• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

jariw

Oct 27, 2017
Hey I've been playing this and am about to beat Act 4, but I'm stuck on one segment:
How to I get that piece of the Earthsong where the crown is shaking on the bottom and there is a musical line that I'm suppose to follow? The crown does 2 beats and I tried moving the right stick over to every direction when it shakes to the rhythm, but nothing happens. What am I suppose to do on this portion of the game?

I got passed that section now. Here's the answer: you should do something else than singing here.

Fully spoiled:
Stand below the line of beats and jump to the beats. Complete all chains of beats.

AppleKid

Feb 21, 2018
Hey I've been playing this and am about to beat Act 4, but I'm stuck on one segment:
How to I get that piece of the Earthsong where the crown is shaking on the bottom and there is a musical line that I'm suppose to follow? The crown does 2 beats and I tried moving the right stick over to every direction when it shakes to the rhythm, but nothing happens. What am I suppose to do on this portion of the game?
So for this one you actually need to flick the left stick (I think up?) in time with beats rather than singing. Took me a bit to realize as well since I think it is the only time the game replaces singing with that lol

jariw

Oct 27, 2017
So for this one you actually need to flick the left stick (I think up?) in time with beats rather than singing. Took me a bit to realize as well since I think it is the only time the game replaces singing with that lol

You can use the B button to jump as well, for that sequence.

May 5, 2018
I got passed that section now. Here's the answer: you should do something else than singing here.

Fully spoiled:
Stand below the line of beats and jump to the beats. Complete all chains of beats.

Thanks y'all. Finally got past that part. Onto Act 5 now which I've been told is the longest act yet. Got through the very beginning which I really enjoyed. Really like how this game finds different ways to incorporate the singing mechanic to help get through rhythm or puzzle sections.

ForteanMan

Oct 25, 2017
Dongguan, China
Finished the game today. What a ride that was! I thoroughly enjoyed the game it was just so wholesome and feel-good throughout it. The Bard might be one of my favorite characters in a long time, certainly for the year. I can't imagine that I will ever stop trying to evangelize this game to people, it just came out of nowhere for me but has definitely made an impact on me.

poncle

Oct 28, 2017
London
Question about the ending:
What happens to Audrey? She's just not mentioned anymore after she strikes the final blow. The only way to have the Earthsong to work is to have literally everyone in the world to sing in sync... and she didn't look like she would ever sing it.

jariw

Oct 27, 2017
I got stuck in a room in Act 5. It's the magical kingdom part. Got to the room (by accident) where Mask teaches a new move. Left side is blocked. Can't get out. How do I solve this? (I have 2 magic abilities for traversal.)

May 5, 2018
I got stuck in a room in Act 5. It's the magical kingdom part. Got to the room (by accident) where Mask teaches a new move. Left side is blocked. Can't get out. How do I solve this? (I have 2 magic abilities for traversal.)
Try moving your right stick right, then down then left. This is actually the last magic block combo spell you're suppose to learn. This spell lets you walk and fall through those blocks.

poncle

Oct 28, 2017
London

There is a list of known issues and workarounds on the official support page (contains some light game mechanics spoilers but if you're stuck you really don't have a choice) : https://gl326.github.io

newgamewhodis

Oct 28, 2017
Brooklyn
Stuck in act 4:
Can't figure out how to recruit the crying guy around town. I try to time it so that I pet the dog when he shows up, but it doesn't work, and I can't find anything else around the map to befriend the pupper.

AppleKid

Feb 21, 2018
What happens to Audrey? She's just not mentioned anymore after she strikes the final blow. The only way to have the Earthsong to work is to have literally everyone in the world to sing in sync... and she didn't look like she would ever sing it.
Not sure, but I kind of like how the game leaves it like that as I don't know if I would have been satisfied seeing her in any fashion. She was a character who consistently annoyed me throughout the entire game from her actions and attitude (as was her purpose), so it's kind of nice not seeing her in this rekindled world that she was trying so desperately to end for her own sense of purpose.

The only mention I saw of her in the end credits was a boy in Xiatian saying he hadn't seen her either, but assuming she was the one who saved them all ಠ_ಠ

I still have 2 dances to acquire and have not solved the riddle of the cat west of your house at the start of the game asking for a password. So maybe either of those gives an additional clue to post-game context?

AppleKid

Feb 21, 2018
Stuck in act 4:
Can't figure out how to recruit the crying guy around town. I try to time it so that I pet the dog when he shows up, but it doesn't work, and I can't find anything else around the map to befriend the pupper.
I think when that character tries to pet the dog, a thought bubble with a food bowl appears above its head. Anyway, it wants food. So you'll have to go get some from the one place in town that serves it ;)

maximelebled

Oct 27, 2017
Morbihan, France
I really loved this game.

