• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
Per the FAQ page:

https://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/22521/p/897

Can I use My Nintendo Gold Points to purchase the Nintendo Switch Online membership?

Gold Points can be used when purchasing a membership in the Nintendo eShop. They cannot be used for auto-renewal.

This is actually a good thing, because I'm starting to accumulate gold coins on My Nintendo account, yet I don't know what special discounts I can use to buy games I want to play.

It seems the gold coin points are with the same value for an online membership as they are for software/games, and I feel that this is a good decision Nintendo has made for their online service.

Update:

Ok, just went and kept reading, and there's this additional link that goes in detail about gold coins redemption towards Switch Online:

https://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/28423/~/how-much-are-my-nintendo-gold-points-worth-towards-digital-purchases?

My Nintendo members earn Gold Points equivalent to the following percentage of the purchase amount (excluding tax and any points or discounts used):

• 5% for eligible digital software (Nintendo Switch, Nintendo 3DS, and Wii U)
  • 1% for physical purchases (Nintendo Switch)

They can be redeemed for $0.01 per Gold Point towards digital Nintendo Switch purchases.

For example - if you spend $59.99 to purchase an eligible digital game, you will accrue 300 Gold Points (5%). This equates to $3.00 in Gold Point value that you can apply to a future purchase on www.nintendo.com or in the Nintendo Switch eShop.

nI82z9v.png

So with this conversion, in US, you earn an additional 1-month Switch Online plan for free for every 2 purchases of a $60 game digital game.

Last edited:

Ryengeku

Oct 26, 2017
Georgia, US
Per the FAQ page:

https://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/22521/p/897

This is actually a good thing, because I'm starting to accumulate gold coins on My Nintendo account, yet I don't know what special discounts I can use to buy games I want to play.

It seems the gold coin points are with the same value for an online membership as they are for software/games, and I feel that this is a good decision Nintendo has made for their online service.

Thoughts?
It'd be another slight against their offering if that wasn't the case. Sony allows you to buy their membership with Sony Rewards.

Last edited:

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know why they wouldn't, it's just a form of eshop credit. But you'd need to be spending $400 annually on the eshop to earn it so it's not like you're going to be saving that much

Risq

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
How can the Nintendo Hate Machine spin this into a negative?

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
I don't know why they wouldn't, it's just a form of eshop credit. But you'd need to be spending $400 annually on the eshop to earn it so it's not like you're going to be saving that much

Considering switch users are starved for content to buy is there even $400 of games to buy on the eshop in a given year?

/s

If switch continues to get the ridiculous conga line of amazing indie games and aca/ages/etc I think it's fairly reasonable for someone to spend $400 digitally a year on switch even if they buy their retail games physically.

i-Jest

Oct 25, 2017
Suddenly my 3DS and WiiU wishlist has taken on additional potential value for me.

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
It's official: Nintendo Switch Online is technically free.

NINTENDO HIT IT OUT OF THE PARK AGAIN

Lambda Teos

Nov 24, 2017
It'd be another slight against their offering if that wasn't the case. Sony allows you to buy their membership with Sony Rewards.

And I just looked up Xbox Gold....that can only be bought with real money....wow Microsoft.

Microsoft allows you to get points by answering surveys, using Bing and purchasing games, these can be used to either get memberships via account.microsoft.com or enters contests for 12 month memberships

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you are buying 7+ games per year I'm not sure why a $20 online subscription is really a concerning expense.

gordofredito

Banned
Jan 16, 2018
seeing that Mexican equivalent reminded me why buying Nintendo first party games in the mexican eShop is stupid. They cost $80 usd digitally but cost $60 usd in amazon

There is no incentive to buy them digitally

TripaSeca

Oct 27, 2017
SĂŁo Paulo
People hit Nintendo hard for no discounts but this is a permanent 5% rebate on all purchases, including pre-orders. Nowadays it's even better than Amazon prime if you buy more than 3 games a year.

Kneefoil

Oct 25, 2017
I guess that's kinda cool, although I've never been anywhere close to 2000 gold coins, which would presumably cover an entire year.

