• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ManaByte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
People are starting to get (and activate) their Star Wars Celebration badges today, and things are blowing up because the big panels will have a lottery.

There is also no overnight lines this time (there were at the last Celebration).

This means someone can spend thousands of dollars traveling to Celebration to see the premiere of the Episode IX trailer and title, and not even have a chance to get in the panel due to the lottery.

stumblebee

The Fallen
Jan 22, 2018
Better solution than lines, I think. Can't have people gumming up the works for a mile long line for hours and hours.

Haloid1177

Oct 25, 2017
I'm really happy I decided to bail on Celebration. I think part of the reason for this is the event just isn't ready for the crowds compared to Orlando who has done this numerous times.

Starphanluke

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 15, 2017
I'm going to Celebration and think it's a fine solution. Most of the panels are relatively easy to get into, with IX obviously being the major exception. And honestly, taking my chance on the lottery design sounds much better than waiting up all night in line hoping I'll get in. There were a LOT of people in 2017 who waited all night but got turned away.

And that particular panel is being live streamed to two other stages where you can watch is surrounded by other fans.

So this is fine in my eyes.

BackLogJoe

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I was going to this or Disney world. I chose wisely. I think there's going to be real drama there about the last Jedi.

Haloid1177

Oct 25, 2017
I'm going to Celebration and think it's a fine solution. Most of the panels are relatively easy to get into, with IX obviously being the major exception. And honestly, taking my chance on the lottery design sounds much better than waiting up all night in line hoping I'll get in. There were a LOT of people in 2017 who waited all night but got turned away.

And that particular panel is being live streamed to two other stages where you can watch is surrounded by other fans.

So this is fine in my eyes.

I disagree with you in 2017. People in line had a good idea if they got in or not and didn't have to wait in line. I was able to figure out I was getting in to the 40th panel and not the TLJ panel pretty easily.

OtisPepperoni

Dec 5, 2017
I'm actually very happy about this. I was not looking forward to having to make a decision about waiting in line overnight. Did it twice for SDCC Hall H - first time was fun, but once was enough - 2nd year I was over it. Bring on the lotto! If I miss out, plenty of other stuff to do.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
This is better. Gives people with kids, or actual important commitments beyond waiting in line for literally hours a chance.

Starphanluke

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 15, 2017
I disagree with you in 2017. People in line had a good idea if they got in or not and didn't have to wait in line. I was able to figure out I was getting in to the 40th panel and not the TLJ panel pretty easily.

There was a big mess with the TLJ panel where people were told they'd get in if they stayed, but somehow large groups were holding space for others and so the lines inflated the following morning and a large chunk of people who stayed overnight were denied entry to the panel.

Probably wasn't as big of a deal as I remember it being, but it was a cluster at the time.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
No, it's a shit solution. Same thing with having to win a lottery to buy that exclusive you want.

Fuck that, Celebration was god awful last time cause they let people form lines ahead of time. If you did no sleep on the convention floor overnight to get a wristband, you didn't get into any of the big panels at Celebration.

Almost every panel (even the smaller ones) were claimed by the time the General public was allowed into the convention hall each day.

Sorry but fuck the line queues, you spend thousands to travel, hotel, tickets, and you got to sleep on a convention floor and not in your expensive hotel room for a chance to see a panel which is live streamed everywhere as well? Folks with family, small kids, etc, were basically shit out of luck for almost all panel as nerds lined up for many hours ahead of time. Making lines is not fair, so many people can't do it, a lottery gives everyone a chance.

DJMicLuv

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
No, it's a shit solution. Same thing with having to win a lottery to buy that exclusive you want.

I remember when I were a youngling that if you wanted a ticket to a movie showing, or a concert, you queued up and the people who'd put the most effort in and were at the front of the queue 'won' admission. Now it's ALL about the money and no amount of dedication outside of how much you're willing to pay gets you anything.

OP
OP
ManaByte

ManaByte

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
I remember when I were a youngling that if you wanted a ticket to a movie showing, or a concert, you queued up and the people who'd put the most effort in and were at the front of the queue 'won' admission. Now it's ALL about the money and no amount of dedication outside of how much you're willing to pay gets you anything.

This.

