• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I pretty much never buy games from Walmart anymore but this is really fucking stupid.

I hope this shit passes soon.

In the meantime.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I think now I've lived through a few games making the news for "inciting violent reactions out of kids".

MK. GTA. Manhunt. Now MK again. Lmao.

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
These cabinets are shitty landfill fodder that shouldn't exist but this is still fucking bullshit when you sell guns and ammo.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Reminder that no one actually thinks games cause violence. Everyone is simply playing along with using games as the scapegoat so that we can avoid looking squarely at guns.

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
Apparently the manager said, he was not able to sell it to me because Walmart has begun removing this particular cabinet due to its violent nature, but it's ok to buy SF and FF??

What Richard doesn't get, is that MK is a "M" rated franchise & that it contains blood & gore, unlike SF & FF. That's why those machines haven't been pulled while the MK machine had.

But yeah, Walmart is shit.

Last edited:

DaveB

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
One story from Facebook from one Walmart, huh. Maybe we should wait until we get more information or more cases like this one.
I saw the retraction about violent games being pulled from shelves within hours of someone posting a photo of barren, censored video game display cases. I don't know who to believe.

Are individual stores going rogue and pulling stock at their own discretion? I wonder how corporate would feel about that.

Chucker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
V5TjYlC.jpg

VileZero

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Maryland/DC
Care to explain? I pre-ordered the Marvel and TMNT ones. I don't expect the level of quality of the real deal but still..

How did you pre-order the TMNT one? It isn't available for pre-order on Arcade1Up's site yet.

I'm wondering if there is a re-design incoming and that's why they pulled them? I think that's more likely than Wal-Mart just pulling the game because of violence or whatever. Them pulling this but not anything else seems odd.

Proc

Oct 25, 2017
It's odd that it starts and ends with this product. I'm sure we'll see more to come.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Good on Walmart. That almost-buyer would have become a definite-shooter from playing that video game. But now, he can instead put that money towards a nonlethal recreational product, like a gun!

OP
OP
Dashful

Dashful

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
How did you pre-order the TMNT one? It isn't available for pre-order on Arcade1Up's site yet.

I'm wondering if there is a re-design incoming and that's why they pulled them? I think that's more likely than Wal-Mart just pulling the game because of violence or whatever. Them pulling this but not anything else seems odd.
I pre-ordered it at my local EB Games (in Canada).

A redesign for MK would be weird, it's relatively new, and they just started being able to keep up with stocks from what people in the FB group said.

It's also finally available in Canada.

Kayotix

Oct 25, 2017
omfg, after growing up with the outrage from the 90s and i was 12, i get to relive it again now that im almost 40!!

and they sell MK11 which is a million times more violent then what on the cabinet LOL

I guess everything really is making a comeback.

Oct 27, 2017
Joke's on Walmart -- without Mortal Kombat in their stores no one will ever become violent enough want to buy one of their guns.

erlim

Oct 26, 2017
London
They didn't stop anybody from becoming shooters, they stopped countless people from becoming Kung fu masters though. Shame on Walmart.

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019

Like I said earlier, Mortal Kombat is a very violent franchise that has blood, gore & fatalities involved. Others like Street Fighter & Final Fight are nowhere near that same level.

Spacejaws

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
Is it ironic that MK, an USA IP is the one to stop being sold but Japanese SF is fine?
All the while patroits will wave their flags glady at the news with a tear in eye happy they are creating a safer America.

Ghostavus

Nov 16, 2017
You guys need to be real about this. I know we love games here, but they have costs on society. If they sell these our kids might end up turning into dragons and biting people in half.

Also, the only way to stop an undead ninja from melting people with their fire-breathing skull is a good guy with a fire-breathing skull.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Is it ironic that MK, an USA IP is the one to stop being sold but Japanese SF is fine?
All the while patroits will wave their flags glady at the news with a tear in eye happy they are creating a safer America.
Funny that MK has some of the most PATRIOTIC characters.
dims

maxresdefault.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

SPECIAL FORCES is keeping 'Merica safe from those Outworld invaders, you ungrateful hicks!

JimD

Aug 17, 2018
Is this thread really just based off one guys Facebook post and taken as fact?

Walmart.com lists it as unavailable for sale. Not out of stock, completely unavailable. Normally you would get to a landing page that would give you other options if they were sold out (other sellers, in-store pickup) but not now.

The explanation that it's due to pulling violent video games is definitely unconfirmed. I just checked and the PS4 version of MK11 is available for pickup at multiple Walmarts near me. Why would they pull the cabinet but not the more violent current game?

It's like some exec at Walmart literally only remembered the controversy from the 90s and based the decision on that.

EDIT: Ok, false alarm. It seems to be back up on Walmart.com

Last edited:

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
Jack Thompson just came in his pants.

EDIT: Beaten :(

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Back into the Jack Thompson era full speed!

Edit: lol glad to see I wasn't the only reaction like that, hello fellow men in their 30's! :D

OP
OP
Dashful

Dashful

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
In an interesting turn of events, the Arcade1Up machine is now showing up online as available in Wal-Mart's stores again.

Interesting. It definitely wasn't available earlier and different stores had pulled sales of it too. Maybe because it was flagged as promotional material or display or something and they realized that was dumb.

I know EB considers it a collectible and not an actual game as you can apply the collectible discount on your edge card.

I can't seem to be able to thread mark from my phone. I'll see to do that once I'm back on my pc.

Status
Not open for further replies.