• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mar Tuuk

Oct 31, 2017
Obama doesn't owe your ass shit.

The Russians interfered with us under his watch.
From a CNN piece "Mueller's report looks bad for Obama"
By Scott Jennings Updated 12:15 AM ET, Tue April 23, 2019
https://www.cnn.com/2019/04/19/opinions/mueller-report-obama-jennings/index.html
Congressman Adam Schiff, who disgraced himself in this process by claiming collusion when Mueller found that none exists, once said that "the Obama administration should have done a lot more." The Washington Post reported that a senior Obama administration official said they "sort of choked" in failing to stop the Russian government's brazen activities. And Obama's ambassador to Russia, Michael McFaul, said, "The punishment did not fit the crime" about the weak sanctions rolled out after the 2016 election.

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Obama doesn't owe your ass shit.
I dunno. He was president for 8 years, then mostly has gone away while our country has gone to shit under this successor. Other presidents have had a role in politics after their terms, and with Obama as well-like as he is, I think he has a duty to be someone that the Democrats can rally around and take back the country.
I guess he doesn't "owe" us, but it sure would be nice if he'd do more to help out.
https://www.cnn.com/2019/04/19/opinions/mueller-report-obama-jennings/index.html
ehh, Scott Jennings? No offense, but I won't listen to a word that guy says. He's generally full of shit.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
You are posting an article written by a former aid to the man who threatened to claim to the public and the media in front of the White House that the President was trying steal the election if he moved on Russian interference in the election. You realize that, right?

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
She's one of the most intelligent people to ever seek the office, and would have been so fucking good at the job.

Glad she hasn't tried to avoid confronting these issues head-on. Obama has dropped the ball in that regard.
Lol Let Obama have his freedom. He doesn't have to do anything more for the crap Party.

hendersonhank

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Terrible imo.

All this talk about more investigations says that what we already know is not enough. We can and should overlook it.

Terrible.

And then if new investigations and inquiries reveal no crime, then what? You can't say, then, "oh let's go back and start caring about the obstruction etc in the Mueller report". No, it will be yet more vindication for the right, more proof for them that Dems are desperately looking for something but not finding it. And at that point it will be too late to return to what we already know and say let's do something about this, because not doing anything about it NOW says that the Dems, too, don't see it as anything impeachable, don't see it as anything bad enough to do more than bitch about.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
Terrible imo.

All this talk about more investigations says that what we already know is not enough. We can and should overlook it.

Terrible.

And then if new investigations and inquiries reveal no crime, then what? You can't say, then, "oh let's go back and start caring about the obstruction etc in the Mueller report". No, it will be yet more vindication for the right, more proof for them that Dems are desperately looking for something but not finding it. And at that point it will be too late to return to what we already know and say let's do something about this, because not doing anything about it NOW says that the Dems, too, don't see it as anything impeachable, don't see it as anything bad enough to do more than bitch about.
Question: You are aware that Nixon was never impeached, right? That what eventually brought him down was Congress doing investigation upon investigation whittling down the public's resistance to the truth, right?

"But let's not do what's effective. It doesn't make me feel catharsis and therefore must be morally reprehensible!"

Jan 10, 2018
Not a jab against her, but its still irritating that almost anyone sounds more presidential than the President.

The shit that has been normalized the last few years is astounding.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
I dunno. He was president for 8 years, then mostly has gone away while our country has gone to shit under this successor. Other presidents have had a role in politics after their terms, and with Obama as well-like as he is, I think he has a duty to be someone that the Democrats can rally around and take back the country.
I guess he doesn't "owe" us, but it sure would be nice if he'd do more to help out
He's been more politically active during the term of the President following him than any modern President has been.

Oct 27, 2017
Democratic politicians as well would respond better to Obama, who's kind of waffling at the moment from what I've seen of his public words. He's still well-liked and well-thought-of by the majority of the base.

Clinton has like negative social capital, some of it due to her own faults, some of it due to things she's blameless for. I really don't understand why she doesn't see this, or maybe she does and just ignores it.

