• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sectorseven

Oct 25, 2017
From Reuters
THE HAGUE (Reuters) - A Bosnian Croat wartime commander died after swallowing what he said was poison in a U.N. war crimes courtroom on Wednesday after losing an appeal against a 20-year prison sentence, Croatian state TV said.

Slobodan Praljak, 72, died in hospital in the Hague after he was seen drinking from a flask or glass as a U.N. judge read out the ruling against him and five other suspects, state TV reported, citing unnamed sources.

The apparent courtroom suicide, which was broadcast on a video feed, came in the final minutes of the last judgment at the International Criminal Tribunal for the Former Yugoslavia (ICTY), which closes next month.

"I just drank poison," he said. "I am not a war criminal. I oppose this conviction."

After gulping down the drink, Praljak sat back down and slumped in his chair, a lawyer who was in the courtroom at the time said.

U.N. court representatives and Dutch hospital officials declined to comment on his condition.

FYI link has an auto-playing video of the event, but I wouldn't call it disturbing or anything, but a warning none the less.

SJRB

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Saw the video earlier today, didn't expect it to actually work.

How he was able to get it in the courtroom is beyond me, but still. Pretty crazy.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Saw the video earlier today, didn't expect it to actually work.

How he was able to get it in the courtroom is beyond me, but still. Pretty crazy.
I mean, there's all types of poisons, heck allergens can work as poison, and there's a couple chemicals that if you ingest one it lingers in your system for days, and the other part can be seemingly benign until ingested. Thing is those require you knowing you are going to do it. Heck, certain medicines when combined are lethal whether with other chemicals or even alcohol.

Gennady

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Maybe it's for the best this way, though it's interesting to know how he obtained this.

Any Questions

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Highly frustrating for the Hague. Not good having folks kill themselves in court. And on TV. Makes him a marty to his admirers

Deleted member 2533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, there's all types of poisons, heck allergens can work as poison, and there's a couple chemicals that if you ingest one it lingers in your system for days, and the other part can be seemingly benign until ingested. Thing is those require you knowing you are going to do it. Heck, certain medicines when combined are lethal whether with other chemicals or even alcohol.

In the video he drinks from a vial. I don't know how a high-profile war criminal gets a vial of *anything* in the dock.

Status
Not open for further replies.