• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

OrangeAtlas

Oct 25, 2017

The Oscars are, quite famously, named after Oscar the Grouch, the prototypical angry white man. Viewed through this historical lens, it makes sense that the Academy inordinately rewards films about white men who are very, very furious about something. What they're mad about doesn't matter. It could be anything, really — a person, a car, a breakfast, a political uprising, a horse. It's the sheer fact of manly misanthropy that makes a film compelling, important, and worthy of praise. A good film should force you to stop and wonder: Why is this man mad, and is it my fault? (When a fictional woman is angry, remember: She's ungrateful. And this is unattractive to the Academy, who just nominated, like, ten women!)

During 2020's furiously truncated Oscar season, it will be hard to remember: Which white man is pissed about which thing, again? Below, we've created a helpful list. Refer back to it early and often until you, too, become incandescent with rage. Maybe someday somebody will make a movie about you!

A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood:Chilling
lack of external rage indicates quiet internal fury

Parasite: N/A

List at the link.

Too late to add Oscar the Grouch as 2020 host?

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
too much mustard in my sandwich

not enough mustard in my sandwich

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
Hard to grasp what the article is even trying to poke at from that blurb, is this worth a click?

Bobson Dugnutt

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I know it's a hard career to make some money and with poor job security but journalism seems easy.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
the rise of skywalker one was the only funny one but that's because it's the only one that seems accurate while the other ones don't make a lot of sense. Also paragraph before the list doesn't make a lot of sense.

LBsquared

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 22, 2019
I hope the OP posted that as a joke to be pointed and laughed at.

Dec 2, 2017
User banned (3 days): Inflammatory off-topic derailment, posting an inappropriate photo
[mod edit: photo removed]

The author.

Intersectionality's great and all, but I'm pretty sick of blonde women pretending to disown their whiteness to look cool when it's convenient for them.

Last edited by a moderator:

Irnbru

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
On man you can drown in the salt in here. you even have some ad hominems now based on the way the writer looks!

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
I figure it's self-explanatory, but it's cool right now for women like her to arms-length whiteness, pretending it's something being done by other people. The moment it goes out of fashion (and it will), it'll be back to history as usual.

It is self-explanatory, but it's sure not what you just wrote here. There's one person in that post without a good look and it ain't her.

Dec 2, 2017
It is self-explanatory, but it's sure not what you just wrote here. There's one person in that post without a good look and it ain't her.
If you say so. Trying to use gender as a get-out-of-guilt-free card, deflecting and projecting onto men as though they're not intimately connected to all of this, it's transparent and it's gotten old. Don't believe anyone who pretends to target their own in-group for profit and attention like this. It's a pose, and a disingenuous one at that. If you choose to take this stuff at face value then carry on.

Davilmar

Oct 27, 2017
I already knew it was going to be about the Joker. Someone tell me whether this article is worth it?

Nintenleo

Nov 9, 2017
Italy
Why are we posting pictures of the author in here? What the hell.
As a journalist, I'm pretty scared about this stuff.

Anyway, I liked the article. The Star Wars one was absolutely worth it :D

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA
Woman writes article taking a satirical jab at white men, and of course now it has to be a discussion of how she looks and behaves. Give me a break.

Fugu

Oct 26, 2017
If you say so. Trying to use gender as a get-out-of-guilt-free card, deflecting and projecting onto men as though they're not intimately connected to all of this, it's transparent and it's gotten old. Don't believe anyone who pretends to target their own in-group for profit and attention like this. It's a pose, and a disingenuous one at that. If you choose to take this stuff at face value then carry on.
...No, it was definitely you who made gender a thing here by looking up and posting a photo of her.

The author wrote an article about the unbearable whiteness of films at the Oscars this year while making no attempt to exonerate herself or anyone else by doing so. Also, being white isn't an "in-group" and acknowledging the bad behavior of white people is something we should frankly all be doing.