• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is new. And a big escalation, as the working presumption had been that flunkies were just sucking up to an upset narcissist. It being a direct order is magnitudes worse. (and yes, add it to the impeachment offenses list)

President Trump told his staff that the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration needed to correct a tweet that seemed to contradict his statement that Hurricane Dorian posed a significant threat to Alabama as of Sept. 1, in contrast to what the agency's forecasters were predicting at the time. This led chief of staff Mick Mulvaney to call Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross to tell him to fix the issue, senior administration officials said.

Trump had complained for several days about it, according to senior officials who spoke on the condition of anonymity because of the sensitivity of the matter.
Mulvaney then called Ross but did not instruct him to threaten any firings or make any punitive threats, officials said. He simply told Ross that the agency needed to fix the matter immediately, leading to a new statement that was issued Friday, Sept. 6. The New York Times reported some elements of these events earlier Wednesday.

The NOAA statement criticized the agency's Birmingham Weather Forecast Office for issuing a definitive tweet on Sept. 1 that there would not be "any" impacts from Dorian in the state.

Prior reporting on Ross threatening staffers: https://www.resetera.com/threads/ny...ter-trump’s-dorian-tweets-sources-say.140027/

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
All this because he said a word wrong, but obviously he never does anything wrong, so everyone else has to fall in line.

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
All this because he said a word wrong, but obviously he never does anything wrong, so everyone else has to fall in line.

Yeah, this really is insane to me. Like, literally insane.

I've always thought Trump was a moron, but this is an entirely new level. He knows that no one dwells on any one of his scandals since there are so many. He knows his base doesn't give a shit what he does so long as he continues "telling it like it is" or whatever. Why the hell did he perseverate on something that everyone else would have forgotten about the next day? Why leave so much evidence that you lied to cover something up?

It's really concerning that some people see behavior like this and instead of coming to the conclusion that the man in incompetent, instead think "Well, he must just be strategizing on a whole other level!"

Mr. X

Oct 25, 2017
Guy who is never held accountable continues to get away with it.

/kentbrockman.jpeg

Lundren

Oct 27, 2017
Strange. There were a lot of people talking about how "the left" just couldn't stop talking about pointless things that didn't matter. Could it truly have been that Trump himself kept this story in the news and the media just reported on it as such? I'll have to do some serious introspection.

May 29, 2019
Trump is a sociopath. It will be a good lesson for future generations if we still are only able to analyze the symptoms.

Shoeless

Oct 27, 2017
If, after all this, enough people still vote in 2020 for Trump to get legitimately re-elected, I think we can write off the American Experiment as beyond recovery.

Deleted member 31923

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
When a President can do this and get away with it, you know fascism has hit home. As always, ask yourself the reaction if Obama did all this. The impeachment proceedings would have began yesterday. With Trump...it's just another Wednesday.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
The Chosen Orange put actual days of effort to cover up a completely understandable mistake he made earlier in single unimportant statement. He dragged entire agencies along with him.

Don't grow up to be like this guy.

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Chosen Orange put actual days of effort to cover up a completely understandable mistake he made earlier in single unimportant statement. He dragged entire agencies along with him.

Let's be honest, this is the hardest he's worked all presidency

SpitztheGreat

May 16, 2019
Of all the scandals though, i feel like this one has disproportionally hurt him. There was a poll that showed even Republicans (a minority but not insignificant) were not buying his bullshit. Of all the shit he's done, I would not have though that this one would get traction.

_ifigured

Oct 29, 2017
my appraisal of this guy was completed long ago. fans and apologists, though? still in a fucking maniacal free-fall of impossibility and never heard of a lie syndrome.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Impeachment

Any

Day

Now.
giphy.gif

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
If he wasn't born rich, I wonder if he would have actually gotten treatment for his narcissistic personality disorder at some point in his life.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
Of all the scandals though, i feel like this one has disproportionally hurt him. There was a poll that showed even Republicans (a minority but not insignificant) were not buying his bullshit. Of all the shit he's done, I would not have though that this one would get traction.
If they don't give a shit about all the lies, about all the corruption, why is abusing his authority on the weather service gonna be the straw that breaks the camels back? It's all about being on the winning team, integrity and actual policy doesn't matter.

Of course, it's petty, fucked up bullshit like this that will ensure that once Trump is gone, everyone will pretend never to have agreed with or liked him.