It's not without flaws, some of which are quite annoying, but the writing is great, it's extremely cute, the music is amazing, and it's just... a beam of light in the darkness. It's beautiful, charming, overflowing with personality, just plain cute, and still finds the time to be full of interesting, meaningful things to say, both in its text and in its subtext, between the lines.

maximelebled

Oct 27, 2017
Morbihan, France

My theory is that
because everyone in the world was in harmony except her, when singing the Earthsong/Wandersong, she did not carry over to the "reborn" / "continued" world.
[/QUOTE]

jariw

Oct 27, 2017
Just finished the game now. A fantastic experience throughout, and a game where I really wanted to see how it ended! So many twists and turns that I didn't expect when I started the game!

BTW, at the end of act 6, I just discovered (by accident) that by kneeling the singing gets one octave lower. Went through almost the whole game without noticing that... :-)

May 5, 2018
Beat Wandersong last night. What an incredible adventure game with some super sound rhythm gameplay too! Honestly this game popped up on my radar because I noticed Matt Thorson of Celeste and Towerfall fame was gushing over Wandersong on Twitter. I also believe he and Greg Lobanov (the key game designer of this) are good friends so he's helping promote a game for a pal.

Boy I'm glad I gave this game a shot! Its definitely not a hard game by any means. However, the journey itself was so enjoyable ranging from constantly talking to different characters to solving the various puzzles using the singing mechanic. Not to mention the distance this game goes to use the singing mechanic in so many different ways is really cool!

The ways they utilize your singing voice to have the animals help you after you aid them in Act 6 was a real wow moment for me and a major highlight. Freeing your bird friends by singing in a direction against the net holding them down and then they lift you higher into the sky was great. Plus the bugs lifting up rocks for you reach higher platforms because you never stepped on them was awesome. I love the electric flying seals too! Sure they need to be fed a lot, but riding them to get higher on the mountain was a whole lot of fun.

Music was strong, it has a neat artstyle and the story of this game really surprised me with how well told it was and how charming the characters were in each chapter. There was also a nice cherry on the top moment postgame where it made me smile too!

There's a traveler you find in Chandeesh who's seeking to visit different towns around the world. I chose to tell him to visit Delphi and in the credits/post game segment where I was in Delphi, he was right there! That's pretty awesome that this game would go far to incorporate a little detail like that! Wonder if he would have been on the Coffee Pirates' boat if I told him to get to Tatanga. I didn't go back to Tatanga and it makes me wonder if the boat is the only place from that area you revisit.

Seriously, this game is a major surprise and is making an appearance on my best game list somewhere!

jariw

Oct 27, 2017
Beat Wandersong last night. What an incredible adventure game with some super sound rhythm gameplay too! Honestly this game popped up on my radar because I noticed Matt Thorson of Celeste and Towerfall fame was gushing over Wandersong on Twitter. I also believe he and Greg Lobanov (the key game designer of this) are good friends so he's helping promote a game for a pal.

I noticed that Matt was in one of the first credits list, for "Feedback & Testing" or something.

TubaZef

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
7 hours in and this is my favorite game from this year, easily.

The humor and the structure with the gameplay changing in every chapter reminds me a lot of the Paper Mario games. It's so cheering and wholesome, I can't play it without smiling most of the time. And it came in a good time too, been having a lot of bad days lately, this game has really helped me :)

Oct 25, 2017
Alright. No joke. I finished this game tonight and it's one of the most genuine feeling games I've played in a while. Presentation, message, dialogue. All of it resounded.

Niraj

Oct 25, 2017
I still have 2 dances to acquire and have not solved the riddle of the cat west of your house at the start of the game asking for a password. So maybe either of those gives an additional clue to post-game context?

If you still need to figure out the cat, when you get to your house at the end of the game, you can use a bird to jump up to an area to the left of your house. When you do that there's a constellation that will show up. I'm not sure if it's the same for every player, but the symbols correspond to different colors. Each symbol represents one of the Overseers. I don't remember each color offhand, but I know the heart is pink, water drop is the very bottom, sun is orange, star is yellow, triangle is red, and the swirly thing is purple. Basically you just have to input the corresponding notes to whatever your constellation was.

There's a traveler you find in Chandeesh who's seeking to visit different towns around the world. I chose to tell him to visit Delphi and in the credits/post game segment where I was in Delphi, he was right there! That's pretty awesome that this game would go far to incorporate a little detail like that! Wonder if he would have been on the Coffee Pirates' boat if I told him to get to Tatanga. I didn't go back to Tatanga and it makes me wonder if the boat is the only place from that area you revisit.

Guy was on the boat for me, yeah.

newgamewhodis

Oct 28, 2017
Brooklyn
This game rocks. I'm really hoping it pulls in more reviews or gets some sort of end of year attention, because it's up there with the best games of the year.

Emerald Hawk

Dec 12, 2017
New Jersey
He was under that list as well as a Special Thanks. Noel Berry also from Celeste was on Feedback and Special Thanks too.

Matt did more than just provide feedback and testing, there was also a character from Celeste in Wandersong. You might notice that:
Mr. Oshiro is the innkeeper at the hotel in Chaandesh where Audrey stays.

