• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dagobert Duck

Oct 28, 2017
"Lets make a game like Crash Team Racing, but with only Sonic characters! That was a blast back then!"
"We got a racing game with Sonic and other Sega characters"
"I said just SONIC characters!"
"Well ok, now a snappy name"
"mmmmmm how about Sonic Team Racing!"
"seems like ripping off Crash Team Racing"
"TEAM SONIC RACING!"
"well ok, you are the boss"

ChaosBladeEX

Nov 6, 2017
Only 15 characters is a bummer, especially since stuff like Egg Pawn is included in there. Sonic Riders from forever ago had 16 characters (With a few Egg Pawn tier jobbers) and Racing Transformed had way more. Chances of getting any oddball picks for the roster is extremely low.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
Only 15 characters is a bummer, especially since stuff like Egg Pawn is included in there. Sonic Riders from forever ago had 16 characters (With a few Egg Pawn tier jobbers) and Racing Transformed had way more. Chances of getting any oddball picks for the roster is extremely low.

This is just a thought, but 15 characters could be either the whole number of the cast or only those who are initially available. The SEGA All-Star Racing games had unlockable racers, and I could see that number representing the initial characters (Transformed not including the platform exclusive racers like all the PC additions, Miis on Wii, etc., or DLC, had 23 characters total, but 13 of them were unlockable).

I could see a scenario of it maybe gunning for 21-24 characters but only 15 are available from the start. Or maybe 15 is the entire number, we'll have to see I guess. Just noting since the features list doesn't make any sorta' clarification.

Fishsnot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Japan
Day 1.... cant wait. Cars looks god awful but could just be promotional shots.
As to those say Transformed is better then MK8....

LyDXG.gif

Items are better balanced, drifting feels better, more substantial single player.

Gameplay, music, art style, and graphics for me are much better.

giphy.gif

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Why this is yet another Transformed vs MK thread instead of everyone singing Can you feel the sunshine?

Baleoce

Oct 27, 2017
First impressions aren't great. And I'm convinced that has to be placeholder box art lol. This game needs the whole SEGA franchise to keep me interested. Sonic universe isn't enough for me. For Mario Kart it works because it's actually a well drawn out franchise. I hope they haven't ditched transforming vehicles either because that'd be a huge step back in core gameplay. It's what differentiates it from other kart racers. Also, I'm aware at the same time that it's kind of unfair to have initial impressions like this when it's leaked and hasn't really had a chance to sell it to me yet. So I hope the trailer does the game some justice. Leaks like this are kinda shitty though. This was one of the big things from E3 I was looking forward to.

stan423321

Oct 25, 2017
"Lets make a game like Crash Team Racing, but with only Sonic characters! That was a blast back then!"
"We got a racing game with Sonic and other Sega characters"
"I said just SONIC characters!"
"Well ok, now a snappy name"
"mmmmmm how about Sonic Team Racing!"
"seems like ripping off Crash Team Racing"
"TEAM SONIC RACING!"
"well ok, you are the boss"
Sonic Team Racing sounds like you can abuse Iizuka in it though. Iizuka and... erm... errrrrm...

rochellepaws

Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
Racing Transformed was the best karting game in years so I'm really looking forward to this. I think less is more when it comes to character selection, particularly if they can manage to give each one a unique style as opposed to just being avatars.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
I went my way in racing transformed to unlock everything apart from shadow.
And they took out the part that i actually liked from transformed (the sega ips) and keep the trash.
This one is staying in the store shelve, thats for sure.

Also transformed, apart from some modes i hope one day mario kart also has, was never as good as mario kart 8. Great, but not as good.

Xiofire

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
My friends and I were huge fans of All-Star Racing Transformed, so I'll definitely be copping this at some point. Hope it's of a similar quality.

Now we just need Mania 2, Sega. You can do it.

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
Can run at the speed of sound, but drives a car instead. Sure.

I'd love a sequel to Sonic R one day. I guess Heroes was as close as we'll get.

220px-Sonic_R.jpg

CJCW?

Oct 27, 2017
Kinda sucks that it's only Sonic characters this time. I want more weird stuff like Ryo on a forklift. I suppose it'll be fine as long as the driving is as good as it was before.

Mr Swine

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
Well if it's a car race then he'd be cheating by running :) Also just because he's fast doesn't mean he can't enjoy driving for pleasure.

