• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
https://www.washingtonpost.com/busi...9_story.html?utm_term=.9c61ce832f41&tid=sm_tw

LOS ANGELES — She woke up with a tickle in her throat. This was worrying for Ashly Burch, who, at 27, is a rising star in the small world of voice actors, best known for her work in video games. She knew actors who had blown out their voices in the studio. She'd come close herself. So leaving her house that morning Burch sipped a soothing mix of chai tea and pea milk. "It's nondairy," she said. "Dairy creates mucus, and that's not a good sound."

Now, standing inside a soundproof studio in nearby Santa Monica, Calif., she gave no hint of discomfort as she prepared to record new lines for "Horizon Zero Dawn," one of the year's most popular new releases.

"How's your throat?" the director asked.

"Fine," she said, as a monitor glowed with her lines.

Voice actors are increasingly on the front line of a transformation taking hold in the entertainment industry as the creativity of Hollywood and the technological innovation of Silicon Valley converge. Voice, that intimate marker of human emotion, is now seen as essential to the $24.5 billion U.S. video game market, where the hyper-realistic graphics and operatic story lines used in games can be as textured as the best film dramas. And the best voice actors — their names known to fans and promoted by companies — can become celebrities despite never appearing onscreen.

Yet voice actors in this industry are not treated like actors in television and movies. This led voice actors to go on strike last year against 11 of the largest video game developers over bonus pay and safety issues such as vocal stress. The bitter labor dispute dragged on for 11 months, making it the longest strike in the history of Hollywood's largest actors' union, SAG-AFTRA. Burch was forced to give up a critically acclaimed role she loved. Gaming fans feared delays for their favorite titles before a tentative deal was reached late last month. A vote by the full union is going on now.

Rest of the article at the link.

I thought this was an incredibly interesting article, that touches on a lot of Burch's work, in particular Chloe in Life is Strange, and how badly it hurt her to not be able to reprise the role in the prequel.

Frozenprince

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
VA's, unless you're the tippity-ippity top and really even then, make and always have made absolutely dick all for money. It's sad. They are an integral part of almost all games, yet they barely make enough money to live off and work obscene amounts of hours and do an absurd amount of takes for very little, if anything at the table.

Gaming in general has an issue with it's pay structure and organization in terms of hours worked.

NinjaCoachZ

Oct 26, 2017
I like and sympathize with most of Ashly's sentiments and I'm glad the union was able to work out some better conditions. The strike may be over but I'm glad to see the conditions and struggles game VAs go through has started to become a bigger subject.

I feel kinda mixed toward the end of the article because I totally get how much it must've torn her up to not get to reprise Chloe, but I feel like it's not really fair that some of the lines throw her replacement VA under the bus. I dunno. I guess I'm not Ashly so I can't really picture what she's thinking, but I don't know if it's fair to emphasize the individual when somebody had to take the role, she's a newcomer actress who needs to eat too, and it was the companies that elected to go non-union.

OP
OP

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
It really shows how heartbroken Ashly was to not be able to complete Chloe's story, especially when she saw those reviews saying the VO was indistinguishable (it's a close soundalike, but still not her). Just a bum rap all around.

Blyr

Oct 27, 2017
"I think they see it as a slippery slope," Smith added. "If they give an inch on this concept of royalties, it's a first step for others to ask for them."

Those "others" would be game developers — the tech wizards who code endlessly to make the magic happen.

Paying the people who sacrifice time with their family and work ridiculous hours on games small bonuses or residuals on games that sell millions of copies? The horror!

Very good article, VA's most certainly do not get paid nearly enough for the strain and work they put in. Literally damaging yourself to the point of being unable to continue your livelihood, and all for pay that's well under normal rates is baffling. I remember reading stories or threads from developers saying that they could leave the gaming industry and work a normal job, working half the hours and making twice the pay (not sure how true this is as I'm not a developer and don't work in the industry) and that's.. absurd. Seeing VA's say the same is just.. Why. The people who put their heart and soul into making the things we love, sacrificing themselves for this craft, and they're barely making anything out of it. I just, don't understand.

H.I.V.E.

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Unionize already. Easier said than done but people in the industry need to start thinking long term for their profession, retirement and industry.

Edit: talking about everyone in the games industry.

Last edited:

NinjaCoachZ

Oct 26, 2017
Unionize already. Easier said than done but people in the industry need to start thinking long term for their profession, retirement and industry.

They are unionized; SAG-AFTRA. The article is all about the strike they were going through for most of the past year. They didn't get residuals worked out but they got better working conditions.

