• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Dude gets shot in the back, after years of shooting people in the back, he goes to hell and realizes shit is motherfucking real, makes a deal with the devil to lead the charge on judgement day reaping humanity so he can see his kid again. And the first thing he does when getting a new lease on life is go live in a trash pile in a random alley?

Man what were we smoking to buy this shit by the bus load in the 90s?

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The man just wanted to bang his hot wife one last time. Is there anything more relatable?

Doggg

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 17, 2017
I thought it was kind of amazing that Alan Moore and Frank Miller could write for Spawn and it still sucked.

RedHoodedOwl

Nov 3, 2017
Dude gets shot in the back, after years of shooting people in the back, he goes to hell and realizes shit is motherfucking real, makes a deal with the devil to lead the charge on judgement day reaping humanity so he can see his kid again. And the first thing he does when getting a new lease on life is go live in a trash pile in a random alley?

Didn't Simmons disguise himself as his former best friend to sleep with his wife?

Bladelaw

Oct 25, 2017

Ok so 90's edgelord teenage me thought Spawn was the shit. Basically Ghost Rider but even edgier because cape. Finally a brooding anti-hero with vaguely defined powers that combined Punisher, Ghost Rider, and Batman who gave zero fucks about anything but vengeance with just enough sympathy via his wife and kid to "understand where he's coming from". Then I grew up.

The toys and McFarlane's art carried things hard. Like so many dark 90's stuff you kind of look back and go wtf?

OP
OP
Slayven

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017
Ok so 90's edgelord teenage me thought Spawn was the shit. Basically Ghost Rider but even edgier because cape. Finally a brooding anti-hero with vaguely defined powers that combined Punisher, Ghost Rider, and Batman who gave zero fucks about anything but vengeance with just enough sympathy via his wife and kid to "understand where he's coming from". Then I grew up.

The toys and McFarlane's art carried things hard. Like so many dark 90's stuff you kind of look back and go wtf?
I know right, Authority is just plain embarresing today. Despite Dalek fanboying it

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Spawn was pure 90s excess, and damn if I still don't love some of it (I look forward to Spawn in MK11), but part of his appeal was that he was a constant screw up and you kept wondering how he was going to somehow make things even worse for himself.

Like trying to use his powers to make himself look normal, but the only thing he could do was make himself look like the dopiest white guy ever.
81124674.jpg

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, when you think about it like that...sure, pretty fucked up. But it was the 90s though and he had cool chains, a cape and the dude straight up slaughtered guys. We ate that edgy shit up by the shovel load lol

Akumatica

Oct 25, 2017
I was there day 1 as a Todd McFarlane fan. I read Image comics for the art from him, Jim Lee, Dale Keown, Sam Kieth & Whilce Portacio. Once Greg Capullo took over Spawn I dropped it (his art back then was awful, his newer stuff looks a lot better from what I've seen). Todd's writing was never a draw for me especially with his run on Spider-man.

Last edited:

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Didn't Simmons disguise himself as his former best friend to sleep with his wife?
Spawn was pure 90s excess, and damn if I still don't love some of it (I look forward to Spawn in MK11), but part of his appeal was that he was a constant screw up and you kept wondering how he was going to somehow make things even worse for himself.

Like trying to use his powers to make himself look normal, but the only thing he could do was make himself look like the dopiest white guy ever.
81124674.jpg

Uh, what the fuck

OP
OP
Slayven

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017
Say waht you will about Youngblood, but at least they admited the whole thing was the power fantasies of a illiterate man child

Deleted member 30544

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Nov 3, 2017

I believe this is because he doesn't remember anything no? Also, Basically Malebolgia fucked him in returning him as a disfigured hellspawn instead as Al Simmons, that's why he just hangs out in the ally while he was recuperating his memory.

At least that's what i remember LOL.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
The toys and McFarlane's art carried things hard.

I've been reading the first dozen or so books, and I'm actually shocked at how terrible the art is. It's half cool looking stuff and half malformed caricature.

Spawn himself looks badass, but everything surrounding him is just shit. Everyone who appears on the "TV News" interstitials looks like ass, and any children that appear are just horrifying.

Speaking of the TV News stuff, it's shocking how bad the writing is there. Just a deluge of clumsy references that did not age well at all.

Bladelaw

Oct 25, 2017
I've been reading the first dozen or so books, and I'm actually shocked at how terrible the art is. It's half cool looking stuff and half malformed caricature.

Spawn himself looks badass, but everything surrounding him is just shit. Everyone who appears on the "TV News" interstitials looks like ass, and any children that appear are just horrifying.

Speaking of the TV News stuff, it's shocking how bad the writing is there. Just a deluge of clumsy references that did not age well at all.
Yeah but those full page Spawn shots look so good. You're not wrong, the story is garbage and any non-action panels are clearly rush jobs.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Spawn is peak Edgelord 90s shit.

Armageddon is the only story arc that isn't, at best, so bad its good.

And I say that as a Spawn fan who read every issue until 2012 or so when it all went to shit again. I peaked again a few years later and in the latest issue they tried to tackle Black Lives Matter.

...Yeah.

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
i see no problem with any of this.

You go to hell after a life of assassinations and tell me you won't make a deal / live in a happy meal box in an alley.

shit got real.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
I think my favorite thing about Spawn (early on, at least, I dunno if it gets better), is that Todd writes for a bunch of characters/jobs that Todd clearly has no familiarity with and did absolutely no research on. Half the dialog is clearly "here's what Todd thinks a cop would say" or "here's what Todd thinks a black guy would say".

Oct 30, 2017
Really now, the best thing Spawn ever did was give us some really cool looking toys and an awesome Dresmcast game.

Seriously, how have none of you brought up the Dreamcast game?

MrNewVegas

Oct 27, 2017
Didn't realize we had a lot of kids on here who just don't understand a real grown ups comic

This is sarcasm,plz don't ban me.

SJRB

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
For a 12-year-old kid the shorter arches were amazing. The Chrismas issue where Spawn kills burglars during Christmas, Cy-Gor, Angela, motherfucking Houdini.. Crazy shit.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know but it was the last time cape comics had any relevance so something had to be going right.

RedHoodedOwl

Nov 3, 2017
Chapel from Youngblood wasn't any better.

He murdered homeless people to draw out Simmons and killed himself so he can become a hellspawn himself.