• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 26, 2017
Amalthea
Emotions are running high during a panic, everyone is posting angry comments and the next generation game consoles aren't even out yet.
Aggressive and sometimes toxic rhetoric over the console wars isn't new to gaming culture — and it's prone to be exacerbated with the Xbox Series X and PlayStation 5 on their way. But it's time to move past that, says Phil Spencer, Xbox chief and Microsoft's executive vice president of gaming.

"This idea that in order for the industry to grow, some companies must succeed and others must fail … it doesn't help gaming reach the potential it should," Spencer tells The Post. "We should be driven to help gaming as an industry grow, for creators to take the biggest risks they can. When a great game comes out, we should applaud it, whether it's for PC, or PlayStation or on a Switch."
Spencer said he doesn't imagine movie executives hope for another studio's project to fail.
"We should focus on this industry that we love and see it continue to grow. And we should protect it from the issues that it does have," said Spencer, adding that recent conversations around accessibility, inclusivity and addressing toxic, harmful communities have highlighted what truly undermines the industry. "If we're going to spend energy, let's go spend it on those things, not 'my piece of plastic is better than your piece of plastic.' I don't think that's a productive conversation."

Spencer's view on this isn't new. After all, he's spent the last half-decade moving in that direction, and thereby distinguishing the Xbox brand from the rest of the competition. The upcoming Xbox Series X is a big deal, but it's no longer the only star of Microsoft's gaming strategy, and it's going to take some time for its fans to adjust. Microsoft is less interested in ruling a single platform like consoles, and more about bringing the Xbox to as many platforms as possible.

More at the link: https://www.washingtonpost.com/vide...r-console-war-mentality-xboxs-shift-away-box/

Personally I'm quite happy at the idea of making games more available and I'm glad there's someone in charge that can make that a reality. We can always do more to bring games to as many people people as possible and that's a good thing for both the consumer and the dev IMO.

Though i think Phil is wrong on the war of bicarbonate plastic---I quite like my erotic roleplay console war sessions, they really make me feel young again!

Flame war me if old.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
"If we're going to spend energy, let's go spend it on those things, not 'my piece of plastic is better than your piece of plastic.'

I hope he knows he has a fight on his hand even lowering this attitude let alone removing it. People are invested in the consoles wars, as silly as they are. I think most people that are even enjoy it a great deal so.... Yeah GL with that. People will fight to keep it alive.

Dec 15, 2017
Make XCloud available on a many devices as possible (okay, I really just want it on my Switch) and I'd be thrilled, Phil

Ænima

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Console warriors gonna console war. Has been like that since Nintendo Vs Sega, will keep beeing like that since thers 2 or more brands doing the same thing.

"If we're going to spend energy, let's go spend it on those things, not 'my piece of plastic is better than your piece of plastic.'
Maybe say that to MS marketing department that shouts out Series X is the most powerfull console in the world, at every oportunity. :D

Last edited:

Altair

Jan 11, 2018
"If we're going to spend energy, let's go spend it on those things, not 'my piece of plastic is better than your piece of plastic.' I don't think that's a productive conversation."

1kxup2.jpg

Blackbird

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
I'll never understand what's so great about cheerleading massive, faceless companies.

Being loyal to brands is the silliest concept ever.

RPGamer92

Oct 25, 2017
More people here should follow this. It's gotten pretty unbearable reading the general threads lately.

PS9

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
He says don't say my plastic is better than your plastic, yet every chance Microsoft gets they hammer home that XSX has more power than a PS5. "Worlds most powerful console" and all that.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
I hope he knows he has a fight on his hand even lowering this attitude let alone removing it. People are invested in the consoles wars, as silly as they are. I think most people that are even enjoy it a great deal so.... Yeah GL with that. People will fight to keep it alive.

This is sadly true, and at the end of the day these are luxury items that are essentially locked down PCs with living room friendly form factors (as much of a chonk as the PS5 is :P). Competition is good to keep everyone on their toes and to inspire innovation, Spencer's heart is in the right place here, but of course he also recognizes the need to keep one toe in the plastic box space otherwise why even put out "The most powerful console" as they've been positioning the XSX for a minute now. May as well just go all in on the xcloud and third party device Game Pass integration and release a dedicated streaming box for the former. I don't want that direction btw native hw will still be king for awhile, but both XSX and Lockhart clearly signal MS isn't about to dip out of the standard console market anytime soon.

