• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
I mean it's not entirely wrong. It's why I didn't pursue game dev after college and instead went into tech and will work on indie level stuff on the side. It's a revolving door industry that only favors a very choice few, and you'll be grinding at the wheel for years hoping to maybe get heard.

AAA pubs are pocketing millions of profits while making even more as monetization grows, while people are stuck having to live in a box in Cali to to be a part of that.

What's funny is he says it being outsourced "is just as good" while I've noticed a drop in visual effects in movies ever since the Life of Pi incident personally, but it won't matter. People care enough to talk about it but people will still go see the thing regardless of the ethics of it.

To hold businesses responsible would require sacrifice/hardships inflicted on ones' self that majority of people won't deal with. I mean look at Chick-fil-a. People couldn't even deal with that over a chicken sandwich lol.

LastNac

Oct 30, 2017
I have my issues with Jaffe's opinions, how he expresses them, and specifically his DICE talk years ago.

That said, he's right to a degree. It's an industry that you can easily be replaced in. I've worked in live action films, animation, and recently got my first gig in the game industry. I liked the studio and those I worked with enough, but there was zero guarantee that I was safe in my job. I was there about 3 months and just like a "snap" I was dropped. No warning, red flags, nothing. They cut the whole sound department fairly quickly and I was the last to go.

I was immensely replaceable and was aware of it right up till the end.

RogerL

Oct 30, 2017
I understand that it just seems (for me)little. For example fifa as had at least a campaign + 1-3 new/reworked mechanics + FUT support + new visual stuff (like stadiums/leagues/managers) every year for the last 4-5 years. It seems an extremely hard task to do every year without crunch even if you had like 2000 employees. Again i'm no engeneer but wouldn't the code be extremely hard to understand after doing this? wouldn't there be a crunch pressure since you already know the game is releasing this year? for example let's image they are doing something and frostbite tools don't allow it; can they afford to wait for tools, Is it necessary to make the tools alongside the features?
Also despite having all those employees Fifa manager mode is heavily stagnant. I doubt that mode would linger behind if the devs hadn't the year release date.
Again maybe i'm wrong but for me 2000 employees sound very little for a game that releases every year.
- - -

Planning, it is called planning...

It is not like FIFA begun to build their first Frostbite release after their last Ignite - in one year...

This is how I think they do it.
* A tech group tries to make a quick port an old game, like 2010, to Frostbite, notices what is missing.
* A full port with implementation of all needed features is planned, X years...
* It is noted that Frostbite could support Single player story mode, a writer is hired
* Porting and writing of story make take several years, during this time FIFA releases as normal; roster updates, hoping that PES do not release story mode
* Port a newer one like 2014, to verify that everything works - now the engine is ready
* Changes in preproduction, like rescanning of stadions for PBR
* Scanning of actors for story
* Scanning of players, roster update
* Test, test, test
* Rescan players and stadions when needed
* FIFA 17 is released, minimal new features
* Start to add stuff
* Scan, scan, scan
* Test, test, test
* FIFA 18

I assume any FIFA release to take two maybe three years from first planning "what do we want to change" to release, adding Frostbite might easily have doubled that - but first years the team to do that would be small (those not in it still had to release FIFA yearly). This is also how I expect most AAA releases are done, most software in fact!

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
Nope. More than enough exist to show your statement up, honestly.
I feel there's too many by-the-numbers games that hardly show originality. There's a bunch of exceptions of course; for every Assassin's Creed (boo) there's a Sekiro (yay), but on the whole it's pretty creatively bankrupt I feel.

yurr

Alt-Account
Banned
Nov 20, 2019
How do I, the consumer have the ability to reject unions? Eve in if I did, how would that effect them in any way?