• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
I just don't understand why it's so fucking hard to admit your ancestors made mistakes.
Because it means admiting a problem that needs correcting. For much of white America, actual acknowledgement of the sins of slavery and racism in general means having to fundamentally change so much about present day America to actually fully repent for those atrocities. By sanitizing, ignoring or outright wiping them from history they can claim their ancestors were heroes and that nothing about the past affects the present.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Another point of how the confederacy has been rebranded is that the "confederate flag" was just a battle standard; it wasn't intended to be the actual proper flag of the confederacy. Two of the actual confederate flags were primarily white as an explicit symbol of white supremacy.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The US really needs a better basic history education system. For this, and many other reasons.
While our education system could always use an upgrade, the real problem here is there's independent interest groups wanting to push this narrative and if you try to suppress it they yell "free speech" and suddenly everyone around you gets cold feet. We need to get over the idea that all speech is worthwhile before we can even begin to push back against this.

Alternatively you can fight propaganda with even louder propaganda but I doubt your flaky allies would be willing to establish a liberal propaganda machine.

Francesco

Nov 22, 2017
While our education system could always use an upgrade, the real problem here is there's independent interest groups wanting to push this narrative and if you try to suppress it they yell "free speech" and suddenly everyone around you gets cold feet. We need to get over the idea that all speech is worthwhile before we can even begin to push back against this.
That is also fucked.
But most people I talk to in this country have no idea wtf is happened before 1945. And after.

bremon

Oct 27, 2017
Because they don't want to accept the fact that if their ancestors actually received their well-earned punishment, they wouldn't exist.
Yeah, that's just ridiculous. They should still reconcile with the fact that grave mistakes were made, considering each of us is here by the result of uncountable small decisions and circumstances.

Because it means admiting a problem that needs correcting. For much of white America, actual acknowledgement of the sins of slavery and racism in general means having to fundamentally change so much about present day America to actually fully repent for those atrocities. By sanitizing, ignoring or outright wiping them from history they can claim their ancestors were heroes and that nothing about the past affects the present.
Yeah, this reason for their denial makes sense. No guilt, no acceptance of the fact that they didn't "bootstrap" their way to whatever their station in life; they stepped on people. It certainly doesn't help that there's so much media that romanticizes the rebels and popularizes the tropes of the southern belle, southern hospitality, "good old boys", "kind slave owners" and all that bullshit like the confederacy is some lost city of Atlantis.

They didn't even properly punish the rebels and yet their leaders are still martyrs.

Oct 25, 2017
Another point of how the confederacy has been rebranded is that the "confederate flag" was just a battle standard; it wasn't intended to be the actual proper flag of the confederacy. Two of the actual confederate flags were primarily white as an explicit symbol of white supremacy.

If a bunch of neo-confederates were flying the stars and bars I imagine most people wouldn't even know what the hell they were promoting.

Alternatively you can fight propaganda with even louder propaganda but I doubt your flaky allies would be willing to establish a liberal propaganda machine.

Our education definitely needs work and could help with this (I mean the guy is leaning on a 50s-era book because none of the history texts, even the most soft-pedaling ones you could choose, would support his version of events) but at some point no presentation of facts that critically harms your worldview is going to make a difference.

The guy's entire line of argumentation is about taking an atypical fact and trying to turn that into a truth. So the masters who didn't treat their property abhorrently become "they were mostly kindly masters" to "well it wouldn't have made economic sense to mistreat their slaves, so they didn't"; the black soldiers who fought for the South (some voluntarily, some basically out of necessity or by force) become proud confederate soldiers, ignoring those that fled to join the Union or the particular horrors visited upon black POWs; and the non-slavery reasons for succession are hyped up to argue that slavery wasn't a key component. He starts with actual facts and then twists them in a funhouse mirror to arrive at his defense, which also helps to explain why he's so resistant to having his mind changed; he's looked at the evidence and already selected the narrow path through them that would support his worldview.