H.I.V.E.

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They are unionized; SAG-AFTRA. The article is all about the strike they were going through for most of the past year. They didn't get residuals worked out but they got better working conditions.

It was a statement in regards to everyone in the industry. My bad. I am happy they did take the fight but it was also kind of pathetic observing the lack of support.

Oct 27, 2017
I can't read the full article due to the paywall, but during the strike it was really disappointing to see the sentiment going around that VA didn't 'deserve' royalties because developers didn't receive them. The answer should be that devs get royalties as well, not that both must miss out.

Oct 28, 2017
Washington Post said:
Last year, the union invited California's Division of Occupational Safety and Health to investigate what it called unsafe and vocally stressful conditions for actors doing video games. Before regulators declined to take action...

Cal/OSHA needs an applicable regulation before they can do much to improve working conditions for voice actors. SAG-AFTRA came to a California Occupational Safety and Health Standards Board meeting in early 2016 saying they would petition for a regulation to limit the length voice acting sessions where extreme vocalizations are used to 2 hours. However, they never followed through and made the petition. Now that the strike is over, hopefully the union will try to get something done.

Juan29.Zapata

Oct 25, 2017
Colombia
Poor Ashly. I've been one of the ones who've said that Rhianna is pretty good as Chloe, but that doesn't erase the fact that Burch is Chloe. Deck Nine did the best they could with the circumstances, and at least Chloe's new voice doesn't feel out of place. Of course it doesn't reach the level of Ashly's performance.

Anyway, it's so great that WaPo did this article. I'm glad that they got better working conditions and hope they can build from there. I'll never understand how such an industry doesn't reward the people who actually make the games as good as they are, not just the devs (which are clearly not rewarded), but also the VA's. Also, it's pretty cool that they focused on Ashly. She's probably my favorite VA in the industry right now.

Deleted member 8860

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Don't have much to add except that this article (with a picture of Ms. Burch recording) was the main story in the business section of the Sunday WaPo (paper). That's going to give the issue a lot of exposure.

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017
"I've made more money from one episode of some crappy preschool cartoon than one of the biggest-selling video games of all time,"

And after all this time, they appear to still have got a bum deal, especially on the length of sessions, which is a career limiting factor given the damage some actors have had because of long, vocally tiring sessions.

As games become fully voiced blockbusters, the actors deserve back fair cut. And yes publishers, if that means giving the people who actually make your games a better cut, do that too.

Deft Beck

Oct 26, 2017
Space
As games become fully voiced blockbusters, the actors deserve back fair cut. And yes publishers, if that means giving the people who actually make your games a better cut, do that too.

I think we're going to run into complicated royalty situations as a result of this strike. We already have many classic games from the mid-90s which can't be re-released today without revisiting the legal contracts surrounding voice acting of the time. I hope that they're able to work out a legally-flexible arrangement that would prevent this and also compensate voice actors properly.

Eirwaz

Oct 27, 2017
Norway
I think more countries like norway, sweden and denmark nned to invest in localy made games. Create jobs innyour own country and be an atractibe competitor for the game industry workforce.

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017
I think we're going to run into complicated royalty situations as a result of this strike. We already have many classic games from the mid-90s which can't be re-released today without revisiting the legal contracts surrounding voice acting of the time. I hope that they're able to work out a legally-flexible arrangement that would prevent this and also compensate voice actors properly.
That's why the unions are asking for a centralised contract type, like the other creative industries.

Yes it'll be boilerplate but will take these issues into account. Just the same as they are for re-issues of TV series and movies on new formats.

It's a case where unions really help with this, rather than hinder as it means everyone plays by the same rules.

Necron

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
Those Ashly Burch comments are very depressing. I still love Life is Strange: Before the Storm but still... I wish they'd have kept her as Chloe. Not to insult the stellar job her replacement did but still...
It's a complicated, messy and overall unfair situation. I hope this will improve but I feel we need to take it more serious as well.

Imagine if Mass Effect changed Jennifer Hale for FemShep across those three game, I feel I just wouldn't have had the same connection to the character.

Ginta

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Really sad about her not being able to continue her role in LiS too. What's worse is really how easily they seem to be replaced by sound-alikes. It doesn't make the job easier if the industry nearly always give the top jobs to the same 5-10 people.

Juan29.Zapata

Oct 25, 2017
Colombia
I just got a push notification from my WaPo smartphone app for this article, so this is certainly going to get quite some attention.

Last edited: