• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

LordOfLore

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Stockholm, Sweden
Link.

"I'm an asshole. I'm abrasive. I am so sure that I'm right about virtually everything. I can sing you an aria of reasons to not like me," says comics writer Christopher Priest, his bass voice rising to the brink of anger but never quite tipping over. "Not liking me because I'm black is so juvenile and immature, because there's many reasons to not like me." He's speaking, as he often does, about the racism — both overt and structural — that he's faced in the comics industry over his 40-year career. But that set of attributes, seen from another angle, can apply to the reasons to like him, or at least admire him — he's unwaveringly outspoken, endearingly opinionated, as well as a pioneer in the comics industry. He's also likely the only comics writer to have taken breaks from his career at various times to toil as a musician, pastor, and bus driver.

Priest, who's 56, is about to see some of his most influential work go wide in a major way. His turn-of-the-millennium run at Marvel Comics, when he was writing the character Black Panther, has served as an inspiration for this year's feverishly anticipated Marvel Studios film Black Panther. Given the comics world's self-image of liberal inclusivity, and the fact that Priest is the first black writer to work full time at either Marvel or DC, starting with his first regular writing gig back in 1983, you might think he is long established as an elder statesman of the industry.

But until recently, Priest had bounced from job to job (including the aforementioned bus driving) and was largely denied the recognition he deserves. Indeed, talk to comics historians and they'll have to pause for a minute and think before they conclude that, yes, he probably was the first African-American writer to truly break that barrier in superhero comics. Even among fervent fans, his milestones are far from common knowledge. He'd worked in quasi-obscurity for three decades before angrily retiring in 2005, opting to pursue work as a man of God in Colorado.

During that period of self-imposed exile, though, something happened, something Priest himself finds curious: He not only became recognized; he became a kind of icon. His run on Black Panther now merits its own multivolume reprint, Black Panther by Christopher Priest: The Complete Collection. He has reentered the spotlight, returning to Marvel — a place with which he has had a contentious relationship, to say the least — to write a new title, as well as taking on DC's flagship team-up series, Justice League. To his surprise, he finds that crowds now pack convention halls to see him speak.

At a moment when Marvel Studios is making a self-consciously bold statement on inclusivity with Black Panther, Priest's breaking of a color line deserves to finally be acknowledged. While Priest did not invent the Black Panther character — a superhero and king of a fictional African nation who had been kicking around Marvel for decades — in many ways he revolutionized it.

Much more at the link. His current work on JL and Deathstroke is amazing.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I mean he was cool before priest. Not like he was luke cage before bendis

Soj

Oct 27, 2017
One of the best writers to ever work in the medium.

DC needs to collect his run on The Ray.

sad but rad

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
I mean he was cool before priest. Not like he was luke cage before bendis
luke-cage-power-man-and-iron-fist.jpg

VAD

Oct 28, 2017
Holy shit, until looking him up on Wikipedia, I thought he and The Prestige's writer were the same person. They just share a name.
I don't remember his BP run being all that good. I will re-read it to be sure

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Great writer and his run was influential for sure. Glad he's on Justice League now-it already seems like a fresh take.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Wow, I honestly had no idea he was around before the 90s. I always assumed he cut his teeth on Quantum and Woody and then moved on to Panther. I'm curious about his Power Man and Iron Fist run now... is it any good?

Great read. I really need to catch up on Deathstroke, finished the first trade and just haven't gotten around to the rest.

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
I think his were the first Black Panther comics I read. Weird now that I think about it T'Challa have never died and been rebranded/replaced for awhile. I know his sister was BP for a time but I cannot remember how long that lasted.

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
I clicked this thread thinking "this better be about Priest". Glad to see him get some props.
I discovered BP through his run so of course I'm biased, but it's one of my all-time favorite Marvel runs.
And I've yet to finish it. Hey, I'll catch up eventually.
He's a great writer, I recently read his 80s Falcon mini and Triumph. Such a unique style. And unlike many comic writers that started in the 80s, he's still firing on all cylinders. I'm not fully on board with JL yet but Deathstroke is absolutely brilliant, some of his very best work.

Nightside

Oct 28, 2017
I think his were the first Black Panther comics I read. Weird now that I think about it T'Challa have never died and been rebranded/replaced for awhile. I know his sister was BP for a time but I cannot remember how long that lasted.

I think what struck me more about T'Challa in the brief time I was reading marvel (stopped after Siege, so we're talking about a long time ago) is that he was (and I hope he still is) the only super intelligent human being in marvel universe with some common sense.

Soj

Oct 27, 2017
what. He had Ray run?! The only thing of The Ray I read was the Quesada limited series. I assume it was really good... yes?

It's very good, and you'd most likely enjoy it if you liked the original limited series. From memory, it is pretty continuity heavy though.

At the time, I remember being disappointed that Quesada wasn't doing the art (the drawings were all kid me cared about), but I picked it up anyway, and was glad I did.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Dude also wrote Triumph the most hated DC Super hero in universe and by comic creators

CoolestSpot

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think Steve and Kirby made him pretty rad since day 1 if I've being honest.

But Priest is gold, I hate the shit he's had to put up with cause racist whitelords at the top.