Surprised the guy didn't bring up the few black slaveholders in the antebellum south to try and buttress his claims too. Seemed like it would have come right after the "most white southerners didn't own slaves" smokescreen.

OP
OP
BossAttack

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
I just enjoy how he outs himself as a racist while proclaiming not to be in the same sentence when he says that enslaved blacks "weren't ready for the civic responsibility" that freedom entailed.

That's right, us pea brain niggas couldn't understand the concept of freedom and fair elections. No master, we needed it to be gradually, slowly, introduced to us such that we wouldn't get too confused and causing a ruckus.

Having grown up in the south and then escaped to travel basically everywhere, in hindsight it really seems like a bizarre alternate reality. The confederate identity is taken for granted and worked into everything. Even when it isn't openly stated as such, and maybe not even recognized, the attitude is still there.

shnurgleton

Oct 27, 2017
Boston
some people desperately have the need to think of themselves as good people, even if it requires believing in and propogating blatant and destructive falsehoods

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017
Still, in the end, he acknowledged, we are all our parents' children. "Sometimes in the zeal to give equal rights, the pendulum swings too far," he said. "That's where my father was at. This is a horrible example, but it's like slavery. … I understand if you were a slave, you wanted freedom now. But there were people questioning, 'How do you just turn them loose?' You had to prepare them. And I think that really goes to desegregation. My father thought it needed to be incremental, done in a reasonable manner. 'Let's not rush into it.'
Not a racist but describes freeing slaves like letting dogs out.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
No one wants to believe that they are the bad guy.

Its easier to just believe in bullshit fantasy instead of say that your ancestors were garbage human beings.

Cocaloch

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Where the Fenians Sleep
Lincoln was originally interested in preserving the union and not in ending slavery.

But the Confederate states all state in their original founding documents that they broke away entirely because of slavery and their desire to oppose the state rights of the northern states who would not "return" their run away "property." They were anti state rights, and founded on slavery. The exact opposite of everything they pretend now.

But, sure. They're right about Lincoln not explicitly being invested in ending slavery in the beginning. But he came around.

The southern states... I'm still not sure they're there.

The North was always much more interested in the Union than ending slavery. Doesn't mean the war wasn't about slavery since as you point out the states only left to preserve it.

One of the key problems, as you saw in that thread yesterday, is that people don't respect experts in general.

Americans on the whole, and this is not at all limited to the right, aren't interested at all in actual historians. People only care when it backs up something they already believe.

For one thing most of the narratives in this thread are still incredibly superficial.

Last edited:

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Having grown up in the south and then escaped to travel basically everywhere, in hindsight it really seems like a bizarre alternate reality. The confederate identity is taken for granted and worked into everything. Even when it isn't openly stated as such, and maybe not even recognized, the attitude is still there.
A lot of liberals, of the "we have to heal this country" variety, needs to realize this. There's no compromise to be had when you don't even really share the same history.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As always, I maintain Andrew Johnson's milquetoast Reconstruction makes him the worst President in our history.

Deleted member 4346

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There's such a lot to unpack here. This man (and his wife) are delusional. He's living in a state of extreme self-denial. However, obsessive as he is, I've heard some similar sentiments from many white Americans I've spoken with over the years. It's usually the "my ancestors didn't own slaves so why do I owe you shit?" But also "the Civil War was about states' rights."

I will say this:
'How do you just turn them loose?' You had to prepare them. And I think that really goes to desegregation. My father thought it needed to be incremental, done in a reasonable manner. 'Let's not rush into it.'

Has been used in modern times to justify the continuation of other horrors by the United States. It's essentially the moderate creed- "let's not do anything drastic no matter how awful the situation."

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Cause to admit other means everything is a lie, their life, success, what they believe, the country they love, the government, the police, the negative representation of black people. Their world shatters, and it's not just southern whites. It's America completely.

stupei

Oct 26, 2017
The North was always much more interested in the Union than ending slavery. Doesn't mean the war wasn't about slavery since as you point out the states only left to preserve it.

