• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 30, 2017
If I'm going to see a friend and I'm going in as someone is coming out, honestly, I don't really have to tell them why I'm there. Is it polite to do so? Sure, but fuck you if your white ass is going to question me when I'm going about my day. Sorry but I don't have to answer to anyone, unless it is literally property management or the guy who maintains the buildings.

Disagree strongly. If you're tailgaiting into my apartment block (and I know you don't live there). I would want to know who you are as I live there.

Edit: take back what I originally said. Understand why the dude was apprehensive about someone tailgating into the building.

On the victims side, can understand being upset about being profiled. Would Chris had called the cops on a white guy?

Last edited:

Deleted member 984

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Black Americans should call the cops on white people for doing nothing at all in protest.

If people did actually do that I guarantee the reaction would be far in excess of anyone commenting on this specific case.

oledome

Oct 25, 2017
I have hope for the kid, that age and knowing what's right, despite the father being a racist bastard

LookAtMeGo

Oct 25, 2017
a parallel universe
Lmao

Anyone trying to say this was about trespassing and not racism is full of shit. Dude was obviously taking pleasure in phoning the cops there and yall know for a fact if this was anyone other than a black man that the cops were not getting called. Even if it was tailgating. If it was anyone else, this smug motherfucker would have held the door open for them.

Him not trusting this guy because of the way his dad got killed isn't an excuse. It's actually a major plot thread of fucking American History X.

razakin

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Finland
So wait, the guy was already inside the lobby when that racist wanker came and called the cops? Then he really shouldn't have no reasons to call anyone but mind his own business. But if the person would be tailgating to get inside, just say "Sorry, I don't know you, thus I can't let you in", instead of going the route that tends to happen. Especially if the apartment complex etc. has rules put up.
Hopefully we will soon read that Youtube has fired that racist.

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
If he was actually trespassing, how the fuck did he enter the building then? If there are no locks on the front, who gave him the fucking jurisdiction to decide who can/cannot enter it .. its a public place. Can't stand ass holes who decide to adjudicate for themselves.

Man for a Youtube employee he doesn't have the best judgement does he. What an utter moron leaning on his privilege. Grinds my gears seeing this stuff, and its so common all over the world too.

Tap In

Oct 28, 2017
Gilbert AZ
That's the point of what people are saying though.

Based off what we see in the video and how he's treating the guy waiting. We know, that off the bat, he's just assuming the worst out of the individual based off appearance more so than following any guidelines or laws. The way he just snuggly says, "appears to be African American" is a huge tell imo. This is what is flying over people's heads, we don't know the guidelines or procedures for security policy in that building and don't have all the San Fran laws on hand. What we do have is this video and some backstory around it. There are ways to explain things, handle them, and pass it along while going your own way. He didn't do that, at all, and tried to get the police involved over nothing. A civilian can't just come at you asking you for identification.

I do Uber Eats part-time all throughout Chicago and have yet to encounter this. There's usually a doorman depending on the hours but they all seem pretty nice and when I do overnight I've waited for customers who wanted to come down instead to come down. All while other people walked passed me with no hassle. It's doable.
Im not defending the phone guy at all and was appalled at him ignoring his son being right but its likely that the description he gave was due to 911 asking him for it so they could pass along if a cop had been dispatched.

He followed that up with the age and attire as if he were being prompted. But calling the cops rather than just explaining the policy and his reasoning to the lobby guy was unacceptable

JMeth

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Illinois
I have hope for the kid, that age and knowing what's right, despite the father being a racist bastard

Ten bucks says the father probably preaches tolerance and don't be a racist at home to his kids, but when push comes to shove and actually confronted with a POC his true colors were finally revealed. I know lots of people like this.

Jun 10, 2018
I literally could not be more clear about the facts.

I can't help you if you continue living life without realizing how the world works.
You are very much like the guy in the video trying to exert your authority over a black individual. Only in this situation you're trying to control his voice and sweep under the rug his validations of the racism on display.

Mind confessing why you feel the compulsion to do this?

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Im not defending the phone guy at all and was appalled at him ignoring his son being right but its likely that the description he gave was due to 911 asking him for it so they could pass along if a cop had been dispatched.

He followed that up with the age and attire as if he were being prompted. But calling the cops rather than just explaining the policy and his reasoning to the lobby guy was unacceptable

I don't think that's in question.

In fact it's the nature of his response as a kind of "and there it is..."

"What's the suspect's description?"

"Fits."

JMeth

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Illinois
Seriously, what the fuck? Or is this an American thing? I think i've never called the cops in my life.

Poor kid.

Most Americans haven't either, it takes a special kind of mindset to just randomly decide to call the cops on a dude waiting for someone. Most people would walk right on by minding their own business.