Starphanluke

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 15, 2017
Fuck that, Celebration was god awful last time cause they let people form lines ahead of time. If you did no sleep on the convention floor overnight to get a wristband, you didn't get into any of the big panels at Celebration.

Almost every panel (even the smaller ones) were claimed by the time the General public was allowed into the convention hall each day.

Sorry but fuck the line queues, you spend thousands to travel, hotel, tickets, and you got to sleep on a convention floor and not in your expensive hotel room for a chance to see a panel which is live streamed everywhere as well?

Yeah, these are my feelings as well. Celebration shouldn't be about sitting in line for hours on end. At least this way, you'll now if you're getting in or not and can enjoy the convention outside of that constant anxiety.

Starphanluke

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 15, 2017

I honestly can't tell if this is a joke post or not.

DJMicLuv

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, these are my feelings as well. Celebration shouldn't be about sitting in line for hours on end. At least this way, you'll now if you're getting in or not and can enjoy the convention outside of that constant anxiety.

How hardcore a fan you are is reflected in your willingness to suffer through the queues. If you just want to roll up and stroll in how much does it actually mean to you to be there? The 'anxiety' is excitement. The excitement is part of the memories. You only get out what you put in.

Hooky

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Executor: Your uncle had you in his thoughts. Set aside all these limited edition star wars items.

Nobody:

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017

I had lot of hardcore fan friends who spent 1-2k for hotel rooms near the convention, they rarely saw those rooms cause they were constantly sitting around overnight in those stupid qeues.

Previous Celebration did not allow anyone to line up for several hrs before the show, they also had special queue rooms to line up in that wouldn't open for about 2-3 hrs before a panel was to start, no one was allowed to sleep over, or claim space. Them letting people line up so far ahead was a disaster

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
This just sounds like a nightmare all around to me. Props if you've got the willpower/time to queue up overnight for a movie trailer, but goddamn.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Having the ability to wait outside of a theater all day rather than going to work is an explicit reflection of money. You're basically gatekeeping these events to people with the greatest amount of leisure time to spend on them.

The lottery system doesn't seem perfect, but aside from relocating the entire event to a venue capable of fitting everyone - I don't see an easy alternative solution.

Maybe just release most of the tickets through a lottery, and do a waiting list for remaining seats + no-shows.

OP
OP
ManaByte

ManaByte

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
I had lot of hardcore fan friends who spent 1-2k for hotel rooms near the convention, they rarely saw those rooms cause they were constantly sitting around overnight in those stupid qeues.

Previous Celebration did not allow anyone to line up for several hrs before the show, they also had special queue rooms to line up in that wouldn't open for about 2-3 hrs before a panel was to start, no one was allowed to sleep over, or claim space. Them letting people line up so far ahead was a disaster

It was only a disaster because ReedPop couldn't handle it. Disney does fine at D23 Expo every two years. Those camp outs aren't bad at all.

SDCC is only bad if you're buy yourself. Get an organized group with line shifts and it's doable.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
How hardcore a fan you are is reflected in your willingness to suffer through the queues. If you just want to roll up and stroll in how much does it actually mean to you to be there? The 'anxiety' is excitement. The excitement is part of the memories. You only get out what you put in.

This has to be satire. Fandom should not be suffering, what the fuck is this bullshit?

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
Having the ability to wait outside of a theater all day rather than going to work is an explicit reflection of money. You're basically gatekeeping these events to people with the greatest amount of leisure time to spend on them.

The lottery system doesn't seem perfect, but aside from relocating the entire event to a venue capable of fitting everyone - I don't see an easy alternative solution.

Maybe just release most of the tickets through a lottery, and do a waiting list for remaining seats + no-shows.

They need to cap the number of tix sold, last celebration was the craziest one and it was way too damned packed. They need to scale back on tix sold sadly, it used to be such a great show but it's gotten way too big

Starphanluke

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 15, 2017
This has to be satire. Fandom should not be suffering, what the fuck is this bullshit?

Yeah, I don't see any way that poster isn't being satirical.

How 'hardcore" of a fan you are isn't based on how much you suffer for what you love, but by how much you enjoy it. There is so much more at Celebration to enjoy than lines and queues.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
Imagine spending upwards of $5000 on travel, hotel, tickets, etc. to Celebration and you can't get into ANY of the big panels you want or buy ANY of the exclusives you want because the lottery fucks you.