One of the key problems, as you saw in that thread yesterday, is that people don't respect experts in general.

Americans on the whole, and this is not at all limited to the right, aren't interested at all in actual historians. People only care when it backs up something they already believe.

For one thing most of the narratives in this thread are still incredibly superficial.

It was 100% about slavery, we agree. I was simply pointing out the one fact they were correct about while also showing that the motivation from the north doesn't in any way negate the fact that slavery was the entire motivating factor for the south.

People who practice this kind of historic revisionism only look at the one true thing they think supports their case while conveniently ignoring the actual printed documents where the southern states very clearly say they're doing this because of slavery.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
The US really needs a better basic history education system. For this, and many other reasons.

A significant portion of the American population believes there are virtues and nuances of the Confederacy that must be preserved. And this isn't just in the South: my history class made me regurgitate Lost Cause in order to pass, and I was in New York. In Westchester.

To change the education system, you need to change this fundamental mentality.

TerminusFox

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
And the irony is they keep saying shit like the Democrats were bad because they were associated with the Confederacy and slavery, but the Confederacy was great and we need even more monuments to it.

Like...what?

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
If southern whites cared so much about the slaves then why did they murder and terrorize them after they were freed?

Pata Hikari

Banned
Jan 15, 2018
Of course they know it's about slavery.

They just know saying that they support that part aloud will get them in trouble so they lie about it and give other reasons.

Trying to educate them is pointless because you're engageing with a lie they dont actually believe in.

Nov 26, 2018
I used to live in rural upstate New York, and I saw confederate Stars and Bars there. It's obviously not about "Southern Heritage". Have southerns ever really made a contribution to their "culture" anyway?

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Let's not forget the famous and long popular quote like that proved that Robert E. Lee believed that slavery is wrong. The one that proved that it was actually a good guy leading the whole thing.

Robert E Lee said:
In this enlightened age, there are few I believe, but what will acknowledge, that slavery as an institution, is a moral & political evil in any Country. It is useless to expatiate on its disadvantages.

And let's also not forget how from the next fucking line of the same letter he went on to talk at length about what a great thing slavery was and justifying doing nothing to stop it. The 1856 ancestor of "thoughts and prayers".

Robert E Lee said:
I think it however a greater evil to the white man than to the black race, & while my feelings are strongly enlisted in behalf of the latter, my sympathies are more strong for the former. The blacks are immeasurably better off here than in Africa, morally, socially & physically. The painful discipline they are undergoing, is necessary for their instruction as a race, & I hope will prepare & lead them to better things. How long their subjugation may be necessary is known & ordered by a wise Merciful Providence. Their emancipation will sooner result from the mild & melting influence of Christianity, than the storms & tempests of fiery Controversy. This influence though slow, is sure. The doctrines & miracles of our Saviour have required nearly two thousand years, to Convert but a small part of the human race, & even among Christian nations, what gross errors still exist! While we see the Course of the final abolition of human Slavery is onward, & we give it the aid of our prayers & all justifiable means in our power, we must leave the progress as well as the result in his hands who sees the end; who Chooses to work by slow influences; & with whom two thousand years are but as a Single day. Although the Abolitionist must know this, & must See that he has neither the right or power of operating except by moral means & suasion, & if he means well to the slave, he must not Create angry feelings in the Master; that although he may not approve the mode which it pleases Providence to accomplish its purposes, the result will nevertheless be the same; that the reasons he gives for interference in what he has no Concern, holds good for every kind of interference with our neighbors when we disapprove their Conduct; Still I fear he will persevere in his evil Course. Is it not strange that the descendants of those pilgrim fathers who Crossed the Atlantic to preserve their own freedom of opinion, have always proved themselves intolerant of the Spiritual liberty of others?