ZealousD

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

I've always thought Trump was a moron, but this is an entirely new level. He knows that no one dwells on any one of his scandals since there are so many. He knows his base doesn't give a shit what he does so long as he continues "telling it like it is" or whatever. Why the hell did he perseverate on something that everyone else would have forgotten about the next day? Why leave so much evidence that you lied to cover something up?

It's really concerning that some people see behavior like this and instead of coming to the conclusion that the man in incompetent, instead think "Well, he must just be strategizing on a whole other level!"

Trump isn't just a moron. He's a sociopath.

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
I was talking about this in Discord last week, it feels almost fitting that this, out of EVERYTHING he's done, is the thing that the news and people and even Trump himself have latched onto as some giant scandal.

Fuckin clown shoes man

Deffers

Banned
Mar 4, 2018
I was talking about this in Discord last week, it feels almost fitting that this, out of EVERYTHING he's done, is the thing that the news and people and even Trump himself have latched onto as some giant scandal.

Fuckin clown shoes man

I like to think it's a hindbrain thing. There's a certain part of the human brain that's totally fine with the rest of the brain chugging actual gallons of fascistic Flavor Aid but starts pumping the brakes the second it realizes this is going to end in them not knowing if a hurricane is going to bulldoze their house or not.

Shoeless

Oct 27, 2017
Of course, it's petty, fucked up bullshit like this that will ensure that once Trump is gone, everyone will pretend never to have agreed with or liked him.

I've always wondered about this reaction. If you're that willing to break laws and defy common sense when he is in power, why suddenly say, "Oh, I never bought it at all, COME ON GUYS! Let's be sensible!" once he's out? What difference does it make at that point to pretend "I was always against him," when everyone has years of evidence that says otherwise?

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
I've always wondered about this reaction. If you're that willing to break laws and defy common sense when he is in power, why suddenly say, "Oh, I never bought it at all, COME ON GUYS! Let's be sensible!" once he's out? What difference does it make at that point to pretend "I was always against him," when everyone has years of evidence that says otherwise?
We have tons of evidence right now for all the crimes that he and his kin have committed and nobody gives a shit, he constantly blatantly lies about literally everything and people let it slide. Evidence doesn't matter, they'll go "oh we were always against him" and people will just nod and the Democrats waving the proof to the contrary will be called crazy and ignored, just like today.

):<

MIMIC

Dec 18, 2017
I fully expect a hurricane to impact Alabama this year with Trump saying that they'll be safe.

WGMBY

Oct 27, 2017
Boston, MA
The way this president constantly insists that reality twist itself to conform to his bullshit is so fucking tiring. Also fuck all of his stooges for actually trying to enact this craziness. I never thought that I would want Don McGahn back.

Jun 6, 2019

Unless you literally want to live in a golden tower on fifth ave and be president one day. In that case, be exactly like this guy. Nothing but rewards for Donald and his ilk.

May 21, 2018

I have met people like this. People who who can't stand looking like they've been defeated. It goes beyond pride. It literally kills them inside, utterly destroys them to feel like they've lost or made a mistake, so they do anything, say anything to avoid being wrong.

RedVejigante

Aug 18, 2018
By this point wouldn't it have been easier to build an actual weather controlling machine to make sure the hurricane hit Alabama?

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017

Fuckin clown shoes man

A lot of Trump's bullshit can be framed as team-oriented (even though it isn't). This is maybe the first one that's unequivically all about his ego. Even his "my crowd was bigger than Obama's" was a left-vs-right fight, sort of. Even his lying about his height/weight could be seen as the left attacking him over trivialities, as a stretch.

But this one is clear. There's no way to un-Toddlerize his dumb Sharpie scribble, nor any believable way to frame his unhinged obsession as anyone else's fault.

You can't even tag this nonsense as "owning the libs". It's just ridiculous, and it's all on him.

Shoeless

Oct 27, 2017
But this one is clear. There's no way to un-Toddlerize his dumb Sharpie scribble, nor any believable way to frame his unhinged obsession as anyone else's fault.

Has Fox, or anyone else, like TheDonald on Reddit laughed contemptuously at the fools that don't think the sharpie balloon was an official print out and "foolishly" believe Trump put it there himself?

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
Has Fox, or anyone else, like TheDonald on Reddit laughed contemptuously at the fools that don't think the sharpie balloon was an official print out and "foolishly" believe Trump put it there himself?

Not that I know of. The (weak af) official narrative seems to be:

A. Alabama was mentioned (days before Trump's tweet).
B. The left won't let this go.

Both of which are blatantly contradicted by Trump's Sharpie map.