• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
I curse a lot, it's part of my vocabulary, but racial slurs are out of limits for me.

Black_Red

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, and when I learned a person from my college friends / online games team was gay I felt bad about all the times I used the "no seas maricon" (dont be a fag) insult to anyone, he says he doesnt care but I still try to avoid it, but its hard when you have been using those phrases for years.
Now we have a woman on the team and I have to learn to avoid the "no seas pussy" (dont be a pussy, yes, that is used in english here for some reason).

I curse A LOT when I'm with friends, and I'm really good at avoiding slurs in college/work/family but when I'm with people I consider friends a relax instantly, and living in a poor zone with friends who cursed a lot I just adopted the same expressions.

TLZ

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No I don't like cursing and I don't like how people curse so casually like it's nothing. I try my best.

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I grew up in a pretty rural part of America, so my friends threw around 'gay' and 'faggot' as an insult when we were kids. I decided around high school this wasn't a good idea and stopped, but I remember calling people out on it well into college. Never any racial slurs though, although I did hear it way too often growing up from adults.

I try to use the generic curse words for emphasis or comedic effect rather than hurtful ways. Less 'fuck you' and more 'fuck, that's a big dog!'

Deleted member 6436

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just say sonofabitch a lot. If I need to go higher I get creative. "Dick waffle" is a good one lately.

Never slurs.

Dervius

Oct 28, 2017
UK
I've found a lot of people on ResetEra a progressive bunch. Like many progressives, I refrain from using slanderous words that have hateful meaning toward people of certain colors or sexual orientation.
That being said, I'm only human, and games can be infuriating if you feel like you've been cheated and have let a slur slip up on more than one occasion (Always in private and never over mic or in front of people), usually to allow some of that frustration vent.

I'm only asking about words that are more deplorable than "fuck". You all know the words. Do you ever find yourself just yelling out a specific slander word that you would never say outside your house or in front of others? Or do you find yourself well regulated or bottle it up?

OP, I'd say resorting to slurs such as those you imply goes beyond being "only human". If you find yourself using racial or homophobic slurs I would try and consider why they're in your mental vocabulary in the first place. The fact that these words are uttered in private doesn't make it any better IMO.

Near enough everyone swears, and there's a litany of words you can go to that work exceptionally well in alleviating stress and don't deride entire groups of people.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Worse than "fuck"? The few that come to mind I could never think of saying out loud.

gnoclaude

Banned
Nov 30, 2017
OH MY GALOSHES! I totally rage during Monster Hunter. Don't know if what I say is offensive or coherent but it drops fast and furious.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Just the usual curse words, nothing ever extreme because, well, that's not a good thing to do.

It's all fun and games though, never out of actual anger.

OP
OP
SaviourMK2

SaviourMK2

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
CT
User Warned: Derogatory Language + Homophobic Slur
What are you saying the nword when you get killed or something?

Let me clarify, I personally don't use racial slurs, even in private. My words are typical restricted to
faggot
and
cunt
because I hung around with people who threw that word around a lot when I grew up.
But I watch a lot of rahe videos (CoD gun game) and I noticed a lot of people just scream racial slurs, so I was curious if people sometimes let it slip or if it just slips

Psychonaut

Jan 11, 2018
Oh, I thought this would be about fuck. I was confused.

No, I don't... anymore. Sometimes when I'm playing with friends from home I revert to old speech patterns (where casual use of the n-word in a non-derogatory manner is frequent), but I've been working at removing it from my vocabulary entirely.

Black_Red

Oct 27, 2017
OP, I'd say resorting to slurs such as those you imply goes beyond being "only human". If you find yourself using racial or homophobic slurs I would try and consider why they're in your mental vocabulary in the first place. The fact that these words are uttered in private doesn't make it any better IMO.

Near enough everyone swears, and there's a litany of words you can go to that work exceptionally well in alleviating stress and don't deride entire groups of people.
Culture. And it will vary from countries, regions and even neighborhoods.

Some months ago my little sister said "look at those niggas" because there was a big group of black people waiting for a bus (some years ago it was really weird to see black people in this country) I was shocked and asked her where she learned that word and said it was from a song and from some youtubers because of the "My niggah" meme and I had to explain to her it was a bad word
When I was in school kids said it too, but because of GTA San Andreas and we never knew it had some bad implications until I heard it was called "the N word" in some countries.

People will just hear a phrase being used in a certain way enough times and they will repeat it. It doesnt mean that person is a racist/homophobic.

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
Have you seen how in movies Shia Labouf goes "nonononononononononoono!" when shit gets real? I do that but instead it's "fuckfuckfuckfuckfuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck!!"

Oct 27, 2017
I use lots of curse words but I try really hard not use slurs. I used them in HS (Alabamian here) and I realized how bad that was as I got older.

alzabo

Dec 31, 2017
Pretty sure I was a sailor in a past life. I can cut it out when the context requires usually.

