• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 3812

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Breaking news coming from WaPo that Rep. Conyers has retired effective Tuesday, December 5th: https://www.washingtonpost.com/powe...breaking-news&pushid=5a26bb73edb3621d00000092

Rep. John Conyers Jr. (D-Mich.) retired Tuesday after facing multiple allegations that he had sexually harassed female aides.

From a hospital in Detroit, the 88-year-old congressman said Tuesday that he is endorsing his son to replace him in Congress.

"My legacy can't be compromised or diminished in any way by what we're going through now. This, too, shall pass. My legacy will continue through my children," Conyers said in an interview with a local radio station.

Conyers, the longest-serving member of Congress, has been under pressure from Democratic leaders to resign since several former staffers alleged that he made inappropriate advances toward them over the past two decades. He has denied wrongdoing.

"He is not resigning. He is going to retire," the younger Conyers told the paper. "His doctor advised him that the rigor of another campaign would be too much for him just in terms of his health."

Digital

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
My legacy can't be compromised or diminished in any way by what we're going through now. This, too, shall pass. My legacy will continue through my children

Dramatic ass lmao

Zelas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean I would have always been open to a fresh start with his son but that statement actually works against him. What an idiot.

Carfo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
one of the women who claims he sexually harassed her just wants an acknowledgement and an apology, hopefully he does so

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Good riddance.

Also, it was sad and alarming to see people rallying in support of Conyers yesterday.
If I ever find myself at a rally in support of a sexual harassing piece of trash I'll know that something went very wrong in my life.

PhoenixDark

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
White House
Obviously he did many great things but his legacy is indeed tarnished. My cousin met him about 20 years ago and he made sexually inappropriate comments to her in his office. Side note: she also met John Dingell and said he was great.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Good, between his health and harassment issues it was time for him to step down. What is his son like? Doesn't seem like a good look for a disgraced politician to endorse his son to replace him

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Only if it can be secured by another Dem. Not saying that Franken should pull a Roy Moore but we really need to hold every seat we can and just being the "moral victors" isnt going to cut it anymore when fighting an opposition of literal pedophiles and criminals.
It's much more likely that Franken resigns and is replaced by a dem then Franken/the party does nothing and a Republican doesn't oust him in his re-election.

Xe4

Oct 25, 2017
Good, the trash gotta go.
Only if it can be secured by another Dem. Not saying that Franken should pull a Roy Moore but we really need to hold every seat we can and just being the "moral victors" isnt going to cut it anymore when fighting an opposition of literal pedophiles and criminals.
He would be. TBH, I think he should go through an inquiry first and then resign. The more this gets brought to light the better.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
Good.

So we should also elect criminals and pedophiles?

Meauxse

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA

No. It's wrong, you know it's wrong, everyone does. Ethics matter.

Shouldn't even be a question.

DoggosPuppersWoofers

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh democrats, when will you learn?

The path to success is deny, deny, deny, and running the most despicable people. You just got to own it. America loves it. Soon to be proven again by Roy Moore.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
After John Conyers retires, his Congressional seat will remain vacant for 11 months

Michigan's Republican governor announced Friday that Democrat John Conyers' congressional seat will not be filled until the regularly scheduled November election, leaving it vacant for nearly a year.

Gov. Rick Snyder decided the post will be listed twice on the August primary and November general election ballots. While unlikely, it is possible voters could choose one candidate to fill the vacancy until January 2019 and elect another to a full two-year term after that.

It is unusual for a congressional district to stay vacant for so long, according to a review of roughly 100 vacancies and successors listed on the House website for the last 20 years. The longest time a seat stayed empty was about 10 months — both in 2014, when Rep. Melvin Watt of North Carolina left to head the Federal Housing Finance Agency, and 2006, when Rep. Bob Menendez of New Jersey was appointed to the Senate.

Snyder said he opted against having an earlier special election to give potential candidates ample time to decide about running, provide voters in the predominantly Democratic district more options and save money.
https://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/s...ill-remain-vacant-n828076?cid=sm_npd_nn_tw_ma

Edit: What ever the spin is from governor I can't, but think this move is purely political and meant to boost GOP's majority

Deleted member 13628

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
These people should go but if dems think this "moral victory" will earn them any political capital, they are sorely mistaken. It will make them look weaker. Repubs will point out all the dems having to resign over misconduct and how none of their members have to do that.

Oct 25, 2017
These people should go but if dems think this "moral victory" will earn them any political capital, they are sorely mistaken. It will make them look weaker. Repubs will point out all the dems having to resign over misconduct and how none of their members have to do that.
This will happen to some degree but I think it's irrational to believe the optics aren't worse for democrats if they don't go.

BeastJesus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

On the other hand Dems can point out how the GOP tolerates sexual predators and pedophiles, while the Dems don't. We don't know how public perception of all these scandals will play out until the elections. I personally think the Dems are making the right moves and it will benefit them in the long run.

Deleted member 13628

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This will happen to some degree but I think it's irrational to believe the optics aren't worse for democrats if they don't go.
Not really. If Franken and the like keep their jobs, then the status quo of "both sides are shit" remains and business goes on as usual.

Now what will these low information people think? "Oh, I guess the dems were even worse. Look at all their people resigning. Trump 2020 let's make america great!" These people don't look at anything beyond the headline. And it's more often the Fox news headline they're seeing.

Oct 25, 2017
Not really. If Franken and the like keep their jobs, then the status quo of "both sides are shit" remains.

Now what will these low information people think? "Oh, I guess the dems were even worse. Look at all their people resigning. Trump 2020 let's make america great!"
The right is stupid, but not a monolith.

There are plenty of people on the right who are disgusted by people like Moore. Maybe the sum of everything including Moore moves them to vote Dem or abstain. Maybe it doesnt. Maybe the Dems stepping down makes that voter look even more unfavorably on the GOP, maybe it doesn't.

But what I do know is that by not stepping down, they WILL absolutely, unambiguously be giving moral cover to the GOP. That will make it easier for more voters to excuse people like Moore so they can continue voting R. It WILL NOT win anyone over to the dems, from the right or anywhere else. It WILL suppress the dem vote, if not make people switch parties entirely. It WILL fuel the belief that you can just deny any allegations against a politician if you don't want them to be true.

And most important of all, if Democrats really stand behind any of their beliefs, excusing this behavior is unacceptable regardless of political consequences.

Also the current status quo, specifically the perception of the American voter, is not something the Dems want to stay the way it is. The "both sides" shit hurts the good guys and helps the bad guys, naturally.