• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean Dauntless announced full crossplay between PS4, XBO, Switch, and PC when they announced the console version. They didn't need to go on twitter and call out Sony to get it.
Issue, I feel, is that it's sporadic. Power Rangers: Battle for the Grid will have cross-play and cross-progression for Xbox One, Switch, and PC. No PS4 cross-play or cross-progression between consoles, but they want to.

https://www.dualshockers.com/power-...erview/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter
T: Why did nWay make the decision to include cross-play and cross-progression between the PC, Xbox One, and Nintendo Switch versions of Power Rangers: Battle for the Grid?

JC: So, we have that technology, it's actually something that we had built out. Here's something that was helping us that we could take over to the console games. The more people you have to play with each other, the better matchmaking can be. Also some people might have a Switch and their friend has an Xbox, now they can play with each other. Of course, it takes a team of server engineers to make this work but luckily we had that. It was a no brainer to put it in because it's just a great experience if you just have more people to play with.

T: Would you like to spread Power Rangers: Battle for the Grid's cross-play to PS4 now that Sony's is taking steps to implement it?

JC: Of course. We'd love every player to play with each other. The more the merrier for sure.

N.Domixis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Sonicfan059

Mar 4, 2018
Its going to happen and they will absolutely gets praise for it. I'll be there praising the moment it's finally unleashed. No praise until it's across all games.
Well, I mean, Microsoft is getting praise now despite denying it during the 360 era. You saying they don't deserve praise because they blocked it previously?

ggx2ac

Sales Heaven or Sales Hell?
Oct 25, 2017
I think you know the answer to this question. It's because they are the market leader and clearly don't have anything to lose considering PS4 was still the best selling console in 2018. It of course sucks that there is no cross-play yet but obviously the plans are there - starting with the big F2P games first.

It's not only because they are the market leader, it's because the PS4 fanbase is apathetic to doing anything about it.

Every Sony fan got mad and shouted #PS4NoDRM and #PS4UsedGames because Sony were planning to block used games like Microsoft at the beginning of the gen.

Now with this crossplay debacle, they are apathetic to it because they don't see any benefit to them. They think because PS4 has the largest userbase that it will benefit Switch and Xbox users more in comparison than them.

That's the wrong way to approach it, not every game has a million online users, some barely have 100 active users, they are screwing themselves by not actively supporting crossplay to keep the smaller games alive.

Market leader doesn't mean shit, people are just looking for excuses to look the other way and say, "It's not important (because it doesn't benefit me, a selfish asshole)."

N.Domixis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's not only because they are the market leader, it's because the PS4 fanbase is apathetic to doing anything about it.

Every Sony fan got mad and shouted #PS4NoDRM and #PS4UsedGames because Sony were planning to block used games like Microsoft at the beginning of the gen.

Now with this crossplay debacle, they are apathetic to it because they don't see any benefit to them. They think because PS4 has the largest userbase that it will benefit Switch and Xbox users more in comparison than them.

That's the wrong way to approach it, not every game has a million online users, some barely have 100 active users, they are screwing themselves by not actively supporting crossplay to keep the smaller games alive.

Market leader doesn't mean shit, people are just looking for excuses to look the other way and say, "It's not important (because it doesn't benefit me, a selfish asshole)."
That's the exact same with the f2p thing on Xbox, the fans dont care so nothing will change.
Every time it's brought out they claim whaaboutism or whatever that word is and that's it.

MrCarter

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I mean, I don't think they are screwing themselves, especially not after seeing their recent revenue stream from just PSN alone - so yes, market leader does mean a lot in this context. I guess the people who really want cross-play (if that's apparently the most appealing thing of a console for them) can buy Switch/Xbox but it seems PS4 is still popular regardless of it.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017

I'm sorry, where was it confirmed that Sony was planning to do the same at the beginning of the gen?

