• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lmao @ going to see a G-rated Disney family movie and expecting some sort of exposition on white men slaughtering the natives. Whole lotta brains in your family.
The fuck is wrong with you? Was an insult necessary?

It was the 90s, we went to see the next animated Disney film because it was Disney. We didn't get to research the film thoroughly like we do now on forums. We went to see it and as we came out my dad tought me how what I just saw was completely Disney-ified. I was 9 and not an American so his very quick history of the real mistreatment of Native American Indians was welcomed and needed.

Last edited:

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Lmao @ going to see a G-rated Disney family movie and expecting some sort of exposition on white men slaughtering the natives. Whole lotta brains in your family.
Not to dogpile on you, but Disney did put out a G-rated animated family movie a year earlier about a brother who murders his sibling, his nephew finds the corpse and is scared off into the wilderness where he lives in self-exile for years.

And then they followed up Pocahontas with a G-rated movie about church corruption, sexual perversion, human deformity and ostracized minorities, and the importance - and dangers - of religion and religious zealotry.

kegkilla

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not to dogpile on you, but Disney did put out a G-rated animated family movie a year earlier about a brother who murders his sibling, his nephew finds the corpse and is scared off into the wilderness where he lives in self-exile for years.

And then they followed up Pocahontas with a G-rated movie about church corruption, sexual perversion, human deformity and ostracized minorities, and the importance - and dangers - of religion and religious zealotry.
Your interpretation of Hunchback is a pretty big stretch.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
ITT: People who haven't heard the wolf cry to the blue corn moon.

Movie is a mess in places, but it's a fairy tale compared to what really happened anyway, so...

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Your interpretation of Hunchback is a pretty big stretch.
Hunchback deserves far more love and study. Disregard the gargoyles and it's a seriously dark, depraved story that explores a tale of "a man, and a monster".

All while, you know, the main villain is a lusty pervert who tries to murder a girl for rejecting his advances while aiming to use church power to commit genocide against her people, while the deformed child he tried to kill and only held onto to misuse and mistreat eventually takes action against him. That's not really an "interpretation". That's, like, the main plot of the movie.
1273667059d296e8a0efd15a5a3396b1bce4c11e_hq.gif

kegkilla

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The fuck is wrong with you? Was an insult necessary?

It was the 90s, we went to see the next animated Disney film because it was Disney. We didn't get to research the film thoroughly like we do now on forums. We went to see it and as we came out my dad tought me how what I just saw was completely Disney-ified. I was 9 and not an American so his very quick history of the real mistreatment of Native American Indians was welcomed and needed.
Your pops should have balanced out the Disney with some Maiden

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
My college instructor worked at Disney and it was FASCINATING talking to him about that era of Disney. Katzenberg was credited with "saving" Disney, but, hoo boy, did SO many of the animators resent him because so much of what he got credit for were things he was actively fighting against that they fought hard to keep or include.

Like The Rescuers Down Under was supposed to star an Aborigine child, but Katzenberg demanded it be a white boy. "Part of Your World" in Little Mermaid was almost scrapped because Katzenberg felt kids were unfocused during a test screening and that meant it was boring. SOOO many of Disney's "top talent" were put on Pocahontas as the "Oscar film" that he openly talked down about the B-team making a "silly talking animal movie"... that turned out to be The Lion King.

But Pocahontas itself was just... whew. They could do a whole movie about the making of that movie and how ill-conceived most of it was.
Probably the most absurd Katzenberg story I heard was his feedback to Bill Farmer (Goofy's VA) during the production of A Goofy Movie.

He told him he needed to use his natural voice because no one would take it seriously.

He was concerned no one would take a character named "Goofy" seriously, in a movie called "A Goofy Movie," if he had a goofy voice.

140.gif

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My college instructor worked at Disney and it was FASCINATING talking to him about that era of Disney. Katzenberg was credited with "saving" Disney, but, hoo boy, did SO many of the animators resent him because so much of what he got credit for were things he was actively fighting against that they fought hard to keep or include.

Like The Rescuers Down Under was supposed to star an Aborigine child, but Katzenberg demanded it be a white boy. "Part of Your World" in Little Mermaid was almost scrapped because Katzenberg felt kids were unfocused during a test screening and that meant it was boring. SOOO many of Disney's "top talent" were put on Pocahontas as the "Oscar film" that he openly talked down about the B-team making a "silly talking animal movie"... that turned out to be The Lion King.

But Pocahontas itself was just... whew. They could do a whole movie about the making of that movie and how ill-conceived most of it was.
I find this endlessly fascinating. I hope all of this is true and not made up. Wow.

Deleted member 3815

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's also telling that Pocahontas is probably the only real life figure that Disney animated as they realised that they can't disnefy it and expect to get away with it.

The entire movie was tone deaf from start to end.

God Boogie is a fucking idiot.

They'd come a long way from the What Makes the Red Man Red days of Peter Pan

Buuuut there was still plenty more to go

Peter Pan used to be my favorite Disney movie but the fact that the song exist and Disney hasn't really acknowledged that it's racist makes it really uncomfortable to watch.

Cheerilee

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Out of curiosity, what was the exact context of this?
Internet celebrity JonTron got himself in a ton of hot water by revealing himself to be a White Supremacist.

Boogie suggested that maybe America should learn from White Supremacists like JonTron (because of course, White Supremacists are rational people, who have valid opinions, and some really good ideas, once you sit down and really listen to them), teach the White Supremacists (because of course, nobody has ever tried teaching these people, and White Supremacists are clearly reasonable people who are open-minded and willing to learn), and then America can come to some sort of compromise position with White Supremacy (like, maybe instead of killing all the Black people, or allowing them to live in peace, we could come to the less extreme middle-of-the-road position of merely enslaving them and forcing them to work on cotton farms?).