• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Yellow bandana with ninja claws. Cool idea or no?

• Yeah, seems cool to me

Votes: 556 71.2%
  • No, there should only be the four main turtles.

Votes: 225 28.8%

• Total voters

T8SC

Oct 28, 2017
UK
I'm happy she exists, and doubly happy that she annoys you so much.

The movie Turtles are pretty far from "the originals", btw - If you want to start this Gatekeeping bullshit.

4 turtles in the ooze. I'm old enough to remember the original comics when they all had red bandanas. I'm also old enough for this crap to not annoy me as much as you might think, but I'm allowed an opinion, of which I voiced. Sorry to disappoint you.

King Alamat

Nov 22, 2017
4 turtles in the ooze. I'm old enough to remember the original comics when they all had red bandanas. I'm also old enough for this crap to not annoy me as much as you might think, but I'm allowed an opinion, of which I voiced. Sorry to disappoint you.
For someone who says they're not annoyed, you sure are hella defensive about it.

Not everything from years ago needs changed to fit in with the "everyone needs catered for" modern way of doing things.

This is not a good hill to die on. It seems you don't even realize this isn't a new character. She is years old and well-established. Her near-death and mutation were a major plot twist, and a well-constructed one.

Did it bother you when April, in various turtles stories, learned martial arts and became a ninja as well?

The classic turtles aren't even being changed, replaced, or even vaguely affected. An existing character who happens to be a woman who can use weapons got a similar mutation.

In a franchise with hundreds of mutants of every species, gender, and origin.

The irony is that the narrative you're trying to force this into would be more fitting if, for example, Jenny had been given a a painter's name and retconned as the lost sister of the four turtles or something.

Kalmakov

user requested ban
Banned
Sep 10, 2019

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017

Yet, you keep posting whiny and aggressive comments in this topic.

Your opinion stinks, and people are allowed to tell you that. :D

T8SC

Oct 28, 2017
UK
User Banned (1 Week): Trolling and Antagonizing Other Users Over Representation Concerns Over Multiple Posts
For someone who says they're not annoyed, you sure are hella defensive about it.

Hmmmm I don't think having a strong opinion on how the world has gone a bit crazy on everything being equal & politically correct, means im annoyed. You're a bunch of strangers on a web forum.

ZealousD

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I'm into it. Her design is badass. I like the addition of a female turtle to add some variety, and I think this is a great way to do it. I would like to see her in other continuities. Her backstory makes it a little harder to stick her in shorter stories like a movie, but you can stick her into a longer running cartoon pretty easily.

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Agressive? Interesting. I'm not bullying anyone.

Hmmmm I don't think having a strong opinion on how the world has gone a bit crazy on everything being equal & politically correct, means im annoyed. You're a bunch of strangers on a web forum.

Hilarious. You're ignorant at best, playing a very transparent game at worst. Maybe just stop responding with your shitty dogwhistling.

T8SC

Oct 28, 2017
UK
Hilarious. You're ignorant at best, playing a very transparent game at worst. Maybe just stop responding with your shitty dogwhistling.

Not ignorant and not playing any games, you were correct with the first word of your sentence, I'm hilarious. Thanks. Much love. Ciao.

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
She looks like a cool addition. She doesn't seem to be named after a famous artist though, as far as I can tell. Did they drop that theme, or am I wrong? Famous women painters do exist.

Deleted member 1190

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Not really sure why you think age somehow provides credence to your arguement

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
The name Jennika is not from anywhere, right? No reference to a famous artist? Thats my only complain

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018
Heck they should revamp Venus and bring her in too. Give her a bow and arrow and some tonfa or something.

Kalmakov

user requested ban
Banned
Sep 10, 2019
Not ignorant and not playing any games, you were correct with the first word of your sentence, I'm hilarious. Thanks. Much love. Ciao.
2f7.jpg

DanGo

Oct 25, 2017
The name Jennika is not from anywhere, right? No reference to a famous artist? Thats my only complain
She has a completely different origin, so it'd be pretty contrived to force her name to match. It makes sense.

It'd be a different story if this were a reboot and she was created alongside the other four.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I should read IDW Turtles..