A lot of people (me included) think Sony will go full out on crossplay next gen when everything resets. Having the largest userbase is a factor to some degree from a business perspective when arguing about this point. By allowing crossplay with platforms with smaller populations they're helping to prop up their offerings by giving their players a larger pool of other people to play with. Enabling crossplay also gives some people 1 less reason to consider buying a PS4 in some scenarios, for example if their friends are on PS4 and they have an XB1 then they can either buy a PS4 to play with their friends or with crossplay they don't have to buy a PS4.

I'm not arguing for or against crossplay in the above points, but I am pointing out there are at least some business reasons why they might be hesitant. It's just not something I really care about one way or the other, but it's of course cool if others want to push for the feature. Regardless, Sony has been doing crossplay with other platforms for a very long time now (ie. PC), and willing or not they are working on crossplay with their direct competition now with this beta, but I don't see them going all out on the idea until next gen when everything resets with their respective populations.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
It's not only because they are the market leader, it's because the PS4 fanbase is apathetic to doing anything about it..
PS4 fanbase? The vast majority of any fanbase is apathetic towards even thinking about cross-play, or even knowing what it is.

Sony were planning to block used games like Microsoft at the beginning of the gen.
Yeah... let's not continue to purport this conjecture. That thread and hashtag was created in response to Microsoft committing to DRM and people not wanting Sony to make the same mistake, not that Sony planned it and walked it back. To this day there's been nothing that supports Sony having planned DRM for PS4.

ggx2ac

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, I don't think they are screwing themselves, especially not after seeing their recent revenue stream from just PSN alone -

I'm talking about the PS4 fanbase that is apathetic to crossplay.

I'm sorry, where was it confirmed that Sony was planning to do the same at the beginning of the gen?

The rumour then, the thing that started the movement I linked that you quoted.

If you still don't understand: "Sony patents tech to block used games"

A lot of people (me included) think Sony will go full out on crossplay next gen when everything resets.

And if it doesn't happen? Are we going to wait for the next gen after? Why should it wait when two of the three major competitors are allowing it now with no strings attached?

It's just not something I really care about one way or the other

But you think we should wait and hope it happens when the PS5 comes instead of doing something now?

ggx2ac

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah... let's not continue to purport this conjecture. That thread and hashtag was created in response to Microsoft committing to DRM and people not wanting Sony to make the same mistake, not that Sony planned it and walked it back. To this day there's been nothing that supports Sony having planned DRM for PS4.

So you're saying Sony weren't thinking of doing anything to used games when they did this?
https://www.gamespot.com/articles/sony-patents-tech-to-block-used-games/1100-6401992/

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You can fuck right off with this accusation.

Read back your incessant posts in this thread lol (8 posts on the first page alone). You're the same in every Sony thread. You don't have to defend a billion dollar corporation...

On topic. It's good the developers are calling Sony out. All platform holders should be called out on the subject of multiplatform crossplay.

N.Domixis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So you're saying Sony weren't thinking of doing anything to used games when they did this?
https://www.gamespot.com/articles/sony-patents-tech-to-block-used-games/1100-6401992/
Companies patent things they never use just so they can patent it. It's possible they could have used it but they didn't and that's what matters.
Also what do you think about the fans that throw whataboutism to disregard the fact that ms charges for f2p? It's the same thing.

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, I don't think they are screwing themselves, especially not after seeing their recent revenue stream from just PSN alone - so yes, market leader does mean a lot in this context. I guess the people who really want cross-play (if that's apparently the most appealing thing of a console for them) can buy Switch/Xbox but it seems PS4 is still popular regardless of it.
PSN revenue is why everyone is doing paid online. For that money. Even Nintendo's digital revenue jumped a lot because of their recently launched subscription service.

I dunno what it has to do with what ggx said though. Just because their revenue is high doesn't mean a game will have an active userbase. Smaller games, fighting games and much more having cross-play is a very good thing and can keep a community around the game active longer and more sustainable, instead of being split off and reducing player numbers.

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
Read back your incessant posts in this thread lol (8 posts on the first page alone).

No need, I'm reading yours right now.

