• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

RobFox64tm

Oct 30, 2017
Wouldn't it be more respectful to the families of the victims to halt the sale of guns and ammunition though? I mean, that's a more direct connection to the situation. It seems like the story has some holes in it anyway, but when I read the original statement, I just couldn't grasp Wal-Mart's reasoning at all.

Oct 27, 2017
Can first world countries be officially graded down to 3rd world countries again? Because thats whats happening right now in the US...

Pabz

Oct 25, 2017
Who could of guessed the death of physical media would be because of white supremacist terrorists.

Etain

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, I could see they had a more general "remove displays and de-emphasize violent games" thing, but this one store took it as "if it's not an E rated sports game pull it down", like not even sparing Nintendo and just going whole hog.

Franco_Tech

Oct 30, 2017
Trump is our president

And I would like to clarify if these are walmarts that already don't sell guns (I know none around here do) or if someone has been in a walmart and can take a picture of empty game case full gun case.
Presidents can be assholes too. He is the president but He is on the power because of the people and the people pay him the bills. He is the president but the real bosses are the people if they unite.

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
I don't think it was fake news. I had coworkers telling me games were pulled from our local Walmart to temporarily. I just think Walmart did a 180 when they realized what they had done.

Kotaku put an article indicating they got the same info as IGN: https://kotaku.com/no-walmart-isnt-telling-its-stores-to-remove-violent-v-1837113528

after a photo Tweeted by a gamer and voice actor named Erik Louden showed near-empty games shelves at Walmart, speculation arose that the retailer was also removing violent games from sale. The website IGN reported as much, citing a statement from Walmart:

"We've taken this action out of respect for the incidents of the past week, and it does not reflect a long-term change in our video game assortment. We are focused on assisting our associates and their families, as well as supporting the community, as we continue a thoughtful and thorough review of our policies."

That statement was also sent to Kotaku when we sought confirmation for IGN's report
. It had also been provided to reporters asking about Walmarts' memo regarding games signage and appears to actually only have been intended to address that. Shortly after we received that statement, however, another Walmart rep told Kotaku: "We have not given direction to date to remove titles." IGN has since updated its story with a correction.

I think they just didn't have enough time to put an article before the new statement came.

ScoobsJoestar

May 30, 2019
Can first world countries be officially graded down to 3rd world countries again? Because thats whats happening right now in the US...

As someone who has lived in a third world country before, when people say this it makes me go "Huh. People legit don't know how hard living is in those countries, do they?"

Like no offense, I get what you mean, but I promise that the US is not a third world country lol

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017

The thing about the 1st/2nd/3rd world dichotomy is that it's from the Cold War. It's not a measure of quality or anything. It's just a standing of where each country was during the war.

Raiden

Nov 6, 2017
Lmao i have to say as an European outsider Walmart feels like the embodiment of what is wrong with America. Cant buy Pokemon but sure take an assault rifle with 400 bullets! Cuz freedom and rights and some amendment!

God knows we have major issues as well but im having trouble comprehending this Walmart stuff

Oct 25, 2017
I work in the electronics department of my store, I can say for sure that we haven't stopped selling any games.

As for the advertising, there are banners missing, but idk if that's related to the incident or not, because even Bloodstained banners are gone. Closest thing we had to an explicit display piece was a Mortal Kombat standee in the games aisle, but that was taken down like 2 or 3 weeks ago.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
Uhh, there was no memo or email or message or even rumors or mumblings about taking video games out of our store. I just sold a customer a copy of GTA 5 a few hours ago.

This is the first time I'm hearing about it. The photo in the tweet is clearly confined to a local Walmart who overreacted. They gave everybody the same statement, without paying enough attention to the fact that IGN's question contained more specific inquiries.

Bastables

Dec 3, 2017
I'm fascinated at the contrast with the Nz Christchurch shootings, where our head of state goes full bore being inclusive of the victim minority and then bans assault rifles. USA has a leadership that has fully leaned into racist bullshit and starts complaining about video games.

The utter irrationality of the us political landscape is terrifying.

GaimeGuy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In my experience most walmarts put the sporting and hunting section right next to the toy aisle, too

Deleted member 1726

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My God, this is some fucking dumb shit, even if they walked it back they were intent on doing this.

America is such a mess.

Team_Feisar

Jan 16, 2018
Yo America what the fuck...

giphy.webp

Oct 27, 2017
As someone who has lived in a third world country before, when people say this it makes me go "Huh. People legit don't know how hard living is in those countries, do they?"

Like no offense, I get what you mean, but I promise that the US is not a third world country lol

I know third world countries have some more severe problems. But having to fear for your life, either because anyone could have a gun or you could be deported anytime or you could get some injury that you can't afford to get treated comes pretty close to this I'd say. Plus the whole thing where the corrupt government enables and faciliates those problems.

hydro94530

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Bay Area
I know third world countries have some more severe problems. But having to fear for your life, either because anyone could have a gun or you could be deported anytime or you could get some injury that you can't afford to get treated comes pretty close to this I'd say. Plus the whole thing where the corrupt government enables and faciliates those problems.

I live in the US, and it's still a NOPE!! You need to stop.

Deleted member 14649

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It blows my mind that people use Walmart for their shopping anyway. It's literally the only shop Ive been to, in the world, where they treat you like a criminal from the minute you walk in i.e. not being allowed to carry a rucksack round while shopping and having to show your receipt before leaving the store. It's an utter shithole of a company.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
Lol@corporations lying like ten year olds. Stand by your shit or apologize, but its nuts to have a multinational corp behaving like a kid that got caught doing something their parents are mad at

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
Dude, come on. I agree with ScoobsJoestar . You don't know what you're talking about, just take the L on this one and back down from that premise. I came from a third world country and lived through a civil war that saw roving death squads sanctioned by a military junta backed by the US that committed actual war crimes against their own people and had no free or fair elections.

Oct 27, 2017
Dude, come on. I agree with ScoobsJoestar . You don't know what you're talking about, just take the L on this one and back down from that premise. I came from a third world country and lived through a civil war that saw roving death squads sanctioned by a military junta backed by the US that committed actual war crimes against their own people and had no free or fair elections.

Of course the USA is not yet in the dire situation you described and will hopefully never be, but it's already halfway into it's own little version of dystopia. And this Walmart story is just one little symptom of many.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It blows my mind that people use Walmart for their shopping anyway. It's literally the only shop Ive been to, in the world, where they treat you like a criminal from the minute you walk in i.e. not being allowed to carry a rucksack round while shopping and having to show your receipt before leaving the store. It's an utter shithole of a company.
It fits the budget for a lot of people

MickeyKnox

Oct 28, 2017
Of course the USA is not yet in the dire situation you described and will hopefully never be, but it's already halfway into it's own little version of dystopia. And this Walmart story is just one little symptom of many.
As another person who grew up during a civil war in a third world country and emigrated to the US, you need to check your shit.

Oct 27, 2017
As another person who grew up during a civil war in a third world country and emigrated to the US, you need to check your shit.

Okay, fine. The 3rd world comparision was a hyperbole on my part.

But at the very least we can agree that there is a lot of stuff happening in the US that shouldn't happen in a developed country at all?