• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Either frustration or meagre publicity.

those aren't points lol

because I have to spell this out apparently they are saying that Sony is denying them the ability to implement crossplay and they are publicly putting a spotlight on it in an effort to gain awareness that, in the wake of their beta program, Sony is still the one denying developers the ability to implement crossplay.

Balmung421

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Lmao good for them this beta needs to expand/wrap up since cross play is great for everyone

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
those aren't points lol

because I have to spell this out apparently they are saying that Sony is denying them the ability to implement crossplay and they are publicly putting a spotlight on it in an effort to gain awareness that, in the wake of their beta program, Sony is still the one denying developers the ability to implement crossplay.

If what you say is true then a tweet of this sort is fine by me.

No what's unprofessional is Sony's handling of cross-play. Again, this has been proven to be the only to get Sony to cave. No other method has worked.

Not at all. It's up to the platformer provider.

ggx2ac

Sales Heaven or Sales Hell?
Oct 25, 2017
did they get in touch with sony about crossplay or are they just tweeting about it? if they want to be added to the crossplay list that is, that seems like the more prudent thing to do. since it will likely never not be on a developer by developer basis

Or how about the devs just be given crossplay on PS4 and not have to jump through hoops to allow crossplay like Microsoft and Nintendo?

Sony has taken months to allow crossplay via a "Beta" which so far has only applied to Fortnite and Rocket League because they're the biggest games but smaller games need crossplay much more like fighting games otherwise the online communities die out quickly.

Sony is just dragging this shit out with red tape when these "crossplay betas" weren't even needed for games they funded like SFV which has PC and PS4 crossplay.

Nothing is stopping the devs from allowing crossplay in an instant, this is still all on Sony and they're just dragging it out "#4theplayers".

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
people doing a "lol who" about a game that got PS4 branded Hotas retail releases, c'mon folks. There's loads of these games that don't get any discussion here that are popular. Currently has as many players online as FFXIV does on Steam.

Lackless

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Look up unprofessional, please.

In what way do the feelings of an undocumented number of people that disagree with certain platform holder policies count as their "unprofessional" conduct?

By going back-and-forth on their "policies" mutliple times in two weeks time ultimately caving into public pressure. If that's professional to you then I guess we're just going to have to agree to disagree.

MrCarter

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Or how about the devs just be given crossplay on PS4 and not have to jump through hoops to allow crossplay like Microsoft and Nintendo?

I think you know the answer to this question. It's because they are the market leader and clearly don't have anything to lose considering PS4 was still the best selling console in 2018. It of course sucks that there is no cross-play yet but obviously the plans are there - starting with the big F2P games first.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
I guess Sony has been slow to approve games for crossplay. Why it hasn't gone system wide yet is very odd.

Is it only Fortnite and Rocket League at this point?

Deleted member 2145

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Now they're at the back of the line.

do we even think there's a line tho, is the thing

what games have been added to their please stop grilling us over crossplay beta program that only includes, what, two games? am I off, I think it's just Fortnite and Rocket League with them still actively blocking everything else to the point where devs feel inclined to spotlight it on twitter because there isn't another way forward.

Liliana

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
NYC
tenor.gif

Personally if it's going to happen, I would rather a wholesome system-level solution presents itself rather than functionality for certain games in dribs and drabs. The same with backwards compatibility. Don't just bring it out half-assed as and when. Go all in with the preparation and then bring the whole arsenal when you are ready. Plus, I have no idea what people expect these things to happen immediately, or else. Like it's unheard of for a company to deliberate on and plan for something before acting on it.

It is unprofessional, especially if they're a partner.

I'll never understand the corporate apologist mindset. Who cares about a company deliberating on a plan? Why would a consumer/customer even think about that? Calling their statement unprofessional substantiates my first point.

No what's unprofessional is Sony's handling of cross-play. Again, this has been proven to be the only to get Sony to cave. No other method has worked.

This is true.

Soneji

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Sony's own slogan continually being a fair mocking point will never not amuse me.

War Thunder still exists? Wow. Thought it died a long time ago.

As for the topic itself, Sony isn't going to do cross-platform play until PlayStation 5. Doing it now would be such a waste of at this point. Saving it for PS5 day one would be a far better decision.
Future ERA thread title : MEGATON! Sony Just Won E3 by Announcing Crossplay for PS5!

Would continue the trend of Sony getting praise for things that have been industry standard for awhile...or for forever in being able to play used games.

Godzilla24

Nov 12, 2017
Sony's own slogan continually being a fair mocking point will never not amuse me.

Future ERA thread title : MEGATON! Sony Just Won E3 by Announcing Crossplay for PS5!

Would continue the trend of Sony getting praise for things that have been industry standard for awhile...or for forever in being able to play used games.
That wouldn't surprise me to be honest.

Brix

Oct 25, 2017
This is my first time hearing about war thunder. I didn't even know such a game existed. #shocked

Facism

Oct 25, 2017
wish they'd bring up gold being a requirement for f2p on xbox whilst they're in people's champ mode.

[edit]my memory may be faulty here, is Gold no longer a requirement for f2p? Incredible if so, nice.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Only the biggest games getting cross play is frustrating when it's the smaller games that need it most.

Deleted member 40133

Banned
Feb 19, 2018
talk that shit

Sony has still been awful about crossplay. they announced that beta for fortnite just to get the heat off them but haven't really done much else since except continue to be the lone holdout. I think they added rocket league to the beta. bad for devs bad for gamers.

Rocket league is crossplay

Strat

Apr 8, 2018
The ball has been launched into the stratosphere and is on the way to a court on the moon.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
You can laugh, but "#4ThePlayers" is more than accurate since they cater to people who play. Not only this, but that slogan is still more accurate for the vast, vast majority of their base to whom cross-play is not even a secondary thought. The primary focus of what their console is and does hasn't wavered since 2013, but only improved. It's just some people expect immediacy from a feature that isn't really even discussed anymore until some dev tweets about it.