But for argument sake, let's get this straight:
- 1 original post
- 1 tongue in cheek post
- 6 replies (I'm not one to ignore people)

If you have an issue with me, atleast phrase your argument in faithful context.

You're the same in every Sony thread. You don't have to defend a billion dollar corporation...

Quit your bullshit. False accusations isn't a good look.

Last edited:

Kage Maru

Oct 27, 2017
Good, more developers need to call out manufacturers on questionable policies. Allowing this costs Sony nothing but they still aren't completely open to the idea.

I'm okay with this but also contact them, I'm there is a line for developers to call.

Chances are they already tried and are now calling them out. Makes no sense to not try and work with Sony first since that would be the easier route.

Deleted member 43077

User requested account closure
Banned
May 9, 2018
something about a ball in sonys court. At this point the employees cant even open the doors to the gym with just how many balls are inside.

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

- 1 original post
- 1 tongue in cheek post

I have no issues with you other than seeing you attack people or jump to the defensive of Sony anytime someone dares say something negative about their hardware, games or services.

It's not a good look.

You don't have to reply to this.

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
I have no issues with you other than seeing you attack people or jump to the defensive of Sony anytime someone dares say something negative about their hardware, games or services.

It's not a good look.

You don't have to reply to this.

I will reply to this post because you're lying.

I'm not defending Sony, this very thread should be proof enough.

I'm not initiating any attacks. Call me corporate apologist then tough luck, I'm not going to hold back.

There's a difference between constructive critism and targeted trolling.

I have never attacked anyone sharing their opinion on Sony hardware or software.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
The rumour then, the thing that started the movement I linked that you quoted.

If you still don't understand: "Sony patents tech to block used games"

Yes I know, I was around during that time frame, and I'm still waiting for you to prove that Sony actually was planning to do that. A patent means absolutely nothing, a SHIT TON of things get patented that never see the light of day. There's no harm in Sony at some point in time thinking about that as an option and filing a patent just in case, they need to cover a lot of possible scenarios depending on how the market goes. Unless you can prove Sony was actually planning to go ahead with this plan then it's just a bunch of people online worrying about nothing.

And if it doesn't happen? Are we going to wait for the next gen after? Why should it wait when two of the three major competitors are allowing it now with no strings attached?

I'm not here to play the what if game with you. We know Sony have been open to crossplay for many, MANY years. We know Sony are working towards crossplay with the other major consoles at this very moment with their beta. Worrying that they'll suddenly fully close up next gen is a waste of energy right now. Wait and see what they do. Sony is apparently being cautious in taking steps that will involve intermingling with their direct competitors, which is something worth at least considering as a business.

As for the dev in this particular thread, maybe I missed it but do we have the full story behind this? Did they go to Sony and Sony said no? Was the dev not happy to go through the process of the beta? It doesn't sound like we have a lot of information on this situation.

But you think we should wait and hope it happens when the PS5 comes instead of doing something now?

Are you purposefully looking to start an argument by leaving out the last of of that very same sentence where I said it's cool if other people want to push for the feature? If so, take your agenda elsewhere cause I have no time for that nonsense.

Oct 25, 2017
Yes I know, I was around during that time frame, and I'm still waiting for you to prove that Sony actually was planning to do that. A patent means absolutely nothing, a SHIT TON of things get patented that never see the light of day. There's no harm in Sony at some point in time thinking about that as an option and filing a patent just in case, they need to cover a lot of possible scenarios depending on how the market goes. Unless you can prove Sony was actually planning to go ahead with this plan then it's just a bunch of people online worrying about nothing.
Dude, you don't patent something like that without the intent, even if it hasn't happened. That's just common sense whether or not you believe they'll do it. Like you're even letting them off with HAVING THE OPTION to begin with. That's some loyalty.

It's not like Sony was like "Oh man, Mondays right? Better patent a method to lock out used media as an option."

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Dude, you don't patent something like that without the intent, even if it hasn't happened. That's just common sense whether or not you believe they'll do it. Like you're even letting them off with HAVING THE OPTION to begin with. That's some loyalty.

