2017
Luxembourg
LFC is definitely not working right now. I found a spot in R&C Rift Apart in Performance RT where I can get the framerate to drop below 48fps and as soon as it does it starts to judder like it would with VRR disabled. Moving the camera just a tiny amount so it's at 48fps and it immediately becomes smooth again. dgrdsv

Last edited:

bes.gen

Nov 24, 2017
is LFC a tv feature that kicks in at lower framerates or something?
damn i dont need a new tv, but starting to get VRR fomo on top of already existing OLED fomo now. lol

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
I posted something about this yesterday and I've been searching AV forums and Reddit and can't find anyone who has this problem. I'm on an OLED C1.

When I bring up the game optimizer it shows 120fps but VRR as off. However when I switch to 120hz the frame rate vastly improves. Visually it looks like VRR is working but it's not showing that on the game optimizer menu.

I hit the green remote button a bunch of times to bring up the more detailed menu and it looks like it's working. I'm just not sure why the game optimizer menu is showing VRR off.

VRR is set to automatic and so is Deep Color in the PS5 settings. I'm not sure if there's a TV setting I'm missing here but I went through every single TV menu last night three times.

And yes this is a very frustrating implementation of VRR by Sony. They seem to be kings of these half-ass implementation features. I remember when PS3 launched and it was their big into to the HIgh Def era of gaming but the damn PS3 only supported 720p and a vast majority of TV owners at the time only had 1080i capable TVs. 1080i could only be used on a game by game developer decision basis. So frustrating.

My guess would be that you're not getting VRR, but you are getting unlocked framerates. That's based on the fact the TV is reporting the refresh rate as fixed at 120hz.

My Samsung TV is being weird and reporting that VRR is off for Spider-Man MM, but it shows the refresh rate varying from 60 to 90 hz in single hz increments in Performance RT, and from having spent a lot of time playing games with GSync and VRR I know the difference by eye. It's possible you may have a bugged status on your TV (I sure do!), but for both information screens to say the refresh is 120hz... that makes me very confident you aren't getting VRR.

Oct 27, 2017
Bravias have a 48fps lower limit for VRR iirc. Lowering the value for Ps5 it would mean that LG tvs would work better with Ps5's feature set then Sony's own tvs. Petty :(
That's extremely disappointing. I feel that as we get further into this gen we are going to see more titles fall in the below 48hz range in scenarios where this would be a benefit. Kind of defeats the purpose of uncapping high res modes that were traditionally at 30fps but would not be able to stay above 48 consistently.

Last edited:

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
is LFC a tv feature that kicks in at lower framerates or something?
damn i dont need a new tv, but starting to get VRR fomo on top of already existing OLED fomo now. lol
Yeah, it's like if the framerate goes below the "lower limit," it'll double them and display them at double the framerate so VRR will still work. So if the framerate drops to 30 FPS, it'll double each frame and display them at 60Hz. (I'm pretty sure that's how it works, lol)

It's been pretty great, but it requires the minimum VRR framerate to be 2.5 times less than the maximum VRR framerate, which is why it's not working with many games on the PS5 (where the VRR range is 48-60 for games that don't output at 120Hz). If Playstation would output in 120Hz on a system level, then it would open the feature up to many more games (48-120; 48 times 2.5=120).

Macaco5

Jan 2, 2018
So I'm having the most bizarre experience with spiderman miles morales following this vrr update.

As mentioned previously in this thread, I was getting 50 to 70 fps in both performance modes when 120hz was engaged. And noticeable stutter when web slinging. This was on a save file about 5 or 6 hours into the game. Experience was awful.

I couldn't resolve it so started a new save and now it's 70 to 90 fps all the way like everyone else is reporting. Super smooth. No stutters.

Is this just a dodgy save or does this game get progressively worse frame rate wise as you get into the game?

digitalrelic

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh, I thought that removing the frame limit was "the point" of the VRR patches on PS5. Thought it was at least happening with more than two games, at least.

Yeah, though... I guess FPS boost is all BC games on Xbox. Although it is 40+ games FPSBoost capable of 120FPS on an Series X, so I think "handful" might be selling it short.

I was just comparing them because I saw them as a way for each platform to explore higher-than-60-FPS gameplay through patches.
Ah I see. Yeah no, it's more of a potential philosophical approach with Sony's VRR implementation rather than a technical one. The fact that some first party titles have been patched to allow for uncapped framerates suggest that it's possibly an approach Sony plans to adopt moving forward.

