• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Yellow bandana with ninja claws. Cool idea or no?

• Yeah, seems cool to me

Votes: 556 71.2%
  • No, there should only be the four main turtles.

Votes: 225 28.8%

• Total voters

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
jennika-8-1563231002410.jpg

I saw a random ad while browsing Facebook, and was like wait, there's five turtles in that picture. Then I realized one was wearing a yellow mask.

I went and looked it up and apparently her name is Jennika, she wields claws like Vega from Street Fighter, and is a super serious outcast member of the team who used to be Shredder's second-in-command.

Jennika-female-ninja-turtle-first-look-1.jpg

Reminds me a LOT of this guy from Mighty Morphin Power Rangers.

Has the "used to work for the villain" and "slightly different vibe" and "late member of the team" boxes all checked.

Seems cool to me, and I am normally very skeptical of added characters to established teams like this. Maybe she'll end up catching on?

What do you think?

Shantae

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Feb 15, 2019
Forget Jennika, what the heck is that little cat dude in the back lol

GatsGatsby

Oct 27, 2017
West Columbia, SC
As long as the story is good and they actually invest to make this new character something then I'll be fine with it. Sounds like they're on the way to doing those things which is good its better than when they shoehorned in that other female turtle I think her name was Venus. As cool as it was to see a female turtle they just kinda tossed her in the mix and it was really jarring and it didnt make you give a shit if she was there or not.

HammerFace

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit Jennika got turned into a turtle?? I stopped reading this series like 6 months ago but that's pretty rad.

Forget Jennika, what the heck is that little cat dude in the back lol

Thats Raphael's little pet alien thing. I forget it's name, I want to say pepperoni. I believe he got it during one of their trips across dimensions.

Dongs Macabre

Oct 26, 2017
Don't know much about TMNT lore but it looks like she's a human turned mutant turtle? But aren't the rest of the team turtles turned mutant turtles?

OP
OP
SolVanderlyn

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
I really don't think this character being female is really of much note, it is a cool way to spice up the team and add a bit of variety to the all-male cast but I mean... almost nothing about this character would change if she were male. Like I didn't even think about that as a major point of the character when I saw her.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I think the character would be cool either way anyway and that the base ideas behind the design, abilities and personality seem really solid to me. Her being a girl is just like a different flavor of icing on top of the cake.

Being a former human is the part that really jumps out to me.

HammerFace

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Don't know much about TMNT lore but it looks like she's a human turned mutant turtle? But aren't the rest of the team turtles turned mutant turtles?

yes-ish. They are turtles that have been turned into mutant turtles but they were given the psychological profiles of 4 children from Feudal japan by the utrom. Same with splinter he was a rat turned into a mutant rat but was given the psychological profile of Hamato Yoshi, who was he father of those 4 boys from feudal Japan.

Jindrax

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Is this cartoon or purely comic books?

nded

Nov 14, 2017
I only wish they would have pulled her name from an Italian Renaissance painter. Technically Baroque era, but Artemisia would have been a badass name for her.

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15
yes-ish. They are turtles that have been turned into mutant turtles but they were given the psychological profiles of 4 children from Feudal japan by the utrom. Same with splinter he was a rat turned into a mutant rat but was given the psychological profile of Hamato Yoshi, who was he father of those 4 boys from feudal Japan.

Also depending on what you want to go on. The comic or the cartoon.

Soj

Oct 27, 2017
I like her design. Is the current Turtles book good? I might have to check it out.

HammerFace

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I like her design. Is the current Turtles book good? I might have to check it out.
when I was reading it I liked it a lot, my biggest gripe is that you sort of had to read like 3 or 4 series concurrently to keep up with all of the turtles universe. You could make do without, but it just bugs me when a series diverges into multiple series.

Rob

Oct 25, 2017
SATX
I thought this would be about Kirby, but Jennika sounds pretty cool. I guess I should catch up with the IDW books.

Sou Da

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I only wish they would have pulled her name from an Italian Renaissance painter. Technically Baroque era, but Artemisia would have been a badass name for her.
She used to be human and they didn't want to give it away immediately. This genuinely came out of nowhere.

It is one of the most consistently good comics on the shelves.
Is this cartoon or purely comic books?
Pure comics for now.

Sou Da

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Raph is the best in the new comics and I really hope someday that a movie or cartoon adapts his story in this one.

hat_hair

Oct 26, 2017
Changing up the dynamic seems fine to me, but I'll be surprised if there isn't another reboot at some point that removes her. There's been so many versions of the turtles now that any addition should probably be considered temporary.
The only characters I can think of that stuck are Rocksteady, Bebop and Karai.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
I would normally not be fond of the addition of other turtles, but y'know what, she looks really fucking cool so I can get behind this.