Dank Lotion

Oct 27, 2017
I'm gonna assume this is a situation where the mom is putting in overtime. My dad is a complete POS and I often wonder how I would've turned out had I not had my mom in my life being the exact opposite.

Chiaroscuro

Oct 25, 2017
If he was actually trespassing, how the fuck did he enter the building then? If there are no locks on the front, who gave him the fucking jurisdiction to decide who can/cannot enter it .. its a public place. Can't stand ass holes who decide to adjudicate for themselves.

Man for a Youtube employee he doesn't have the best judgement does he. What an utter moron leaning on his privilege. Grinds my gears seeing this stuff, and its so common all over the world too.

I understood that it was a private building (apartments), there was a lock in the door and he was just tailgating while the man with the kid were leaving. He had a reason to be there (friend) but it is still transpassing if his friend did not open the door for him (we learned later that he wasn't even home yet).

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Poor kid. He knows his dad is a fuckwad. I feel bad for the kid. More sense than his dad.

Andrew-Ryan

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
What's with white people and calling the cops for every little thing? It's a serious disconnect for me.
It's born out of an inability to deal with situations/confrontations on a one-to-one level. Another example with be some Americans and their need to pull out guns in the most innocuous of situations. Some peoples/societies have been programmed to be so scared from one another that the only way they know how to deal with situations is to either threaten the use of deadly force or call on people that have the ability to threaten the use of deadly force.

BobbeMalle

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Is there something missing here? Maybe he can't be in the lobby because of building regulations i don't know
Racism is a fucking plague

Deleted member 9479

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I am really confused by this video. Was the guy in the lobby or not? Looks like they are outside? In every building I've ever had a key card too there's been a hardline no tailgating policy but even if the guy tried to do that it doesn't look like he actually got in? And Dude still calling the cops? Do I have this right?

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is there something missing here? Maybe he can't be in the lobby because of building regulations i don't know
Racism is a fucking plague

There's nothing missing. It's a paranoid white guy deciding that a black guy is more suspicious than a white guy.

Despite the fact that the black guy's claim - "I'm waiting for my friend to come down" is proven ON VIDEO in the same video everyone watched, we are still asked to imagine either a wholly imaginary scenario where the black guy "tailgated" in behind our heroic Patagonad, or to take his word for it, despite every other claim made by the black guy being demonstrably true. We are supposed to think that this one particular detail is likely and therefore that changes the entire nature of the encounter and that racism, once again, didn't play any part.

Outrage Lobby Culture jusy looking for a way to be offended!

That poor little kid. Crying his eyes out. Because he had a better grasp of context than his grown ass dad. And the black guy gave him several chances to just stop before he ends up on Youtube cancelation montages.

I don't want the guy to lose his job simply because I feel sorry for his kid. His dad losing his job may well be what's coming to him - and what he deserves, but that kid will suffer for it. Not sure what Youtube's employer responsibility is here, since it's not as clear cut as some naked racism (n-word, threats, violence etc) but employers can often fire for no cause just to lose the headache.

Maybe there's actually some chance of a lesson here. Youtube finally actually does something about the hypocritical way it treats content from hate groups. I watched the long video where the Youtuber posits (absent of evidence) that this dad might work on the bad algorithm and action department at Youtube. Maybe he does, maybe he doesn't but there's a chance this puts a spotlight on that problem and maybe there's a fleeting chance some good comes of it.

BTW we have a company policy of making sure that every single person who enters behind us uses their keycard. If it works, it makes a friendly beep and turns green. I get it. Makes sense. But it sure does lead to some awkward moments as lots of people enter a building. I've had especially zealous employees demand I show id despite my card plainly working as intended. We also work in a building with different security than most of the corporation and occasionally you'll get entitled executives yelling at reception because their passcard isn't authorized for the building and they were trying to take their kids on a tour or use the pooper.

Fulminator

Oct 25, 2017
damn bruh, you really not gonna listen to your crying kid.

guess you gotta be a racist at all costs, huh?

Black Americans should call the cops on white people for doing nothing at all in protest.

If people did actually do that I guarantee the reaction would be far in excess of anyone commenting on this specific case.
unfortunately i feel like this could backfire in a lot of scenarios

dreams

Oct 25, 2017
I really don't get why we are still arguing about the tailgating thing, when the dude reacted like oh sure yeah that's why you're concerned (he says something like "oh, I was tailgating huh?"). You really have never seen a video like this where the white person is making exaggerations to the cops in order to try to justify themselves calling in? Really? Just gonna take his word for it for no reason.

I mean, I know why that's what we're focusing on (people refuse to acknowledge racism), but come the fuck on.

Deleted member 44129

Banned
May 29, 2018
Something that nobody seems to mention is that if an individual were to enter a property to steal, then an apartment building with a security door is a really bad idea for a budding thief. A thief wants a quick in and out with multiple exits, not a building with one main exit, narrow corridors in which they could be pinned down by one or more tennant, and probably cameras everywhere. It's so unlikely a potential criminal would get themselves into that situation.