Why should she feel the need to not voice her opinions just because people dislike her? Is she suppose to just go into a ditch and quietly die? You guys MASSIVELY overstate the effect anything she says/does has, as if she's some kryptonite who poisons anything that she's near. Like I said, people need to get the fuck over it and act like they have some sense. If you don't like her, just ignore her

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
If you don't like her, just ignore her
I can do that just fine but she is still radioactive to the Fox news base which matters because she can potentially drive up extremism from that wing.

I don't want those guys to have any more encouragement than they need. The exact same message coming from Obama would:

1) Influence D politicians more
2) Convince D voters to care about this more (which feeds back into 1)
3) Inflame R voters less (they'd still be inflamed either way but less so)

I can control how I react to things but I cannot control how other people react to things.

Deleted member 8860

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The House should indeed continue to pass good legislation. Clinton can be right about the topics she convers in her op-ed and still be wrong as a leader for America (disclaimer: I voted for her in 2016).

She didn't do anything wrong? How about destroying Libya and creating a failed state where ISIS and slave markets operate and then laughing about it? Or how about supporting literal al-Qaeda in Syria? Or how about turning a blind eye to states like Yemen using child soldiers?

That's just her time as Secretary of State, what about her racist rhetoric on crime in the 1990s? Her support for annihilating welfare and deregulating financial markets? Her vote for the Iraq War in 2002? Or her support of Bankruptcy Bill in 2005?

Well, yes, but apart from all those things (and a few more besides), Hillary Clinton has done nothing wrong. /s

hendersonhank

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Question: You are aware that Nixon was never impeached, right? That what eventually brought him down was Congress doing investigation upon investigation whittling down the public's resistance to the truth, right?

"But let's not do what's effective. It doesn't make me feel catharsis and therefore must be morally reprehensible!"

Question: do you see the public's "resistance to the truth" being whittled down? Because every poll I see says more and more people think enough is enough, they "didn't find anything" and Congress should "get back to work on healthcare and infrastructure".

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lol Let Obama have his freedom. He doesn't have to do anything more for the crap Party.
He's been more politically active during the term of the President following him than any modern President has been.
Which is it?

I guess he really hasn't been out front about any issues that I've seen. Where has he been politically active? I remember about 8 speeches from the 2018 election season, but nothing else really that's been very prominent.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
These statements are not mutually exclusive. Obama doesn't owe you anything. He did his time. He saved the economy. He aged rapidly. And he's out. He's a private citizen now and doesn't owe the rest of his life to saving this nations from its own fucking stupidity. But: He's also been active with public speeches against Trump's policy and working with Eric Holder on election reform efforts. You never heard about W being politically active during Obama's term, or Clinton during W's, or HW during Clinton's. It's not something that's done. And yet he has.

ImTheresaMay

Banned
Jan 15, 2018
These statements are not mutually exclusive. Obama doesn't owe you anything. He did his time. He saved the economy. He aged rapidly. And he's out. He's a private citizen now and doesn't owe the rest of his life to saving this nations from its own fucking stupidity. But: He's also been active with public speeches against Trump's policy and working with Eric Holder on election reform efforts. You never heard about W being politically active during Obama's term, or Clinton during W's, or HW during Clinton's. It's not something that's done. And yet he has.

LMAO Obama saved the economy? What the hell are you talking about? Black communities are being wiped away by gentrification and cost of living, poverty has grown to nearly a third of Americans, more Americans are living from paycheck to paycheck than at any time in the postwar era, health care and education costs are still sky high, etc.

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
She's the President that we needed, unfortunately not the President our idiotic electorate deserved.

We may never have a more distinguished, intelligent, experienced candidate for the highest position of office in our lifetimes.

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018

This is an odd reason to despise someone, Democrats do lose elections - that's part of politics. Shouldn't you be more angry at Trump for winning or Comey, anyway?

200.gif

TerminusFox

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
LMAO Obama saved the economy? What the hell are you talking about? Black communities are being wiped away by gentrification and cost of living, poverty has grown to nearly a third of Americans, more Americans are living from paycheck to paycheck than at any time in the postwar era, health care and education costs are still sky high, etc.

lmfao, I'll take "Ignoring context for 500 Alex"

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018

Bush left the country in a recession which was heading into a depression, which affected the entire world. TARP was Obama's successor to Bush's bandaid on the economy, which is why we still had a positive economy during his terms in office. This included investing in building projects to inflate the economy.