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
I used to live in rural upstate New York, and I saw confederate Stars and Bars there. It's obviously not about "Southern Heritage". Have southerns ever really made a contribution to their "culture" anyway?
I have to imagine that the people you're talking about aren't talking from any historical standpoint, but I do believe that New York, at least New York City, was actually a major supporter of the south at one point because they were a major business partner. Don't forget that a large part of the support for abolition was economical; not out of any concern for enslaved people, but because they just thought people should go where the money is and switch over to immigrant labour.

HomokHarcos

Jul 11, 2018
Canada
That was due to a conspiracy theory called The Lost Cause. I'm not sure exactly how it happened, but I think the Union was trying to appease the south.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
That was due to a conspiracy theory called The Lost Cause. I'm not sure exactly how it happened, but I think the Union was trying to appease the south.

It's due to an organization called the United Daughters of the Confederacy whose entire purpose was to create the Lost Cause narrative.

Caz

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Not a conspiracy so much as a movement among southern historians to revise the reason for "The Southern Cause", namely by framing it as the Confederacy fighting for state rights.

Oct 26, 2017
South Carolina
'Cause Great Grandpappy took up arms to defend the rich folks in that big house down on the water's way of life from the northern aggressors sounds a lot better.

Fixed, then they got their leg/head blown off at Antietam. Just ask NC!

There's a reason a ton of rich post-bellum leaders were scared shitless and started this. Hog farmers/ranchhands/lumberjacks/swamp people figuring out the leadership don't really care about them just like the leaders' forefathers didn't care about the hillfolk in the Appalachians but did ask them to do the above, and the same later once The New South came in on the bulldozer with Civil Rights in one hand and air conditioning in the other.

Oct 25, 2017
Not a conspiracy so much as a movement among southern historians to revise the reason for "The Southern Cause", namely by framing it as the Confederacy fighting for state rights.

...and I get a four minute ad from Ben Shapiro when I click on that video. Wheee

It's amusing that the article's premise hinges on the assumption that southern whites are not lying.

Ain't lying if you actually believe it.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
I had a friend in highschool that didn't think the flag was offensive and that the south fought for States rights, not specifically slavery and stuff. I tried so, so hard to convince him that it wasn't the case but I could never convince him. It sucked but I had to let him go. A combination of pride, and being a fucking idiot.

Pata Hikari

Banned
Jan 15, 2018
Ain't lying if you actually believe it.

They don't.

Stop assuming good faith from bigots.

They know full well the Civl War was about slavery. They know this and support it.

They wish that black people were still in chains, they just know that society won't tolerate that. So other reasons have been made up. Polite sounding reasons.

It's why they can say that the Confederacy was about State's rights and noble fighters while also claiming that the Democrats were on wrong side of the civil war. The positions aren't meant to be consistent. They're meant to provide a fig leaf to cover their real beliefs.

phonicjoy

Banned
Jun 19, 2018
Textbooks across the country tend to exclude the fact that the Confederacy existed solely for the purpose of perpetuating slavery. Nearly every state that seceded wrote that slavery was the core issue and that the north had no right to their property. This information isn't hard to find. The white folks ignoring this fact are choosing not to come to terms with their own racism, because the cost of doing so means eschewing their precious confederate fantasy.

If there is one single tell of which folks are racist or have those tendencies, it's admiration for the confederacy.

From an outside perspective, it is kind of hard to find. It's undeniable, but racist have done a pretty good job in covering that up.

Pooh

Oct 25, 2017
The Hundred Acre Wood

Snack12367

Oct 28, 2017
years and years and years and years of poor education and misinformation campaigns.

This. The narrative he speaks about isn't new. It's been around since before the Civil War. How the South repeatedly had to write new laws that allowed them to keep their slave, bend the rules of democracy so that they could protect their "property" from the tyranny of the North. If you go google it, there are even articles written at the time that use the same crap when it comes to hate laws today. A line I read when I was reading up on this a few years ago we pretty much , if they ban owning slaves, maybe they'll decide to ban owning sheep.

It's just amazing to me that this shit continues to this day.

Fergie

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
England m8.
06textbook-web-facebookJumbo.jpg