• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Dec 12, 2017
It will be interesting to see if this moves the needle. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure most of AOC's base was already supporting Bernie.

SnakeXs

Oct 28, 2017
It will be interesting to see if this moves the needle. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure most of AOC's base was already supporting Bernie.
There's obvious overlap but this should be pretty big. Her SM echoing Bernie alone will be huge. 5.5m followers (Or rather whatever percent of her/any follower number is real) is no joke.

Would only help Biden still imo. As awesome a president as Sanders would make, America clearly doesn't want him. He gets loyal support but for two elections now, he has shown he can't grow his support.
Just because you, like, say this, doesn't mean it's true.

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
Understandable. Though I'd imagine people who really admire AOC are still sticking with their votes to their progressive candidate of choice.

I'd also imagine her support would be polarizing to people who weren't going to vote for Bernie regardless.

Even though Bernie isn't my top choice at the moment, I hope her support drives the other candidates to adopt even more progressive stances to make themselves stand out more.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
"Listen to WOC!"
"NO! Not like that! Why're they being so stupid?!"
-Libs

Now all I'm waiting for is some HP references and it'll be a bingo for today.

Harris knows this all too well. :(

Why a large part of progressives don't like Bernie Sanders? It seems so weird to me because he obviously has the most progressive views of all the candidates, even Warren. I do understand that having a woman as president is really big and I'm sure Warren would make a great presidente, but it seems that Sanders has better plans for everything, specially healthcare.

Speaking for myself it's because his stance on guns is to the right of every other real contender in the field.

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017

Takes like this really make white liberalism's support for diversity seem like nothing but a self pat on the back for optics. And if you read the subtext of it, it really seems like the implication is that she expects that all women and POC should or do think alike?
Seems kind of patronizing and maybe a bit racist.

Last edited:

Deleted member 22490

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Takes like this really make white liberalism's support for diversity seem like nothing but a self pat on the back for optics. And if you read the subtext of it, it really seems like the implication is that she expects that all women and POC should or do think alike?

It's basically the "more women guards" tweet. It's tokenism

Kyra

The Eggplant Queen
Oct 25, 2017
New York City

I often wonder how people get jobs. Writing.... Stuff.

Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY

in the case of Omar and Tlaib in particular, if Warren wanted their endorsement so badly, she probably shouldn't have copied and pasted the Obama adminstration's Israel/Palestine policy

Deleted member 4346

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was calling him naive. Have you ever known me to hero worship ANYONE?

I got you now, sorry. But I think I'm more cynical. He was definitely naive to think that the GOP would work with him in any way, but Obama perpetuated systematic privilege and inequality, perhaps because he successfully negotiated his way through those systems himself? Obama, for all his political talent and personal charisma, was such a missed opportunity. That's how I look at his presidency now. If we could get a leftist with those gifts, but who had principles and was willing to fight, that's the dream. That's why, in part, people are so excited about AOC, right?

That's just embarrassing. That person should feel bad.

Tamanon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Either they're supporting Bernie already, or they won't move to him just because she gave her blessing. Probably not much influence.

Can't really use # of followers as a metric, considering Cardi B already came out for Bernie, lol.

y2dvd

Nov 14, 2017
Can someone explain to me why it is Bernie that would be the one clearing the path for Biden and not Warren?

Deleted member 22490

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Agreed. And this manifests into incredibly condescending takes like the tweet at hand.
It's very condescending and annoying. The way these liberals come at shit like this, I gotta vote for either Kamala or Buttigieg since they share parts of my identity.

I will say, however, if two candidates are equal, I will go for the more diverse option.

SweetNicole

The Old Guard
Oct 24, 2017
Can someone explain to me why it is Bernie that would be the one clearing the path for Biden and not Warren?

Likely because Warren is ahead of Sanders, so the logic is if Sanders stepped aside it would certainly push Warren over the top of Biden. If Warren stepped aside for Sanders, the same thing might happen, but Warren is in the lead right now, so people feel Sanders should step aside for her. I imagine other people would be making the same arguments if it was Sanders leading over Warren right now.

Sensei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Why are ppl upset at AOC for this lol

she is VERY open about supporting who you believe in, not who would make the best itchy dinosaur approved chess piece

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I don't actually think this pushes any numbers, but the train of thought is:

Warren is in the lead. If Sanders takes 2% or so of Warren's numbers away from her, Biden regains the lead. Sanders remains in third place.

Oct 27, 2017

Because for many, that's what it really is.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Personally I also don't see him as particularly weak on gun reform either. I think he's got more of a perspective on the actual practical need for guns in places like rural Vermont vs the guy in suburbia building a personal armory. I know people tried to also jump down his throat when he refused to sign on to challenges made by Hillary and others in 2016 that they should work to allow victims of mass shootings to sue the manufacturers of the weapons used. Which on its face sounds nice but I think Bernie had enough foresight to realize that could set a terrible precedent that extends beyond firearms discussion.

That's because the PLCAA was a signature piece of a legislation for Bernie that ADDED protections for the gun industry. It didn't take them away. The PLCAA was a high priority for the NRA when introduced and it was touted by the NRA as "a historic piece of legislation" when passed.

The PLCAA acts as a massive liability shield for the industry. One that other industries don't, and have never, had. Tobacco lawsuits, opioid lawsuits, motor vehicle lawsuits -- if a similar shield law existed for those industries, none of the fundamental changes that came about due to lawsuits would have ever happened.

The precedent set here is that the gun industry doesn't have to play by the same rules as the rest of the industry because politicians are willing to cover for it at the behest of the NRA.