Obama's tried to help where he could on those issues, except he was against record breaking obstructing from the GOP in congress. This is why he couldn't close Guantamo Bay etc.

He is a flawed president, and he did fail but don't blame him for things he had no control over or was undermined by congress.

Last edited:

Herne

Dec 10, 2017
Didn't take long for the, "Go away and be silent" posts. For all those who keep saying it, get used to it, because she's not going to.

She's right, and I hope the Democrats do as she says they should and keep focused on more than just these issues. I would be worried that they won't but there's a lot of newer, younger people in office now like Alexandra Ocasio-Cortez who will keep up the pressure on multiple topics.

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017
I think this is a rather constructive and impressive piece.

A few things that needed to be said:

The debate about how to respond to Russia's "sweeping and systematic" attack — and how to hold President Trump accountable for obstructing the investigation and possibly breaking the law — has been reduced to a false choice: immediate impeachment or nothing. History suggests there's a better way to think about the choices ahead.

. . .

During Watergate, the House Judiciary Committee also began a formal impeachment inquiry that was led by John Doar, a widely respected former Justice Department official and hero of the civil rights struggle. He was determined to run a process that the public and history would judge as fair and thorough, no matter the outcome. If today's House proceeds to an impeachment inquiry, I hope it will find someone as distinguished and principled as Doar to lead it.

In other words, get past this debate over whether or not we should impeach the president and begin an impeachment inquiry. With this, Hillary Clinton has effectively put her weight behind the idea that Congress should begin the process of impeachment. This is helpful.

Third, Congress can't forget that the issue today is not just the president's possible obstruction of justice — it's also our national security. After 9/11, Congress established an independent, bipartisan commission to recommend steps that would help guard against future attacks. We need a similar commission today to help protect our elections. This is necessary because the president of the United States has proved himself unwilling to defend our nation from a clear and present danger. It was just reported that Trump's recently departed secretary of homeland security tried to prioritize election security because of concerns about continued interference in 2020 and was told by the acting White House chief of staff not to bring it up in front of the president. This is the latest example of an administration that refuses to take even the most minimal, common-sense steps to prevent future attacks and counter ongoing threats to our nation.

Responding to the Mueller report also means taking seriously the picture it painted of our vulnerability to foreign election interference, it's both pathetic and straight up scary that our president doesn't seem to especially care about that issue, and Congress should take substantial action on its own.

Of all the lessons from our history, the one that's most important may be that each of us has a vital role to play as citizens. A crime was committed against all Americans, and all Americans should demand action and accountability. Our founders envisioned the danger we face today and designed a system to meet it. Now it's up to us to prove the wisdom of our Constitution, the resilience of our democracy and the strength of our nation.

No one should think that refusing to start the process of impeachment is somehow "safer," or without significant risk. In that situation, Congress would be abdicating one of its most important responsibilities: holding the president accountable. And that wouldn't be without consequences.

Finally, an important point...

Watergate offers a better precedent. Then, as now, there was an investigation that found evidence of corruption and a coverup. It was complemented by public hearings conducted by a Senate select committee, which insisted that executive privilege could not be used to shield criminal conduct and compelled White House aides to testify. The televised hearings added to the factual record and, crucially, helped the public understand the facts in a way that no dense legal report could. Similar hearings with Mueller, former White House counsel Donald McGahn and other key witnesses could do the same today.

...look at this tweet through that lens:

No, right now most of the public doesn't seem to support impeachment. But not only has that not been a prerequisite to beginning the process in the past, informing the public has specifically been a significant function of that process.

Overall, I still feel conflicted on this question, but I've increasingly been leaning toward thinking we should walk a path that very much resembles the one Hillary outlined in this piece.

Erpy

May 31, 2018
Watergate offers a better precedent. Then, as now, there was an investigation that found evidence of corruption and a coverup. It was complemented by public hearings conducted by a Senate select committee, which insisted that executive privilege could not be used to shield criminal conduct and compelled White House aides to testify. The televised hearings added to the factual record and, crucially, helped the public understand the facts in a way that no dense legal report could. Similar hearings with Mueller, former White House counsel Donald McGahn and other key witnesses could do the same today.

