• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
HUD Secretary Ben Carson to propose tripling rent for some low-income Americans receiving federal housing subsidies

fjWBGwc.jpg

U.S. Housing and Urban Development Secretary Ben Carson on Wednesday will propose tripling the amount the poorest households are expected to pay for rent as well as encourage those receiving housing subsidies to work, according to the administration's legislative proposal obtained by The Washington Post.

The move to overhaul how low-income rental subsidies are calculated would affect more than 4.5 million families relying on federal housing assistance. The proposal legislation would require congressional approval.

Currently, tenants generally pay 30 percent of their adjusted income toward rent or a public housing agency minimum rent -- which is capped at $50 a month for the poorest families. The administration's legislative proposal sets the family monthly rent contribution at 35 percent of gross income or 35 percent of their earnings working 15 hours a week at the federal minimum wage. Under the proposal, the cap for the poorest families would rise to approximately $150 a month, three times higher than the current minimum.

The Trump administration has long signaled through its budget proposals and leaked draft legislation that it seeks to increase the rents low-income tenants pay to live in federally subsidized housing.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...ral-housing-subsidies/?utm_term=.ebd55d18e440

I guess it was time to get back to making poor a crime again who must all be poor bcuz lazy, led by the most sunken of sunken people Ben Carson. After all,

0Eb2Bpq.jpg

IHrwGZD.jpg

Why should you poors get to have shit like this, living like kings n shit. Bootstraps time, boys and girls.

Jom

Oct 25, 2017
Damn didn't know refrigerators were only for the bourgeois. I guess it's back to drying food and owning a cow for milk then.

Frozenprince

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
$150 a month would literally have killed my family, we'd have been on the street.

What the hell is beating a few dimes out of the poor going to pay for? What the fuck are these services you need this money for, if not for these exact people?

Wilsongt

Oct 25, 2017
They want them to be homeless.

But not in their city.

They'll bus the homeless to other cities, though.

Oct 25, 2017
$150 a month would literally have killed my family, we'd have been on the street.

What the hell is beating a few dimes out of the poor going to pay for? What the fuck are these services you need this money for, if not for these exact people?

Easier to wring every last drop from the weak than to tap the rich and have coins tumble down. For Republicans at least it is.

OP
OP
Dreams-Visions
Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL

Rayne

Oct 25, 2017
Can these people just fall into some dark hole and fuck off.

That'd be nice.

Also this is rich coming from someone who needed a 10k table.

GaimeGuy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So, you'll fuck 4.5 million families over for roughly $5 billion in annual savings?

Jesus Christ conservatives are worse than al qaeda. At least they don't claim to be on our side, and only fuck over a few thousand of us when they succeed.

Sub Level

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Hopefully this proposal is thrown out the window. Raising the percentage of income that goes to rent up by 5% is one thing. Tripling the minimum cap is another.

astroturfing

Nov 1, 2017
Suomi Finland
thats great, provides incentive for the laziest of the lazy poor to WORK harder and really earn some self-respect.

i wish someone would triple all my living costs, i would be so much more succesful in life!

i mean it's evil and doesnt work and i'm being sarcastic and i'm tired and fuck every Trump admin character ugghhhh

demondance

Oct 27, 2017
Wages are stagnant, accounting for inflation they've fallen well below what comparable positions made when all these ghouls in charge now were coming up, and yet American labor is actually more productive than ever before.

Good time to triple the rent and show the working poor what's what!

The goal is to undermine all aspects of the state outside of things like police and military -- as in, the services that best protect the interests of a very narrow slice of people.

Oct 27, 2017
It's just another way to hurt demographics that are politically opposed to them. Forcing the poor to get a second or third minimum wage drudgery labor job and eliminating any opportunity to become politically active.

Strike

Oct 25, 2017
Fuck Ben Carson. It takes a special kind of person to manage to do that not only to people who look like you, but are also in the same circumstances you were in.

Last edited:

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
I expect fresh Fox News-branded "poor ppl have % stuff in their homes!" graphs this week.

Also, I wonder if Dr. Carson (is he still licensed? I wonder) has CTE or something. I understand he had some sort of health issue. I wondered if it may have affected his brain.

Everyone of Trump's appointees has one thing in common.

How can I profit from my position?

Kleptocracy 101

deussupreme

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What's the problem with 35%? Isn't 30%-40% of income what most people pay for housing anyway? I see no issue with this, if I am reading it correctly.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
Decrease taxes on millionaires. Squeeze half a billion dollars out of the poorest Americans just because. Financial institutions recommend that your rent is no more than 25% of your income. Tell people making $110 a week that they need to pay $40 just to have a roof over their heads.

Only thing Carson is missing is a mustache to twirl.

What's the problem with 35%? Isn't 30%-40% of income what most people pay for housing anyway? I see no issue with this, if I am reading it correctly.

I don't pay 35% of my pre-tax income for rent, that's just throwing money away.