I absolutely loved this game, it was a nice change of pace from all the super hard platformers I played lately. Wandersong has a lot of dialogue but it moves fast and much of it is optional. Plus the dialogue is quite good with likeable, funny characters.

In comparison, I liked Night in the Woods but never finished it (Mae was kind of a fuck up and didn't seem to be growing as a person. Err.. cat-person).

May 5, 2018
Matt did more than just provide feedback and testing, there was also a character from Celeste in Wandersong. You might notice that:
Mr. Oshiro is the innkeeper at the hotel in Chaandesh where Audrey stays.

I absolutely loved this game, it was a nice change of pace from all the super hard platformers I played lately. Wandersong has a lot of dialogue but it moves fast and much of it is optional. Plus the dialogue is quite good with likeable, funny characters.

In comparison, I liked Night in the Woods but never finished it (Mae was kind of a fuck up and didn't seem to be growing as a person. Err.. cat-person).
Yeah, I saw Mr. Oshiro. I got really excited seeing him there since I'm become a major Celeste fan this year. His dialogue was perfect for that character, but he was a little more successful here in Wandersong since The Hero stayed at his resort. I was sort of hoping he'd be a boss in this, but he was here for a simple cameo.

Yeah, Wandersong is maybe the biggest surprise for me this year. Loved it myself and its looking good in cracking my top 5.

Last edited:

Pimienta

Oct 25, 2017
I finished the game last night. Easily one of the biggest suprises for me this year, it is charming, quirky and lots of heart. I highly recommend it.

petethepanda

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
chicago
Just got to the end of Act 3, and yeah, this fucking rules. It's exactly what I hoped it would be.

AnimeJesus

Oct 27, 2017
Just now hearing about this game...checking out some videos for switch and it looks a little janky (jittery animations, frame drops). Does it run ok on the Switch? I know it doesnt need to a constant 60fps game but it's nice when they are.

Oct 25, 2017
Just now hearing about this game...checking out some videos for switch and it looks a little janky (jittery animations, frame drops). Does it run ok on the Switch? I know it doesnt need to a constant 60fps game but it's nice when they are.
I've played through the game twice (2nd run had creator commentary enabled), it runs fine. I did encounter some of the issues you mentioned but they didn't detract anything.

Deleted member 5086

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just finished this game last night. One of the jolliest experiences I've had with a game. It ended up making my top 10 for 2018.

Nov 8, 2017
Sincerely loved my time playing Wandersong on the Switch from start to finish. The game has a very whimsical, fun, and 'jolly' feel to it (totally nailed it Mist). I was surprised at how in-depth a seemingly one-note (punny) music system felt at first, and how it was constantly reinvented as the chapters went on.

The Bard is one of my favorite video game characters EVER, and stands out amongst a cast of really interesting, personable characters. The writing was fantastic and felt on-par with Night in the Woods.

Kudos to the devs and to everyone involved in this project. It really, truly felt like a labor of love playing through it.

Also, while Celeste was the darling of people who loved indie soundtracks in 2018, Wandersong was criminally overlooked. From the music to the sound effects, Em Halberstadt and the team at A Shell in the Pit deserve lots of praise.

TubaZef

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Yep, the soundtrack is pretty good and fit the game very well. A Shell in The Pit deserves more attention, their work in Okhlos is so good and rarely mentioned when talking about game music.

ZugZug123

Oct 27, 2017
Finally got around to playing the game, so amazing and uplifting :) I go around jumping and randomly singing.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
...thank you for posting because I absolutely forgot that I was in the middle of this game and have not played in a while for no good reason.

Will be traveling with my Switch this week, though. So I might pick it back up then, and if not, will soon. I was really enjoying it so it'll be good to finish it, and hopefully I'll be able to remember what last happened...

Larrikin

Oct 25, 2017
Just beat this. Very charming and I really liked the dynamic between the Bard and Miriam. The Bard and anyone really, his intense optimism seemed to be responded to appropriately by most people and I loved the overall journey of the game.

It sits right in the middle of Journey and Night in the Woods for me (the latter of which I consider to be one of the worst games I've played, the former one of the best) so it's a solid 'Good' overall.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I gave this a chance now that I can play it on my iPad via Steamlink. I'm at chapter 2 and it is fantastic.

petethepanda

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
chicago
It looks like Wandersong is included with Game Pass for PC! Audibly gasped when it came up on the beta client's "Surprise Me" window, lol.

AppleKid

Feb 21, 2018
Same price as Labo huh? Count me *probably* in. Seems like an amazing package and this game easily slid into my top 10 last year

Tarot Deck

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
40% off on eshop

Very few comments across the internet, but most of them praising it highly.

I think this is the time to jump in. Hearing the OST right now and its pretty good so far

AppleKid

Feb 21, 2018
40% off on eshop

Very few comments across the internet, but most of them praising it highly.

I think this is the time to jump in. Hearing the OST right now and its pretty good so far
Definitely make the jump if you're interested. Game is incredible with a story that meaningfully subverts expectations and gameplay that has a surprising amount of variety based around platforming and the core singing mechanic. Always bums me out how little attention it's gotten