It's not like Sony was like "Oh man, Mondays right? Better patent a method to lock out used media as an option."

Do you honestly think everything that gets patented gets implemented? lol

Sony would have done their market research just like Microsoft did at the time and would have concluded that this was a possible direction for the market to go just like Microsoft did. When a conclusion like that is reached a company would typically file a patent so they have some legal backing if the market went that way and they had to defend themselves against claims of violating someone elses patent. So yes, they did simply patent that as a possible future option that they never followed up on. Unless you have more evidence to support this narrative that they were planning to do this before the mighty internet swept in and made them reverse course, then there's nothing more to say.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

- 1 original post
- 1 tongue in cheek post

Lmao, it's not a secret homie. Own it.

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Do you honestly think everything that gets patented gets implemented? lol

Sony would have done their market research just like Microsoft did at the time and would have concluded that this was a possible direction for the market to go just like Microsoft did. When a conclusion like that is reached a company would typically file a patent so they have some legal backing if the market went that way and they had to defend themselves against claims of violating someone elses patent. So yes, they did simply patent that as a possible future option that they never followed up on. Unless you have more evidence to support this narrative that they were planning to do this before the mighty internet swept in and made them reverse course, then there's nothing more to say.
This is also an industry that has frequently tried to ban used games and rentals and brainwash people into thinking that they eat heavily into new game sales.

This has been happening for decades. Hell, it's one reason why a streaming future is so scary. That would be the one avenue these companies would have complete control of and there'd be nothing at all for the customer to do about it.

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sony's saving full crossplay for the launch of PS5, where they'll easily be able to tout it as a huge pro-consumer win. From a PR perspective, it makes sense to make a big splash with it at that time.

As much as I really dont get the fuss about crossplay, this right here is a PR / Public mic drop moment. For that sake, would be hilarious if it's true.

ggx2ac

Oct 25, 2017
Yes I know, I was around during that time frame, and I'm still waiting for you to prove that Sony actually was planning to do that. A patent means absolutely nothing, a SHIT TON of things get patented that never see the light of day. There's no harm in Sony at some point in time thinking about that as an option and filing a patent just in case, they need to cover a lot of possible scenarios depending on how the market goes. Unless you can prove Sony was actually planning to go ahead with this plan then it's just a bunch of people online worrying about nothing

Ok, I can't prove it.

But to claim that patents get published and mean absolutely nothing regarding this patent on blocking used games is also something you can't prove because it's baseless.

This patent to block used games was published a month before the PS4 event in February 2013. The #PS4NoDRM movement happened after Xbox One's reveal event before E3 and, at E3 Sony made videos on sharing used games to knock against Xbox One and gain positive sentiment with fans because of the DRM movement.

All a coincidence because they never, ever, ever, planned to do anything with that patent on blocking used games. They just happened to spend money on publishing a patent and without having any plans to do anything with it, they just wasted money and called it a day.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Deflecting the argument to "there's no proof Sony planned on blocking used games!" is silly.

The point of bringing that up was to say Sony fans clearly were passionate about making their voices heard with that issue, but are completely apathetic to this cross play issue when they should be loud about it.

Stider

Oct 25, 2017
Sony are being adverse with cross-play on PS4 for the same reason Microsoft were with the 360. That is because the biggest winner with cross-play isn't the consumer I think, it's the company that is trailing. For example: Let's say a game with online multiplayer sells 500k on XB1 and 1.5mil on PS4. Now in a non cross-play environment the PS4 should have a much healthier player base right? But with cross-play it doesn't matter which console you play on, so while PS4 users only get an extra 500k people to play with/against, XB1 users gain 1.5mil extra players. Obviously this can also mean less sales for a company as the consumer no longer has to buy a particular system to play with friends or a healthier population etc.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Ok, I can't prove it.

But to claim that patents get published and mean absolutely nothing regarding this patent on blocking used games is also something you can't prove because it's baseless.