But it seems like the books are out of print in Germany - the first one is nearly 60 Euro instead of 30.

SamAlbro

Oct 25, 2017
I'm honestly surprised it took them 30ish years to add another turtle. All you gotta do is throw in another color and weapon.

They've attempted it a few times. Venus was pretty well hated, Karai became a snake mutant in the 2012 series because they couldn't get approval to mutate her into a turtle due to reaction to Venus, and Eastnan and Laird had plans to introduce a Liefeld style fifth turtle named Kirby if they got a fourth live action movie.

captmcblack

Oct 25, 2017
They already did this before, totally here for it because the comics I've read so far in the IDW series have been super good (I'd argue this is the best version of TMNT ever made, and I hope there's a cartoon based on this).

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
What's next, a female James Bond? A male Lara Croft?... Oh wait ... That's already been through the news. #GottaCaterToAll

Edit: Adding a new turtle is not required. Making the turtle female is just the typical modern way of having to cover all bases to keep everyone happy.

Oh my god, you actually typed this shit.

OP
OP
SolVanderlyn

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
You're looking at the big comprehensive IDW collections, which collect at least a dozen issues per volume.

But yes, comics are indeed expensive.
Well, I bit the bullet and ordered the first volume. Reception to the IDW comics has been overwhelmingly positive and I love the artwork, so I'm gonna dive in and see how it goes despite not reading comics really ever.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
To be fair, these comics have been SO GOOD that if they went with boob shell venus I would still give my 100% blind aproval

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well, I bit the bullet and ordered the first volume. Reception to the IDW comics has been overwhelmingly positive and I love the artwork, so I'm gonna dive in and see how it goes despite not reading comics really ever.

Welcome to one of comics' secret best ongoings.

Now read Transformers More Than Meets The Eye!

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
The fifth character being female is the main reason I'm on board as it's really the only way you can justify making a new Ninja Turtle.

OP
OP
SolVanderlyn

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
Welcome to one of comics' secret best ongoings.

Now read Transformers More Than Meets The Eye!
If I'm going to break piggy banks for a comic book series I'm going to do it one series at a time, lol. But I'll keep it in mind.

The fifth character being female is the main reason I'm on board as it's really the only way you can justify making a new Ninja Turtle.
Ehhhh, I don't think so. Like I said earlier in the thread, I think this concept is just really cool in general and would work whether she was male or female. Accepting her or giving her "points" just because she's "the girl turtle" is doing a disservice to the character concept, IMO.

zashga

Losing is fun
Oct 28, 2017
First I've heard of this, but she seems alright. The more serious TMNT style always throws me; I haven't followed the franchise since the early 90s.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
Media evolves and changes, to be upset at it is to be an old man yelling at the clouds.

Camwi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
For someone who claims to be so old, you sure are acting childish as hell.

This is like whining about The Avengers not having the original lineup anymore (can you believe they added a... WOMAN?!).

Time to grow up. The male/female population is basically 50/50, but groups like these have traditionally been all male for...reasons? This isn't political correctness, it's history correcting itself.

Go find something actually worth being offended by.

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
Media evolves and changes, to be upset at it is to be an old man yelling at the clouds.

Especially when its in a fucking comic series. I mean any long running IP has many variations in how its portrayed and used, but especially in comics when runs are subject to change or restart and have a totally new story set, who gives a fuck?

Granted IDW has kept this going for what... like 7 years now, which is a pretty damn long run as they approach 100, but if you can't explore and try new stuff in comics, where can you?

Aranjah

Oct 27, 2017
The character seems interesting and I love the design. The design is making me want to check out the comic based on the design alone and I'm not even a comics person.

Deleted member 17403

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
She seems like a welcome addition, though it's kinda weird that her receiving transfused blood turned her into a turtle. Would've preferred if Shredder wanted to create his own turtle to combat the turtles and so he did so using the same process that birthed his greatest enemies. The present origin just seems contrived.

RedHoodedOwl

Nov 3, 2017
I will never understand why some fans of the 2003 series will call the 2012 series silly and lighthearted.