I spent nearly that much and I didn't get into any panels cause I refused to spend 8-12 hrs on a convention floor overnight. Friends with small children and family basically were shit out of luck for every single panel cause of it. Those who couldn't get multi day tickets or had any form or work, were instantly disqualified from attending any panel?

The lottery gives everyone a chance now.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Imagine spending upwards of $5000 on travel, hotel, tickets, etc. to Celebration and you can't get into ANY of the big panels you want or buy ANY of the exclusives you want because the lottery fucks you.
Imagine doing all of that AND spending a large portion of your trip waiting on the ground. Then still not getting in, because the line management is fucked.

Because that's the current system.

Starphanluke

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 15, 2017

Maybe my reasons for going to Celebration are incredibly different than everyone else, but does anyone really go to Celebration JUST to see a panel/trailer that is also live streamed online?

I feel like most people are going to meet actors, celebrate with fellow fans, and just enjoy Star Wars for an extended weekend. The panels are just the cherry on top.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
Imagine doing all of that AND spending a large portion of your trip waiting on the ground. Then still not getting in, because the line management is fucked.

And waiting for a big panel line typically meant you having to miss many other events, lose out on chance for floor exclusives, and other festivities.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017

I've been fucked by lotteries and I've been fucked by shitty line management. My solution has been to not go to these stupid conventions anymore. They're not worth it. Ever.

OP
OP
ManaByte

ManaByte

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
Maybe my reasons for going to Celebration are incredibly different than everyone else, but does anyone really go to Celebration JUST to see a panel/trailer that is also live streamed online?

I feel like most people are going to meet actors, celebrate with fellow fans, and just enjoy Star Wars for an extended weekend. The panels are just the cherry on top.

For many people it's the panels.

Ask the people who start camping out for Saturday's Hall H panel at SDCC on MONDAY along the bayfront.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
I've been fucked by lotteries and I've been fucked by shitty line management. My solution has been to not go to these stupid conventions anymore. They're not worth it. Ever.
It's a delicate balance. As conventions get bigger, they attract more interesting talent & exclusives - but also draw crowds that make the entire thing unbearable. I pretty much only do PAX West as my yearly con, and that one is always teetering on the brink of being too busy to be worth it.

SDCC & SWC just seem like way too much stress for what you actually get out of the experience.

OP
OP
ManaByte

ManaByte

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
It's a delicate balance. As conventions get bigger, they attract more interesting talent & exclusives - but also draw crowds that make the entire thing unbearable. I pretty much only do PAX West as my yearly con, and that one is always teetering on the brink of being too busy to be worth it.

SDCC & SWC just seem like way too much stress for what you actually get out of the experience.

SDCC is doable if you prepare way ahead of time and go with or know people who know how to handle it.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
SWC turning into SDCC like event has been the worst thing for it. It wasn't like this in the past, it was such a great show, its now unbearable.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York

I've gone to multiple major conventions, if you're dedicated and smart enough that rarely happens. Line > Lottery always.

Critch

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
People are starting to get (and activate) their Star Wars Celebration badges today, and things are blowing up because the big panels will have a lottery.

There is also no overnight lines this time (there were at the last Celebration).

This means someone can spend thousands of dollars traveling to Celebration to see the premiere of the Episode IX trailer and title, and not even have a chance to get in the panel due to the lottery.

GOOD. This is a system that only rewards people that have no problem missing the rest of the convention and staying on a hard floor overnight. Immediately any families or anyone that's not insane aren't able to see something that they paid for.

Lines shouldn't start until an hour or two before the start of the panel. Anything else is as pointless as a Caucus system and rewards the same types.

OP
OP
ManaByte

ManaByte

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
Celebration lottery ran, people who are driving across country right now to the convention are receiving emails telling them they're fucked and they can't see any panels.

But don't worry, scalpers have you covered!

Rad Bandolar

Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
The last Celebration in Orlando was so godawful that we decided to abandon it after the first day and do DisneyWorld and Cape Canaveral instead, so we could salvage the vacation and the money spent.

It surprised us because the previous one in Anaheim was so much better.

Anyway, a lottery is basically the best way to handle this. Your other alternative would be to have a "guaranteed seat" admission price, similar to what Creation does and then make it prohibitively expensive for all but the top 10%.

Only fools stay overnight in lines.