I'm somewhat skeptical of the comparisons between the Nixon era and today on this matter. Most of the stuff Nixon did happened behind the scenes and when the hearings were held, they were covered by a mainstream press that mostly consisted of 3 TV channels and a handful of national newspapers that had a large amount of public trust, so when they said "Look these hearings are revealing some shady shit that's really not okay" that actually mattered. (the country was also a lot less polarized) Heck, it was the media's role in conveying the results of the hearings that made a certain Nixon aide think to himself: "What this country needs is an alternative media system to make sure no Republican president is ever impeached for corruption again".

A lot of shady shit Trump's pulled has been out in the open and public opinion on Trump has been largely set in stone. I find it hard to believe anything any hearings bring to light is gonna make a large difference on that since Republicans will stick with Trump no matter what and everyone else already knows he's a crook.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Fair, measured and well-reasoned, which is why it will be an unpopular stance in online conversations.
I think because she has been gone and out of the public eye and service (She no longer has a position in Washington correct?) She can afford to take this approach.

Like she doesn't have to worry about voters, people's opinions or reactions because she is no longer there.

It's amazing how rationale people can be when they step away

NookSports

Oct 27, 2017
I think this is a rather constructive and impressive piece.

A few things that needed to be said:

In other words, get past this debate over whether or not we should impeach the president and begin an impeachment inquiry. With this, Hillary Clinton has effectively put her weight behind the idea that Congress should begin the process of impeachment. This is helpful.

Responding to the Mueller report also means taking seriously the picture it painted of our vulnerability to foreign election interference, it's both pathetic and straight up scary that our president doesn't seem to especially care about that issue, and Congress should take substantial action on its own.

No one should think that refusing to start the process of impeachment is somehow "safer," or without significant risk. In that situation, Congress would be abdicating one of its most important responsibilities: holding the president accountable. And that wouldn't be without consequences.

Finally, an important point...

...look at this tweet through that lens:

No, right now most of the public doesn't seem to support impeachment. But not only has that not been a prerequisite to beginning the process in the past, informing the public has specifically been a significant function of that process.

Overall, I still feel conflicted on this question, but I've increasingly been leaning toward thinking we should walk a path that very much resembles the one Hillary outlined in this piece.

This is what I've been saying. Impeachment seems impossible until it doesn't.

Hillary is 100% on point

blinky

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
She's right, and she's also probably the worst possible person to make this argument. Let other people -- like, say, the current Speaker of the House of Representatives -- take the lead here.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Which is it?

I guess he really hasn't been out front about any issues that I've seen. Where has he been politically active? I remember about 8 speeches from the 2018 election season, but nothing else really that's been very prominent.
Only thing I know he's doing is trying to fix gerrymandering with Holder. I don't mind if he just sits out, America stressed a Black President to the point where melanin couldn't even help him. He owes his focus to his family.
He avoided a depression. Last time that happened, a po' White lady sold her kids for food and someone took a black n white photo of it.

Oct 26, 2017
But doesn't most of what she say fall apart if republicans refuse to join in the investigation? I mean she should be well aware that they are trying to bury this and move to investigate her instead...again. They are already blocking the subpoenas and investigations she states they should be doing first.

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Only thing I know he's doing is trying to fix gerrymandering with Holder. I don't mind if he just sits out, America stressed a Black President to the point where melanin couldn't even help him. He owes his focus to his family.

He avoided a depression. Last time that happened, a po' White lady sold her kids for food and someone took a black n white photo of it.
Fair enough. But these are unprecedented times.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Da fuq? I missed this. Source?
https://www.resetera.com/threads/in-push-for-2020-election-security-nielsen-was-warned-don't-tell-trump-nyt.113337/
But doesn't most of what she say fall apart if republicans refuse to join in the investigation? I mean she should be well aware that they are trying to bury this and move to investigate her instead...again. They are already blocking the subpoenas and investigations she states they should be doing first.
No, because you get months of televised hearings. This is not the "right to trial" GOP fuckery from Clinton, this is the slow deliberate Watergate stuff.

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
Terrible imo.

Terrible.

That's not a valid reason to not investigate.

hendersonhank

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's not a valid reason to not investigate.

I'm not saying they shouldn't investigate and find every crime this creep has ever committed.

I'm saying they have enough now for impeachment and shouldn't send the message that the Republicans are right, the investigations so far HAVEN'T uncovered anything worth doing anything about.