MesaEterna

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
seeing that Mexican equivalent reminded me why buying Nintendo first party games in the mexican eShop is stupid. They cost $80 usd digitally but cost $60 usd in amazon

There is no incentive to buy them digitally
That's the case for the US too though. Games are $60 digitally but are often found at ~$45 even at launch

lovecatt

Nov 12, 2017
People hit Nintendo hard for no discounts but this is a permanent 5% rebate on all purchases, including pre-orders. Nowadays it's even better than Amazon prime if you buy more than 3 games a year.

Coins expire so not permanent.

They've been pushing double coins for some digital purchases too which is very cool though

King Dodongo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Wait! I had no idea this was a thing, so you get points every time your purchase a game, and those points can be used as currency in the e-Shop? I gotta admit, I ignored this existed and now I'm curious to know more since I'll be getting a Switch soon.

Bowl0l

Oct 27, 2017
It's not permanent. The gold coins you accumulate decrease each time you use it.
Try buying only one game with the same price while using the gold coins for several times and try to guess if your gold coins increased or decreased?

Sal_S

Oct 30, 2017
Hamilton
You can use gold coins for anything digital. I hope they give gold coins for getting NSO. Tho that would be too good to be true.

OP
OP
delete12345

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
Coins expire so not permanent.

They've been pushing double coins for some digital purchases too which is very cool though
Wait, what? Double gold coins for pre-ordering digital?

Now with this, plus being able to use them to pay for Switch Online plan, it gives me more choices to cancel my Amazon Prime subscription due next year.

Bowl0l

Oct 27, 2017
Wait, what? Double gold coins for pre-ordering digital?

Now with this, plus being able to use them to pay for Switch Online plan, it gives me more choices to cancel my Amazon Prime subscription due next year.
Selected titles will have double gold coins (2x 5 = 10). Buying digital gets you 5x the amount.

Lambda Teos

Nov 24, 2017
It seems @GoNintendoTweet (go nintendo website) had no idea about this either hahah just saw their tweet of the article they just posted

This sounds good, it´s an additional value which is good ;)

EDIT: upon further inspection... they posted the article by Nintendo Soup, which gives credit to this post here in resetera, kudos to them!!!

https:///you-can-use-gold-points-to-redeem-nintendo-switch-online/

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
Considering switch users are starved for content to buy is there even $400 of games to buy on the eshop in a given year?

/s

If switch continues to get the ridiculous conga line of amazing indie games and aca/ages/etc I think it's fairly reasonable for someone to spend $400 digitally a year on switch even if they buy their retail games physically.

...I can probably just barely manage 400 for the rest of the year if I bought everything digital. Depends on if Best Buy has a good eshop credit deal on Black Friday.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
Oh yes, you reminded me. If you buy games that are MSRP of $60, but it's discounted at select retailers, you earn more gold coins that way. That is cool to think about.

It's true though this mainly applies to physical games which gets you much less gold coins. Sale games on the eshop give you the value you paid and sales of online code switch games are rare as hen's teeth.

Ororo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You guys know that you can only use as many gold coins as Nintendo allows you per product? Like for a $10 game they only let you use around $2 off of the price with gold coins and a $60 you can take maybe $8 off so most likely you own't be able to get the service for "free*" since you'll still have to cough up money besides the gold coins.

*since those coins are indeed worth money for other stuff as well so you ARE paying.

Bowl0l

Oct 27, 2017
You guys know that you can only use as many gold coins as Nintendo allows you per product? Like for a $10 game they only let you use around $2 off of the price with gold coins and a $60 you can take maybe $8 off so most likely you own't be able to get the service for "free*" since you'll still have to cough up money besides the gold coins.

*since those coins are indeed worth money for other stuff as well so you ARE paying.
Didn't know that. Nintendo does think of everything when they want to save..

OP
OP
delete12345

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA

Yes, but we now have a worthy option, in case nothing in the current catalog entice us to use our gold coins.

Risq

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 29, 2017

Is this true? I bought enter the gungeon entirely with credit when it was on sale..