...or this could've just been an independent decision by Insomniac and doesn't reflect a trend looking forward. Who knows?

Either way, I just hope uncapped framerates is something we see much more of in the coming years. I want to juice every last frame per second out of these consoles as I possibly can rather than be limited by an arbitrary framerate cap.

bes.gen

Nov 24, 2017
Yeah, it's like if the framerate goes below the "lower limit," it'll double them and display them at double the framerate so VRR will still work. So if the framerate drops to 30 FPS, it'll double each frame and display them at 60Hz. (I'm pretty sure that's how it works, lol)

It's been pretty great, but it requires the minimum VRR framerate to be 2.5 times less than the maximum VRR framerate, which is why it's not working with many games on the PS5 (where the VRR range is 48-60 for games that don't output at 120Hz). If Playstation would output in 120Hz on a system level, then it would open the feature up to many more games (48-120; 48 times 2.5=120).
thanks this is greatly informative. one more q, is LFC across the board for all tv brands with VRR. or is it like an LG feature?

Tora

Jun 17, 2018
Why is the control centre rendered at 1080p when 120hz is enabled? It's still 4k when you back out to the PS5 home menu, but playing any title that supports 120hz, it's noticeably softer

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Either way, I just hope uncapped framerates is something we see much more of in the coming years. I want to juice every last frame per second out of these consoles as I possibly can rather than be limited by an arbitrary framerate cap.
Big agree. Also, it would be very interesting for performance testing too, lol.

thanks this is greatly informative. one more q, is LFC across the board for all tv brands with VRR. or is it like an LG feature?
I think your display needs to support it. It's not an "LG feature" though, since my ASUS monitor supports it, too.

Like all displays that support Freesync Premium and Premium Pro are supposed to support LFC.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
Looks like Sony implemented this quite poorly.

Do they want to sell TVs that badly?

I might actually get the Bravia OLED lmao.

Jazar

Oct 25, 2017
South Florida
PS5 VRR is better than not having it but Xbox implemented VRR so much better:

- set 120Hz at a system level which enables LFC on VRR across the board on a wider window (not just 48-120 like ps5 does)
- VRR support for Backwards compatible titles
- support for freesync and tons more display devices as they are not tied to HDMI 2.1

While I am glad we finally got VRR support on PS5, I still would pick XSX on multiplats for the better VRR implementation.

How many PS4 games would benefit from VRR? I would imagine most games are either locked 30 or 60. (please lordy no one mention Bloodborne)

Really the only main issue for someone with an HDMI 2.1 setup is your first point and that really affects a small handful of titles that dip below 48 with 60Hz which will hopefully dwindle as more devs officially support VRR.

Hoggle

Mar 25, 2021
How many PS4 games would benefit from VRR? I would imagine most games are either locked 30 or 60. (please lordy no one mention Bloodborne)

Really the only main issue for someone with an HDMI 2.1 setup is your first point and that really affects a small handful of titles that dip below 48 with 60Hz which will hopefully dwindle as more devs officially support VRR.

It would ensure all games run smoothly, even if they have only a few small drops. Plus games like Until Dawn can run at 50FPS for extended periods.

PolygonFlux

Jan 1, 2018

What mode are you using in MM? I'm pretty sure that the fidelity mode (or whatever it's called) locks the screen to 120hz and uses a frame rate of 40fps (similar to Ratchet and Clank). There's no need for VRR, because it doesn't deviate from this frame rate.

Performance modes have a variable frame rate and so they use VRR.

If you're using the latter, then as another poster said, it may be a bug.

master15

Nov 28, 2017
What mode are you using in MM? I'm pretty sure that the fidelity mode (or whatever it's called) locks the screen to 120hz and uses a frame rate of 40fps (similar to Ratchet and Clank). There's no need for VRR, because it doesn't deviate from this frame rate.

Performance modes have a variable frame rate and so they use VRR.

If you're using the latter, then as another poster said, it may be a bug.

I haven't tested this myself but he claims there is a difference in MM with Fidelity mode with VRR enabled compared to it disabled-

m.youtube.com

PS5 VRR Range JUST 48Hz to 120Hz On Unsupported Games ?

It looks to me, that on unsupported games the VRR range is JUST 48Hz to 120Hz . Not a big Deal because it appears to me that supported games are working jus...