• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
I like to think I'm pretty car savvy, but I had no idea this was the case and just lost an office bet.

Apparently BMWs (and other German cars) don't ever offer remote start - even as an upgrade - because of German laws. As someone who has driven plenty of Bimers, I never noticed it didn't have remote start. And as someone who usually drives a manual, it means little to me since then it's not an option, anyway.

But this seems like a huge miss. Do people just not care? Funny you can buy a $10K Malibu with remote start but a $100K M5 won't.

Anyway... the more ya know and all that. Hoping someone can prove that that's NOT the case and I can get my $5 back, but I'm gonna assume no.

May 10, 2018
I'm American but isn't it because of European laws about not letting a car run idle or something like that.

Last edited:

KHarvey16

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You can get remote start on some 7 series I think.

It's not popular because of German laws about unattended vehicles idling, the general wastefulness of idling cars and the fact modern fuel injected cars don't need to warm up and can actually be harmed long term by it.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
I'd have to check my BMW app, but I've never used the feature on any BMW I've owned. I tried it once on my Jaguar for the novelty.

I'd probably be more useful if I was somewhere it gets really cold.

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
I have no idea, although I confess I've always felt remote starters to be an unnecessary thing. And yeah, I've lived in cold climates and started vehicles in -30 to -40C before. You plug beforehand and once you've gone out and started the car you'll be spending a couple of minutes scraping the windows anyway. To get the ice to fall off/defrost itself you're going to let it idle for a while, which is more than a little wasteful.

m23

Oct 25, 2017
eh I just get in the car and crank the heat, it's got heated seats and they warm up pretty quick

It's probably not a good idea to crank the heat up as soon as you start the car during winter up North, like here in Canada. You'll be blasted with freezing air while waiting for the car to heat up and that can take a few minutes depending on how cold it is.

Deleted member 4247

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm American but isn't because of European laws about now letting a car run idle or something like that.

I don't know, Swedish cars (Volvo) definitely let you start the heater remotely. I don't know if that's the same thing as what this thread is about, but probably?

This doesn't make the car idle though, I'm pretty sure. It's just electricity (so I think the car needs to be plugged in).

I've never actually owned a car, but I've seen my dad do stuff. :)

TheMan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Turtles are dying in this muthafucka and you want to idle more? Plant some trees first to atone

Freakzilla

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Remote start is a godsend in colder climates.

My wife's Mercedes has remote start through their app.

Its a travesty the abuse people put their cars through and not to mention the environment. The amount of time the car would have to be running for it to warm up is ridiculous. Even in 10 degree weather, I don't use the remote start on the car and never bother putting on the heat until the temp gauge moves a bit. Just wear a coat and some gloves. Hell, I even sleep in my car in that weather before work starts and I never leave the engine running. Just grab some blankets.

Meauxse

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
BMW offers it as an after sales item for the f15 and f10 I think.

BMW now offering a new after sales Remote Engine Start (REns) system for the F15 X5 and F10 5 Series. The new BMW remote engine start is the perfect solution for those who prefer to warm up, or cool down their car before setting out on their journey. The system utilizes your existing key fob and is activated with three presses of the lock button. The system first checks with the vehicle to make sure it is safe to start before remotely initiating engine ignition.
Remote Engine Start Benefits The BMW remote engine start is fully integrated into your BMW's electrical system and key fob and does not require carrying additional remotes.
  • Warm up or cool down your BMW from the convenience of your own home or office
  • Intuitive and seamless from your existing key
  • Easy to use - Simply push the luck button two times, then press and hold it a third time for about 1-2 seconds to remote start your BMW
  • Your BMW will run for up to 20 minutes before automatically shutting down for safety
  • Can be added to a new or used vehicle

For remote starting all windows, doors and the sunroof must be closed and the vehicle locked. The electronic parking brake must be engaged with the transmission in park. The vehicle cannot have any check engine lights or be low on fuel.
Installation requires an BMW key fob to be integrated into the Remote Engine Start unit (BMW PN 64 50 2 408 984). The remote start unit is $525.00 if you want to use an existing key. A complete remote start kit for the F15 X5 is $890.00. Installation time is approximately 1.5 hours so the total cost will end up slightly north of $1000.00. Not cheap, but for a factory approved remote start system it is worth it.
BMW is currently only supporting the F15 X5 and F10 5 Series but I expect if there is interest this will be expanded to additional models.

