• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ratcliffja

Oct 28, 2017
What about the Taliban stuff from a couple weeks ago? Could this be related if it's something that was talked about for a while?

Captjohnboyd

Oct 25, 2017
What is it suggesting, in plain terms?
That he made a "promise" to Putin. That promise may have involved outing a Russian asset spying for us thus putting his life in danger. Or, given this is Trump we're talking about here, it could be something much worse. Either way promise or promises to Putin were made and they seem to have fallen outside the normal purview of a president to set policy

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
That he made a "promise" to Putin. That promise may have involved outing a Russian asset spying for us thus putting his life in danger. Or, given this is Trump we're talking about here, it could be something much worse. Either way promise or promises to Putin were made and they seem to have fallen outside the normal purview of a president to set policy

if it comes out that he was going to out a spy for Russia. Thats the end of him. Period.

Captjohnboyd

Oct 25, 2017
if it comes out that he was going to out a spy for Russia. Thats the end of him. Period.
One would hope but I never have faith in the GOP to do the right thing.

The fact is a spy was exfiltrated expeditiously which is unusual enough to have been remarked upon at the time and it came days after his phone call. It wouldn't surprise me at all if the IC caught wind of his call and got the spy out of Dodge quick without consulting the trump administration. I would think this is enough to bring him down but who knows

dabig2

Oct 29, 2017
The level of insanity to his and others' fuckery these last few months has been pretty wild huh?

Lol seriously. And a week before that Putin phone call was of course the Mueller testimony (Jul 24) and then of course the judiciary launching impeachment inquiry by requesting grand jury material on 7/26.

And of course just a couple weeks before that, Epstein was arrested on 7/7. He's injured 7/25. And then he's dead 8/10, just a couple days before this whistleblower log.

And that's just off the top of my already high head. Been a busy few months.

chadskin

Oct 27, 2017

devilhawk

Oct 27, 2017
The last month has also included backing out as well as other changes in our Ukraine support policies.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The other thing to consider - or rather remember - is that if Trump volunteered an outlandish promise to Putin (eg) that was captured by intelligence and rose to the level of what looks like the most senior intelligence ousters since - oh shit since multiple quite recent partings, firings and resignations it means :

1. Other promises were almost certainly made in opaque unreported events.

2. The nature of the leverage over Trump must be astronomical and historic in its gravity.

3. Trump is so pathetic and greedy that the nature of the leverage might also simply be as trivial as legal financial debt. I doubt it but it's almost as disturbing as the "murdered a hooker" extreme.

4. Our current intelligence apparatus is hopelessly compromised and effectively at the disposal of our greatest enemies including via Saudi Arabia Al Qaeda in a proxy sense.

Last edited:

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not getting my hopes up. Republicans barely even give reactions to Trump's daily scandals any more. I can't imagine anything he could say to Putin that would make them pretend to care. Trump's been kissing dictators' asses and shitting on our allies since his first day in office.

If this is on another level than the laundry list of shit Trump's already done, maybe it gives the House enough votes to impeach. Don't hold your breath for anything further than that.

Ac30

Oct 30, 2017
London
One possibility, yeah. Though I don't think a promise like that, at least as long as Putin promised tangible steps to normalize relations in return, would warrant a whistleblower complaint.

Yeah, if it's just sanctions relief there wouldn't be a whistleblower (and the admin wouldn't go this far to keep them quiet).

dabig2

Oct 29, 2017
The last month has also included backing out as well as other changes in our Ukraine support policies.

Yeah, changes including the Biden dirt grab from Ukraine by holding their funds hostage, itself its own impeachable and despicable offense.

That story came out 9/9, because it's when we found out that 3 House committees were launching investigations into it. Curiously, that same day the ICIG informs Schiff of the whistleblower...

Hopefully the dude's testimony helps clear up some questions for the intelligence committee. What was happening in the 2 weeks between being notified of the whistleblower and then informing the newly hired acting DNI? What were all the teps, process, and who were the people involved in that 2 week investigation. Did he have misgivings about anyone in the IC, including Maguire himself? And so on.

And then they compare answers to Maguire, who I hope they threaten and hold in inherent contempt if he fails to show or tries to pull a lying corey in his hearing.

I'm not following. Did Trump give Putin the names of our spies?

Don't know. Everything is conjecture and amateur spitballing by everyone who's not involved with the whistleblower. It could involve stuff that entirely not on our radar or ever made remotely public.

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I'm not getting my hopes up. Republicans barely even give reactions to Trump's daily scandals any more. I can't imagine anything he could say to Putin that would make them pretend to care. Trump's been kissing dictators' asses and shitting on our allies since his first day in office.

If this is on another level than the laundry list of shit Trump's already done, maybe it gives the House enough votes to impeach. Don't hold your breath for anything further than that.

If Trump gets taken down it will be death by 1,000 paper cuts but some cuts will be much much larger.

And if he gets taken down they'll immediately say he's too unhealthy for <fill in the blank>.

I'm not following. Did Trump give Putin the names of our spies?

It was a promise to do something, or not do something.

If it has to do with Putin, Helsinki just got interesting again

It was way way newer than Helsinki.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
If Trump gets taken down it will be death by 1,000 paper cuts but some cuts will be much much larger.

And if he gets taken down they'll immediately say he's too unhealthy for <fill in the blank>.

It was a promise to do something, or not do something.

It was way way newer than Helsinki.
I'm saying if it's not the first time this type of language has been used, that makes the already very shady Helsinki meeting even more curious.

Mr Swine

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
Doesn't Trump hate US spies? I remember reading that he really dislikes the US spying on other countries (I guess it means Russia, NK and SA).