Implying that the "tailgating" guy is going into the building to commit a crime is paranoid and racist. Nothing more. Also, listen to your fucking kid. He's even smart enough to know that you're fucking up.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Mad mad respect to the brothers in these videos with this much composure. It would be so easy (and understandable) to be far more upset at such allegations from minding your own damn business. I'd hold my composure as well, but I know many friends and family who wouldn't react kindly to this kind of treatment.

I hope this man never gets in a position of any remote power ever again. Fuck that noise.

EDIT
We have people in this very thread, a place you'd think would call out this bullshit, defending this. I just can't anymore. This world is fucked.
GpcXzXE.gif

julian

Oct 27, 2017
I am really confused by this video. Was the guy in the lobby or not? Looks like they are outside? In every building I've ever had a key card too there's been a hardline no tailgating policy but even if the guy tried to do that it doesn't look like he actually got in? And Dude still calling the cops? Do I have this right?

I'm with you. I have no idea. The video is not in a lobby nor does it show tailgating. I can come up with theories how any of their stories add up, but that's all they are.

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Black people calling the cops for no reason would put their lives in danger real quick.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
I have to wonder at this point... does this happen in other countries?

We never seem to hear about this happening in Canada or western Europe. Surely it does?

ckareset

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Lol, I remember in college there was this white girl who absolutely refused to believe I lived in the dorm lol.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
You dont confront assailants you clear the area of ppl you think are threats. Anyone tresspassing could be a threat to him . Is this wrong in general yes. Does racism happen like this yes . Is this a case of it maybe and probably is. It is so for sure like other cases weve talked about on era ? No. And "black man not bowing to his commands" ... is pushing the rethoric too much.
Look at how you are talking, "assailants" and "clear the area of threats", you have already condemned this man and dehumanized him. Dude is a IT guy not a special ops mercenary.

Kleefeld

Banned
Jan 16, 2018
I'm giving the guy the benefit of the doubt considering his father was killed by a trespasser. It's too easy to completely judge and destroy people these day.

ckareset

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Will you guys fuck off for one topic? What kind of theif waits for everyone to see him in broad daylight. Stop making excuses for everything

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I'm giving the guy the benefit of the doubt considering his father was killed by a trespasser. It's too easy to completely judge and destroy people these day.
Then why did he stay on the phone when the person the guy said he was waiting for showed up?

Contraband

Nov 15, 2017
Hannah, Montana
Disagree strongly. If you're tailgaiting into my apartment block (and I know you don't live there). I would want to know who you are as I live there.

Edit: take back what I originally said. Understand why the dude was apprehensive about someone tailgating into the building.

On the victims side, can understand being upset about being profiled. Would Chris had called the cops on a white guy?

I live in a 55-story high rise and have guests coming in and out often. Other tenants & the doorman will gladly let them in without an inquisition. I've let plenty of people in without an issue.

Buzzing guests in is protocol but it's usually super inconvenient. At this rate; the front desk only calls me to have couriers sent up (Postmates, Uber Eats, etc.).

Glad I don't live in a building with a bunch of losers who spent their entire life being insignificant and overlooked due to their inadequacies. So they crown themselves Neighborhood Watch and go out of their way to profile guests & tenants. Glad this prick ruined his own life. Feel bad for his son; seems like the mom is doing a good job raising him.

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
"I don't give a fuck, I don't have to tell you shit"

I'm sorry you had to hear that, kid, but your dad was out of line.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
"Only the US is racist"

Thanks for answering my question with a useful, well-written post.

You know what, before this gets into some bullshit: My post wasn't some kind of stealth superiority jab. I legitimately want to know from someone who lives in a non-US country if there are cases of white people weaponizing the police against minorities for the most mundane things. I know there has to be. Maybe they just don't get posted here?

Deleted member 82

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have to wonder at this point... does this happen in other countries?

We never seem to hear about this happening in Canada or western Europe. Surely it does?

Can't speak definitively for my fellow Europeans, or for France as a whole, but it doesn't seem nearly as pronounced here in France, at least when it comes to Black people.

But racism is there still, albeit with different targets. We love saying Arabs are scum, and reprimanding/banning Muslim women from wearing hijabs for fear that we're going to become a women-hating Islamist country in a matter of years or something.

The US's brand of racism is so much more... systemic and on the nose, I guess? Like, many people outside of the US know that the US has a huge racism problem, especially against Black people, and that your cops are horrible. Mind you, ours are far from perfect, but the US is just on a whole other level as far as I can tell.

cyress8

Avenger
I doubt he had thoughts about his father's death on his mind because his first action would have been to secure his son's safety and called the cops away from the "threat".

Would your first thought about a love one dying would be to attempt something to get you killed?