Also there are aftermarket options but Comfort access on the e70 for example allowed remote ac.

Deleted member 2809

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's nice to have your car warmed up/cooled down before you get in.
For people that live in really cold climates, it helps warm the car up before you get to it. As I understand it.
Remote start is a godsend in colder climates.

My wife's Mercedes has remote start through their app.
It's a blessing on my Pilot. Car too hot or too cold? Remote start kicks on the heater or AC to bring the inside to a comfortable temperature. This is great when you have an infant.
I go out and start my car in the morning from ~Dec - March, so it's warm when I get into it. But, I also have a newborn baby and didn't used to do that before she was born.
So just burning more gas. Got it.

nullref

Oct 27, 2017
What's the point of it ? Just burn more gas ?

It's generally used in places with extreme temperatures—for example, in Canadian winters you often need to leave your car warm up for a few minutes before it's ready to drive. (You let the engine warm up, the interior warm up, let the interior heater melt some of the frost on the windows, etc.) So it's convenient to do that remotely rather than having to go out in the cold to do it.

Edit: Seems letting the engine warm up is an outdated thing. So it would just be about warming the interior and maybe defrosting the windows. If you haven't regularly dealt with -30 C temperatures, you might not fully understand the appeal.

Last edited:

KHarvey16

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I understand the comfort aspect, but modern engines don't require warming up and doing this regularly can damage them.

Deleted member 1086

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Boise Area, Idaho
to be fair I don't really drive the Mustang if there's much snow on the ground

but idk I don't see it as a big deal. When I was a teenager I drove a 1970 Ford Maverick with a carbureted engine and a three on the tree manual transmission, and I had to dive that in the Idaho winters, would have to sit at stoplights with one foot on the brake and the other on the gas to keep the thing alive. Once you drive something that is that much of a pain in the ass everything else is a breeze in comparison. What's ten minutes in the cold really?

Donos

Nov 15, 2017
In german called "Standheizung" (park heating) is what you are looking for and is definitely configurable with some BMW models and other german cars. Can turn it on with remote or app. Uses extra gas though.

Meauxse

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA

SpecX

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I'm surprised, even my Chevy Volt has this option. As others stated, yes it burns gas, but it works out great to have a nice warm car for you and the family when it's freezing cold out or have the interior cool down in the scorching summer.

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
I have it on my Golf GTE and I love it. Very useful for about 6 months of the year in Scotland in the morning. Obviously using electricity not petrol for me so no guilt.

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
For people that live in really cold climates, it helps warm the car up before you get to it. As I understand it.

Most cars also have high idle states on a cold start (not cold outside, but the car hasn't started up for several hours) to warm up your cat converters. You don't want to start moving until your rpms drop to a normal idle (500rpm or so usually) which usually takes about 30 seconds.

It's a nice convenience feature imo.

Jazzman

Oct 25, 2017
I found out after we bought our Golf 2017 Sportwagon that in order to get remote start, I need to essentially bury a key in the car as well to get it to work, and that just sounds like nonsense.

But when its -40 out, you really do need it.

Meauxse

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Continuous short runs on the bmw diesels are extremely bad for the engine and dpf/exhaust system. It is extremely important for the car to make full 80c otherwise the exhaust can be clogged as the particulates won't burn.

Just while we are talking here about whether warming up is required. Can take 10 to 15 minutes. This is a Hotspot for the x5 and 335d as the thermostat has many issues and will early open not allowing 80c to be reached.