• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 3812

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
WaPo is reporting that PewDiePie is about to lose his title of "most-subscribed channel" on YouTube to a YouTube channel named T-Series: https://www.washingtonpost.com/tech...es-about-be-dethroned/?utm_term=.8c77344d4354

Two numbers sit side-by-side: PewDiePie: 67,343,327. T-Series: 67,155,597. Both numbers, representing each YouTube channel's subscriber counts, are growing by the second. But T-Series is growing faster.

Those numbers popped up recently on a livestream that the analytics firm SocialBlade created to monitor the competition between the pair. In a matter of days, SocialBlade estimates, something monumental will happen. T-Series will overtake PewDiePie as YouTube's most-subscribed channel — a spot he's held since 2013.

If you're an American who cares at all about YouTube, you'll know PewDiePie, a.k.a. Felix Kjellberg. He's Swedish, he became famous for playing — and reacting on camera to — scary video games. The videos gave him an enormous and very loyal fan base. He was one of the first famous YouTubers whose influence challenged the idea of what it means to be a "real" celebrity instead of simply someone who is famous online.

As the years passed, Kjellberg branched out into vlogs, commentary and comedy videos, packaged and protected by layers of in-jokes and irony. In 2017, he lost his premium YouTube show and a number of business deals when the Wall Street Journal highlighted a number of Nazi jokes on his channel.

It's tempting to conclude that the imminent dethroning is a result of the personality's serial controversies. But that's not quite right: Kjellberg is about to lose the top spot not because of who he is, but because of what T-Series represents. In fact, Kjellberg's subscriber count has only grown since those controversies — just not as quickly as T-Series's.

T-Series is an Indian YouTube channel that taps into the popularity of Bollywood and focuses on music videos. Unlike PewDiePie, the channel posts multiple videos a day (about four to six), and is run by an entertainment company. And it's growing at a staggering pace as India's Internet user base expands. Since the beginning of the year, T-Series has gained more than 35 million subscribers.

There are a lot of things that T-Series has going for it, and it's hard to say which one is the driving force behind its takeover of the YouTube subscriber chart. Motherboard noted recently that T-Series has done a couple of super smart things: It has catered to regional audiences like those in Bengali and Tamil, and has focused on music. Bollywood music, Motherboard writes, isn't as accessible in digital formats as you'd think. So a free YouTube channel with a huge catalogue of songs immediately becomes appealing.

In a September video, Matthew Patrick, a YouTuber who runs the popular Game Theory channel, outlined several factors that he believes have contributed to T-Series's impending coronation — including increased interest by major tech companies in tapping into India's growing user base. Patrick argues that as more of India's population gets online, there are still relatively few channels that cater to its interests and produce frequent, professional-quality videos. In other words, T-Series is benefiting from having little competition — something that contributed to Kjellberg's rise several years ago, Patrick has argued.

SpeedyBlueDude

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Nov 17, 2017
Provo, Utah
PewDiePie will still remain the most subscribed independent YouTube channel.

Also, all new users in India are basically auto subscribed to T-Series, which for me devalues the accomplishment by a lot. Not hard to be on top when you get special privileges.

PewDiePie is still the champion.

gdt

Oct 26, 2017

Also, all new users in India are basically auto subscribed to T-Series, which for me devalues the accomplishment by a lot. Not hard to be on top when you get special privileges.

Fuck pew.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
The twitter plug for this article had a bunch of replies pretending it was Mega64 dethroning him instead, which IMO is the best timeline.

Benita

Banned
Aug 27, 2018
Eh, T-series seems to be a big conglomerate which posts 5-10 videos per day from a multitude of sources. Doesn't seem to be a fair fight.

Do you have an opinion OP?

less

Oct 25, 2017
T-Series is great. I frequently use it to listen to some of my favorite songs. <3

Deleted member 30544

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Nov 3, 2017

PewDiePie is still the champion

Yeah!! preach brother!!! he is still the best!!!!

A racist piece of human garbage, but heil those subs for the champion.

Summer

Oct 27, 2017
London

He's a horrible racist cunt, why are you supporting him?

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

The only thing PewDiePie is a champion of is being a Nazi sympathizing racist piece of trash.

nemoral

Oct 25, 2017
Fiddler's Green
PewDiePie is a piece of shit, and his subscription numbers are basically bullshit. He never posts anywhere that number of views. These days he averages closer to 5M than 50M views.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
It's crazy that it has taken this long and even when does happen it's to "India's largest Music Label & Movie Studio."

Deepthought_

Banned
May 15, 2018

Lol don't worry he won't be dethroned

hateradio

Oct 28, 2017
welcome, nowhere
Pretty sure I saw something like this mentioned a few months ago.

I assume that because China has its own "knockoff" services, India is the one that will be more prominent in the world stage in a few years.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
kinda tells me youtube is kinda trash then if their top 2 subbed channels are someone who has basically lost all his sponsors and must be actively "unpromoted" by Youtube for his views/issues but is too popular to just boot off, and an indian music channel that is auto subbed by people who are in that country.

Ninja is "twitch ambassador" and it makes sense, he is really good at fortnite and has grown with the popularity of that game. Who is the Youtube "brand ambassador"? These two channels? Is Youtube doing anything to curate their brand or are they just technocrats who believe the best will rise to the top automagically?

Jombie

Oct 27, 2017

Make sure to give pewds a fist bump.

Monkeyball

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 19, 2018
Why couldn't a well adjusted, good person be the most popular on Youtube? Why you do dis humanity.

RustyNails

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Ah Bollywood. T-Series owns like every single music label in India, it's insane.

LukeOP

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't get it... Is kid like a slang for white people?

No. It what the media calls grown a white men when they get in trouble while they call 14 year old black boys no angels.

Also is this true or is this just some racist ass shit?

Hadok

Feb 14, 2018
i still don't understand why there are so many subscribers to this youtuber channel.

Sedated

Apr 13, 2018
Indians aren't auto subbed to t series if they were then t series would have overtaken pewdiepie loooooong ago. T series produces A LOT of Bollywood's tracks that are big hits with hundreds of millions of views per song so they get a lot of subs. Also t series posts a lot of music like 3-4 tracks a day.

Nightbird

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Go take a look at the /r/pewdiepiesubmissions subreddit.

It's quite entertaining to see the fanbase acting like the end of the world is about to happen

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Not that huge of an accomplishment coming from a media conglomerate. PDP's is sub count is seriously impressive given he's a one man show.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
I mean I think very low of PDP to put it nicely and do not see the appeal. However, his numbers are far more impressive a feet compared to a commercial channel.