• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
I continue to forget that Jaffe at some point turned into a ranty Youtuber complete with a wall full of game/comic stuff right behind him.

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
ZqLBdJz.jpg

Velezcora

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 16, 2017
I've been saying the AAA market is unsustainable for a while but people won't listen because "wow red dead redemption 2 is so purty u guize"

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
Imagine making this video and thinking that the conclusion should be that we need to save AAA games.

Toad King

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
My favorite part is where he says he isn't anti-union but goes into a condescending nasally voice every time to mock the people saying the industry should unionize.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How did this guy go from creating Twisted Metal and God of War to being one of those streamers that rants in front of a wall of hideous cheap nerd-toys?

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
I hate to be that guy, but i don't really want to give it a click if that title is anything other than sarcastic and reflects the actual thesis (also at work). Any coles notes/summary, Stygr? Also might want to consider requesting a title edit to include "David Jaffe:..."

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
His point of why unions will never work in video games is because most devs are easily replaceable by outsourcing their work overseas (he says he's pro-union and anti-crunch in the video). I wonder if that's actually true, and whether you can get the same quality from overseas (especially when it comes to stuff like writing for big dev like Naughty Dog or CDPR who are known to crunch).

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Jaffe doesn't know what he's talking about, but that's nothing new. AAA games can be made perfectly fine without crunch, it's just that the companies that are able to make games at that scale are usually the ones most willing to throw employees into the endless death march.

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
Not sure we need to see business ethics arguments from David "we need to give Milo Yiannopoulos a platform" Jaffe.

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Nobody really needs AAA games. They pretty much exists to justify new consoles.

The times of meaningful technical progress in video games are long gone. PS1 -> PS2 was likely the last time where the leap felt really big.

Doesn't mean AA or indie stuff are saved from crunch tho, but their case are probably more a matter of management rather than enormous monuments that games like RDR2 are.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Oct 26, 2017
I hate to be that guy, but i don't really want to give it a click if that title is anything other than sarcastic and reflects the actual thesis (also at work). Any coles notes/summary, Stygr?

He is not pro cunch and unions but according to him, if you want to make AAA games, crunching is a necessity and you have to deal with.

Not sure we need to see business ethics arguments from David "we need to give Milo Yiannopoulos a platform" Jaffe.

Welp, didn't know about that, so i guess mod can kill the thread asap

Jan 15, 2018
AAA game development is in a weird place. The games take much longer to produce than they used to even with crunch and are really expensive. Costs would rise even more without crunch since they would take even longer to make.

Someone is going to have to come up with a better solution because the course they're on just isn't sustainable.

Oct 26, 2017
I'm also in the "if this is what it costs, then get rid of AAA games" crowd too.

It's also funny that some teams can craft some gorgeous games (albeit not massive ones) with tiny teams. Shin'en are probably among the finest at this. With games like Fast RMX and The Touryst on Switch, and prior games, they've made a name in creating some top hardware-pushing stuff, while only having like less than 10 people. Yeah not every company is Shin'en, but I think they're a symbol of what we need to see more of IMO.

Vilam

Oct 27, 2017
The video's title is hyperbolic, but he makes a lot of salient points. The majority of this industry has no interest in unionizing, and over indexing on the opinions of indie devs and game journalists isn't going to change that.

OP
OP
Oct 26, 2017
His point of why unions will never work in video games is because most devs are easily replaceable by outsourcing their work overseas (he says he's pro-union and anti-crunch in the video). I wonder if that's actually true, and whether you can get the same quality from overseas (especially when it comes to stuff like writing for big dev like Naughty Dog or CDPR who are known to crunch).

All AAA games and studios are already outsourcing a lot of game development elsewhere.

Deleted member 56752

Banned
May 15, 2019
yeah i'm good man. I think too many games come out anyway. so, screw crunch. embrace the worker. i'm alright if bobby Kotick loses some income

Deleted member 56752

Banned
May 15, 2019
I would imagine some of the more specialized work - animations, lighting, fx, etc. (and other things i'm not thinking about) - would be stuff that would be hard to find overseas. The world has many English writers starved for work

a916

Oct 25, 2017

ND heavily outsources a lot of stuff.

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Thread title should be "sacrifice your health for AAA development, because that's what it takes to win".

I can't believe he said that.