• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 1086

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Boise Area, Idaho
The article lays it out pretty specifically. The owner called his sister, she called a local nonprofit organization that helps immigrant families navigate the legal system and a lawyer was on the way. The owner didn't want to wait for the lawyer to show up and flagged down police when he saw them pass by his shop.
"Before Sandigo could get there, police vans began circling the shop's parking lot. Gonzalez said nobody from the shop called the police, but he eventually flagged down an officer and pointed to where the girl had hidden."

It doesn't sound like the shop owner gave her position away maliciously, however the article does make it clear he doesn't regret what he did. Also I think the immigration lawyer was the one who got the cops called to the shop? It says she called 911, but it's unclear whether she called before or after the cops got to the auto shop.

Ogami Itto

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why are Cubans so anti immigration? The Cuban guy in my office is a Republican and huge trump supporter, it boggles my mind. He also makes it a point to mention how his ancestors were from Spain, one day I will just ask him you mean the guys who came from Europe and raped the native population?

Oct 27, 2017
Why are Cubans so anti immigration? The Cuban guy in my office is a Republican and huge trump supporter, it boggles my mind.

Cubans when castro took over that came to the US were given free citizenship weren't they? Then there was the one foot rule that Cubans that came illegally got automatic citizenship or something when they set foot in the US?

Rover

Oct 25, 2017
Cubans when castro took over that came to the US were given free citizenship weren't they? Then there was the one foot rule that Cubans that came illegally got automatic citizenship or something when they set foot in the US?

My guess is that a lot of Cuban immigrants are ignorant about what other groups have to do to "get in legally", because their process was relatively easy. This guy saying "lol just get your papers" screams of that.

timmbp

Oct 25, 2017

All Cubans are considered political refugees. In the the 90s it changed that Cubans had to set one foot on land rather then just reach territorial waters.

MonoStable

Oct 27, 2017
I always get mad when I hear a Cuban come with some bullshit reason about how their coming here was legal, it was only legal because the u.s. deemed you guys refugees from a crisis, the same as these people who also are trying to flee. It also pisses me off that conservatives keep playing the Dems want illegals to come here and vote Dems when literally the only party to do that are Republicans since they know Cubans vote conservative.

HipHop

Banned
Feb 28, 2018
My guess is that a lot of Cuban immigrants are ignorant about what other groups have to do to "get in legally", because their process was relatively easy. This guy saying "lol just get your papers" screams of that.
it is not easy but its a doable process (from experience illegally crossing).

If you dont get it together' ; they have no one else to blame but themselves when caught (if they have been here for a year or more and still havent started the process):

Branu

Banned
Feb 7, 2018
Why are Cubans so anti immigration? The Cuban guy in my office is a Republican and huge trump supporter, it boggles my mind. He also makes it a point to mention how his ancestors were from Spain, one day I will just ask him you mean the guys who came from Europe and raped the native population?

Like many nations in Latin America, Cuba is stratified along race, with a caste system that desingates privilege according to how white or black you are. Most of the Cuban "refugees" who came here were white, while most of the black Cubans remained. It makes sense that the majority of the Cubans who came here were of the racist variety, hence why the majority of them vote Republican and support Trump.

Heri

Oct 28, 2017
They will always look for excuses or justifications to do the things they do but we all know the real reason, after all they voted for Trump who ran campaign based on racism, they knew what he represented and they voted for him.

It is pretty clear which side they are on.

Feb 3, 2018

Many Cubans belong to the exile community who had to flee Castro and many of them was furious that Obama dared to normalize relations with Cuba and have been very republican friendly for many years.

I believe Ted Cruz's father is also Cuban if I am not mistaken.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
First they came for 14 year old immigrant children and I did not speak out because I was the one who called them

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
I know that the comments in the end sealed the deal for him being detestable, I just think that even if he wasn't a Trump supporter he may have ultimately made the same decision out of fear. I almost feel like he's trying to justify his own guilt by going the "law and order" route, just in a way that most folks will see as obviously in the wrong.

But I guess there's no point in defending the dude, I just think it's pretty disheartening that such a situation is happening in modern times and more folks will likely have to deal with such a situation in the future. And I just think the majority of folks will probably fold over to the authorities, be it out of self-preservation or fear.

Is it that weird to think that a minority, hiding an escaped minor in his shop and it being circled by the Florida PD, wouldn't consider the possibility he could be shot?

I mean I admit I'm in the wrong here trying to defend the man, but I don't think that's a crazy scenario for a person to legitimately believe in the heat of the situation.

Brah

Stop crafting hypotheticals to justify your undeserved sympathy for a dude who literally said Make America Great Again after ensuring this 14 year old girl got sent back to her cage.

I know, I admit I was being a bit too generous to the guy.

Far more than a bit too generous.

Oct 27, 2017
Many Cubans belong to the exile community who had to flee Castro and many of them was furious that Obama dared to normalize relations with Cuba and have been very republican friendly for many years.

I believe Ted Cruz's father is also Cuban if I am not mistaken.
Ted Cruz's father is dogshit. He is an insane person that indoctrinated his blobfish child and unleashed it upon the US.

Deleted member 5359

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Cuban community at large in South FL have been the worst about "fuck you got mine" for decades. Ask the Haitians who tried to escape to Miami in the 1990s how they were treated.

KNZFive

Oct 28, 2017
Old Miami Cubans, the poster children for fuck you got mine.
Adult son of Cuban immigrants living in South Florida here.

Can confirm, many older Miami Cubans are fucking brain dead and heartless when it comes to immigration. They're elitist and look down on both other Latin American immigrants and other Cubans who came later than them. They refuse to acknowledge that they benefitted from refugee laws that allowed them to stay. If the Trump administration had been in charge back then, they would be sent back as well.

Meanwhile, they gladly accepted the "wet foot, dry foot" policy for decades while Haitians escaping from worse conditions were refused that benefit.

Naphu

Apr 6, 2018
This reminded me of that scene in Stranger Things S1 when Eleven tried to hide in that diner.

Chamaeleonx

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Guy is an obvious idiot, nothing else to expect. He simply doesn't have the intelligence to understand the whole situation.
Hopefully they retroactively rip his family apart because, as others said, I doubt he came to America legally.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
Please tell me that lowlife is getting backlash for this in some way. What a piece of crap he is.