Unless Bernie comes out and commits to a concerted effort to repeal the PLCAA, he does not, and cannot, have any legitimate claim to being pro gun reform.

y2dvd

Nov 14, 2017
Likely because Warren is ahead of Sanders, so the logic is if Sanders stepped aside it would certainly push Warren over the top of Biden. If Warren stepped aside for Sanders, the same thing might happen, but Warren is in the lead right now, so people feel Sanders should step aside for her. I imagine other people would be making the same arguments if it was Sanders leading over Warren right now.

Bernie was leading Warren for the first several months but I didn't hear the same sentiments for whatever percentage Warren had at the time. I get she is in the lead now, but is there any particular reason why at this exact time with so much left in the primary is this sentiment only now being shared?

SweetNicole

The Old Guard
Oct 24, 2017
Bernie was leading Warren for the first several months but I didn't hear the same sentiments for whatever percentage Warren had at the time. I get she is in the lead now, but is there any particular reason why at this exact time with so much left in the primary is this sentiment only now being shared?

Could be a combo of factors: closer to election, people dislike Bernie more and want him to drop out, Biden entering the race/polling high, etc.

John Dunbar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

it's like boxing. only the last fight counts.

y2dvd

Nov 14, 2017
Could be a combo of factors: closer to election, people dislike Bernie more and want him to drop out, Biden entering the race/polling high, etc.

This is an honest answer. It just feels like people pivot straight to him dropping just because. There is plenty of fight left and obviously the squad does as well so I'm not going to say for either to throw in the towel especially when both Warren and Bernie is still polling top 3. Biden on the other hand..

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Some people are always going to be lowest common denominator and treat politics like sport.

We've already seen multiple calls for Warren to drop out, as well as Bernie, so it's not something that is unique to either side.

Personally, as long as they end up supporting the eventual nominee against Trump, let them ride. The only reason to call for someone else to drop out at this point is because you're afraid that they'll end up winning the nomination instead not your favored candidate.

That says more about the person someone is asking to drop out than it does about their favored candidate.

Grain Silo

Dec 15, 2017
This makes sense from AOC since IIRC she supported him in 2016, but why drop the endorsement news now? I don't quite understand the timing and I thought she might at least leave the door open for Warren.

papermoon

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

It's full on racist.

TheFatOne

Oct 27, 2017
This makes sense from AOC since IIRC she supported him in 2016, but why drop the endorsement news now? I don't quite understand the timing and I thought she might at least leave the door open for Warren.
Timing makes perfect sense. Sanders has been dipping in the polls, and recently had a heart attack. If he wants to shake things up this would be the best time to do so. Try and use this time to relaunch his campaign.

Deleted member 59245

Banned
Aug 15, 2019
California

download.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
Some people are always going to be lowest common denominator and treat politics like sport.

We've already seen multiple calls for Warren to drop out, as well as Bernie, so it's not something that is unique to either side.

Personally, as long as they end up supporting the eventual nominee against Trump, let them ride. The only reason to call for someone else to drop out at this point is because you're afraid that they'll end up winning the nomination instead not your favored candidate.

That says more about the person someone is asking to drop out than it does about their favored candidate.

tbh I don't think anyone is genuinely arguing for Warren to drop out, as opposed to mocking calls from Warren supporters for Bernie to do so. possible I missed someone with that bad take though

Latpri

Banned
Apr 19, 2018

The timing makes perfect sense if you consider she never was going to consider Warren and was always going to endorse Bernie. Bernards at a nadir, and shes using her name and endorsement to boost him. Hes had her back repeatedly when nobody else did, and she was a Bernard Brother volunteering for his campaign in 2016 even before she was in Congress. Believing shed endorse Warren has always seemed like a pipe dream thatd never happen unless Bernie completely fell apart before Iowa.

KingK

Oct 27, 2017
I don't actually think this pushes any numbers, but the train of thought is:

Warren is in the lead. If Sanders takes 2% or so of Warren's numbers away from her, Biden regains the lead. Sanders remains in third place.
Yeah, this. I said way back in, like, January that I'd vote for whichever of Sanders or Warren is more likely to win the nomination by the time Indiana primaries roll around. I want one of them to win, and don't want any of the others. Early on, I thought this would mean me voting Sanders because Warren was at single digits. But it's become very clear in the last several months that Warren has a much, much easier path to the nomination, so I'm backing her.

As far as which would be a better president, I would be soooooo fucking happy with either of them, but I give Warren the edge domestically (almost entirely because of Sanders fucking idiotic position on the filibuster), and Sanders the edge on foreign policy (he really struggled here in 2016, but has clearly done some homework since then and now has the most consistent and ethical FP in the race by far).

But then, I have more confidence in Warren's actual administrative/staffing decisions, and she's almost a whole decade younger than Bernie. It's not fucking ageist to be concerned about the president having more than a 1 in 4 chance of dying in his first term, especially after the heart attack. Incumbency advantage is a huge thing to just throw away like that, and I literally cannot imagine Bernie completing 2 terms. I'm skeptical he'd survive one, and if he did I'm not even sure he'd be able to run again. I already feel uneasy voting for someone who will be 70 starting her first term, let alone fucking 80. Especially since I legit have no idea who he might pick as VP. For all I know, it'd be fucking Tulsi. And considering his hit or miss history on staffing/surrogates, I'm not inclined to take that risk.

It's really an indictment of the how the party has operated for the last several decades that the only real progressive options are either 70+, or too young to run. I really wish that the squad had saved an endorsement until the field had narrowed more and we had a more clear picture of the final two. If this does end up helping Biden skate by to the nomination, I'd be a little upset, but I'm really hoping/thinking that won't be the case.