• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Jmanunknown

Oct 26, 2017
Here is a key detail from the article which shows how bs this whole situation is

Both had a green light at the time, and investigators initially questioned whether the SUV's driver failed to yield but concluded Manuel's excessive speed would have made it almost impossible to accurately judge the turn.

Investigators determined the officer's speed through a mathematical calculation and from data on the car's airbag control module, according to his arrest report. The speed limit for that section of Airline Highway is 50 mph.

The traffic accident was 100 percent the cop's fault whether or not the baby would have died or not if properly secured is another story considering these are the injuries from people in the SUV
Janice Johnson the drivers mother and owner of the SUV spent three months in the hospital before being transferred to a rehab facility in New Orleans. She suffered extensive injuries, including a crushed lung, broken bones and digestive problems, according to the complaint. Her appearance has been permanently altered. She has difficulty speaking and needs help with basic activities like bathing, eating and using the bathroom.

Three children — ages 7, 9 and 15 — were also hospitalized for months with serious broken bones and internal injuries, according to the complaint. The oldest is wheelchair-bound and has suffered "permanent physical deformities and scarring" in addition to diminished cognitive abilities that have prevented her from returning to school.

BaNDaMaN

Nov 1, 2019
The traffic accident was 100 percent the cop's fault whether or not the baby would have died or not if properly secured is another story considering these are the injuries from people in the SUV
How did I miss the rest of this? As if the baby wasn't bad enough. These officials must be void of any moral compass to not punish the cop (and wanting to punish the mom instead). That is seriously messed up. Soulless bastards.

Nov 1, 2017
Was the carseat broken so that it couldn't be strapped in properly and that was why it was placed the way it was? And whether or not it was does that in any way change that criminal speeding is more likely cause an accident than an unsafely secured carseat?

Keio

Nov 5, 2017
Can someone hypothesize what would've happened if the driver of the car causing the crash had not been a cop? This seems too absurd to be true.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Louisiana police are especially heinous from my experience with them

I remember a few friends went to protest in Baton Rouge a year or two ago and they brought in a fucking tank

Hokahey

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
That was incredibly stupid of her ... but not as stupid as a cop killing the baby at 100 mph and then not being punished for it.

I'm not sure you're going to get a conviction with that fact being considered.

But yes, he should at minimum be fired as a public servant. Beyond that, I don't know enough about the law. Involuntary manslaughter?

Hokahey

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I see what your doing and can reasonably assume why your doing it and wish you wouldn't but go ahead and do you.

Clarifying an important fact in the story for the sake of an honest intellectual discussion? I know that's really frowned upon. Not everything is an attempt at serving an agenda or being coy about a particular bias. As hard as that is for most people to wrap their heads around regarding internet discourse.

TalonJH

Oct 27, 2017
Louisville, KY
The injuries of the other passengers are so bad that I'm not sure if the baby would had survived even if the chair was strapped down. This is just crazy. He should be in jail.

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
I think the worst fucking part of this is the balls on that shithead trying to sue the family he fucking destroyed. What a piece of literal garbage.

Robochimp

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Can someone hypothesize what would've happened if the driver of the car causing the crash had not been a cop? This seems too absurd to be true.

I posted an example above, likely the same outcome. In my example 80mph in a 35, 2 people killed, just a less than $200 ticket for reckless driving.

Jmanunknown

Oct 26, 2017
Was the carseat broken so that it couldn't be strapped in properly and that was why it was placed the way it was? And whether or not it was does that in any way change that criminal speeding is more likely cause an accident than an unsafely secured carseat?

Nope most likely they had to many people(their were nine people in the SUV) in the vehicle and had nowhere to put the baby car seat and thought it was okay because what is the likely hood of getting into an accident.

Clarifying an important fact in the story for the sake of an honest intellectual discussion? I know that's really frowned upon. Not everything is an attempt at serving an agenda or being coy about a particular bias. As hard as that is for most people to wrap their heads around regarding internet discourse.

I've been posting long enough to know "honest intellectual discussion" is probably not what your after but like I said go ahead and do you.

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
There's no reason for the officer to not be charged and brought before a judge/jury. This is ridiculous to say the least.

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
Judging by all the other people in the car that suffered serious and some permanent injury I'm not even sure that baby would have survived the jolt of being struck by a vehicle going almost 100mph. Almost literally double the speed limit.

Zelas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But after two years of discussions, he said, prosecutors felt they couldn't meet the burden of proof for homicide or even a lesser charge like negligent injury for the officer
BULLSHIT! You just dont want to.

Local elections matter.

Figgles

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
It sucks, but they never would have gotten a conviction. His lawyers would have just hammered home that the kid wasn't restrained. The kid probably wouldn't have survived a hit at 50 mph either.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Moore, the district attorney, said prosecutors chose not to pursue a speeding charge against the officer because, under Louisiana law at the time, it could have interfered with their ability to eventually bring a more serious charge of negligent homicide. Allen, however, says he's not aware of any reason the district attorney couldn't pursue multiple charges at once.
The window for prosecuting a speeding violation passed last month. If the district attorney had come to a decision on negligent homicide sooner, Moore acknowledged, they could have pursued the other offense. But he maintained that deliberations simply took too long.

DA couldn't be bothered.

Almost like they intentionally botched the case to protect the PD

siteseer

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How does a cop afford a corvette?
corvettes are not super pricey if you have a decent steady job. its ignobly touted as a poor mans sports car vis-a-vis euro exotics. that aside i don't know why someone going 40+ over the limit resulting in a crash and a fatality simply walks away, cop or not.

Jmanunknown

Oct 26, 2017
Thank you both Jmanunknown and asmith906. I figured there would be a reason for it. And yeah considering the other injuries not sure what difference it would have made.

Your welcome and yeah its just a terrible situation.

Louisiana is the only state in the US where police are a protected class so you know their is a high probability their is some bs going on when officers involved.

mAcOdIn

Oct 27, 2017
This. The mother already paid for her negligence by losing her baby. But the cop isn't being punished at all.
But he lost his corvette! Surely that equals out the family's loss of the baby and all of their extensive injuries. I mean, it is a corvette not a mustang here.

All sarcasm aside this piece of shit should be in jail.