As immature and toxic as "tha warz" are its that demographic mindset and brand loyalty which drives a big part of the decisions between the companies. At least we've moved on from the "Sega does what Nintendont" days of directly pandering to that mentality though.

jman1954goat

Linked the Fire
May 9, 2020
Spencer, adding that recent conversations around accessibility, inclusivity and addressing toxic, harmful communities have highlighted what truly undermines the industry. "If we're going to spend energy, let's go spend it on those things, not 'my piece of plastic is better than your piece of plastic.' I don't think that's a productive conversation

This is some real talk right here.

DopeyFish

Oct 25, 2017
He says don't say my plastic is better than your plastic, yet every chance Microsoft gets they hammer home that XSX has more power than a PS5. "Worlds most powerful console" and all that.

last time I checked, they aren't screaming at you telling you that you're stupid for believing otherwise

cgcg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (2 Weeks): Trolling and platform warring, long history of similar behavior
I forget...who employs alberr pennello and major Nelson?

Dante316

Oct 25, 2017
I have say Microsoft is saying all the right things...tell me that price of Lockhart so I can join in the fun too.

Feb 23, 2019
Phil always comes across as a politician to me. He says a lot of things that sound good but he doesn't always practice what he preaches

One thing I've never really understood is why he and the Xbox team actively engage with some of the most toxic fans in the industry which just further perpetuates the "console war" mentality.

you don't really see Nintendo or Sony doing anything similar, but Phil Spencer and Aaron Greenberg do all the time

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They advertise that the Series X is the world's most powerful console, which it is. Would you rather them not promote that they it's the world's most powerful console?

There's nothing "warring" about accurately marketing the hardware you're selling.

Matic

Oct 25, 2017
If he truly believes that then he should call out Tom Warren while he is at it...just sayin...

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like they're just setting up a new phase of console wars because even if everything went 100% streaming they'd have their own exclusives and would try to secure third party exclusives. If XCloud takes off it's cool that you don't need a box (well you will always need something) but then we will just have a different version of console wars with streaming services from Xbox, PS, Nintendo, Google, etc just like Netflix, HBO Max, Hulu, CBS, YouTube, Shudder,... etc

Outrun

Oct 30, 2017

Well the XSX is the most powerful console. What you want MS do? Vaunt the incredible SSD and IO of the PS5?

MillionIII

Banned
Sep 11, 2018
Phil sounds pretty naive about how toxic the gaming community can get, probably more than any entertainment industry.

PS9

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
They advertise that the Series X is the world's most powerful console, which it is. Would you rather them not promote that they it's the world's most powerful console?

There's nothing "warring" about accurately marketing the hardware you're selling.
"Worlds most powerful console" is a way of saying "XSX is more powerful than PS5" without naming the competition. There are two other consoles out there and they ain't talking about the Switch. It's saying that their piece of plastic is better than your piece of plastic.

Hokey

Oct 29, 2017
This guy is a great leader and Xbox has truly led the way for more inclusive gaming. Game Pass, Backwards compatibility, Cross Save, Cross Platform Online, All Xbox games on PC etc. These were all huge first steps made by Microsoft.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
adding that recent conversations around accessibility, inclusivity and addressing toxic, harmful communities have highlighted what truly undermines the industry. "If we're going to spend energy, let's go spend it on those things, not 'my piece of plastic is better than your piece of plastic.'
It's always good to see people high up bring up these things.

I especially like the work they've done to make the Xbox Adaptive Controller. Hopefully they can make some moves about the other two things too.

I don't think there's anything wrong with saying your console is "the most powerful" if it is. Console warring isn't stating this, or even if someone states they have a preference for one platform over the other. Console warring would be something idiotic like criticizing or giving someone shit for having a preference other than your own.

Twenty7kvn

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
"Worlds most powerful console" is a way of saying "XSX is more powerful than PS5" without naming the competition. There are two other consoles out there and they ain't talking about the Switch. It's saying that their piece of plastic is better than your piece of plastic.
Yea and what's the issue with that?

WetWaffle

Oct 25, 2017
Then ask Nintendo and Sony for it because chances are Microsoft would want that.

Also obviously Phil should be the defacto leader of the video game industry.
It's because of them that paying for online multiplayer became commonplace so no I'd rather Xbox dont become market leader again any time soon...

Fezan

Oct 26, 2017
I think Phil always says the right things but when you look at how much their executive like to talk with toxic Fanboys on Twitter or how Aaron Greenberg make everything console wars it just shows that this is all just talk.

I want to point out that I am only taking regarding Fanboy stuff. Everything else he is doing with Xbox brand is great

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
What is this post?

Status
Not open for further replies.