I guess he probably wants to defund the IC and rely only on Russia?

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
President can do anything. Trump. This won't go anywhere.

Although I still think this kind of defeatist reductive hot take is generally wrong and unhelpful I have definitely lost whatever right I had to blame anyone for typing it.

But to close, here's a properly thought out defeatist prediction hot take -- I don't think it "won't go anywhere" and in fact I'm 100% positive it will drag out, expose Barr and the JD further, Republicans in power will be silent and Lindsay Graham will finally realize that he can't split the difference on Trump and Russia and will stop pretending to care about national security.

Dems will do lots of serious and meaningful things like subpoena and attempt to investigate and they will be stymied at every turn and fail at much of it. People will misplace blame on the Dems not doing it right or not simply bundling Trump into a Cia van and the thin veneer of checks and balances that was permanently vaporized during Bush Gore will be consigned to the dysentery furnace of history.

The media will report the fact that the president is literally betraying the US to Putin and trying to help assassinate a us intelligence asset with the same seriousness as Joe Biden's Corn Pop speech but without the follow up confirmation of fact. They will stop reporting it within a week and move onto Trump's next scandal.

The dem candidates will continue to gently eat each other and the tertiary candidates will first attack each other then sic their fans on the leading candidate and ensure that the most problematic and beatable candidate gets across the finish line but fundamentally crippled - and then they'll find the exact mathematical path to a Trump reelection.

Trump meanwhile will dump Pence and be hornswaggled into attaching a competent evil GOP stalwart who will be gunning for the presidency and tip the balance behind the scenes to dump the ravaged Trump and call for unity.

Meanwhile the GOP will use the chaos and criminality to further fuck the constitution and guarantee themselves mathematically irrational majorities for the next twenty years using the giant flood of pure crazy right wing judges to cement it - all without ever having to reform or reach out to new demographics.

Our international power will be diminished and China will take the lead in part by teaming up with Russia to make it happen. Our economy will have tanked irrecoverably in the massive recession Pence replacement will have used as the basis to eject Trump and appear sort of moral.

Doober

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
Doesn't matter so long as the senate and DOJ are in his pocket. Best case scenario is this drips its way through the courts and Trump gets a black eye in the history books, long after he's served and everyone has stopped caring.

Fuck.

Primal Sage

Virtually Real
Nov 27, 2017
My theory:

The call was with Netanyahu (Israleli PM) and Trump promised him complete support in annexing whatever Palestinian lands he wants to take.

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
I think we can all put to bed the JFK conspiracy theories that the CIA took him out at this point if Trump is getting away with shit like this

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
What's the over/under that if Trump didn't try hide this, it would have been drowned out and just been an historical footnote in an already packed list.

What about this still being forgotten in a couple months.

Ac30

Oct 30, 2017
London
My theory:

The call was with Netanyahu (Israleli PM) and Trump promised him complete support in annexing whatever Palestinian lands he wants to take.

This *still* wouldn't be whistleblower-worthy. Whatever this is, it's massive, but way beyond sanctions relief and backing Bibi (unless Trump promised Putin all of Ukraine in exchange for €50 or some shit).

BrassDragon

Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
My theory:

A lot of the speculation involves foreign policy decisions that are against US interests. However, I doubt it's that: intelligence people are indoctrinated from the go to just collect, analyse and interpret and stay away from policy.

Based on that cultural consideration, I'm pretty sure the internal outrage is about compromised sources and methods, not policy.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how many days news outlets would cover an actual leaked call of Trump selling out an American spy to Putin and signing off with, "I love you, Daddy" before moving onto the next scandal.

Ninhead

Drive-in Mutant
Avenger
Nov 18, 2017
Although I still think this kind of defeatist reductive hot take is generally wrong and unhelpful I have definitely lost whatever right I had to blame anyone for typing it.

But to close, here's a properly thought out defeatist prediction hot take -- I don't think it "won't go anywhere" and in fact I'm 100% positive it will drag out, expose Barr and the JD further, Republicans in power will be silent and Lindsay Graham will finally realize that he can't split the difference on Trump and Russia and will stop pretending to care about national security.

Dems will do lots of serious and meaningful things like subpoena and attempt to investigate and they will be stymied at every turn and fail at much of it. People will misplace blame on the Dems not doing it right or not simply bundling Trump into a Cia van and the thin veneer of checks and balances that was permanently vaporized during Bush Gore will be consigned to the dysentery furnace of history.

The media will report the fact that the president is literally betraying the US to Putin and trying to help assassinate a us intelligence asset with the same seriousness as Joe Biden's Corn Pop speech but without the follow up confirmation of fact. They will stop reporting it within a week and move onto Trump's next scandal.

The dem candidates will continue to gently eat each other and the tertiary candidates will first attack each other then sic their fans on the leading candidate and ensure that the most problematic and beatable candidate gets across the finish line but fundamentally crippled - and then they'll find the exact mathematical path to a Trump reelection.

Trump meanwhile will dump Pence and be hornswaggled into attaching a competent evil GOP stalwart who will be gunning for the presidency and tip the balance behind the scenes to dump the ravaged Trump and call for unity.

Meanwhile the GOP will use the chaos and criminality to further fuck the constitution and guarantee themselves mathematically irrational majorities for the next twenty years using the giant flood of pure crazy right wing judges to cement it - all without ever having to reform or reach out to new demographics.

Our international power will be diminished and China will take the lead in part by teaming up with Russia to make it happen. Our economy will have tanked irrecoverably in the massive recession Pence replacement will have used as the basis to eject Trump and appear sort of moral.

I think you have hit the proverbial nail on the head, my friend.