Sonic owned the freaking Tornado before he gave it to Tails. Why would he need a plane when he can run everywhere?

yeah I don't get it why people get hung up with him driving a car

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I'm excited, the box-art makes them look dead though

The Adventure Mode is very intriguing and I'm curious what the customization will be like, hope there are lots of little references strewn about. The seemingly budget price also makes me ok with the lack of Sega representation, though I still hope they add a few things as DLC. Would be missing out not getting Ryo in time for the Shenmue HD release.

Really, the most important question I have.... Is Big one of those 15 characters? I'm not even being ironic, it sucked how he was taken out of Transformed. Let my big dumb cat drive. Classic Sonic would be nice too.

(Also while Transformed is technically worse on a few levels compared to Mario Kart, I have a lot more fun playing it. Mario Kart feels like a boring cheese pizza compared to the more divisive but interesting hawaiian pizza that is Sonic Racing)

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
So, just when Sonic All Star Racing Transformed was a great game, instead of adding more franchises and content, SEGA thought it was a good idea... to remove the SEGA part.

That company is amazing. Let's shower the world with Shitty friends.

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
That box art is bad.

Interesting gimmick though.

15 characters huh? My guess is

Sonic, Shadow, Metal Sonic, Blaze, Espio
Tails, Rouge, Silver, Cream, Charmy
Knuckles, Omega, Eggman, Amy, Vector

No Chaotix please, especially if they are having freakin Charmy take up a character slot!

Hoping we get some less predictable choices, like Sticks or maybe something surprising like Nack the Weasel. If Sumo is making it I am certain Big the Cat is in, too.

This is just a thought, but 15 characters could be either the whole number of the cast or only those who are initially available. The SEGA All-Star Racing games had unlockable racers, and I could see that number representing the initial characters (Transformed not including the platform exclusive racers like all the PC additions, Miis on Wii, etc., or DLC, had 23 characters total, but 13 of them were unlockable).

I could see a scenario of it maybe gunning for 21-24 characters but only 15 are available from the start. Or maybe 15 is the entire number, we'll have to see I guess. Just noting since the features list doesn't make any sorta' clarification.

Do not bet on it. All past Sumo Digital SEGA crossover games (assuming it is by them) directly said the amount of characters that were in way before launch. However, if it is by Sumo I fully expect it to have future DLC considering it is always something they pushed for. Even then I would not expect any more than like... three extra.

So, just when Sonic All Star Racing Transformed was a great game, instead of adding more franchises and content, SEGA thought it was a good idea... to remove the SEGA part.

They made it pretty clear from the start that this is not meant to be a sequel to Transformed. I am just as frustrated as you, but I am sure they have mechanical and aesthetic reasons for sticking to one IP this time. I just hope we as fans can make it extremely clear to SEGA that we wanted more of their IPs repped in something like this, not less.

Jazzem

Feb 2, 2018
Probably there day one unless impressions are poor, but fuck I'm gonna miss the non-Sonic Sega characters + tracks so much :(

Hope they get Richard Jacques back on the OST at least

Kane

Oct 28, 2017
Those sure look like Switch-level graphics, wonder if it's going to be an exclusive?

BeeKaine

Banned
Apr 21, 2018

1) Sonic by himself sells more than most of SEGA IPs combined. Somehow, I don't think they'll suffer for this.

2) It's been progressively less "SEGA" since the first racing game. From "SEGA Superstars" to "SEGA Superstars ft. Sonic" to "Sonic and His SEGA Friends" and now they just dropped the pretense.

3) Yeah, who cares about a good game? I just wanted to play as Vyse because I wouldn't buy Skies of Arcadia anyway.

4) Surprised it took this long for someone to post the "hurr Shitty Friends!" meme.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
No Chaotix please, especially if they are having freakin Charmy take up a character slot!

Hoping we get some less predictable choices, like Sticks or maybe something surprising like Nack the Weasel. If Sumo is making it I am certain Big the Cat is in, too.

Chaotix feel kinda inevitable considering they were major characters in Sonic Forces.

That having been said, I noticed the Egg Pawn in one of the screenshots and that just throws a huge monkey wrench into my predictions. 15 characters seems kinda paltry looking back at it now if we're going to have inclusions like that unfortunately.