This patent to block used games was published a month before the PS4 event in February 2013. The #PS4NoDRM movement happened after Xbox One's reveal event before E3 and, at E3 Sony made videos on sharing used games to knock against Xbox One and gain positive sentiment with fans because of the DRM movement.

All a coincidence because they never, ever, ever, planned to do anything with that patent on blocking used games. They just happened to spend money on publishing a patent and without having any plans to do anything with it, they just wasted money and called it a day.

Yeah, pretty much. Any company who doesn't consider and at least plan for various eventualities is stupid or shortsighted. That's all this is until we hear otherwise. The cost of filing a patent is next to nothing for a company like Sony. Sony has over 130,000 patents granted to them with over 300,000 patent applications. Just for shits and giggles if we take every granted patent they have divided by how many days have passed since Sony opened in 1946 that's an average of 5 patents per day. Do the same for patent applications and that's 11.9 patents per day. Of course they got a lot of their patents via various means over the decades, but I just wanted to show how insignificant the filing of 1 patent is in the grand scheme of things.

And no, I don't hold it against them that they would consider this option. I treat others based on their actions, not based on what they were thinking. With no evidence that Sony ever actually tried to go forward with this plan that's all this is, something they thought could happen and they planned for that eventuality should the market go that way.

We're now over 5 years into this gen. IF they had planned to do this and changed their mind we probably would have heard SOMETHING by now. Probably not from Sony directly in an official capacity since that would probably be bad PR, but from someone with inside sources at Sony, or from an ex employee who doesn't give a shit. But nope, nothing.

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
Issue, I feel, is that it's sporadic. Power Rangers: Battle for the Grid will have cross-play and cross-progression for Xbox One, Switch, and PC. No PS4 cross-play or cross-progression between consoles, but they want to.

https://www.dualshockers.com/power-...erview/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Same with Paladins. They're introducing cross play and progression between Xbox, Switch, and PC in the next update, and included the following bullets in the patch notes:

• We are technically ready to support cross-play on other platforms as the opportunity arises
  • We are technically ready to support cross-progression on other platforms as the opportunity arises

Feb 26, 2018
Do fanboys still trying to push that PS4 DRM narrative after 6 years? Keep up the fight lol

Sony being shit with crossplay as always. But its strange that some games get it and some don't. They should just open the gates for everyone and be done with it.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
How come? Because they're the leaders of the market, same as it was how come Microsoft last gen, it's such a stupid question with an obvious answer and it's cool that people are finally demanding it but it doesn't need to be presented in such a silly manner when everyone knows

Also, holy shit War Thunder is still alive?! How is it nowadays?
I'm sorry but It grates me to read but bu but last gen. Who gives a shit how it was done. It's a completely new generation and more importantly a much broader technological and connected world today than it was then. Plus it's called progress.

All i want is cross play and cross progression. It should just be a standard now and it will be in the future. Sony are just dragging their feet and it's annoying.

Good on the devs, let's keep it going.

@dedmunk

Banned
Oct 11, 2018
sonyERA: cross-play only matters when we can praise Sony for allowing it.

Serious though, I don't think cross-play is a huge deal like some people make it out to be, it sure is nice to have though - especially for games with light population. But you can't go saying cross-play doesn't matter at all and then go kissing the ground Sony walk on when they eventually allow it (aka Fortnite).

And to try and sling shit at Microsoft now for not allowing it last gen is stupid. Yeah they didn't allow it then but they are on board now. Just think if no one was ever allowed to change their stance there would never be any progress.

Microsoft are on board now, regardless of their stance last gen they are being progressive, Sony arent.

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
How come? Because they're the leaders of the market, same as it was how come Microsoft last gen, it's such a stupid question with an obvious answer and it's cool that people are finally demanding it but it doesn't need to be presented in such a silly manner when everyone knows

Also, holy shit War Thunder is still alive?! How is it nowadays?

Still very actively being played. You can tell by the various people begging for PSVR patch in this thread