• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Recently, I wanted to start getting in the habit of eating more rice since the only way I could ever get delicious rice was to go out to eat. I consume so much rice that going out is getting a little pricey and I want to to make a good investment forward so I bought a Zujirushi Pressured Rice Cooker (the most expensive one on the market, got it used in mint condition for only $220).

I bought a big bag of Jasmine Rice to test out with it, so far it's great, however, no matter what setting the Rice seems to only come out as sticky and clumps together. While I absolutely love Sticky rice, everyone in my house prefers less sticky, especially if we plan to use the rice cooker for certain recipes that require less sticky rice to mix things in. So my questions are:

1. How can I make my rice less sticky?
2. How can I make my rice more dried out?
3. Is there anything else I can add to flavour rice (other then rice vinegar)
4. Any tips to make newly made rice less clumpy when I want to make fried rice?
5. What's the benefits of letting rice sit?
6. Any secret family tricks and tips I should know about?
7. Any good rice brands out there I should keep an eye out on when I'm at the Asian market?
8. What are some must-have sauces for Asian cuisine?
9. What is that Ginger sauce from Shogun Japanese Grill (if you know of this restaurant) and where can I buy it?
10. Are you professionally Asian?

Fierro

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Spanish rice is better. You fry it the grains with some onions and green peppers. Add salt, get a nice brown, add water and let that shit cook.

Has so much flavor.

Kin5290

Oct 26, 2017
I just use a rice cooker. One to one water to rice, or maybe 1.25 or 1.125 cups water to 1 cup rice.

shinkie

Oct 26, 2017
Does your rice cooker bowl have a water level?
Also fried rice, don't use freshly cooked rice. Leave it overnight.

ham bone

Alt account
Banned
Apr 12, 2018
10. Are you professionally Asian?

Out of college I dabbled in the field but then someone pointed out that maybe I would be stronger, professionally, if I focused on my natural talents and actual heritage.

You could try fluffing the long grain rice with a paddle.

img70c.jpg

But really fluff it. Try to touch every grain. That's how you prepare rice for sushi. If there is a clump larger than 8 grains you didn't touch you will notice it.

Deleted member 1287

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wait how do I Asian professionally

Have a been an amateur all along

Please apprentice me pro Asians

Also, sticky rice is the only way shame on you

Kin5290

Oct 26, 2017
Also, keep steamed rice in the refrigerator overnight before you fry it. In my family we just make extra rice if we're going to make fried rice the next day. The key to making fried rice is that you want the rice good and dry.

OP
OP
Illusion

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Warned : Trolling. Casual racism.
Please fix your title. It's kinda bad.

Do not assist. Keep the rice secrets safe

Wait how do I Asian professionally

Have a been an amateur all along

Please apprentice me pro Asians

Also, sticky rice is the only way shame on you

Title is shit. Professional Asian?

Asian professionally? Sorry brah, Asian ain't a game... it's a DUTY!!!

I named accordingly for memes, I am not disappointed.

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In the weak and the wounded
If you don't want it extra soft/sticky, stop using the rice cooker.

Try this.

Rinse it off if you must.

Boil 2 cups water. Drop a cup of rice. And a tbs of sesame oil. Stir, cover, reduce heat and let sit. Usually for 20 minutes or until your desired softness.

Fluff/mix up with a fork. Let sit for a few minutes. Fluff again and serve.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
White guy here, but I loved my Zojirushi.

Rinse the rice. Mix it around in the container with water and you'll notice it will get filmy. Drain water. Repeat until water is clearer.

Add 1/2 cup more water than whatever amount of rice you add....though it sounds like you want it real dry. Maybe zojirushi was just not the right option. It typically was great for cooking California short grain.

Don't bother with flavors or anything until you are comfortable with the plain rice you're making.

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017
As many people have said, you need to use less water. Start at 1:1 by volume and see if that works out.

Kin5290

Oct 26, 2017

Try this.

Boil 2 cups water. Drop a cup of rice. And a tbs of sesame oil. Stir, cover, reduce heat and let sit. Usually for 20 minutes or until your desired softness.

Counterpoint: ain't nobody got time for that shit.

Source: Am Asian.

OP
OP
Illusion

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Try this.

I just need less sticky rice for certain recipes. Stickiness is still my preferred.

How does sesame oil help? Does it loosen it up a bit, does it harden it more? Clarification I'm not a professional at this.

Otakunofuji

Oct 27, 2017
If you want firmer rice that doesn't clump up, use basmati rice. Jasmine definitely tastes better, but gets stickier. I like to do a 50/50 mix of basmati and jasmine, personally, so you get the superior flavor of the jasmine rice but the basmati helps keep the grains overall more separated.

Also, letting the rice sit and steam for a good 10-minutes after the cooker says it is "done" helps dry things out and make it a little more separate and fluffy, too. Though I'm just using a cheap rice cooker and not a fancy one, so it may be different.

Source: me. Not Asian or a chef, but I did make Japanese curry and rice yesterday (and ate the leftovers today!).

Drexion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I bought a big bag of Jasmine Rice ...... sticky and clumps together.
When you're new to cooking rice, and want no stickiness/clumping, then buy Basmati rice instead of Jasmine rice. With enough practice you can work with either, but for amateurs Basmati is less likely to give you the sticky/clumpy results.

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In the weak and the wounded
I just need less sticky rice for certain recipes. Stickiness is still my preferred.

How does sesame oil help? Does it loosen it up a bit, does it harden it more? Clarification I'm not a professional at this.

Using oil keeps the grains from sticking, because as they absorb the water the oil coats the outside. When you fluff it coats them all pretty well. Makes it really hard to grab chunks of rice with chopsticks, as it just all falls apart.

Also sesame oil is fucking delicious. I could fucking drink that shit.

wisdom0wl

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
How are people bad at cooking rice? Especially plain white rice.

Disclaimer: am Asian (idk if professionally)

OP
OP
Illusion

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If you want firmer rice that doesn't clump up, use basmati rice. Jasmine definitely tastes better, but gets stickier. I like to do a 50/50 mix of basmati and jasmine, personally, so you get the superior flavor of the jasmine rice but the basmati helps keep the grains overall more separated.

Also, letting the rice sit and steam for a good 10-minutes after the cooker says it is "done" helps dry things out and make it a little more separate and fluffy, too. Though I'm just using a cheap rice cooker and not a fancy one, so it may be different.

Source: me. Not Asian or a chef, but I did make Japanese curry and rice yesterday (and ate the leftovers today!).

When you're new to cooking rice, and want no stickiness/clumping, then buy Basmati rice instead of Jasmine rice. With enough practice you can work with either, but for amateurs Basmati is less likely to give you the sticky/clumpy results.

Mixing the rice seems like a good idea. Would the water to cup ratio be the same? Or is Basmati a little different for measurements?

Using oil keeps the grains from sticking, because as they absorb the water the oil coats the outside. When you fluff it coats them all pretty well. Makes it really hard to grab chunks of rice with chopsticks, as it just all falls apart.

Also sesame oil is fucking delicious. I could fucking drink that shit.

I agree, Sesame oil is sacred and can be consumed alone. #facts
I use it for stir fry and soups. I'm actually sad my local Asian market doesn't sell a huge container of the stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.