FUME5

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I swear like a fucking sailor, but racist and sexist based insults aren't a part of my vocab.

As an Aussie, I consider 'cunt' to be a non gendered insult.

Chekhonte

User banned for use of an alt-account
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Your word, vulgar, roots from the latin word vulgus which means a crowd of people or commoners and is a bigoted and slanderous word.

wisdom0wl

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
slurs? bruh. no.

I thought this was gonna be something like do you call someone a punk pussy bitch but jesus

Snowybreak

Oct 25, 2017
Slurs never enter the stream of explitives that accompany my vocabulary when I'm playing games.

I love calling any object a punk-bitch though.

quesalupa

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
US
Is cunt supposed to be worse than fuck? If so, I guess I do. I don't say anything racist if that's what you're asking.

Conciliator

Oct 25, 2017
I have to admit that I went to high school in the 90s and a lot of my small lame circle used "retard" a lot. That was one I had to unlearn. but other than that my favorite curse words have proven to be quite popular. As long as I got my fuckin's and my goddamnits and my shits, I'm really good.

sonofsamsonite

The one who likes mustard
Nov 1, 2017
Fuck no.

I do sing along to Kanye West lyrics when I'm alone, though, including THOSE words. Please do not charge me with a hate crime.

Oct 30, 2017

I agree that uttering slurs in private isn't any better than in saying them in public, which is why I still feel bad about having muttered a couple of slurs to myself back in college, but I do think there are circumstances in which a person may attribute saying a slur to be being only human (not that this excuses anything.) In my case, I muttered racial and homophobic slurs to myself after I had gotten out of bed twice to politely ask my dorm neighbor to turn down his K-pop. Normally, I might have just gone for a walk or something, but since it was late and I was already in bed, I chose the words specifically because I knew they were more hurtful than typical swears, I and thought they would help me vent without just yelling nonsense and disrupting everyone on the floor.

Again, that's not an excuse for my actions -- no matter how angry I was, I should have found some other way of handling it. But, I mention it because I hadn't used either word before in my life, so I didn't use them because I had formed a habit; and, while I can understand why anyone reading this would have their doubts, I didn't and don't hate black or gay people, so I didn't use them because of bigoted viewpoints. I know my reason for using the slurs didn't make them any less hurtful, but I do feel like my actions would fall under the "only human" classification, not that that classification lessens the impact.

TheCthultist

Oct 27, 2017
New York
Only online. And even then its typically without a headset on...
In real life I just kind of bottle it up. Don't want to lose my job over swearing at a bunch of kids...

iAmPossum

Oct 29, 2017
I don't wanna be a bad influence so I tone it down on/offline. Tho I don't give a hoot when cursing privately.

Xe4

Oct 25, 2017
I try to do as little cursing as possible at all, because I think it hinders communication or serves no purpose.

But when I do it's usaually words like "fuck" or "shit".

Deleted member 42221

Banned
Apr 16, 2018
I swear a lot - but I don't use slurs. If I want to insult someone I'll insult them for being a shit person, not for their race or gender or sexuality.

Oct 25, 2017
Rarely. It looses meaning to do it all the time and it makes you sound like an idiot. The trick is to use it sparingly enough that when it happens people know you are very upset.

Oct 25, 2017
I curse a lot. The ratio of posts I have on this board containing a variation of the word "Fuck" compared to posts that don't is probably hilarious. I stay far, far away from slurs though. My cursing usually consist of fuck, asshole, and god damnit. I used to say bitch a lot as well, but I've been trying to chill out with that after that one thread

Bakercat

Oct 27, 2017
'merica
I think the worst one I still use is "cocksucker" but I'm not sure that has sexual orientation bias or not. I never felt comfortable using cunt though, hash to harsh of a sound and doesn't feel good to use personally, but that might be cause I'm American.

FUME5

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think the worst one I still use is "cocksucker" but I'm not sure that has sexual orientation bias or not. I never felt comfortable using cunt though, hash to harsh of a sound and doesn't feel good to use personally, but that might be cause I'm American.

May I suggest "sockfucker" to fill that void.

Booki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
I might throw out a "cunt" every once in a while, but that's reserved for a special someone. Everything else is the usual NY flavor.

Deleted member 19868

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I don't use slurs at all. I keep it clean in public or around sensitive people. When I'm in private the fucks and shits flow pretty freely, though.

Oct 25, 2017
I used to say "I've been gyped" from time to time until the wife pointed out I was offending her heritage. Don't do it anymore obviously.

I legitimately had no idea it was a slur until someone pointed it out that it was a slur for gypsy's on the old place. I used to say it a ton, and it slipped into some of my friends vocabulary because of that. None of us had any clue, probably because we're American.